09-05-10 09:13 AM
49 12
tools
    Haha...If you read the OP, it says he has 10 e-mail accounts pushing to his storm. Find a droid or iPhone that can handle that many e-mail accounts...
    Who in the **** really needs 10 email accounts? Seems like someone is just trying to APPEAR important.
    08-14-10 02:04 PM
    That's just not true! I know a lot of my posts end up defending Rim/Storm, and believe me, I am upset too that there is not more memory, faster processor, etc., BUT, NOBODY AT VERIZON OR RIM EVER CALLED THE STORM or STORM2 AN iPHONE KILLER! This was done by the media, both written reviews and online forums. Just because it had a touchscreen, all of a sudden, it's "RIM's answer to the iPhone;" no, it was RIM's attempt to make a much needed touchscreen model, in their own way. so you have the right to call the Storm a "P.O.S" if you want, but don't try and make it more a disappointment other than the fact that YOU did not like it.
    You are wrong about no one at Verizon/RIM calling the Storm 1/Storm 2 "iPhone killers". Both did. Not in the official press releases, but many times in many different settings.

Heck, during the release even for the Torch, they called it an iPhone killer.

The problem apparently is that RIM has gotten so far out of touch that they think that the only things people are interested in are email and icons. They think that just because they currently have the lead in push email and the business market that their customers will keep drinking the BB KoolAid.

That thinking only holds so long as you have a lock on a competitive advantage. A few years ago they did. Now Android using Market apps like MailDroid or K-9 Mail are quickly catching up. Even email in iOS4 is supposed to be significantly better.

However, one thing that RIM doesn't have and, quite frankly, I don't see them EVER having again (assuming they even did at one time) is a significant level of innovation in apps. This is important because smartphones are becoming, and increasingly will be, all about what uses you can find for them BEYOND just being a phone.

If all you want is a phone with email and calendar, then I agree a BB is good enough. If you want more, you (currently) need to look elsewhere.

OK, enough complaining. I've already made my move. IMO, RIM just doesn't see the danger they are in. Market dominance is like statistical prediction. You can use the past as an indicator of future performance... so long as nothing changes (ceteris parabus - everything stays the same). If the environment changes, then the past has nothing to do with the future (as Palm and Motorola (present success notwithstanding).

The problem is the smartphone market is undergoing a rather violent upheaval which is similar to that which allowed RIM to become dominant. Back then, you had a leading edge phone if it could combine the functions of a PDA and phone with good email. That was transformative in the era of the Moto RAZR. Now it is all about the apps and, to a lesser extent, the web.

Anyway, time will tell and I hope RIM can get their act together before my wife's NE2 comes up in Jan 2011. If they can, she will probably stick with BB, if not then I'm pretty sure she will be joining me in the Android world.

Scott
    08-16-10 02:55 AM
    you guys do realize that once LTE launches its always just aircards and sticks initially. you probably wont see a LTE handset until closer to the end of 2011. and even that will likely be a dual mode phone.

next rim and blowing anyone away should not be put in the same sentence. i cant believe they have the nerve to even think about releasing this 9780 crap. the only reason i got a 9700 was to get off the trackball (i had the tour). rim will not see a penny of my money until whatever the magnum/dakota/whatever its called now comes out.

meanwhile i am enjoy my iphone 4 (i have 2 lines)
    08-16-10 03:07 AM
    You are wrong about no one at Verizon/RIM calling the Storm 1/Storm 2 "iPhone killers". Both did. Not in the official press releases, but many times in many different settings.
    Sorry Scott, but we will have to agree to disagree. I read EVERYTHING about the new Storm, as I wanted a BB touchscreen so badly, but I NEVER heard anybody but the reviewrs calling it that; in fact, RIM was just the opposite, trying to squash those rumors, probably because they knew the Storm's limitations. Then when the Storm2 came out, it was once again the forums and reviewers calling it the iPhone killer.
    08-16-10 09:57 AM
    Cory,

Yep! Agree to disagree...

Scott
    08-20-10 05:40 PM
    So the title of the thread is "New Blackberry to "Blow Away" everything?"
    I don't know about blowing away anything, but when the Blackpad comes out in Nov., it should sell relatively well since corporate users and consumers will be buying it. It is a clear advantage for RIM since there will be dozens of Android tablets out there and iPad. No company would buy their employee an iPad or an Android tablet (at least not when there is a Blackpad available AND especially if the company already uses blackberries).

