07-25-14 06:09 PM
78 1234
tools
    I want a BlackBerry British Columbia. Haha
    BlackBerry Nova Scotia sounds pretty nice.
    A BlackBerry Nunavut perhaps? Lol
    I wonder if they would name one device "BlackBerry Newfoundland and Labrador" or two separate devices.

I own a BlackBerry Nevada. Wtf? Haha

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    What u smoking?

Posted via My Beast Q10
    07-21-14 03:41 PM
    Oh ffs...

Z3 LTE (Z30-ish spec)- Manitoba
    Passport-spec full touch - Ontario
    This thing - Pipe dream

Posted via CB10
    THIS.

People - move along. This rumour will help no-one.

In other news, I have a bit of a scoop! A little birdy told me that BlackBerry actually plan to release a 128 bit Dual-screen 3D Hybrid overclocked all-touch superphone with a 10,000 mAh battery and laser projected trackpad. It will run BB10.5, support Android HoneyPot apps, iOS 9 Apps and IBM OS2/Warp apps natively. It's also rumoured to be as thin as a credit card. CAN'T WAIT!!!

With this coming, why get a Passport or Z50 when you can wait for this!!
    thurask likes this.
    07-21-14 05:51 PM
    THIS.

People - move along. This rumour will help no-one.

In other news, I have a bit of a scoop! A little birdy told me that BlackBerry actually plan to release a 128 bit Dual-screen 3D Hybrid overclocked all-touch superphone with a 10,000 mAh battery and laser projected trackpad. It will run BB10.5, support Android HoneyPot apps, iOS 9 Apps and IBM OS2/Warp apps natively. It's also rumoured to be as thin as a credit card. CAN'T WAIT!!!

With this coming, why get a Passport or Z50 when you can wait for this!!
    Is this for real????

Posted via CB10
    higherdestiny likes this.
    07-21-14 08:49 PM
    Is this for real????

Posted via CB10
    ...really?

Posted via CB10
    higherdestiny and smart548 like this.
    07-21-14 09:25 PM
    Is this for real????

Posted via CB10
    That just made my day.
    smart548 likes this.
    07-21-14 09:47 PM
    That just made my day.
    Mine too LMFAO
    07-21-14 11:33 PM
    By the time that's out, there will be new processors and better screens to handle 4k more efficiently.

BB, you're catchin' up, but you gotta do it faster.
    07-21-14 11:33 PM
    zzzzz...
    07-22-14 01:21 AM
    Get the Passport, rip off the keyboard and make the screen bigger. Bang, Ontario.
    Nicee, and what's the likely context? ;

1) that's the original design of the Passport

2) they *might* release a full touch version? (although with the same specs it would have to be released at the same time)

3) it's just the way they referred to the Passport to help keep the keyboard secret

Check Out TechCraze
    07-22-14 01:25 AM
    Nicee, and what's the likely context? ;

1) that's the original design of the Passport

2) they *might* release a full touch version? (although with the same specs it would have to be released at the same time)

3) it's just the way they referred to the Passport to help keep the keyboard secret

Check Out TechCraze
    4) Unlike Chen, Thor still had hope for a full touch. Currently the Ontario is in and out of existence. Stuck in purgatory, if you will.

Posted via CB10
    tinochiko likes this.
    07-22-14 01:47 AM
    4) Unlike Chen, Thor still had hope for a full touch. Currently the Ontario is in and out of existence. Stuck in purgatory, if you will.

Posted via CB10
    Even if their current niche market is qwerty, it is an increasingly shrinking segment of the market...I mean what are we talking, 2-3 M units in total? To completely dismiss touch which is what the market wants to purgatory is incredibly short sighted.

It's better to have 1% of a huge 200 M pie rather than 100% of a tiny crumb. (or worse, 100% of nothing)

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 06:34 AM
    Dont expect too much in this one. It could just give you frustrations if this will come out in a crappy thing. (I hope it will not be). If this news came from John (like spoken from his mouth), I would freak out like a crazy monkey in a cell.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 06:45 AM
    My biggest worry re: BlackBerry is that the Qwerty phones that Chen is focused on will have terrible sales performance and make it even more difficult for BlackBerry to produce and support a competitive flagship next year.

