01-27-15 12:41 PM
208 ... 23456 ...
tools
    My immediate doubt with these kinds of things is how robust the mechanism would be. It's not to say that it won't be perfect, but I'm always slightly hesitant about them.

Posted via CB10
    Thrac Dark and CanuckBB like this.
    09-19-14 10:43 AM
    The physical keyboard that's able to change characters... I wanted that!!!

Check out my photography channel
    09-19-14 10:57 AM
    Sounds like a variant on the slider that many of us have been begging for ever since the new OS was released.
    I think my head may explode. ... About to buy that Passport, because there are no other viable options, only to
    see that something that's much more similar to what I want could be out in another year or so.
    09-19-14 11:44 AM
    Done *this* particular implementation of keyboard management? Excuse my skepticism, but if you could provide some evidence of a phone like this, it'd go a long way to justifying your claim.

Posted via CB10
    I was referring to the stylus. Samsung has done that with the Note. I'm willing to bet Blackberry could do it (couple a stylus to a phablet) better.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-19-14 11:50 AM
    My point is that this device would be only shorter by two rows of keys. It hardly seems to be worth while. Just make a Z device with a Passport type keyboard.
    purplefish212 likes this.
    09-19-14 12:58 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=940298

Is it that same keyboard we are looking at here? :O

Check out my photography channel
    09-19-14 01:07 PM
    Seems like the keys would be a little sunken when in the 'closed' position. maybe to prevent from accidental keypresses? Looks a little odd, but might just be the image.
    09-19-14 01:10 PM
    While it is a great mechanical design, it is still a key board and the phone needs to offer more functional or utility feature.
    09-19-14 01:47 PM
    Like what?
    I don't look at they keyboard on my laptop and think "Man, I wish this laptop could also serve as a hot plate."
    For those of us who look at a phone as a useful tool that we enjoy using for personal reasons, but also need for business reasons, we need phones with good keyboards. We don't care if they can double as joysticks, or even if they can also double as trackpads.
    If this future device had a really good QWERTY keyboard that would fold away, revealing a nice large slab screen, I might even buy two of them.

While it is a great mechanical design, it is still a key board and the phone needs to offer more functional or utility feature.
    clickitykeys and J Morehouse like this.
    09-19-14 02:15 PM
    This looks very cool, but I seem to recall seeing this same, or very similar, BlackBerry patent a year or two ago on these forums..

Personally I would still prefer a slider, can't beat the slide open to answer, closed to hang up, and many other great slider features. I don't understand why people are so against them, I used to slide/slam my Torch screen open/closed dozens, hundreds of times a day and never, ever had a problem that didn't appear on all old BBs nor did I ever break the screen.

This is a cool idea though, would be best if it was a full 4row PKB. Would be cool and amplify the gimmick factor if it was powered when the keyboard came out too (stupid for many reasons I know, but see Note Edge for example of great dumb gimmicks)

BB for Life
    09-19-14 02:24 PM
    Like what?
    I don't look at they keyboard on my laptop and think "Man, I wish this laptop could also serve as a hot plate."
    For those of us who look at a phone as a useful tool that we enjoy using for personal reasons, but also need for business reasons, we need phones with good keyboards. We don't care if they can double as joysticks, or even if they can also double as trackpads.
    If this future device had a really good QWERTY keyboard that would fold away, revealing a nice large slab screen, I might even buy two of them.
    This^^
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    09-19-14 02:52 PM
    i have my credit card in my hand waiting for this thing to be released. if i turn into a skeleton in the meantime, it was nice knowing you guys.
    09-19-14 03:55 PM
    It's a beauty. BlackBerry is you are getting this, just do it. You never know, you might just create a great from factor millions of people want.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-19-14 04:54 PM
    i have my credit card in my hand waiting for this thing to be released. if i turn into a skeleton in the meantime, it was nice knowing you guys.
    I'm right beside you
    09-19-14 05:01 PM
    I have lost the faith. The market for a slider would be really small after the Classic and Passport are released. A lot of former BBOS users have already converted to virtual keyboards. There would probably be more demand for high end all touch phones.

I think too that the ergonomics of the Classic will be tough to beat.

My fantasy phone is a Qwerty with a 4:3 screen.

In looking at figure 1 and 6 the decrease in phone length when the Keyboard is folded in is very minimal such that really the slider has a minimal benefit. If the entire keyboard folded in, well maybe.

Edit : I just read the rumor about the screen size being 5.5 inches ..I guess that explains the need for the sliding keyboard.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-19-14 at 10:36 PM.
    09-19-14 05:16 PM
    Looks very interesting.

Not for me though. Now that I've been by the all touch bug there's no going back.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Karben likes this.
    09-19-14 06:28 PM
    This one looks definitely interesting and innovative. I am sold on the concept and I'd love to see how this might be implemented on a real device. The only thing I am concerned about is the volume this keyboard will take within the housing. Is there really that much free space and if there is, isn't this kind of design going to be implemented at an expense of a larger battery?

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    09-19-14 07:17 PM
    This one looks definitely interesting and innovative. I am sold on the concept and I'd love to see how this might be implemented on a real device. The only thing I am concerned about is the volume this keyboard will take within the housing. Is there really that much free space and if there is, isn't this kind of design going to be implemented at an expense of a larger battery?

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    No doubt the device will be thicker and really the keyboard is at the very bottom.
    09-19-14 10:27 PM
    I like the innovation. But slide open a keyboard Ala torch, or "flick" open a keyboard... I think it might be best to stick with what people have grown to love. like the belt of keys on the Bolds etc. But I do like it; maybe a very limited release??
    09-19-14 10:28 PM
    I'm concerned by the ergonomics of this thing. The keyboard is so low on the device it will be really awkward to type because the device will be so top heavy when you hold it. But I guess that an obvious problem so Blackberry must have a solution, assuming this is more than a pie in the sky patent.

Wait, is this device actually confirmed (unofficially of course)?
    09-19-14 11:56 PM
    Cool but I would prefer an slider.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 09:02 PM
    Cool but I would prefer an slider.

Posted via CB10
    THIS! Guys I can't tell you how much I am craving for a slider. I never had any of the other ones available through blackberry and sliders are my favorite phones. I can't justify getting a passport right now. My Q10 will suffice until the BB10 slider is revealed.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-21-14 04:33 AM
    Bananas! (and bananas are good!)
    I might consider going back to a PKB device like this where it is optional. Loving the all touch of the Z line, but there are the rare occasions that I miss the PKB.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    09-21-14 09:38 AM
    I might consider going back to a PKB device like this where it is optional. Loving the all touch of the Z line, but there are the rare occasions that I miss the PKB.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Right there with you: I'm also entrenched in the all-touch world now, but when this bad boy becomes a reality, I may fall for a PKB again.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 10:21 AM
    This would be epic! File a patent!

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    09-21-14 12:03 PM
208 ... 23456 ...