That should breathe new life into the shares and the long-term prospects of the company. Just imagine RIM deriving half as much revenue just from tablets as they do from smartphones currently.

And while we're dreaming about long-term prospects, how much QNX-powered RIM products on BMWs, GMs and other cars (they already exist, but can certainly be expanded). And how about the QNX-embedded OS in fridges and dishwashers, so you can use your blackberry to see what's inside your fridge. It might sound distant-in-the-future, but Visa is testing using smartphones to pay for purchases instead of credit cards.

Here's why QNX is very promising:

How RIM Can Save Itself | BNET
    08-20-10 06:27 PM
    Interesting read. RIM has a lot of opportunity in this area. Now let's hope they are thinking along the same lines as all the speculation. Not with just the blackpad, but with future mobile devices as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 09:02 PM
    i don't know guys. I can't leave my Blackberry. I messed around with so many Android phones. They don't match BB's Functions. I'm stuck on it. (good thing)
    08-21-10 03:59 PM
    Yeaaa I also had an android phone briefly. Went back to my bold 9700 and then upgraded to the Torch. Could not be happier.
    08-21-10 06:24 PM
    So the title of the thread is "New Blackberry to "Blow Away" everything?"
    I don't know about blowing away anything, but when the Blackpad comes out in Nov., it should sell relatively well since corporate users and consumers will be buying it. It is a clear advantage for RIM since there will be dozens of Android tablets out there and iPad. No company would buy their employee an iPad or an Android tablet (at least not when there is a Blackpad available AND especially if the company already uses blackberries).

That should breathe new life into the shares and the long-term prospects of the company. Just imagine RIM deriving half as much revenue just from tablets as they do from smartphones currently.

And while we're dreaming about long-term prospects, how much QNX-powered RIM products on BMWs, GMs and other cars (they already exist, but can certainly be expanded). And how about the QNX-embedded OS in fridges and dishwashers, so you can use your blackberry to see what's inside your fridge. It might sound distant-in-the-future, but Visa is testing using smartphones to pay for purchases instead of credit cards.

Here's why QNX is very promising:

How RIM Can Save Itself | BNET
    BlackPad will need applications to make it a real success, and applications are not one of RIM's strong points. Add to that the fact that it will be using a totally different OS than existing BB... and your application options are looking even worse.

Then add to that the fact that the initial BlackPads will not be able to connect to cellular networks... think RIM is going have some problems with this device. Especially if RIM is not able to put out a device with hardware specs that are at least equal to all the other PAD type device that are about to hit the market .

One key advantage that Apple has is they have one OS that work on both the iPhone and the iPad - and they can even share information between the two. Doesn't sound like the BlackPad will have a chance to be integrated with BB's until RIM changes the OS on them.
    08-22-10 09:23 PM
    LMAO... RIM will never make anything that will blow away anything currently on the market....
    Just spent a month with the HTC Incredible and while it's nice, it's no Blackberry. I went back to my S2 with a new Hybrid and I seriously can't think of one good reason to use anything else. The S3 or OS6 will have to be Major improvements to get me off this phone!
    08-23-10 07:36 AM
    i don't know guys. I can't leave my Blackberry. I messed around with so many Android phones. They don't match BB's Functions. I'm stuck on it. (good thing)
    I have looked at several Androids and I will admit that the larger screens are a huge draw for me. I really like the iPhone4 - but am not willing to leave Verizon for it. That said - I wish RIM had a device that was class leading that made you want it...instead of settling for it just because it is on your network.
    08-23-10 09:12 AM
    i have a 9700 and a iphone 4.

i email is definitely easier and better on berries. for christ sake i cant even attach more than one image at a time on the iphone. thats a big fail but the reality is i enjoy my iphone more than my berry. whatever apps are on berry there are bigger and better for the iphone. i love ubertwitter though.

oh and berry apps are ridiculously priced. i know rim finally changed their policy so cheaper apps will come.

side note. is there an app for berry where i can lock specific apps and folders.

like the media apps and the picture folders lol
    08-24-10 10:37 PM
    I'm a storm 1 user and have been using BB since the 71xx series came out. But today I had to order the Droid X. RIM is waiting to long but I'm sure they have something the making. Still got the company BB curve though.

08-24-10 10:52 PM
    side note. is there an app for berry where i can lock specific apps and folders.

like the media apps and the picture folders lol
    Yep, can be found right here in the CB store. There's one called iLock I came across, never tried it though, there's probably others available as well.
    08-25-10 12:05 AM
    Even if they release the STORM LTE with the specs we have seen rumored... if it is not release until spring of next year, it will still be way behind the competition.