With respect to the software side, niche qwerty devices with low unit sales figures won't bring developers back to BB10. BlackBerry needs the all-touch flagship because that's where the market is and where it'll be for the foreseeable future.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    07-22-14 06:54 AM
    Hahaha I knew who he was.. I must've touch a wound huh? Lol.. I never ever liked Heins and the "chief of bla bla" didn't, because they CAN'T And don't have the balls to admit it!! I'm no expert but seeing how John Chen is moving he IS really making an impact unlike your Wound did! and if making a keyboard help them get back up, so be it!! Whatever it takes.. I respect him for what he did as a man with a vision and a CEO.. that doesn't take away anything though

Still love and will love BlackBerry!! And cheer up. keep moving $!

Posted via CB10
    Didn't hit a nerve - you need to know how to read man; wining as in sick of this stupid and useless diatribe. I'll bet if I search all your posts you where singing the same praises as the former CEO! 90% of fans here did.

Look at Chens record before you hold him on such a high pedastall you'll soon realized what could and most likely is his end game.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    07-22-14 06:57 AM
    Didn't hit a nerve - you need to know how to read man; wining as in sick of this stupid and useless diatribe. I'll bet if I search all your posts you where singing the same praises as the former CEO! 90% of fans here did.

Look at Chens record before you hold him on such a high pedastall you'll soon realized what could and most likely is his end game.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Yep... TH is a hardware engineer/designer if I'm not wrong. I don't think he's stupid or an id**t. I think it was just the greener thing.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 07:12 AM
    My biggest worry re: BlackBerry is that the Qwerty phones that Chen is focused on will have terrible sales performance and make it even more difficult for BlackBerry to produce and support a competitive flagship next year.

With respect to the software side, niche qwerty devices with low unit sales figures won't bring developers back to BB10. BlackBerry needs the all-touch flagship because that's where the market is and where it'll be for the foreseeable future.

This one.

I think its not that.
    Just think about this;

Why would you build a new touch screen phone and sell it today or this year,
    if you will just going to use the (soon to be old hardware spec) that just came out this year and is going to be outdated soon,
    while there is a new piece of hardware (processors) from the manufacturer that they could use and is going to be released next year, and is way better... Plus, you only have few shots left?

Its kinda' too late for BlackBerry this year to produce another full touch device. And in the future, they will upgrade or bring BlackBerry 10.X os into a higher level. So, they need to skip some things.

I'm not against your concerns bro. I just wanted to share or discuss my compression on BlackBerry's movements and plans.

I think thats why they're focusing on qwerty(s) for now because other companies doesn't build it and there are some (few demands for it I guess).

At this time, I think BlackBerry is planning to catch up with the spec wars in the rectangular full touch screen battle.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by systemvolker; 07-22-14 at 07:38 AM.
    00_Agent likes this.
    07-22-14 07:23 AM
    Even if their current niche market is qwerty, it is an increasingly shrinking segment of the market...I mean what are we talking, 2-3 M units in total? To completely dismiss touch which is what the market wants to purgatory is incredibly short sighted.

It's better to have 1% of a huge 200 M pie rather than 100% of a tiny crumb. (or worse, 100% of nothing)

Posted via CB10
    It might be a plan to go after people who you know will buy the devices first (large businesses, governments, people stuck in the Stone Age), before going after people who you're unsure of (the rest of the world). Then catering the devices on offer to each target market.

Posted via CB10
    00_Agent and tinochiko like this.
    07-22-14 10:21 AM
    Why complicate things with a name change ? Just educate people..

Check Out TechCraze
    07-22-14 12:34 PM
    This one.

I think its not that.
    Just think about this;

Why would you build a new touch screen phone and sell it today or this year,
    if you will just going to use the (soon to be old hardware spec) that just came out this year and is going to be outdated soon,
    while there is a new piece of hardware (processors) from the manufacturer that they could use and is going to be released next year, and is way better... Plus, you only have few shots left?

Its kinda' too late for BlackBerry this year to produce another full touch device. And in the future, they will upgrade or bring BlackBerry 10.X os into a higher level. So, they need to skip some things.

I'm not against your concerns bro. I just wanted to share or discuss my compression on BlackBerry's movements and plans.

I think thats why they're focusing on qwerty(s) for now because other companies doesn't build it and there are some (few demands for it I guess).

At this time, I think BlackBerry is planning to catch up with the spec wars in the rectangular full touch screen battle.

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate your thoughts, and your reply to my post is very friendly. But remember that every other smartphone company released an all-touch qwerty phone this year, so the idea that production should wait because a new chip is due to be released later didn't stop any of the competitors from releasing their flagship all-touch phones. Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, and the dreaded Apple iPhone 6 duo have or will launch well-received beasts of all-touch flagship smartphones. The Z50 could have been a match hardware wise for some of the competitors, and the recent global focus on security could have played right into BlackBerry's competitive advantage. Now this chance is squandered on niche qwerty devices (Passport and Classic) that likely won't sell very well under any scenario. Poor sales prospects are why no other smartphone companies are willing to waste their time with qwerty flagships.

The Z50 had been discussed and planned for release this year, according to numerous earlier reports both from inside and outside the company. Those plans were sabotaged by the wavering BlackBerry strategic approach and recently killed until next year by Chen's qwerty focus. This is the only reason for the delay of the Z50 in my view. Had BlackBerry stayed the course, we'd probably be looking forward to our Z50s near-term, as in 1-3 months away. So, BlackBerry didn't run out of time, it ran out of strategic commitment by Chen (in my view).

And what do we think Samsung, Apple, HTC, Sony, etc. will be doing until the Z50 gets here? Hanging out? Wasting time? Or maybe creating key future features and wearables and more local support stores and improving carrier relations and you-get-the-idea. These guys are good. BlackBerry can't let them steal marches like this. Chen should review his Sun Tzu.

07-22-14 05:57 PM
    BlackBerry's financial Q3 2015 occurs in Q4 2014 I believe. That said if it does take until actual Q3 2015 it will be yet another case of BlackBerry being late to the game as other vendors will have been using this chip for 6 months +. [Sarcasm] At least they will have massive Passport and Classic sales before then [/ Sarcasm] .

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    07-22-14 06:54 PM
    BlackBerry can't let them steal marches like this. Chen should review his Sun Tzu.
    Or is BlackBerry losing the battle in order to win the war?

BlackBerry cannot compete with the competition in the all-touch space at this point in time. They cannot. Apple and Samsung are too strong and too cashed up to be attacked by BlackBerry, especially with current consumer sentiment.

Think about it. BlackBerry drop the Z50 on the market. At best it will match the specs offered by companies such as Samsung. Any higher and they'll outprice themselves from the market. Now the Z50 would be up against stiff competition. It's unlikely your average consumer would choose the Z50 over, say, an S5. The only way to do this is to include some killer spec or function (extra manufacturing cost), or undercut the competition in terms of price (losses to profit).

Now, BlackBerry simply cannot outprice the competition. Samsung would happily run at a loss in order to wipe the Z50 off the table. BlackBerry, despite having $3B in the bank, cannot run at a loss for long, nor would it make sense to. So you're left with a Z50 which may please a handful of BlackBerry loyal, but can't generate profit for the company - something they vitally need.

So what do you do? You let the others win that battle - at least for now. You develop a product that sits in a niche sector which allows you to regain revenue. The Passport. By this very strategy, I can assume that it will not be a cheap device. It's designed to be profitable and targeted to a niche sector. They may not sell many, but they'll be profitable on the hardware, with little to no competition in that direct (but small) sector. Essentially they're choosing a battle ground where there are no enemy in order to strengthen their game play.

Meanwhile they wait, and they move foward at the same time.

They wait to see what develops in the handset consumer market. If an opportunity avails itself to bring an all-touch to market, they will. If that opportunity doesn't avail itself, they won't. This is what Chen meant by saying they would only stay in the handset market if it's profitable.

Also they move forward. Smart phones (at least in their current implementation) are a phase. React all you like to that statement, but technology keeps advancing. Any intelligent company will stay one step ahead of the curve - and by that, I don't mean just upping the specs in a device. I mean predicting the next 'big thing'. This is where BlackBerry's mobile computing revolution comes into play. If BlackBerry can build the underlying infrastructure for the 'next big thing', they win. They win the war, not the battles - by predicting the direction of where the war is going, and arriving there before anyone else.

The lack of a Z50 might appear as a battle lost, but I dare say it's a sign of a more strategic move to win a far bigger war.

Good luck to them.
    tinochiko, svelt, Mazokun and 2 others like this.
    07-22-14 10:11 PM
    Or is BlackBerry losing the battle in order to win the war?

BlackBerry cannot compete with the competition in the all-touch space at this point in time. They cannot. Apple and Samsung are too strong and too cashed up to be attacked by BlackBerry, especially with current consumer sentiment.

