10-11-17 01:44 PM
81 1234
tools
    The fact is Samsung "can" .
    [Citation needed]
    Carjackd likes this.
    08-29-17 11:07 AM
    Stop posting those renders! Those are probably 4 years old!
    At LEAST!
    08-29-17 11:11 AM
    The fact is Samsung "can" not will .

Well I wonder how will Blackberry keep their updates bug free for all the licensees. It is a hard job. I guess Nougat is better for updates and such.
    Depends on the update process.... but does BlackBerry issue updates to the KEYone? Or does BlackBerry Mobile?

What about the Aurora... was it BlackBerry that ignored it, or was it BB Merah Putih along with their 3rd party manufacture?

I expect each licensees is going to be responsible for updates to their hardware sets. Granted they'll first need the files from BlackBerry, but the ultimate release will not be up to BlackBerry (unless it becomes part of the licensing contract).
    08-29-17 11:21 AM
    Depends on the update process.... but does BlackBerry issue updates to the KEYone? Or does BlackBerry Mobile?

What about the Aurora... was it BlackBerry that ignored it, or was it BB Merah Putih along with their 3rd party manufacture?

I expect each licensees is going to be responsible for updates to their hardware sets. Granted they'll first need the files from BlackBerry, but the ultimate release will not be up to BlackBerry (unless it becomes part of the licensing contract).
    BlackBerry is only responsible to its licencees and will provide updates as per each agreement. The licencee has ultimate responsibility to the end user. PT BB BB Merah Putih has clearly not contracted for monthly updates.
    08-29-17 12:05 PM
    The fact is even Samsung can use the Blackberry Android.

You may not know the details and such, but anyone with deep enough pockets may be a licensee. We are talking about Blackberry software not the name.
    Well, Samsung and BlackBerry reached an agreement on cross-licensing each other's intellectual property some years ago. For all we know, Knox already includes BlackBerry tech.

Samsung has gained significant traction with Knox. It's hard to see why they would confuse things by adding "BlackBerry Secure" now.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-29-17 12:27 PM
    [Citation needed]
    http://telecom.economictimes.indiati...urber/60275271

There you go. Licensees can manufacture their own brands but use Blackberry software.

Try google, works like a charm.
    08-29-17 01:37 PM
    Well, Samsung and BlackBerry reached an agreement on cross-licensing each other's intellectual property some years ago. For all we know, Knox already includes BlackBerry tech.

Samsung has gained significant traction with Knox. It's hard to see why they would confuse things by adding "BlackBerry Secure" now.

What I meant was Samsung can if they wanted to. The door is open if any company decides to go with Blackberry software. Samsung was just a name. Apple also can! theoretically speaking.
    08-29-17 01:39 PM
    BlackBerry is only responsible to its licencees and will provide updates as per each agreement. The licencee has ultimate responsibility to the end user. PT BB BB Merah Putih has clearly not contracted for monthly updates.
    Would Blackberry keeping the ropes tight about updates harm the licence contracts?

I mean charge more per device if the licensee does not follow the update releases or such?

Doesn't it harm the Blackberry brand? Or should Blackberry look at the situation just from a profit angle of view. Confuses me.
    08-29-17 01:42 PM
    http://telecom.economictimes.indiati...urber/60275271

There you go. Licensees can manufacture their own brands but use Blackberry software.

Try google, works like a charm.
    This says NOTHING!

"The second part is working with phone and other manufacturers to develop BlackBerry Secure where the brand is their brand but we help support the security features and secure private version of the software."

We have NO idea what conditions, limitations, or constraints this would entail either from BlackBerry or from its current licencees. This is what I've been saying all along. Nothing here states that Samsung would necessarily be eligible.
    08-29-17 01:51 PM
    Would Blackberry keeping the ropes tight about updates harm the licence contracts?

I mean charge more per device if the licensee does not follow the update releases or such?

Doesn't it harm the Blackberry brand? Or should Blackberry look at the situation just from a profit angle of view. Confuses me.
    It's is the licencee's concern. Without them, there would BE no brand - device software would have been dumped entirely already.

Each licencee pays BlackBerry for the level of OS support they wish.
    08-29-17 01:55 PM
    It's is the licencee's concern. Without them, there would BE no brand - device software would have been dumped entirely already.

Each licencee pays BlackBerry for the level of OS support they wish.
    But if all licensees act like merah, wouldn't it damage the brand and eventually destroy it also? A little quality check might help in the long run? But again I can't be sure.
    08-29-17 03:05 PM
    But if all licensees act like merah, wouldn't it damage the brand and eventually destroy it also? A little quality check might help in the long run? But again I can't be sure.
    Those are valid questions. We don't know what conditions BlackBerry may have included in its licensing agreements. A lot depends upon how valuable they think their Brand is in the smartphone market. If they don't think it's worth much, they might not place too many quality-control requirements on their partners.