Both Android and Windows should have 1.5Mhz processor by the end of THIS year, next year there is talk about 2Mhz processors and dual core processors. With these type processors and the much larger RAM and Storage Drives, you will be running full featured applications... plug your phone into any HDMI monitor or TV use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your mobile office is set to go.
    Hope they send a big batt with those phones. Don't u already hafta charge some of those new big screened phones a couple times aday. I will talk my BOLD with a android like browser and speed any day. I picked up a droid x today and it seemed way to big! Was like holding up a computer to your face Maybe I could get use to it but I dunno?
    08-28-10 11:47 PM
    on iphone4 just go to photo>choose gallery>click top right send button>then choose as many photos/vids as you want
    08-29-10 04:49 PM
    certainly be expanded). And how about the QNX-embedded OS in fridges and dishwashers, so you can use your blackberry to see what's inside your fridge. It might sound distant-in-the-future, but Visa is testing using smartphones to pay for purchases instead of credit cards.
    ]
    They are already using cell phones as credit cards in Japan. You just swipe your phone over a sensor and it makes the purchase. They've been doing it for a while now. The last time i saw my buddy in japan was two years ago and his phone was already able to do this with no problems. He was actually surprised that the technology hadn't caught on yet over here.
    08-31-10 11:16 AM
    Here In Canada there's a Company called Zoompass that makes a PayPass sticker that you can put on your phone... It's only in trials at the moment.
    08-31-10 02:14 PM
    True but they will make good solid phones that make phone calls, are highly secure and do not fail very often. Personally I rate those attributes very highly.
    ...can't see why rim can't grasp the concept of refreshing the hardware as it gets closer to release or shortening the design cycle.
    ...For me, while I am a techy and love my new stuff, I'd rather have a secure phone that works and can handle what it's supposed to do...Instead of having a fart app, and an app to watch my dog at home, and an app to clean my toilet, and an app to wash my truck, etc, etc, etc. ... :facepalm:
    Interesting read. RIM has a lot of opportunity in this area. Now let's hope they are thinking along the same lines as all the speculation. Not with just the blackpad, but with future mobile devices as well.
    x2, Agreed!
    08-31-10 09:04 PM
    They are already using cell phones as credit cards in Japan. You just swipe your phone over a sensor and it makes the purchase. They've been doing it for a while now. The last time i saw my buddy in japan was two years ago and his phone was already able to do this with no problems. He was actually surprised that the technology hadn't caught on yet over here.
    Indeed. As an addition to this: the payment via phone is relatively secure in Japan. You have to register your phone with your credit card company/bank, so it can be traced directly to you, specifically to you. Also, there is a biometric scanner on the back of the phone. I don't remember exactly whether the little scanner [hardware] is sent to you by the credit card company (in order to attach it) or if there are certain phone models that come preinstalled with it. It is likely the latter.
    Either way...you hold your thumb to the scanner so it can read your fingerprint, and then swipe the phone in the store in order to pay. Nobody except you can pay with that phone, and the little scanner on the back of the phone will void if damaged or used by a different person several times. It is similar to using your debit/credit card in an ATM and entering wrong PIN several times. Account is locked, card is gone or something like that.
    The heck...they got flawless TV running on every single FEATUREphone in Japan. Really no need to compare phones and networks to other countries.

Lets concentrate on our stone age American and European technology. I would certainly love to see some of Japanese ideas implemented by RIM in the near future. If they can't keep up with the technology of the competition, then they should add functions to Blackberries that the competition doesn't have, AND which actually are essential.
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 09-01-10 at 08:05 PM.
    09-01-10 08:00 PM
    A Storm slider would blow everything away... amped up processor, touch type top or slider keys.
    09-05-10 01:04 AM
    A Storm slider would blow everything away... amped up processor, touch type top or slider keys.
    That is essentially what the Torch is. No thanks. Give me an ultra thin touch screen BB with over a 1 GHZ processor, better camera, super fast wifi, over 32 GB of storage and a high resolution screen.
    09-05-10 08:26 AM
    That is essentially what the Torch is. No thanks. Give me an ultra thin touch screen BB with over a 1 GHZ processor, better camera, super fast wifi, over 32 GB of storage and a high resolution screen.
    The Torch felt a little flimsy and the keys were not as good as the 9700 - its about the same size. The Storm feels solid and I like the size. Either way, I'd be happy with anything similar released on VZW - fat or skinny.

09-05-10 09:13 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD