06-06-14 03:11 PM
290 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    Sucks
    04-27-14 12:13 PM
    I disagree.... That's like saying Apple should lower the price on the iPhone relative to the BlackBerry Z30 because up to now the iPhone does not have a 5" screen like the Z30, long lasting battery like the Z30, Paratek antenna like the Z30, FM radio like the Z30, or the BlackBerry Hub. You can't really compare any two devices purely on a few arbitrary specs. Moreover, the iPhone has been plagued in the past by faulty antenna, overheating battery, small screen, iOS bugs, faulty on/off switch, and poor map app.

Posted using my Z30
    Bro... I just can't understand why on earth we set ourselves on fire and loose the picture when the word APPLE gets mentioned...I don't think it's fair to dismiss them out right. they are the competition and we need to focus on that. We all Love BlackBerry, We want them to do wonders. So the ground reality is, BlackBerry was the market leader and pioneer of the smartphone industry 'Once ' and we got arrogant, we didn't innovate on time and failed to understand the changing needs of people, enter Apple, we ridiculed them and their innovation, but people didn't. Result??? We fell badly, lost our position and now are in murky waters... So what do we do now? Do we do the same mistakes again? We have an awesome ever stabilising BB10 OS... We are not Apple... How do start taking our market share back? By producing better devices than apple but not the best device amongst the entire competition? Na..that my friend is unfortunately not an option anymore.... IMO BlackBerry Devices gets the job done perfectly...but it does not excite any one other than us fellow BlackBerrians...I Love BlackBerry but I would want them to increase Lovers of BlackBerry, one of the ways is to provide the best device at the time of the launch that is available in the market, ask for premium and people will give it, make good device but not the best, charge them appropriately and people will still give their dollars, but making just a better device than Apple ( not the best available) and expecting people to buy because it's just a little better than Apple ain't gonna help much...because the earlier we understand that we don't command what probably Apple and Samsung commands, the more easier and with more conviction this battle will be fought ...
    Love My BlackBerry and Want Them To Lead Us Again!!!!

Posted via CB10
    toneytone likes this.
    04-27-14 12:41 PM
    Bro... I just can't understand why on earth we set ourselves on fire and loose the picture when the word APPLE gets mentioned...I don't think it's fair to dismiss them out right. they are the competition and we need to focus on that. We all Love BlackBerry, We want them to do wonders. So the ground reality is, BlackBerry was the market leader and pioneer of the smartphone industry 'Once ' and we got arrogant, we didn't innovate on time and failed to understand the changing needs of people, enter Apple, we ridiculed them and their innovation, but people didn't. Result??? We fell badly, lost our position and now are in murky waters... So what do we do now? Do we do the same mistakes again? We have an awesome ever stabilising BB10 OS... We are not Apple... How do start taking our market share back? By producing better devices than apple but not the best device amongst the entire competition? Na..that my friend is unfortunately not an option anymore.... IMO BlackBerry Devices gets the job done perfectly...but it does not excite any one other than us fellow BlackBerrians...I Love BlackBerry but I would want them to increase Lovers of BlackBerry, one of the ways is to provide the best device at the time of the launch that is available in the market, ask for premium and people will give it, make good device but not the best, charge them appropriately and people will still give their dollars, but making just a better device than Apple ( not the best available) and expecting people to buy because it's just a little better than Apple ain't gonna help much...because the earlier we understand that we don't command what probably Apple and Samsung commands, the more easier and with more conviction this battle will be fought ...
    Love My BlackBerry and Want Them To Lead Us Again!!!!

Posted via CB10
    My intention was not to single out nor "pick on" Apple. My comments apply to any competitor. I still think the Z30 was superior to many other devices when it first came out, even if certain individuals specs were not as "advanced" as they those of other competing devices, whether Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc.

Posted using my Z30
    04-27-14 01:07 PM
    My intention was not to single out nor "pick on" Apple. My comments apply to any competitor. I still think the Z30 was superior to many other devices when it first came out, even if certain individuals specs were not as "advanced" as they those of other competing devices, whether Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc.

Posted using my Z30
    Bro.. I know you love BlackBerry and so do I, and my intention was not to pick on you, but I somehow feel that there is this dismissive arrogant attitude when it comes to mentioning Apple here, however as True BlackBerrians we should keep them in our focus and think of suggesting ways that will enable us to topple them in the long run.
    I have said it in various posts that Z30 is a great device, but barring couple of specs from HTC, couple from Samsung and one or two from Apple. IMHO I think BlackBerry needs a flagship device that is way ahead of competition and attracts more numbers and attention. And they will have to continue this tradition over a period of time to command or become a major player once again. They have all the necessary ingredients, they need to streamline them.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 02:26 PM
    Bro.. I know you love BlackBerry and so do I, and my intention was not to pick on you, but I somehow feel that there is this dismissive arrogant attitude when it comes to mentioning Apple here, however as True BlackBerrians we should keep them in our focus and think of suggesting ways that will enable us to topple them in the long run.
    I have said it in various posts that Z30 is a great device, but barring couple of specs from HTC, couple from Samsung and one or two from Apple. IMHO I think BlackBerry needs a flagship device that is way ahead of competition and attracts more numbers and attention. And they will have to continue this tradition over a period of time to command or become a major player once again. They have all the necessary ingredients, they need to streamline them.

Posted via CB10
    You are absolutely right. I think that is the only path by which BlackBerry can start making it way out of the hole it has dug itself into.

This idea of going back to keyboards is crazy in my opinion. That's what got them into trouble in the first place.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    menshawy and MAJ009 like this.
    04-27-14 10:03 PM
    Since every time I upgraded to the latest, greatest BlackBerry a new phone is released in the next couple of months. So in the interest of ensuring that a new high-end phone is released, I will be upgrading to the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-27-14 10:14 PM
    Since every time I upgraded to the latest, greatest BlackBerry a new phone is released in the next couple of months. So in the interest of ensuring that a new high-end phone is released, I will be upgrading to the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your superstition works. I'm ready for an upgrade.

04-27-14 10:21 PM
    I don't intend to buy another smartphone for a long time once I get the blackberry classic. Sure i'll have fun with the experimentations of the androiders and windosers and iosers, but I will simply be sticking with what works. It doesn't bother me that touch screen devices won't be coming from blackberry (or so they say) in the next few years, so it's all good. I'm not an all touch guy at all, and it would drive me nuts to use only a touch screen without any such tactileness I get from a real keyboard, that is for damn sure. Call me a die-hard, call me a fanboy, I used to use an HTC/UTstarcom 6700, then pearl 8130, 9700, now 9900 and Q10. Always have been with the keyboard, never will give it up. I like chen's viewpoint, better to not make promises and to surprise the **** out of everybody in my opinion. I like surprises instead of promises, since you cannot always keep them.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    Katika99 and Mr4aces like this.
    04-27-14 10:39 PM
    Hoping same here too... )

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    04-28-14 04:51 AM
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your superstition works. I'm ready for an upgrade.

Hoping same same here too )

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 04:52 AM
    I don't intend to buy another smartphone for a long time once I get the blackberry classic. Sure i'll have fun with the experimentations of the androiders and windosers and iosers, but I will simply be sticking with what works. It doesn't bother me that touch screen devices won't be coming from blackberry (or so they say) in the next few years, so it's all good. I'm not an all touch guy at all, and it would drive me nuts to use only a touch screen without any such tactileness I get from a real keyboard, that is for damn sure. Call me a die-hard, call me a fanboy, I used to use an HTC/UTstarcom 6700, then pearl 8130, 9700, now 9900 and Q10. Always have been with the keyboard, never will give it up. I like chen's viewpoint, better to not make promises and to surprise the **** out of everybody in my opinion. I like surprises instead of promises, since you cannot always keep them.

Posted via CrackBerry 10 (CB10) application using my BlackBerry Q10.
    I totally agree with your view point of waiting for a qwerty classic and BlackBerry should for sure cater to that segment as well, but as crazigee in a post earlier said that focusing only on qwerty or primarily on qwerty will not serve BlackBerry a lot as people using qwerty devices are in minority. Hence with out leaving that segment out IMHO BlackBerry should cater to all touch devices in all price ranges and slowly they will start getting numbers too...
    I think Chen is working on it and is in the right groove so far..
    I also fully agree with you on the promises part...its better to surprise rather than promise and disappoint.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-14 05:01 AM
    I agree with their choice to stick with primarily qwerty and hard keys (and the trackpad). It's what sets blackberry apart. In a market full of very similar devices, specialization is a key to survival.

They really should try and capture messaging heavy younger social media users with a phone design too, their classic designs are a stones throw away from being very good for that market too.

And they should up their android compatibility in bb10, and perhaps even design some android apps for networking with bb10, so android and blackberry tablet users both can get unique service sharing options with their phones (answer calls, text and email, use gps maps etc, via your tablets connection with the phone, drive sharing, streaming, miracast and more)- maximum open platforming is a great market strategy. Perhaps even smart watches too. Its what saved apple desktops from going under (oh, how they forget!). Most other platforms are closed down, so the android apk compatibility is a great starting point for a compatibility and internet of things friendly device that outstrips its competition in its ability to work cross-platform.

On that note, they should probably also make BBM crossplatform (android, and ios), rename it (maybe whatsapp compatible?), intergrate some social media stuff into it.

I look forward to seeing what BB have to offer, in their new tablet, and new phone. Probably at least as key, is what they have to offer in bb10 and generally software wise.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-06-14 at 09:50 PM.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    05-06-14 09:36 PM
    I agree with their choice to stick with primarily qwerty and hard keys (and the trackpad). It's what sets blackberry apart. In a market full of very similar devices, specialization is a key to survival.

They really should try and capture messaging heavy younger social media users with a phone design too, their classic designs are a stones throw away from being very good for that market too.

And they should up their android compatibility in bb10, and perhaps even design some android apps for networking with bb10, so android and blackberry tablet users both can get unique service sharing options with their phones (answer calls, text and email, use gps maps etc, via your tablets connection with the phone, drive sharing, streaming, miracast and more)- maximum open platforming is a great market strategy. Perhaps even smart watches too. Its what saved apple desktops from going under (oh, how they forget!). Most other platforms are closed down, so the android apk compatibility is a great starting point for a compatibility and internet of things friendly device that outstrips its competition in its ability to work cross-platform.

On that note, they should probably also make BBM crossplatform (android, and ios), rename it (maybe whatsapp compatible?), intergrate some social media stuff into it.

I look forward to seeing what BB have to offer, in their new tablet, and new phone. Probably at least as key, is what they have to offer in bb10 and generally software wise.
    Have you traveled here in a Delorien?

BBM is cross platform.

Keyboards are what differentiated BlackBerry. It's also what drove them into the ground.

Last edited by crazigee; 05-07-14 at 03:36 PM.
    05-07-14 02:56 PM
    And its what will save them again when more people have tablets than smart phones and there is increasing functionality overlap (and of course large 5-5.5 inch screen smart phones are inferior as an experience to a larger 6.5-10 inch tablet).

Maybe I do have a delorian, because I predict its all down hill from here for the large all touch device. It think we _just_ witnessed the peak. Tablet take up is twice as fast as smart phones was. The recent market share shows iphone is well down. Samsung reported its first loss of profits this year. Not only is the market maxed, and chinese manufacturers slipping in, but I think its also the rise of the tablet and phablet. I think thats it, I think the large screen smart phone is going to fall out of favour. Its too big to be a useful phone, too fragile to be overly portable, and the number of situations you can use it in, versus say, a 6.5 inch phablet or 7 inch tablet, are not really worth the size, fragility, price and sacrifice in everday functions (calling, texting, email) for most consumers, especially now the wow factor is gone for touch devices. Once all smart phone users have ph/tablets, much fewer of them are going to want their device to have a slightly smaller little brother.

Take something a lot of smart phone users do - read books and web pages. On a 5 inch device, its a eye strain. You have to hold it closer to your face. Its a pain. And, most people IMO would rather read a book, at home, on a bus journey or something, and not while they are walking down the road to get milk.

So yeah, I see the large screen all touch phone become a niche market for higher-use users, gamers, and technophiles. For casual users, having the larger, faster, better tablet, will make having a more mobile phone like smart phone, make more sense.

Which is great for blackberry, if it can get in there, with the right functionality, and pitch.

I don't use BBM, so I wouldn't know (I don't have a BIS plan and am pre bb10). So BBM is on android and ios? Or is it whats app compatible?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-07-14 09:51 PM
    Dream size would be 4.5".
    Everything else is I think to big.
    Well I would also go with 5", but that is the absolute maximum and probably to big to use it onehanded

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 01:45 AM
    Totally, for an all touch 4.5 is about the maximum size that you can use comfortably as a phone, and is portable. I lean towards 4 inches for an all touch (I like not being bogged down by heavy stuff in my pockets), but id be happy with 4.5

For a hard keyed device (touch or non-touch), I am happy with anything from 3-3.5, because the input is easier, and doesn't use the screen. Im only doing occasional, relatively boring stuff if I am away from my flatscreen, computer or tablet - and of that stuff, the majority is texting, emalling, messaging and phoning or occasionally looking at a map, so theres no point in wasting pocket and hand real estate for the extra inches (plus its a real pain to baby a big glass phone. Its really freeing to just chuck stuff in your bag or pocket and rock around without a care, and its life enhancing to leave the internet alone for a while, use it only when its actually useful when your out and about)

Interesting actually the phone I just acquired, the 9360, I saw a builder online talking about how it was good, practical, and very hard to break, and how his builder friend has had his for four years without breaking. He said, when his died, he would buy another, and basically stick with that phone for life.

It would be nice if more phones could pass that kind of standard, as well as the hand/pocket standard, and the easy texting/good calling standard.

Dont get me wrong, its nice to google something if your curious and dont have your tablet, or set up a hotspot, etc. But pretty dumb if your phone is bad at being a mobile phone as a sacrifice.

Ironic in this day and age, that so many do not even close to meet those basic standards overall, the primary tasks of a mobile phone (being mobile, being a phone), when ten years ago they did these things well.

And conversely I heard one guy on here recently say he read novels on his five inch phone in bed. I do not envy his eyes :P Seriously man, get an e-book reader, or a 7 or 8 inch tablet. People are funny, the way they do things without thinking, only to have it slowly dawn on them much later......
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-08-14 at 04:13 AM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-08-14 04:00 AM
    I think that the Z50 had better beat the iPhone 6 to market this year, or it could be disastrous for BlackBerry.

I expect the iPhone 6 to be an absolute beast this year. It'll be absolutely murderous to the competition with larger (multiple?) screen sizes, new features, excellent build quality, etc. So, Art of War style, BlackBerry must be where Apple iPhone is not and hopefully make sales before people see the iPhone 6.

Some people like physical keyboard (pk) phones as a BlackBerry solution. Hmmm. I think the Windermere is a hideous phone from what we've seen so far and that it will likely have usability/learnability issues due to the totally new swipe pk. The spec bounce is encouraging, however. I think the Classic seems logical, but honestly, how many unconverted old BlackBerry users will it bring in? Why have those customers not bought the Q10 already? Is it really the lack of a utility belt on the Q10? I'm not convinced of that, but I'm not a pk customer so time will tell. I like pk phones remaining in BlackBerry's product mix, but a true flagship all touch device is what's really needed.

What would be reasonable to expect from BlackBerry in terms of all-touch devices that could come to market without apologizing for lower specs? I'm so glad you've asked.

Look at the OnePlus One phone. The company ,OnePlus, only went public in December of last year and it is already bringing a 1080p packing unibody powerhouse that beats or at least competes spec wise with the GS5 and HTC One. And it's bringing it to market right now and for $300 total off-contract price!

So, I don't want to hear excuses about why BlackBerry has been a year late getting products launched. BlackBerry needs to execute as well as OnePlus and follow its lead with the Z50. If it can be done by OnePlus, it should be possible for BlackBerry.

Given the poor carrier relationships that have been dogging BlackBerry's USA sales, having a low-cost, high-spec flagship device is essential because carrier finance and/or subsidies are unavailable. At that point, BlackBerry would compete. People would pick up the phone and play with BB10. Show them how their Android paid apps will be available on the new BlackBerry and how the spec parity means everything will run smoothly. Show them how old strengths have been enhanced and old weaknesses have been eliminated.

That is how you win.

Sent from my BB Z10 running OS 10.3.0.140.
    Last edited by eyesopen1111; 05-10-14 at 06:58 PM.
    05-10-14 06:41 PM
    Just came back here to say
    Thread fail

Posted via CB10 on my lovely z30 B)
    05-11-14 04:22 AM
    I think that the Z50 had better beat the iPhone 6 to market this year, or it could be disastrous for BlackBerry.
    Absolutely. I don't if it has to beat the iPhone to market, but it definitely has to be released around the same time.

BlackBerry can't succeed if it keeps bringing devices to market 6-12 months after the competition and with specs that are behind those other devices. By the time BlackBerry releases a new device people have already purchased another device and are stuck in a contract.

BlackBerry has to release devices in a timely manner.

eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-11-14 05:27 AM
    1080p.

I hope people realize that higher resolution chews up advances in the other specs, like cpu, gpu, mah. Or if they dont realize it, I hope they gradually learn. I also hope they learn that the bottle neck is not cpu, but ram and moreso internal storage speed - the slowest parts are the parts people should be speeding up.

This is exactly why the z3 should be quite swift, and have a surprisingly long battery life. They didn't over pump the resolution, or cpu. And they beefed the battery.

These gimmicky phone specs that these companies are producing and selling these days, it makes one want to eye roll. Im reminded of the goofy octocore. Octocore is useless. Theres no software written for it. Its not the bottleneck in multitasking at all.

Resolution -You think you can see the difference between a 1080p five inch screen and a 800p-ish five inch screen? Is it an amazing difference? Is it worth the cost in system speed, or battery life to have that almost invisible added sharpness, while having the same sort of speed and battery life as last years model?

Or are you buying a number that translates into very little in the real world?

I guess I expect too much of smart phone consumers, as they tend to be anything but smart about how their devices mechanics, software, or what these numbers mean in practice. Look at the apps in the google play store. Or the average user.

Someone needs to sell them some specs that really matter. Like internal storage speed, ram speed, battery life, wifi and call reception, actually useful rather than gimmicky OS and software features, better interface, better input, durability, portability. Sell them stuff that isn't technophile snake oil, but genuine day to day performance.

Just look at the fact that all these phones don't even mention the speed of their internal storage read and write? Would you run your desktop OS and software from a usb flash drive? No, nobody in the first world would, they are all about the read write speeds of the drive. And the drive speed is primary to performance, followed only by ram amount, and ram speed..

But with phones and tablets, no one cares, even though thats what is holding up all your installs, your boot time, your multitasking, browsing, everything, and no amount of RAM or CPU is going to fix that, because it still has to load from the disk.

And adding more resolution only makes it worse, because there is more to load from that fairly slow disk.

Does any companies selling these devices list their read write speeds? Do they even care?

Alot of these nand flash drives are slower than anyone would buy for micro sd expansion, and you often get speed gains on android by shifting your apps from internal! Sometimes huge gains. That shows you that not only does no one care, because the consumers are so stupid they dont care, but they are putting slow *** nand flash in the internal storage. Like class 4 slow. This is no class 10, uhs-1 stuff, its probably slower than a usb flash drive, and nowhere near ssd.

The whole "spec war" thing is actually really sad, because the companies aren't selling real performance, they are selling the idea of it to consumers who don't know any better. They are buying a gimmick.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-12-14 at 09:18 AM.
    05-12-14 08:58 AM
    I want a 4.8" screen with an octacore and 1080p and full touch screen!

Z10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-12-14 09:01 AM
    God I hope thats irony. If not, please read my last post.
    joeyfran17 likes this.
    05-12-14 09:14 AM
    God I hope thats irony. If not, please read my last post.
    Actually there is a noticeable difference between 1080p and 720p.

And BlackBerry isn't going to succeed if the keep using lower specs and trying to convince the market that it is good enough.

eyesopen1111 and eldricho like this.
    05-12-14 10:19 AM
    lol.

On a five inch phone, its slightly noticable yes. In a minor way. But that extra resolutions costs both battery life (to a large degree) and system speed (to a large degree).

The slight increase it sharpness is offset my a major loss of both speed and battery life.

With multiple cores the story is even more of a jib. The average consumer just knows that these are numbers that people want, and they are higher. They don't really know what impact they have on the experience of using the device.

I would go for 50% under retina display every time offered the choice, until the battery tech advances in a major way, and the cpu speed and ram skips ahead. Thats me, id rather have a faster device that lasts longer, than a minor increase in pixel sharpness.

I cannot even comprehend why tablets and phones are using class 4 type nand flash for storage instead of ssd or enhanced speed nand flash - and no one even mentions read or write speeds EVER, on any of these devices. Thats insane!

.....At least windows 8 tablet users are smart enough to pay attention to the right things. They don't buy anything octacore - they know its total waste of time - in fact manufactures are pushing that because despite being useless it avoids them dealing with heat sink issues by using actually more powerful chips, rather than just more of them.

For a windows tablet user, dual core is fine, quad is too.

They have ssd, or enhanced speed nand flash with good amounts of storage space (at least twice the speed of class 10, uhs-1 micro sd, and that is much faster than your average smart phone internal storage on its own. But usually this is ssd, and its more than four times the speed of uhs-1, which is a still much faster than most smart phone internal storage).

They have highspeed ram (ddr3 or higher, dual channel or better, high mhz speed), at least 2gb (2-4 usually, but windows is ram hungry). They look for good higher resolutions that don't compromise battery life or system performance, and a battery with decent mah. Retina might be great in principle, till your device starts to lag. Your resolution needs to match the rest of your hardware spec. And because smart phones are not that fast yet, and still have horrible battery lives, it probably shouldn't be something everyone maxes out just yet.

They understand more about what the numbers mean, the system architecture, the windows tablet users.

Compare the listed specs of a windows tablet, with a chinese android smart phone - the former lists and prioritizes all the right things in the design, the later is all backwards, because the users are on average, are just not particularly tech smart.

The average smart phone user wants a device that just isn't as good as it could be, in reality, if it was designed not to wow the ignorant with numbers, but actually work really well, to really fly.

For example, most smart phone users want good multi-tasking, smooth performance, fluid interface - that doesn't come from more cores or even particularly cpu speed. Your smart phone isn't doing intensive math anyway outside of games. Its impeded by very high resolutions - double the resolution, and your not doubling your veiwing experience, but you are basically halving the battery life and the speed of the system. Good fluid multi-tasking comes primarily from a good easy flow from storage to ram and the graphics card.

If you have a good fast ram system, and good fast storage, a decent enough graphics card (with some of its own fast ram) - with whatever the threshold for the OS is in terms of operating ram (usually I think probably 1.5-2 gbs for a lot of smart phones depending again on resolution) - multitasking and fluidity will be all there - and it will load programs quickly, install quickly , browse quickly, boot quickly.

Smart phone users are looking at the wrong specs.

And I don't think blackberry has to compete on largely poorly conceived specs either - because "mid" tablets and phablets are going to kill large screen smart phones anyway. They have bigger numbers, lol (and bigger screens). Just wait and see - if your a technophile type or show off, you won't be picking up a note or an iphone in two years, you'll be picking up a mid 6-7 inch phablet. Possibly with a keyboard case - itll slip into your jacket pocket, or your shoulder bag or purse but - you'll probably want something else that actually fits in your pants pocket to use as a phone when your not carrying it or at home where you'll possibly use your ten inch tablet, or 7-8 inch novel style tablet.

The whole market will be split on specialization, size, and function.
    Last edited by Jamie Brahm; 05-13-14 at 11:42 AM.
    05-13-14 11:06 AM
    Thread title should be updated to False!

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 12:06 PM
290 ... 7891011 ...