01-27-15 01:41 PM
208 ... 34567 ...
tools
    There will always be gadget geeks that get all goose-bumpy over the idea of things snapping or clicking together. It reminds me of Neo's Nokia phone with the spring-loaded slider in The Matrix. They all want something that feels like the Legos or Transformers they grew up with.

There is little practical benefit to this kind of moving part yet some still want it because it clicks and transforms.
    ponpiri likes this.
    09-21-14 03:16 PM
    I miss my Torch, but ended up with the Q10 as I was at renewal time and didn't wanted a physical keyboard. Don't get me wrong, I like the Q but miss the form factor of a slider. Larger screen for those times I want to browse/watch vids, keyboard for when I need to hammer out some communications. This new form factor appeals to me as I get both, a larger screen and a kb when needed. Plus it's about 9 months till contract renewal, hopefully something like this will be out by then.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 06:08 PM
    No doubt the device will be thicker and really the keyboard is at the very bottom.
    Still suspicious about the space and at what cost it will be taken. And yet another concern related to the design is attractivity of this hideout for the dust and other particles.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    09-21-14 07:06 PM
    I'm right beside you
    Me, too. We can all line up with his credit card in our hands!

I have more friends because I do drugs!!
    09-26-14 08:14 AM
    I'd break that within the first week.
    Lendo likes this.
    09-26-14 10:06 AM
    So bummed that this is (reportedly) coming out so soon after the release of the Passport.
    There's no way I'll be able to justify buying one right when it comes out.
    I have yet to see my Passport (arrives today) but I would take this new device over a Passport in
    a heartbeat.... It would be even better if they would manage to add back in a 4th row of keys.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    09-26-14 10:28 AM
    So bummed that this is (reportedly) coming out so soon after the release of the Passport.
    There's no way I'll be able to justify buying one right when it comes out.
    I have yet to see my Passport (arrives today) but I would take this new device over a Passport in
    a heartbeat.... It would be even better if they would manage to add back in a 4th row of keys.
    Could always sell the passport and then buy the new one.
    09-26-14 12:06 PM
    i have my credit card in my hand waiting for this thing to be released. if i turn into a skeleton in the meantime, it was nice knowing you guys.
    Same here.

From my sexy Q10 on 10.3.0.1154
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-26-14 03:25 PM
    There will always be gadget geeks that get all goose-bumpy over the idea of things snapping or clicking together. It reminds me of Neo's Nokia phone with the spring-loaded slider in The Matrix. They all want something that feels like the Legos or Transformers they grew up with.

There is little practical benefit to this kind of moving part yet some still want it because it clicks and transforms.
    Seriously?

Devices like this one (or sliders) are nice because you get the screen real estate of an all touch device and a keyboard when you want it. I'd think that would be obvious to anyone. We rarely get them because 1, mainstream types mock anything that isn't a glass slab and 2, klutzes often break them and go whining for replacements so building a device with moving parts often turns out to not be worth the trouble for phone manufacturers.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:34 PM

So the qwertyuiop part still stays up. BlackBerry is really close to making a completely square phone I'm having goosebumps.
    09-26-14 10:54 PM
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...fdb0351514.jpg

So the qwertyuiop part still stays up. BlackBerry is really close to making a completely square phone I'm having goosebumps.
    What makes you think it would be square?
    09-26-14 11:27 PM
    Heh. I've used a few laptops that heated up enough that they probably *could* have doubled as hotplates. :-)

This would be epic! File a patent!

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    ponpiri likes this.
    09-30-14 01:31 PM
    THIS! Guys I can't tell you how much I am craving for a slider. I never had any of the other ones available through blackberry and sliders are my favorite phones. I can't justify getting a passport right now. My Q10 will suffice until the BB10 slider is revealed.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure whether a slider is doable at all, if you have a look at the Torch and realize how thick it is to make it sturdy and durable.

I could image this is the only way they can actually create a KB device with a 16:9 screen that is feasible and durable enough, given how thin people expect their phones to be nowadays (looking at you, iPhone 6!).

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    coaltowking and Mr4aces like this.
    10-02-14 05:31 PM
    Heh. I've used a few laptops that heated up enough that they probably *could* have doubled as hotplates. :-)
    Yeah, dude! I just put my tea (Yes. Tea, you uncivilized heathens! ) behind the vent on my gaming laptop...ends up heating my tea a bit.

