01-27-15 01:41 PM
208 ... 56789
tools
    The idea of possibly displaying "qwertyuiop" as BlackBerry is absolutely genius! haha I love that idea. But in reality. You would need 10 small little screens that are able to change each letter. So it will end up being very costly.

But I do love the idea and props for thinking that up.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    dararede likes this.
    12-02-14 08:00 AM
    Looks like they envision another Passport-style keyboard, which would be a huge disappointment to me. If you are going to offer a variant of a slider phone, why not go to the extra effort of offering a full physical keyboard?
    I have no problem with them offering a virtual row as well, to those who want that, but provide 4 full rows, or at the very least, 3 rows with letters and symbols printed on the keys.
    12-02-14 09:19 AM
    If the piece that covers the 2nd and 3rd rows of the keyboard ends up at the bottom of the device when the keyboard is in use, that means the device would have to be as thick as 2 rows of keys. based on these sketches. That's a problem.
    12-07-14 04:23 PM
    If the piece that covers the 2nd and 3rd rows of the keyboard ends up at the bottom of the device when the keyboard is in use, that means the device would have to be as thick as 2 rows of keys. based on these sketches. That's a problem.
    If you measure on the diagram the length of the two keyboard rows they are indeed longer than the part that flips down. (in the diagram that shows the KB fully deployed you can see the bottom now juts out a mm or two) But you make a good point, this device would likely be fairly thick, along with only having the passport style three row keyboard, it removes a lot of the desirability of a slider

BB for Life
    Tim Heard likes this.
    12-07-14 04:50 PM
    Doesn't look like the phone needs to be any thicker as the keyboard stores underneath the top row and under the chin of the device.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mycj7; 12-07-14 at 05:14 PM.
    12-07-14 04:59 PM
    Doesn't look like the phone needs to be any thicker as the keyboard stores underneath the top row and under the chin of the device.

Posted via CB10
    But the chin has to be the same width as 2 rows and that's what sits at the bottom of the device (underneath the phone) when the keyboard is exposed.
    12-07-14 05:28 PM
    But i think it will be quite hard to use the KB. Since all the weight from all top part might made the KB not as easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 11:40 PM
    Agreed. If given the option between this new design, and a slider phone with a large screen and a full keyboard, I'd take the slider in a heartbeat.

If you measure on the diagram the length of the two keyboard rows they are indeed longer than the part that flips down. (in the diagram that shows the KB fully deployed you can see the bottom now juts out a mm or two) But you make a good point, this device would likely be fairly thick, along with only having the passport style three row keyboard, it removes a lot of the desirability of a slider

BB for Life
    12-09-14 04:42 PM
    Agreed. If given the option between this new design, and a slider phone with a large screen and a full keyboard, I'd take the slider in a heartbeat.
    +1

I would definitely prefer a classic, Torch style slider over this concept; even if it had cool features built into the static row of keys.

BB for Life
    Tim Heard likes this.
    12-10-14 08:31 AM
    I like this concept.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 12:15 PM
    The Passport has taught me not to pass judgement on a concept until I see the actual product. Everyone, including Kevin and Bla1ze were sceptical about the Passport when it first leaked.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-10-14 05:27 PM
    The Passport may not be as ugly as people thought it would be, but as a Passport owner now, and a former slider owner, I'd take a slider with a large screen over a Passport any day. That's not saying that a Passport is a terrible phone. A slider would just be better for my needs.
    A slider is a blend of what people like about phones with full physical keyboards, an pure touch screen phones. Done well, it would be my phone for life.

The Passport has taught me not to pass judgement on a concept until I see the actual product. Everyone, including Kevin and Bla1ze were sceptical about the Passport when it first leaked.

Passported to you with a touch enabled keyboard!
    IggieX, RyanGermann and KCSFINEST like this.
    12-11-14 10:52 AM
    Whoever came up with this engineering masterpiece is brilliant. I hope this design sees the light of days and not another wasted project.
    dararede likes this.
    12-20-14 04:44 PM
    Looks like this may be the long awaited successor to the Torch slider.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    Yeah, I had the Torch 2 which was a great phone, so this new "hideable" keyboard may be the Torch successor.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-20-14 09:27 PM
    I'm lost on why the QWERTY row would be at the bottom. It would make more sense to have punctuation marks to supplement a virtual keyboard while the "hidden" physical keyboard isn't in use.

