09-05-10 08:13 AM
49 12
tools
    Well, it's been awhile since I've frequented these forums, as I've been a Storm1 user since it's inception back in November of 2008. Now, my NE2 is available, so I decided to have a look at what VZW has to offer.

In my brief amount of research, it appears the Droid X is quite the phone. Also, I recall hearing something from one of the reviewers that the new BB, due out sometime later this year, "will blow away everything currently on the market" - however - I'm wondering what that might be - Storm 4? In any case, that's quite the statement for RIM, and being a 4 year BB user, I hope it's true.

However, for now, looking into the alternatives (i.e. Storm2) and the Droid X - I have to make the move to the new Droid X since BB doesn't really have anything new. The online direct comparisons on speed seem to be quite the selling point for browsing, but I'm concerned about e-mail capability, as I have 10 accounts currently pushing out to my storm.

In any case, I'm a little disappointed that RIM hasn't come out with anything to combat the Droid/I-Pods, but need to make the move from BB back to Motorola.
    07-27-10 12:40 PM
    LMAO... RIM will never make anything that will blow away anything currently on the market....
    07-27-10 12:45 PM
    LMAO... RIM will never make anything that will blow away anything currently on the market....
    True but they will make good solid phones that make phone calls, are highly secure and do not fail very often.

Personally I rate those attributes very highly.

Oh, why do we need YET another one of these threads? Yawn.
    07-27-10 12:48 PM
    I think you will be disappointed with an Android for the e-mail alone, sounds like you use it a lot. But you can always get a Driod X and switch back within 30 days.
    07-27-10 12:56 PM
    I am one of the original Storm guys also. I got it in November right when it came out and Verizon just sent me a notice to upgrade. Personally, I am waiting to see what comes with the 4g LTE network. I would hate to get an o.k. phone that is going to be extremely outdate in 3-4 months.

My Storm is starting to go so I found a like new Storm 2 on Craiglist to avoid being locked into a new contract for the next 20 months and miss whatever Blackberry releases for 4g.
    07-27-10 01:02 PM
    I am one of the original Storm guys also. I got it in November right when it came out and Verizon just sent me a notice to upgrade. Personally, I am waiting to see what comes with the 4g LTE network. I would hate to get an o.k. phone that is going to be extremely outdate in 3-4 months.

My Storm is starting to go so I found a like new Storm 2 on Craiglist to avoid being locked into a new contract for the next 20 months and miss whatever Blackberry releases for 4g.
    I completely agree and did the exact same thing. Best case scenario until they release 4G is that VZW offers the S2refresh to those currently with an S2 so we can run OS6. Worst case, they don't. Either way, I didn't use my NE2, I paid very little for the S2 ($125) and am very happy with it while I wait for 4G to become available and see what BB's are offered for it. Then, if S3/S4G (whatever its going to be called) isn't up to par (or loses SurePress) I'll jump to Android.

Overall I'm happy with what BB/RIM has supplied me with so far so I feel I can wait to see what they're going to offer me by March. You may want to do the same if you've been happy with what your phone has been able to do.

Or, you may not.
    07-27-10 03:43 PM
    LOL. I have been eyeing up S2's on craigs list sa well for the same reason. Stop gap until LTE.

To the OP just look at some of the Storm 3 theads. Basically if the rumors are true that could be competitive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 07:47 PM
    If you do get one from craigslist, just make sure you buy it local and meet up with the seller at a Verizon store and have them check the ESN to make sure its not stolen. My dad and brother are both cops and they tell me a lot of stories about people getting scammed. You'll even find a few threads on CB about it.

Last edited by drjay868; 08-04-10 at 02:36 PM.
    07-27-10 09:28 PM
    I'd you do get one from craigslist, just make sure you buy it local and meet up with the seller at a Verizon store and have them check the ESN to make sure its not stolen. My dad and brother are both cops and they tell me a lot of stories about people getting scammed. You'll even find a few threads on CB about it.

