01-27-15 01:41 PM
208 1234 ...
tools
    Screen looks 16:9 (definitely not square) and I can't see them doing anything less than 5 inches in size.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah given the 3-row keyboard, the symbol and number functionality will be like the Passport, requiring a virtual row right above the upper key row. That means they would push the keyboard right up to the visible screen edge. If you look at the Z30, there is plenty of space below the screen that is currently taken up by the silver lip and the massive BlackBerry logo. I can see a Z30 size screen, with only a minor overall length increase, being very plausible. Just have to figure out where to plaster the BlackBerry logo (maybe on the pivoting chin?)

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 03:24 PM
    Like shortcut keys that they say the Classic has?!
    09-18-14 03:27 PM
    This looks sick! I'd love them to pursue this immediately!

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-18-14 03:29 PM
    Interesting....CrackBerry, can you please send out the investigation team on this one?
    Yah, like that's going to happen. Most of them either
    1. have better stuff to do
    2. are under NDA
    Just look at how slow they are about posting new OS leaks, etc. They post about the most bland and insignificant topics
    allengeorge likes this.
    09-18-14 03:39 PM
    Probably closer to 3/4", which is significant on a mobile device. It also will prevent it from looking "top heavy" (a long screen atop a little keyboard).

But what this is really all about is about doing something different. First the Passport and now this,.. it really starts to paint picture of BlackBerry as a more fervent innovator than the rest. Finally if the mechanism "feels good", then it gives it a "cool gadget" aspect.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, from the looks of the Fig.6 image I'd say closer to a 1/4" but I was trying to be generous. Well, unless the phone is like 8 inches tall.

But, to elaborate, if it's nothing more then a folding keyboard I see it as a bit of a gimmick that is likely to break or fail in some way eventually. At least that's been my experience with things like this in the past, albeit it might not be true for BlackBerry's. So, unless it has some greater functionality that we aren't seeing, as I hope/imagine there would be, it's not winning me over.

Examples: flip open to answer or awake the phone, flip close to disconnect or put the phone to sleep, capacitive keys or a single row of capacitive keys at least... there could be a lot more to it, or it may never see the light of day. I'll reserve final judgement until I see it as an actual product is all. From all we know this is intended for a phone with a 1:1 screen.

Edit: This is form someone who has never really cared for the Passport design, but loves it's functionality. So that's what I am looking for, functionality.
    09-18-14 03:40 PM
    I had a similar idea, when I posted my concept, some thought it was not a good idea, I think it is

It's animated, so click on the image and let me know what you guys think

New patent for a hybrid device-metal-3-qwerty-blkanim.gif
    09-18-14 03:49 PM
    that looks awesome.. its a different way to offer a slider without adding too much bulk
    Blacklatino and Mr4aces like this.
    09-18-14 03:50 PM
    I might have just slightly lost interest in the Passport..

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and Thrac Dark like this.
    09-18-14 04:00 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the patent is only for the keyboard system. So to try to gather any new device specs from the patent drawings would be silly at this point.

Posted via CB10
    TheScionicMan and Thrac Dark like this.
    09-18-14 04:18 PM
    I might have just slightly lost interest in the Passport..

Posted via CB10
    passport and slider will have the same hardware . no big difference . Personally i will go for the Passport
    09-18-14 04:19 PM
    by far my favorite blackberry i have ever had was my torch and i am dying for a bb10 slider concept.. whether it is this iteration of a foldable keyboard or a sliding mechanism, I really find a slider to be the best of both worlds...

this patent filing definitely did just give me hope and is making me question my decision to get a passport..

oh who am i kidding, ill just get both!
    09-18-14 04:24 PM
    Although, I've gone back to a Q10(.....for now), this gets released, I'll get it. No hype needed.
    09-18-14 04:36 PM
    The "permanent" first row of keys must have a distinct function when the full keyboard is not in use.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1154
    Shortcut hotkeys.

Or a bat mobile like keyboard transition

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-18-14 04:37 PM
    But hark! What would we call this new form factor?!? It's not a slider.
    I'd say... wait for it... a...

