I've been planning to buy a Blackberry device for quite a while now, and I was actually just about to buy the 9780 because of the 9700's succes, but then I read about the new devices and I was asking myself, should I wait for them? I'd prefer to have one before July for some reason. So I've a few questions and I need some advice.

Do you really think it's worth waiting for them?
    Do you expect them to be in Europe before July?

It will be my first Blackberry anyway, and I won't use it for any business related things but I always like to get the best for things of daily use, so I'm thinking about waiting for the Torch 2.

What would you guys do? Take the bold 9780 or wait for the Torch?
    04-14-11 08:52 AM
    Dude, i totally think its worth waiting for. Why buy a phone when a new one is about to come out with better features and better specs. I my self, waiting for the new devices to come in stores. I know theres no official release date but i'm crossing my fingers that it will be sooner than expected.

about the torch 2 and 9780... do you want a touch phone or just a simple phone like a 9780? with the torch you have a little bit of both keyboard and touch screen so i say torch 2.
    04-14-11 09:49 AM
    Normally, I would say not to wait, because there's always a new device right around the corner. However, given that RIM does not release new devices as quickly as other manufacturers, in this case, I think it would be worth waiting.
    04-14-11 11:22 AM
    Hmm yes I was thinking about the same, but I'm more like, the Torch 1 looks like a bold 9780 with a touchscreen to me. And before the Torch 1 came out, I was very excited about it, and I expected alot from that phone but at the end it kinda disappointed me. At the other side, the Torch 2 spec's look fair enough for me, and I guess it won't be alot more expensive then the Torch 1.

The only thing that still makes me think is the fact that I'm pretty sure it won't be released before August, that could be 4 more months...
    04-14-11 12:27 PM
    Definitely wait, When they have been released, 9780 might still be available and you can compare them
    If the New Devices are not worth it, Buy the 9780. Anyway when they're released, Look at people's opinions in this Forum.
    04-16-11 04:39 AM
    only wait if you can, after all, the newer phones are going to cost more and the current batch of RIM phones are quite good for what they do. Pair that baby (9780 or even a 9700 for a cheaper phone) with a Playbook and you won't feel like your missing out on much!
    04-17-11 10:28 AM
    Are you sure they will be more expensive? I mean the bold 9780 wasn't alot more expensive compared to the bold 9700, so will the T2 be alot more expensive then the T1?

On the other hand, the difference between the T1 and the T2 are much bigger then the 9700 and the 9780.
    04-17-11 11:02 AM
    usually when new devices like T2 are released they are expensive in the beginning. so you can expect something like $499 off contract and $199 contract pricing. later on when the devices become outdated, the prices will level off.
    04-21-11 01:55 AM
    usually when new devices like T2 are released they are expensive in the beginning. so you can expect something like $499 off contract and $199 contract pricing. later on when the devices become outdated, the prices will level off.
    Well that's fair enough for me. I just don't hope it'll reach the $600+
    04-21-11 07:16 AM
    No the new BB phones are not worth the wait. I may be comparing apples and oranges but why isn't RIM make BB phones with close to 4 inch screen with a front and rear facing camera? If they had at least that, then I would gladly stay with BBs. Yes, I am talking about android phones so no secret here that I drool over my wife's Droid X phone.

RIM's two competitors (Iphone and Android) mostly have rear and front facing cameras for video communications as well as bigger screens. I honestly do not understand their strategy. The playbook is not bad at all but why are they investing all their eggs in one basket?
    04-21-11 01:09 PM
    No the new BB phones are not worth the wait. I may be comparing apples and oranges but why isn't RIM make BB phones with close to 4 inch screen with a front and rear facing camera? If they had at least that, then I would gladly stay with BBs. Yes, I am talking about android phones so no secret here that I drool over my wife's Droid X phone.

RIM's two competitors (Iphone and Android) mostly have rear and front facing cameras for video communications as well as bigger screens. I honestly do not understand their strategy. The playbook is not bad at all but why are they investing all their eggs in one basket?
    The OP was asking should he buy a current BB or wait for the new ones since he is planning on buying a BB.
    Last edited by WillHeSurvive; 04-22-11 at 06:05 PM.
    04-21-11 01:52 PM
    I would say to wait it out a bit longer. We're already in the 2nd quarter and will probably see a 3rd quarter release of a new device.
    04-22-11 02:42 PM
    My plan is to get a 8530 with Virgin Mobile & wait until QNX(sp?) comes out. I think the generation after the Bold Touch & Torch2 will be more revolutionary. Virgin Mobile has some of the cheapest plans I've seen which suites my needs for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 09:31 PM
    I see.. Hmm well I'll just wait untill BBW and I hope they'll give a release date about the Torch 2
    04-25-11 04:18 AM
    Id also wait for the new devices (I do so), had the same thoughts as you.
    My beloved 8900 is getting really old now...

But I gonna get the new Bold Touch 9900.

I cant make you hope that the Torch2 will come out early that year.
    I think it will be in the stores around October-November.
    Its the "newest" device of them - so I think it will be out as last one...

I dont know if I`m right, but that are my thoughts about that.
    05-12-11 05:32 AM
    Since BBW is over,
    My Suggestion to all that have asked me about Blackberry's in the last week has been

WAIT! the 99XX will be released this summer, if you are an existing BB user, Hold off a little longer, it will be worth the wait.

IF you need a BB now, don't sign into a contract, but instead get a low cost second hand unit to hold you over for 3-4 months,

I have a Blackberry Torch 9800, and I am very much looking at the 9900 as my next phone, I'll be skipping the Torch 2 completely, the form factor is nice, I really like my device, but the Candy Bar form factor is where it is at for me, I don't need the larger screen, I have a Playbook
    05-12-11 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD