01-27-15 12:41 PM
208 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Exactly. And it takes some of the providers months to test devices on their networks once a new model has been released. Probably *at least* a year.

Why, prolly got a year before it comes out, if they go thru with it

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 07:53 AM
    Of course... but not if it's a Passport with a different hardware keyboard. The software is ready, the internals are the same. You just need to make sure the mechanism is sturdy enough to withstand being handled by a cook on a TV show.
    10-21-14 08:32 AM
    Doesn't look at all like it will be built on a Passport frame, or designed like a Passport. Would be more like a Z30 or smaller with a keyboard. ... Different screen ratios, for example.

Of course... but not if it's a Passport with a different hardware keyboard. The software is ready, the internals are the same. You just need to make sure the mechanism is sturdy enough to withstand being handled by a cook on a TV show.
    10-21-14 09:50 AM
    Doesn't look at all like it will be built on a Passport frame, or designed like a Passport. Would be more like a Z30 or smaller with a keyboard. ... Different screen ratios, for example.
    Afaik, the base is the Passport, but let's not forget that they've also been playing with Ontario for a while now and haven't released it along with the Passport.
    10-21-14 10:57 AM
    Interesting. Hadn't heard that. ... Makes me a lot less interested in the device.

When you look at the pictures though, it doesn't look at all like it's a Passport screen. Looks much more like it's intended to be the dimensions of a Z10 or Z30.

Afaik, the base is the Passport, but let's not forget that they've also been playing with Ontario for a while now and haven't released it along with the Passport.
    10-21-14 01:41 PM
    Here is a photo that was posted on a channel, it was very dark but nothing hides from photo software these days. It's not good quality but looks like a Full Touch with 1 row keyboard. That is used to access your phone in someway. Can't say I really like it but it's here to look at.

Original
    New patent for a hybrid device-1414006948234_683001.jpeg

Edited
    New patent for a hybrid device-1414006948234_683001_edit1_edit_edit_edit_edit.jpeg

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    Plazmic Flame and Q10Bold like this.
    10-22-14 02:52 PM
    10-22-14 03:33 PM
    Here is a photo that was posted on a channel, it was very dark but nothing hides from photo software these days. It's not good quality but looks like a Full Touch with 1 row keyboard. That is used to access your phone in someway. Can't say I really like it but it's here to look at.

Original
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1414006948234_683001.jpeg 
Views:	2085 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	308516

Edited

Name:	1414006948234_683001_edit1_edit_edit_edit_edit.jpeg 
Views:	2083 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	308517

BlackBerry 10 Wallpapers (BBM Channel) C004635F8
    What will the marketing campaign say..? Work tall?
    10-22-14 03:40 PM
    Work 1 row

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 04:17 PM
    "Always in the first row"

Via CB10 with the superior STL100-2 on 10.3.0.1052
    10-22-14 05:31 PM
    Meh. Looks like a mechanism that will be terribly cumbersome to use often. And one that might suffer from wear and tear very easily...

I like their plan to release more "alternative" devices, as long as they actually cater to a crowd. I don't see the target audience here.
    "16:9 landscape mode with portrait keyboard! Use it for anything! Except typing..."

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    10-22-14 05:37 PM
    Meh. Looks like a mechanism that will be terribly cumbersome to use often. And one that might suffer from wear and tear very easily...

I like their plan to release more "alternative" devices, as long as they actually cater to a crowd. I don't see the target audience here.
    "16:9 landscape mode with portrait keyboard! Use it for anything! Except typing..."