Cool concept. I can't wait to see if it's announced next year.
    12-25-14 11:13 PM
    Just in case anyone from BlackBerry subscribes to this thread, the real value of a slider phone is that it providers users both a full touch screen and a full physical keyboard.
    I really hope BlackBerry understands that, and doesn't attempt to include a Passport style keyboard for this hybrid device. If that's what they're thinking, I personally would prefer a slider.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 08:12 PM
    Just in case anyone from BlackBerry subscribes to this thread, the real value of a slider phone is that it providers users both a full touch screen and a full physical keyboard.
    I really hope BlackBerry understands that, and doesn't attempt to include a Passport style keyboard for this hybrid device. If that's what they're thinking, I personally would prefer a slider.

Posted via CB10
    A Slider would be fine with me. Also, I believe that if done without pre-labeling it a lower tier(cheap) BlackBerry, give it some up- to- date specs and sex appeal- with advertising, it might do well, IMO. Not because everyone wants the best specs, but, we don't want a repeat of the 9800/9810. IMO.

from my Z30 on 10.3.1.2072 via Tap-a-Talk (~_*)
    01-17-15 08:36 PM
    A Slider would be fine with me. Also, I believe that if done without pre-labeling it a lower tier(cheap) BlackBerry, give it some up- to- date specs and sex appeal- with advertising, it might do well, IMO. Not because everyone wants the best specs, but, we don't want a repeat of the 9800/9810. IMO.

What exactly do you not want a repeat of that was the original torch?

I agree this device may be a hit, simply because it's quite different without making sacrifices, and may provide some great features through the capacitive key strip.

BB for Life
    01-18-15 12:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree. I would want a screen that slides up revealing a four row keyboard that would be identical to the virtual keyboard in size . An updated Milan. Not a fan of the three row keyboard.
    01-18-15 03:50 AM
    It will be a thicker device just to add 12 cm into screen. Personally I prefer current passport size, however the idea look cool and might be low end price device.

Passport
    01-18-15 04:29 AM
    01-18-15 09:08 PM
    The original Torch had a small screen, and a small, cramped keyboard.
    Also, every Torch I ever held felt as if the keyboard would come off in short order.
    The Torch came out quite some time ago though. Any shortcomings in the original design can easily be remedied with a newer model.
    For anyone who wants a slider phone, a bit more thickness is an acceptable tradeoff.
    I wouldn't touch a new Torch though if BlackBerry's intent was to foist another virtual keyboard on us. I don't mind having a virtual keyboard available, but not at the expense of a fully functioning physical keyboard.

* I personally don't care about the traditional BlackBerry "belt."

I agree this device may be a hit, simply because it's quite different without making sacrifices, and may provide some great features through the capacitive key strip.

BB for Life

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 09:42 PM
    The original Torch had a small screen, and a small, cramped keyboard.
    Also, every Torch I ever held felt as if the keyboard would come off in short order.
    The Torch came out quite some time ago though. Any shortcomings in the original design can easily be remedied with a newer model.
    For anyone who wants a slider phone, a bit more thickness is an acceptable tradeoff.
    I wouldn't touch a new Torch though if BlackBerry's intent was to foist another virtual keyboard on us. I don't mind having a virtual keyboard available, but not at the expense of a fully functioning physical keyboard.

* I personally don't care about the traditional BlackBerry "belt."

Posted via CB10
    I kind of get that, although I don't agree that the original torch keyboard felt like it would break. Quite frankly, I am fine with a thick slider device, if I can have a full touchscreen experience and the option of using a real keyboard for longer messages/emails then it is certainly worth a bit of thickness

BB for Life
    01-18-15 10:49 PM

BB for Life
    I owned both. The 9810 was considered a stop- gap/ take-it-or-leave-it device.....until the 9900 was released. I have no problem with the virtual keyboard. IMHO, Just build/release the device as a top tier device(and justify why) or don't do it at all. I don't mind paying extra - if it is worth it.

01-19-15 12:41 AM
    I went back and found a couple of recent articles that are referencing rumors of a slider phone being announced soon.
    Looks like it's the new hybrid device that they're referring to.
    If that's the case, I'm disappointed. I'd take the slider in a heartbeat. Based on what I have seen of the hybrid design, I don't think I'd be interested, largely because it wouldn't be offering a full physical keyboard.
    01-19-15 11:53 AM
208 ... 56789