Seeing how even the Passport users are feeling the pain of double typing, I goot an idea:

Sincce BlackBerry obviously can no longer make descent keyboards (were they ever?, q10 is my first), they should make a touch device witth 2 tiny rows of keys under the screen - green and red. Call buttons and 6-8 buttons that can be programmed for shortcuts.

I see ppl all the time showing off how quicker they are typing on glass and I agree with them. But I can't work without the physical shortcuts. There is nothing better than a direct button for a certain function. Back in the days, ThinkPads had separate buttons for volume, brightness and etcc. With every new generation they combine those buttons more and more - not cool.

Alsoo, the device that will have sort of a hide-away partial keyboard and a permanent row - may be it will work like my idea above. It will be great.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 11:20 PM
    Sounds like the prototype device that was patented by them.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-03-15 01:19 AM
    First of all, BlackBerry does make great keyboards, they always have. The Q10, and apparently the Passport have had double typing issues, but this is a problem since BB10, probably due to redesigning the internals of the pkb to be slightly slimmer.

As a Q10 user, I have not had too many issues with the double typing, it happens occasionally, but I usually find its because I pushed that button harder than normal, or held it for a second (not long enough to capitalize)
    Either way, I would rather deal with the occasional double letter than the messes that can result from touch screen typing, atleast with double typing you can still decipher the word easily.

As to your idea, I think the partially-retracted keyboard concept that BlackBerry patented would give you exactly what your looking for, it would still be a useful row of dedicated keys, complimented by a full pkb when necessary.

BB for Life
    joejuck likes this.
    05-04-15 03:49 PM
    Saying BlackBerry doesn't make good keyboards are fighting words. You would find a millions die hard blackberrians or people that have used legacy devices that would die for their keyboard quality.

Why do you think they're the only company that still makes keyboards on a phone. It's because they've been doing it right for decades and they are the best.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:08 AM
    The old convenience keys were great. But this was old BBOS.

BB10 should have enough space on the bar at the bottom of the home screen. I would like to remove all three default icons there. I almost never use them. I would like the idea to have programmable icons there. I talk a year about that. But it seems that this idea is far away from what RIMs developers can imagine.
    05-05-15 11:02 AM
    Saying BlackBerry doesn't make good keyboards are fighting words. You would find a millions die hard blackberrians or people that have used legacy devices that would die for their keyboard quality.

Why do you think they're the only company that still makes keyboards on a phone. It's because they've been doing it right for decades and they are the best.

Posted via CB10
    I think we would be happy if the current BB10 PKB's had the same level of reliabilty as the Curve / Bold. Not infallible but acceptable.
    AK1000 likes this.
    05-05-15 06:06 PM
    Common man. There is thousands of complain. I really like my Q10 and the keyboard is great when it works and that's like never. So yeah, fighting words or not - this is the truth. The conclusion comes after its clear that some Classics and now lots of Passports have the same issue. I understand if it's one device, but 2 others years apart - not good, not happy and no choice

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 04:01 PM
    I didn't have any issues with double typing with my q10 and also the keyboard on my classic made me sell my iphone 6 to buy it. Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 04:12 AM
    I didn't have any issues with double typing with my q10 and also the keyboard on my classic made me sell my iphone 6 to buy it. Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    Knock on wood!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 10:17 AM
    Knock on wood!

Posted via CB10
    Didn't have the issue on my Q10, don't have the issue on my Classic.
    05-08-15 12:07 AM