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    Yes..Even if it slides it seems it would be a lot uncomfortable to type on..The device seems to be 5.5" without the keyboard. Put 2 rows more and you'll easily reach more than 6"..And it is not comparable to the weird size of the Passport, which you can (and have to)use with 2 hands..
    10-22-14 05:55 PM

Original

Name:	1414006948234_683001.jpeg 
Views:	2085 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	308516

Edited

Name:	1414006948234_683001_edit1_edit_edit_edit_edit.jpeg 
Views:	2083 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	308517
    So.... it's the Visa/Victoria in post #131

EDIT: Well, as Dhabkirk says on his blog:

At a meeting with reporters in September, Chen said the company is at work on new devices – including devices that will be introduced at the Mobile World Congress conference in March. We suspect this to be the BlackBerry Visa and a special project. (Stay tuned for a preview of the BlackBerry Visa!)
    Source: BlackBerry Receives Patents for Conference Calling, Wearables
    10-22-14 07:51 PM
    So it exists...

New patent for a hybrid device-img_20141023_141921.png

They should just not rely on the physical keyboard, but make it usable Z30 / Torch style... full on-screen keyboard, if desired. Plus added benefit of shortcuts, yeah...

Anyone of the 16:9 / all-touch crowd who could live with those extra few millimetres will get their slab... and never has to fold out the KB!

So BlackBerry can stay BlackBerry and dudes can get their slab, including me... :-))

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    10-22-14 11:27 PM
    I still don't see the point here. Saving 1cm on a device that is already so stretched? With a technique that means you have to physically adjust your device every time you start typing?
    No keyboard shortcuts with it folded in, still need virtual symbol keys, no landscape typing?

With the Passport the lack of landscape/rotated typing is a non-issue, the aspect doesn't change so it's natural just to type in portrait mode. But as soon as the aspect changes, people will expect to be able to use it fully in both orientations.

Looks like some of the hilarious device mock-ups that where initially made of the Passport. If this is the developing team at their best in creating a new type of slider, I have to say I am unimpressed. I was sceptical of the Passport at first, but nowhere near as much as here.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-23-14 01:12 AM
    Really? On a device like the above, the virtual keyboard would still display if the physical is hidden. When it's hidden, top row is there, presumably for shortcut keys or a touch sensitive strip. Landscape mode you would get 3/4 of your screen taken up by a virtual keyboard like every other smartphone today.
    10-24-14 08:28 AM
    It's clear with this patent they are trying to provide a slider-like form factor, but the reason for trying this flip-out style isn't really clear. I don't believe it would just be for the marketing opportunity and the cool factor, as it seems it would take up a lot of space internally, whereas a slider would not likely take this much space, it would just be thicker (supposedly a problem since people would prefer thin and bendy, over a bit of thickness)

So this seems like it would benefit a large phone, like others were saying 5-6" so that leads me to a comparison with the Note series. Which, if you break down, is generally an oversized phone, powerhouse specs and a stylus, selling it at top tier pricing.

So now we can imagine a new BlackBerry, an oversized phone, with powerhouse specs and a pop-out keyboard for when you want it.

This sounds like a great idea for those who want a big screen, advanced phone, would like to have a KB (trackpad) once in awhile, and the features it would offer when closed. It's adding value to the traditional phone formula, so if it's competitive spec and price wise, ideally it would attract a large market

BB for Life
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    10-24-14 01:28 PM
    Wow! This sounds neato and nifty

Z10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    10-24-14 02:05 PM
    No trolling, serious question for the fundamentalist all-touch / purist crowd:

Look at the thing. Is that one row of keys really that bad?
    Even if it didn't fold out...? The remaining bottom bezel is not too oversized either... ?

COULD YOU LIVE with it,
    if it was USABLE entirely in pure Z30 mode?

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    eyhab27 likes this.
    11-12-14 03:25 PM
    I'm not an all-touch purist, but since you haven't gotten a reply, I'll chime in.
    If BlackBerry produced another phone with a keyboard, my desire would be that it
    have a full physical keyboard, or at the very minimum, a Passport-style keyboard with a few
    additional keys, such as an alt key, a larger space bar, and also symbols on the keys.

If it were solely a slab phone with 1 row of keys, I wouldn't have any desire to purchase it.