Think about it. BlackBerry drop the Z50 on the market. At best it will match the specs offered by companies such as Samsung. Any higher and they'll outprice themselves from the market. Now the Z50 would be up against stiff competition. It's unlikely your average consumer would choose the Z50 over, say, an S5. The only way to do this is to include some killer spec or function (extra manufacturing cost), or undercut the competition in terms of price (losses to profit).

Now, BlackBerry simply cannot outprice the competition. Samsung would happily run at a loss in order to wipe the Z50 off the table. BlackBerry, despite having $3B in the bank, cannot run at a loss for long, nor would it make sense to. So you're left with a Z50 which may please a handful of BlackBerry loyal, but can't generate profit for the company - something they vitally need.

So what do you do? You let the others win that battle - at least for now. You develop a product that sits in a niche sector which allows you to regain revenue. The Passport. By this very strategy, I can assume that it will not be a cheap device. It's designed to be profitable and targeted to a niche sector. They may not sell many, but they'll be profitable on the hardware, with little to no competition in that direct (but small) sector. Essentially they're choosing a battle ground where there are no enemy in order to strengthen their game play.

Meanwhile they wait, and they move foward at the same time.

They wait to see what develops in the handset consumer market. If an opportunity avails itself to bring an all-touch to market, they will. If that opportunity doesn't avail itself, they won't. This is what Chen meant by saying they would only stay in the handset market if it's profitable.

Also they move forward. Smart phones (at least in their current implementation) are a phase. React all you like to that statement, but technology keeps advancing. Any intelligent company will stay one step ahead of the curve - and by that, I don't mean just upping the specs in a device. I mean predicting the next 'big thing'. This is where BlackBerry's mobile computing revolution comes into play. If BlackBerry can build the underlying infrastructure for the 'next big thing', they win. They win the war, not the battles - by predicting the direction of where the war is going, and arriving there before anyone else.

The lack of a Z50 might appear as a battle lost, but I dare say it's a sign of a more strategic move to win a far bigger war.

Good luck to them.
    This I like! I don't agree with everything you write, but I do appreciate the high level of thought.

One of my central disagreements with BlackBerry's smartphone strategy is that they charged high prices for their flagship hardware, which guaranteed lower unit sales. This pricing hurt developers for BB10 and it hurt the spread of BB10, but it allowed for a very few highly profitable sales from BlackBerry fans who paid full retail. I agree that this policy will happen again with the Passport. In both cases, prices will continue to fall rapidly for BlackBerry devices due to market forces.

My point is that I think that BlackBerry, had it moved forward with the Z50, would have been in a better position to snag more customers who are committed (like the overwhelming majority of the market) to all-touch flagship designs. If BlackBerry had only snagged 1 out of 20 buyers with a spec-equivalent Z50, it'd be at a 5% market share.

07-23-14 12:21 AM
    This I like! I don't agree with everything you write, but I do appreciate the high level of thought.

One of my central disagreements with BlackBerry's smartphone strategy is that they charged high prices for their flagship hardware, which guaranteed lower unit sales. This pricing hurt developers for BB10 and it hurt the spread of BB10, but it allowed for a very few highly profitable sales from BlackBerry fans who paid full retail. I agree that this policy will happen again with the Passport. In both cases, prices will continue to fall rapidly for BlackBerry devices due to market forces.

My point is that I think that BlackBerry, had it moved forward with the Z50, would have been in a better position to snag more customers who are committed (like the overwhelming majority of the market) to all-touch flagship designs. If BlackBerry had only snagged 1 out of 20 buyers with a spec-equivalent Z50, it'd be at a 5% market share.

That's my view as well. To continue that thread, it's not only 1 of 20, its those of us with Z's waiting for the next flagship touch device. As it stands now, they've lost me. My z10 took an unfortunate tumble this morning, and had it not been for the screen protector, I wouldn't be tapping here. I'm going to be upgrading my device, and I'm not going back to keyboard, and refuse to get a near 1 year old z30 that has a lesser display than my nearly 2 year z10. Where does that leave me? No clue, but BlackBerry has no option for people in my position anymore, and there's arguably more people in my position than those waiting for a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 05:42 PM

A very valid concern in my opinion. Especially considering the Passport. The classic might have a bit more appeal, but I still don't see it being a huge seller.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    07-23-14 07:34 PM
    Misleading thread. Nothing "revealed"

Posted via My Beast Q10
    07-23-14 08:23 PM
78 1234