08-29-17 03:24 PM
    Those are valid questions. We don't know what conditions BlackBerry may have included in its licensing agreements. A lot depends upon how valuable they think their Brand is in the smartphone market. If they don't think it's worth much, they might not place too many quality-control requirements on their partners.

Allowing PT BB Merah Putih to request quarterly updates only, does not necessarily damage the brand in Indonesia. Licencees know their respective markets, and BlackBerry seems fine with that.

I don't think that reflects on other licencees, nor any other BlackBerry line of business.
    Last edited by conite; 08-29-17 at 06:39 PM.
    08-29-17 04:22 PM
    Allowing PT BB Merah Putih to request quarterly updates only does not necessarily damage the brand in Indonesia. Licencees know their respective markets, and BlackBerry seems fine with that.

I don't think that reflects on other licencees, nor any other BlackBerry line of business.
    Makes sense to me.

08-29-17 06:23 PM
    Allowing PT BB Merah Putih to request quarterly updates only, does not necessarily damage the brand in Indonesia. Licencees know their respective markets, and BlackBerry seems fine with that.

Where did you see that they requested quarterly updates?
    08-29-17 10:26 PM
    Where did you see that they requested quarterly updates?
    I'm speaking hypothetically. Clearly they are not demanding and paying for monthly updates.
    08-29-17 10:52 PM
    The fact is even Samsung can use the Blackberry Android.

You may not know the details and such, but anyone with deep enough pockets may be a licensee. We are talking about Blackberry software not the name.
    What kinda man are you? Just use duct tape!
    08-29-17 11:03 PM
    True. But it really isn't that hard to make priv 2 , they made the first one and they know where they messed up .
    Im really hoping for one if not this year, next year
    I am with you on that! I would love to see a PRIV 2 in about a year or so.
    08-30-17 03:17 AM
    If the updates are not kept up by licensees, wouldn't it have a negative impact if anything were to happen, due to the lack of updates? Case in point from the hardware side of things: somewhere along the line it was not followed up with quality control at the factory when the first KEYone phones were made. So there was a problem with the screens coming off. This had a negative impact on people's perception of the brand, which still lingers even though it is resolved. Just today I saw yet ANOTHER post (someone trying to be funny) about screens falling off (referring to the new phone that is coming out).
    It would stand to reason that BlackBerry will work to keep the standard high regarding security and that they would make sure their partners do the same when using BB software since the business reputation is dependent on it.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 08-30-17 at 04:03 AM.
    08-30-17 03:53 AM
    If the updates are not kept up by licensees, wouldn't it have a negative impact if anything were to happen, due to the lack of updates? Case in point from the hardware side of things: somewhere along the line it was not followed up with quality control at the factory when the first KEYone phones were made. So there was a problem with the screens coming off. This had a negative impact on people's perception of the brand, which still lingers even though it is resolved. Just today I saw yet ANOTHER post (someone trying to be funny) about screens falling off (referring to the new phone that is coming out).
    It would stand to reason that BlackBerry will work to keep the standard high regarding security and that they would make sure their partners do the same when using BB software since the business reputation is dependent on it.
    /rumored-devices-f150/new-blackberry-juno-1121710-post13004741/
    08-30-17 07:32 AM
    Then it would stand to reason that BlackBerry would be concerned with the additional security features that each new flavor of Android brings to users. We'd be asking when Oreo will come to the PRIV right now... not wondering about if it will ever get Nougat.

High Standard... went out the door with the billions of dollars that they have lost in the last ten years. Do think that they have limitations in place to protect the brand, but nothing like they once had.
    08-31-17 09:52 AM
    It's water resistant too........
    08-31-17 09:57 AM
    Doubt Knox carries blackberry tech. It's still possible to disable Knox
    08-31-17 10:04 AM
    08-31-17 10:11 AM
    Then it would stand to reason that BlackBerry would be concerned with the additional security features that each new flavor of Android brings to users. We'd be asking when Oreo will come to the PRIV right now... not wondering about if it will ever get Nougat.

High Standard... went out the door with the billions of dollars that they have lost in the last ten years. Do think that they have limitations in place to protect the brand, but nothing like they once had.
    What isn't talked about is that, while Android promotes security improvements in each new OS version, it also patches many of the same changes into older supported versions, just like Microsoft does.

There is probably no significant difference in security between patched Marshmallow and patched Nougat. If there was, we'd see security-oriented enterprises upgrading. We see zero organizations mandating version upgrades for security.

Google published a new build of Marshmallow on July 14, 2017.

I'm not arguing that Nougat isn't a significant improvement over Marshmallow, and I would recommend anyone who can should upgrade, but there is absolutely no evidence that there is a significant security gap between the two.

There is, however a significant difference in the features available.

08-31-17 11:01 AM
81 1234