On the other hand, if 3 rows of keys were hidden, and 1 remained when in touch mode, that might be
    useful.

No trolling, serious question for the fundamentalist all-touch / purist crowd:

Look at the thing. Is that one row of keys really that bad?
    Even if it didn't fold out...? The remaining bottom bezel is not too oversized either... ?

COULD YOU LIVE with it,
    if it was USABLE entirely in pure Z30 mode?

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-13-14 03:45 PM
    It's clear with this patent they are trying to provide a slider-like form factor, but the reason for trying this flip-out style isn't really clear. I don't believe it would just be for the marketing opportunity and the cool factor, as it seems it would take up a lot of space internally, whereas a slider would not likely take this much space, it would just be thicker (supposedly a problem since people would prefer thin and bendy, over a bit of thickness)

So this seems like it would benefit a large phone, like others were saying 5-6" so that leads me to a comparison with the Note series. Which, if you break down, is generally an oversized phone, powerhouse specs and a stylus, selling it at top tier pricing.

So now we can imagine a new BlackBerry, an oversized phone, with powerhouse specs and a pop-out keyboard for when you want it.

This sounds like a great idea for those who want a big screen, advanced phone, would like to have a KB (trackpad) once in awhile, and the features it would offer when closed. It's adding value to the traditional phone formula, so if it's competitive spec and price wise, ideally it would attract a large market

BB for Life
    I like your reasoning. I just can't see the value of this sort of slider concept on a standard phone. I've tried, just too many compromises. But yes, go bigger towards a phablet and I could definitely see the value. This would be a clever way of getting into the phablet/tablet space with a unique product. It would certainly be revolutionary.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 06:04 AM
    So it exists...

Name:	IMG_20141023_141921.png 
Views:	1648 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	308637 ?
    here is a better look
    Attachment 317638

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    Attached Thumbnails New patent for a hybrid device-prototype_edit_edit.jpg  
    Last edited by Matty; 11-29-14 at 11:06 PM.
    11-29-14 01:56 PM
    here is a better look
    Attachment 317638

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    So an idea hit me last night, I apologize for not giving credit if it has been mentioned before but I have not seen this idea yet.

Building on the idea of the top row of keys being an E-ink display, in other words, not having printed static letters but allowing for the displayed row to display something relevant to current use:
    When pop-out KB is stowed the strip of exposed buttons could function as the belt (with the entire strip functioning as a trackpad) but double tap or push certain buttons for Call/End, BBMenu and Back.

Now the coolest part to this idea:
    QWERTYUIOP could also display as BLACKBERRY! Imagine when you turn on/wake up the device it displays BlackBerry across the bottom row of keys. This could be even better if the color (backlight) of this row was customizable. Now that sounds like a cool alternative to constantly displaying QWERTYUIOP. I don't think this would use very much battery power, and would add that cool factor, I'm sure you could also limit it's backlighting/display capabilities to preserve power as well, basically leaving it a black row of keys until the KB is deployed, at which point it lights up displaying the proper letters

BB for Life
    12-01-14 02:59 PM
    After looking at the devices, i totally agree that the one row KB can be used to show BLACKBERRY instead of QWERTYUIOP. Which kinda makes it cool!

And having a touch enabled KB on the side does make it unique and helpful for scrolling on landscape mode.

But making one row KB and making the device looks like the picture will mean that the device will not use metal as side frame due to mechanism of the KB.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 05:32 PM
    After looking at the devices, i totally agree that the one row KB can be used to show BLACKBERRY instead of QWERTYUIOP. Which kinda makes it cool!

And having a touch enabled KB on the side does make it unique and helpful for scrolling on landscape mode.

But making one row KB and making the device looks like the picture will mean that the device will not use metal as side frame due to mechanism of the KB.

Posted via CB10
    I think they will still opt for metal for side frame for rigidity..well, just my assumption
    12-01-14 06:07 PM
208 ... 45678 ...