Also, I actually want the passport...that screen real-estate! I can just use my TV for videos if I need...16:9 isn't that important to me.

Ah, who am I kidding? I want them both! Wheee!
    10-04-14 05:01 AM
    While the Torch was kind of thick, especially by today's standards, I have to think that these days they could shave a few mm off, as the technology being used then and now are miles apart. Even if it was a little on the thick side but had a huge battery and competing specs, I think people would go for it, a 2 year old phone with an Otterbox or similar case is substantially thicker than this would be

BB for Life
    BigRob673 likes this.
    10-04-14 02:43 PM
    I'd like this, if they'd manage to add some physical keys for numbers and symbols. Or 3 rows of keys that actually *show* the numbers and symbols on them as well. (I am still in the "I dislike the Passport keyboard" camp, after having had it for a week+.)

I'm finding that the Passport is good for reading documents, but there's a lot of wasted screen space when watching videos. I think I'd want this to be essentially a Z30 with a hidden keyboard, and maybe some fixed keys at the very bottom. ... Like a wider space bar and some keys that could serve multiple functions, depending on whether the keyboard were out or not.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    10-06-14 01:15 PM
    I'd like this, if they'd manage to add some physical keys for numbers and symbols. Or 3 rows of keys that actually *show* the numbers and symbols on them as well. (I am still in the "I dislike the Passport keyboard" camp, after having had it for a week+.)

I'm finding that the Passport is good for reading documents, but there's a lot of wasted screen space when watching videos. I think I'd want this to be essentially a Z30 with a hidden keyboard, and maybe some fixed keys at the very bottom. ... Like a wider space bar and some keys that could serve multiple functions, depending on whether the keyboard were out or not.
    I totally agree.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 03:23 PM

Agreed. I could continue with my Q10 until this is available.

As the other comment- no Legos.......just goosebumps.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 03:35 PM
    I like it and I'm excited to see more about it. However, for me the best thing about a qwerty keyboard isn't the typing experience, it's the shortcuts that the keys provide.
    When the keys are immediately accessible there is a benefit that may not be available with a slider. If they can maintain, at least some of, those shortcuts with this particular model may very well be the deciding factor for me.

Posted via CB10
    Niro Sri likes this.
    10-07-14 05:10 PM
    Well, if you want a keyboard for your phone that doesn't compete with screen space, then you either need a slider phone, or something like the new concept.
    I personally can see a lot of value in having a device like this, provided they get the keyboard right.

Mr4aces and coaltowking like this.
    10-09-14 11:18 AM
    Now that I've seen this concept... I am undecided on getting the Classic... FFS!!!

10-14-14 08:05 PM
    You are not alone

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 08:28 AM
    So basically I read the patent and this is what I gathered the patent is saying...

Ultimately you have 2 separate keyboards (first keyboard and second keyboard) the first keyboard contains of I believe the two rows of physical keys, and thats the section that is able to flip in and out of the device. The Second keyboard stays static on the device. Now the part of the keyboard that flips around I believe is a constant QWERTY keyboard, no changing in purpose. The first keyboard is changeable between QWERTY keys, soft programmable keys, characters and all that...basically its a physical row of keys but the illumination is able to change and the software will offer different uses for those keys.

Now you can use the device with just the second keyboard showing and when the first one is stowed away then second one can have various uses or be unused completely. When opening the first keyboard, it creates a full 3-row keyboard.

The other thing is that the PURPOSE of this patent is distinctly to allow for a smaller compact device, yet allowing for multiple uses...similar to the old Torch, but updated nicer...So you will have the full screen that will not move at all, and if your only using touchscreen then the device will be smaller in your hand to hold, but then open the keyboard and it extends the device and allows for the full keyboard!

I have added more photos to show how the second keyboard gets stowed away in the phone.

Attachment 298687Attachment 298688
    Man, you are Morgan Freeman to most of us.

Z30
    10-17-14 08:51 AM
    Why, prolly got a year before it comes out, if they go thru with it

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 11:43 PM
    Want something like this. Going to wait and see. If it doesn't get announced or if it is not as good as it seems it could be then passport should be on sale by then.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:47 AM
208 ... 34567 ...