Or not fork over the cash until you verify that you can activate it using *228. No need to take it to a store.
    07-27-10 11:27 PM
    Or not fork over the cash until you verify that you can activate it using *228. No need to take it to a store.
    Thanks Guys. Yeah I figure if I go this route I would b calling VZW to activate it before handing over cash.
    07-28-10 04:52 AM
    How much are you guys paying? Get a family share plan, activate a new line with a BB but put an old dumbphone on the line. $10 bucks a month for 20 months = $240+taxes for extra line + $150-$200 bucks and the freedom to get a new phone rather than paying full retail. You also have a pretty new phone for a back up (or a paperweight).

More costly in the long run but for someone wanting to scratch an itch...
    07-30-10 07:58 PM
    Well, it's been awhile since I've frequented these forums, as I've been a Storm1 user since it's inception back in November of 2008. Now, my NE2 is available, so I decided to have a look at what VZW has to offer.

In my brief amount of research, it appears the Droid X is quite the phone. Also, I recall hearing something from one of the reviewers that the new BB, due out sometime later this year, "will blow away everything currently on the market" - however - I'm wondering what that might be - Storm 4? In any case, that's quite the statement for RIM, and being a 4 year BB user, I hope it's true.

However, for now, looking into the alternatives (i.e. Storm2) and the Droid X - I have to make the move to the new Droid X since BB doesn't really have anything new. The online direct comparisons on speed seem to be quite the selling point for browsing, but I'm concerned about e-mail capability, as I have 10 accounts currently pushing out to my storm.

In any case, I'm a little disappointed that RIM hasn't come out with anything to combat the Droid/I-Pods, but need to make the move from BB back to Motorola.
    Same situation as you man. I switched to the droid x and let me tell you, it is amazing! So fast and smooth, it normally beats my cable broadband at loading pages! Storm could never do that. However, it does not do email near as well as the storm did, nor is it as easy to set up. Much harder to set up than the blackberry, but if you know what you are doing, just takes a little more time, and it still doesnt recieve as fast as blackberry and I dont care what people say, blackberry has the best email system available TO DATE! I loved my storm and still do, but this X is freaking awesome (other than the email)!
    07-31-10 01:04 AM
    Yeah I am think of going android soon. My work will look the other way and that was my main obstacle since I only want 1 device. Also expensing the data plan helps.

I played with a Galaxy S (ATT captivate) and man was that nice. I wonder how long before VZW releases their version? Too much longer and it will be time to wait for LTE. For now I am thinking X and then after that worry about LTE. Not sure I want to jump on the Gen 1 LTE devices.

07-31-10 08:08 AM
    I'm also on a Storm1 and I'm up for NE2 in Sept.
    I might do the same thing and grab a Storm2 on craigs.
    I want the Droid X real bad but I'm really happy with my old Storm (my first BB) so I'm kinda trying to be loyal.

Whats the going rate for a used Storm2 on Craigs list?
    08-01-10 09:37 AM
    The Storm 1 was supposed to blow everything away and look what happened with that P.O.S
    08-01-10 11:35 AM
    Same situation as you man. I switched to the droid x and let me tell you, it is amazing! So fast and smooth, it normally beats my cable broadband at loading pages! Storm could never do that. However, it does not do email near as well as the storm did, nor is it as easy to set up. Much harder to set up than the blackberry, but if you know what you are doing, just takes a little more time, and it still doesnt recieve as fast as blackberry and I dont care what people say, blackberry has the best email system available TO DATE! I loved my storm and still do, but this X is freaking awesome (other than the email)!
    I'm in the same boat,just got delivery confirmation for my Droid X. I currently have a Storm 1 that I went back too after a short stint with the Storm 2. I opted for a 1yr contract so if BB improves I'll go back. I still have a soft spot for Blackberry's especially their email capabilities and security.
    08-01-10 11:40 AM
    If you are looking at Android, check out K-9 Mail and MailDroid as they appear to provide the best and most BB-like mail experience. I'll know more when my DroidX gets here, but I've heard good things. NOT BB-equivalent, but BB-LIKE.

Scott
    08-01-10 05:44 PM
    The Storm 1 was supposed to blow everything away and look what happened with that P.O.S
    haha. exactly what i was thinking. i wouldnt count on rim to unleash a beast phone on us any time soon.
    08-05-10 04:24 AM
    haha. exactly what i was thinking. i wouldnt count on rim to unleash a beast phone on us any time soon.
    Even if they release the STORM LTE with the specs we have seen rumored... if it is not release until spring of next year, it will still be way behind the competition.