Flipper!

Boom. #MindBlown am I right?
    You heard it here first, my claim to fame.

I'm leaving work and going to bed now, can't possibly accomplish more today.
    Last edited by Elite1; 09-18-14 at 05:47 PM.
    09-18-14 05:16 PM
    Lol to the flipper. Torch replacement?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    09-18-14 05:18 PM
    Hmm the idea is nice.. but I want to see what it looks like.. but would consider this one over the PassPort for sure!

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.2.1531
    09-18-14 05:24 PM
    It's about time we got a flippin' hybrid BB10 device.
    Elite1 and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-18-14 05:29 PM

Flipper!

I'm leaving work and going to bed now, can possibly accomplish more today.
    LOL... Or maybe a "Hider".

Posted via CB10
    Elite1, 00stryder and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-18-14 05:31 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the patent is only for the keyboard system. So to try to gather any new device specs from the patent drawings would be silly at this point.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much my sentiments.
    09-18-14 05:33 PM

Flipper!

I'm leaving work and going to bed now, can possibly accomplish more today.
    Or the BlackBerry Flip.......DO A BLACK FLIP!
    09-18-14 05:39 PM
    So basically I read the patent and this is what I gathered the patent is saying...

Ultimately you have 2 separate keyboards (first keyboard and second keyboard) the first keyboard contains of I believe the two rows of physical keys, and thats the section that is able to flip in and out of the device. The Second keyboard stays static on the device. Now the part of the keyboard that flips around I believe is a constant QWERTY keyboard, no changing in purpose. The first keyboard is changeable between QWERTY keys, soft programmable keys, characters and all that...basically its a physical row of keys but the illumination is able to change and the software will offer different uses for those keys.

Now you can use the device with just the second keyboard showing and when the first one is stowed away then second one can have various uses or be unused completely. When opening the first keyboard, it creates a full 3-row keyboard.

The other thing is that the PURPOSE of this patent is distinctly to allow for a smaller compact device, yet allowing for multiple uses...similar to the old Torch, but updated nicer...So you will have the full screen that will not move at all, and if your only using touchscreen then the device will be smaller in your hand to hold, but then open the keyboard and it extends the device and allows for the full keyboard!

I have added more photos to show how the second keyboard gets stowed away in the phone.

New patent for a hybrid device-screen-shot-2014-09-18-6.16.23-pm.jpgNew patent for a hybrid device-screen-shot-2014-09-18-6.16.29-pm.jpg
    09-18-14 06:25 PM
    wow, definitly interesting and kind of innovative.

Im a little bit sceptical. the full keyboard has 3 rows like on the passport (+1 virtual row I think). wouldnt it look akward if you have just the top row of keys (Q - P) permanent visible? Which function do they have? Shortcuts? Trackpad (if touch sensitive as on the passport)?
    Next thing: there is a free space under the keyboard. it must be very stable so you cant press it in deep and maybe brake it. and the free space will be a magnet for dirt an dust.

Damn, Im really curious about what BlackBerry is planning with this phone. Hopefully we can get more information soon
    menshawy likes this.
    09-18-14 06:30 PM
    The first keyboard is changeable between QWERTY keys, soft programmable keys, characters and all that...basically its a physical row of keys but the illumination is able to change and the software will offer different uses for those keys.
    Such a powerful companion for the Hub. Faster than having to deal with the side menu.
    menshawy likes this.
    09-18-14 06:43 PM
    I'm intrigued and just maybe it could regain some of the people lost to iOS. I busted out my Torch the other day just for fun and I gotta say, I can still type on that thing faster than my Q10. But more importantly, it gives you the best of both worlds. I remember back when I used the Torch, all of my iPhone 4 friends loved how the screen was nearly the same size as theirs but also had the physical keyboard. And all of the young people (like myself) I knew who used to be Bold users, switched to the Torch. Now ALL of these people use iPhones except me.
    09-18-14 06:43 PM
    Pretty intriguing design...

But I need the Passport for screen size asap, can't wait for this, even though it would be noooice...

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-18-14 06:44 PM
208 1234 ...