Both Android and Windows should have 1.5Mhz processor by the end of THIS year, next year there is talk about 2Mhz processors and dual core processors. With these type processors and the much larger RAM and Storage Drives, you will be running full featured applications... plug your phone into any HDMI monitor or TV use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your mobile office is set to go.
    08-06-10 11:58 AM
    Even if they release the STORM LTE with the specs we have seen rumored... if it is not release until spring of next year, it will still be way behind the competition.

Both Android and Windows should have 1.5Mhz processor by the end of THIS year, next year there is talk about 2Mhz processors and dual core processors. With these type processors and the much larger RAM and Storage Drives, you will be running full featured applications... plug your phone into any HDMI monitor or TV use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and your mobile office is set to go.
    Doubtful. The main problem is while the design of the storm lte may be top now, by the time it gets to release it will be mid-low...can't see why rim can't grasp the concept of refreshing the hardware as it gets closer to release or shortening the design cycle.

08-06-10 04:47 PM
    Yeah I am think of going android soon. My work will look the other way and that was my main obstacle since I only want 1 device. Also expensing the data plan helps.

I played with a Galaxy S (ATT captivate) and man was that nice. I wonder how long before VZW releases their version? Too much longer and it will be time to wait for LTE. For now I am thinking X and then after that worry about LTE. Not sure I want to jump on the Gen 1 LTE devices.

Get the X or Inc (I prefer the X). By the time the Fascinate (VZW Galaxy S) comes out it will be obsolete because even better devices for Android are coming out in Nov/Dec. Plus, the TouchWiz UI is no good, and possibly the slowest compared to all the others (even though the GS has the best hardware). Samsung has also been very flakey in the past when it comes to Android devices and updates/support.
    08-07-10 01:32 PM
    Haha...If you read the OP, it says he has 10 e-mail accounts pushing to his storm. Find a droid or iPhone that can handle that many e-mail accounts...For me, while I am a techy and love my new stuff, I'd rather have a secure phone that works and can handle what it's supposed to do...Instead of having a fart app, and an app to watch my dog at home, and an app to clean my toilet, and an app to wash my truck, etc, etc, etc.

I'm tired of seeing these threads clutter these forums...Yawn is right :facepalm:
    08-14-10 12:16 AM
    I look at it this way. RIM support a different market base than your acclaimed Anroid phones and the iPhone. RIM changed the way I looked at cell phones, before my friend introduced me to the 9700. I was an iPhone fan boy, once I saw how flawlessly the phone could push emails and how organized everything was presented to me. I immediately went out and purchased the 9700. Since then I have experimented with Android phones and currently own the Samsung Captivate. The phone is very powerful and it is packaged with a beautiful super AMOLED display. Though this phone is very battery inefficient and lags on certain functions. Sometimes the capacitive buttons lag on press sometimes. So what I am trying to say that regardless of the power of the phone or hardware specs. No phone can be flawless. So RIM and Android/iPhone, serve very different markets. If you want the power, HD videos, 720p recording then android and the iphone is your platform. If you want reliability and organization and just plainly wanting to get stuff done then Blackberry is the phone you need to look at. So I don't believe RIM needs to directly compete with any other platform. I believe RIM is just fine with what they have right now.
    08-14-10 07:56 AM
    That's just not true! I know a lot of my posts end up defending Rim/Storm, and believe me, I am upset too that there is not more memory, faster processor, etc., BUT, NOBODY AT VERIZON OR RIM EVER CALLED THE STORM or STORM2 AN iPHONE KILLER! This was done by the media, both written reviews and online forums. Just because it had a touchscreen, all of a sudden, it's "RIM's answer to the iPhone;" no, it was RIM's attempt to make a much needed touchscreen model, in their own way. so you have the right to call the Storm a "P.O.S" if you want, but don't try and make it more a disappointment other than the fact that YOU did not like it.
    08-14-10 09:11 AM
    only phones they could have been talking about are the Torch or S3... Why would be an S4 when the S3 isn't even out yet???

I don't think many non-BB users would consider the 9800 blowing anything out of the water (cuz their so stuck on hardware #'s) but it is totally new for BB's and from what I saw when I played with it, can definitely compete with any other touch phone out there...
    08-14-10 12:57 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD