06-06-14 02:11 PM
290 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Because they've done it before. Many times.
    Not this management team. I'd like to think that they are better than that.
    04-23-14 04:53 PM
    I have the Z30, which is fantastic. If BlackBerry releases the Z50 in 2014, I'll get that too!

Posted using my Z30
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-23-14 05:43 PM
    I don't understand how the Z30 is a half baked device. If anything, it's a very smart device from it's hardware layout.
    It's a flagship device at a flagship price with middling specs.had they priced it better, and the Z10 which had same issue) and made it available on their site sooner, they would have sold more. Now I'm not going to pay $499 for a 6+ month old device that other companies sell better spec'd hardware for cheaper.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 06:29 AM
    Haven't they always, in the last decade? Lol...

For the price of a Mac you could ALWAYS build a PC running Windows that had better specs. 100% of the time. This is even more true today, given the low price of video cards and LCD screens compared to several years ago.

Laptops are often a crap shoot on chassis quality, but as far as hardware many Windows laptops are cheaper and more powerful than Macs.

Apple excels at taking people's money.
    They also excel in service and support after the sell, and in the quality if the build.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 06:31 AM
    Personally I'm waiting for this device plus Chen said that they were reading a device to win customers of iOs and Android over. I don't think they want to loose holiday season although I'm aware they are working against the clock ,so everything can happen.

BlackBerry you should keep moving!

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Smartie020 likes this.
    04-24-14 10:24 PM
    Why would they hold a device, not release it, and not update the original plans? Not a great idea.
    Realistically, if the high-end device gets bumped from the schedule for 2014 as they may not think there is enough demand then they are clearly going to have to update the specs on it if it is going to be a 2015 device instead and anyone saying differently is merely scaremongering as that is an entirely different scenario from a device slipping by a few months which is what has happened in the past.
    04-25-14 03:47 AM
    Realistically, if the high-end device gets bumped from the schedule for 2014 as they may not think there is enough demand then they are clearly going to have to update the specs on it if it is going to be a 2015 device instead and anyone saying differently is merely scaremongering as that is an entirely different scenario from a device slipping by a few months which is what has happened in the past.
    You mean like the Z10. Clearly a device designed for a mid 2012 rollout that didn't rollout till 2013, or the Z30 that clearly wasn't at the top either and was behind phones released months prior.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 03:56 AM
    You mean like the Z10. Clearly a device designed for a mid 2012 rollout that didn't rollout till 2013, or the Z30 that clearly wasn't at the top either and was behind phones released months prior.
    The former was designed for a lat 2012 rollout that got pushed back until early 2013, just because the specs didn't match up to those required for android to run smoothly is an entirely different issue and one that only comes up because they are not able to hide their specs like apple does with the iphone.

As far as the z30, that seemed more like an intentional approach rather than actual delays, with them focusing on producing a large screen device that could be an all-touch workhorse due to factors like the long battery life, you can argue that they should have gone with a 1080p display to appease the spec whores but that would have had a negative affect on the overall device.
    04-25-14 04:18 AM
    The former was designed for a lat 2012 rollout that got pushed back until early 2013, just because the specs didn't match up to those required for android to run smoothly is an entirely different issue and one that only comes up because they are not able to hide their specs like apple does with the iphone.

As far as the z30, that seemed more like an intentional approach rather than actual delays, with them focusing on producing a large screen device that could be an all-touch workhorse due to factors like the long battery life, you can argue that they should have gone with a 1080p display to appease the spec whores but that would have had a negative affect on the overall device.
    Nope first BB10 devices were supposed to launch in early 2012, then summer 2012, then early 2013. This is why they basically launched a Samsung GS3 9 months after the GS3. And you may not like specs like 1080, but when two phones are priced the same, and someone can clearly see the differences and the processors are one gen behind, it does matter. Running on lower hardware better is acceptable if you are paying less for the solution, but this isn't the case of BlackBerry. Obviously you think BlackBerry's approach to BB10 has been the right one, unfortunately the numbers disagree.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:54 AM
    just because the specs didn't match up to those required for android to run smoothly is an entirely different issue and one that only comes up because they are not able to hide their specs
    The Z10's hardware has more than enough power to run Android smoothly. The issue with Android performance on the Z10 (and even the Z30) is entirely software based, not hardware based.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 08:53 AM

I agree, my Z30 lasts forever on a single charge since the components like the AMOLED 720p screen are low-drain. A LCD back lit 1080p screen would drain the battery too quickly.

Posted using my Z30
    04-25-14 03:30 PM
    The former was designed for a lat 2012 rollout that got pushed back until early 2013
    I don't know where you get your info from. The Z10 was a year late in launching.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    04-25-14 09:57 PM
    Nope first BB10 devices were supposed to launch in early 2012, then summer 2012, then early 2013. This is why they basically launched a Samsung GS3 9 months after the GS3. And you may not like specs like 1080, but when two phones are priced the same, and someone can clearly see the differences and the processors are one gen behind, it does matter. Running on lower hardware better is acceptable if you are paying less for the solution, but this isn't the case of BlackBerry. Obviously you think BlackBerry's approach to BB10 has been the right one, unfortunately the numbers disagree.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it was a year late, but if it had released on time (in 2012) it probably would have had hardware comparable to the Galaxy S2, not S3.

BlackBerry has, to this day, never released a phone with specs that equal the latest Apple or Samsung/HTC etc... flagship.

BlackBerry flagship hardware is usually equivalent to what the Samsung/HTC or Apple flagship hardware was 6-12 months ago.

Examples include the:

9810/9900 : released in 2011 with performance similar to the 2010 iPhone 4,

Z10/Q10 : released in 2013 with specs almost identical to to the 2012 Galaxy S3,

and Z30 : released November 2013 with specs almost identical to the HTC One (M7) from March 2013.

The Z10/Q10 hardware specs were most likely *updated* to the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus from the hardware they originally planned to launch with in 2012.

I don't believe for a second that they would have launched the Z10/Q10 with Galaxy S3 hardware (S4 Plus) if had it come out in early or even mid 2012.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 04-26-14 at 12:06 AM.
    04-25-14 11:43 PM
    Yes it was a year late, but if it had released on time (in 2012) it probably would have had hardware comparable to the Galaxy S2, not S3.

BlackBerry has, to this day, never released a phone with specs that equal the latest Apple or Samsung/HTC etc... flagship.

BlackBerry flagship hardware is usually equivalent to what the Samsung/HTC or Apple flagship hardware was 6-12 months ago.

Examples include the:

9810/9900 : released in 2011 with performance similar to the 2010 iPhone 4,

Z10/Q10 : released in 2013 with specs almost identical to to the 2012 Galaxy S3,

and Z30 : released November 2013 with specs almost identical to the HTC One (M7) from March 2013.

The Z10/Q10 hardware specs were most likely *updated* to the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus from the hardware they originally planned to launch with in 2012.

I don't believe for a second that they would have launched the Z10/Q10 with Galaxy S3 hardware (S4 Plus) if had it come out in early or even mid 2012.

Posted via CB10
    And this is the issue. Even though they are always behind they still charge like it is on par hardware and software wise with the competition's flagship, and it simply hasn't. If the software allows you to come in cheaper than the competition in hardware, but still have great performance, then that is a strength if you pass those savings into the customer, but you just look arrogant and out of touch if you charge the same.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:57 AM
    And this is the issue. Even though they are always behind they still charge like it is on par hardware and software wise with the competition's flagship, and it simply hasn't. If the software allows you to come in cheaper than the competition in hardware, but still have great performance, then that is a strength if you pass those savings into the customer, but you just look arrogant and out of touch if you charge the same.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't choose the Z30 just based on the numbers in the specs. I chose it because of its design and how well all the individual components work together efficiently, and with low drain on the battery. For example, the 5" AMOLED 720p screen Is bright and crisp, but doesn't drain the battery as would a back lit LCD 1080p screen. No other device has the combination of components, as well as the BlackBerry Hub, large virtual keyboard with both auto correct and predictive text features, in addition to long-lasting battery.

Posted using my Z30
    04-26-14 08:35 AM
    I didn't choose the Z30 just based on the numbers in the specs. I chose it because of its design and how well all the individual components work together efficiently, and with low drain on the battery. For example, the 5" AMOLED 720p screen Is bright and crisp, but doesn't drain the battery as would a back lit LCD 1080p screen. No other device has the combination of components, as well as the BlackBerry Hub, large virtual keyboard with both auto correct and predictive text features, in addition to long-lasting battery.

Posted using my Z30
    Maybe you don't, however, I think many people do. The reality is that BlackBerry can't continue to charge as much for their devices as other manufacturers do when the BlackBerry devices clearly don't match up on specs.

eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-26-14 08:52 AM
    Maybe you don't, however, I think many people do. The reality is that BlackBerry can't continue to charge as much for their devices as other manufacturers do when the BlackBerry devices clearly don't match up on specs.

It's unfortunate but it's a reality. Most People today make choices based on specs, apps, design, OS, price etc. So if BlackBerry wants to charge premiums, then they better come up with premium devices in terms of specs at least as apps are some thing that will improve and is improving gradually. Or else, they better come up with appropriate prices that can sell their devices. IMO under this management, they are moving towards it, For example Z3 as per CB article is available for USD 142 on pre order.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 10:12 AM
    It's unfortunate but it's a reality. Most People today make choices based on specs, apps, design, OS, price etc. So if BlackBerry wants to charge premiums, then they better come up with premium devices in terms of specs.
    Exactly right. Just because it is the flagship BlackBerry device doesn't mean BlackBerry should be selling it at the same price as the flagship GS or iPhone, if it doesn't compete on specs.

eyesopen1111 and MAJ009 like this.
    04-26-14 10:40 AM
    In term of design and OS, the Z30 is fairly competitive. In terms of specs it's... okay. Honestly, the spec isn't bad. Not everyone needs a 1080 screen and some see the benefits for battery life. The Z10 has "better-than-Retina" pixel density and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Otherwise, the GPU in the Z30 is high-end, the build is great, the keyboard is arguably the best in the business and overall performance is decent.

There are a lot of buyers who care more about the overall user experience than raw specs. When a phone comes around that offers me that better experience, I'll seriously consider it. That isn't an idle fanboy boast, either. Both the Xperia Z2 and the Oppo Find 7 are attracting my attention.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    04-26-14 12:43 PM
    In term of design and OS, the Z30 is fairly competitive. In terms of specs it's... okay. Honestly, the spec isn't bad. Not everyone needs a 1080 screen and some see the benefits for battery life. The Z10 has "better-than-Retina" pixel density and it doesn't seem to have helped much.

Otherwise, the GPU in the Z30 is high-end, the build is great, the keyboard is arguably the best in the business and overall performance is decent.

There are a lot of buyers who care more about the overall user experience than raw specs. When a phone comes around that offers me that better experience, I'll seriously consider it. That isn't an idle fanboy boast, either. Both the Xperia Z2 and the Oppo Find 7 are attracting my attention.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    The Z30 is the best! Feel sorry for those who don't experience the Z30.....

Posted using my Z30
    04-26-14 12:49 PM
    The Z30 is the best! Feel sorry for those who don't experience the Z30.....

Posted using my Z30
    Z30 is a great device, in terms of performance, but the best device? Naaa... I Love BlackBerry but sorry dude, don't want my blind Love to Trip BlackBerry further down than what they already are !!!
    If it Ain't selling, it ain't Best... Not for majority of the people and not for the health of BlackBerry Business wise...

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 01:50 PM
    Z30 is a great device, in terms of performance, but the best device? Naaa... I Love BlackBerry but sorry dude, don't want my blind Love to Trip BlackBerry further down than what they already are !!!
    If it Ain't selling, it ain't Best... Not for majority of the people and not for the health of BlackBerry Business wise...

Posted via CB10
    Right on. I'm sorry but neither the Z10 nor the Z30 are the best devices. They are ok, but not the best.

He's right that not everyone needs 1080p. However, since BlackBerry doesn't have 1080p they can't continue to sell their devices at the same price as those that do.

BlackBerry needs to realize that trying to convince people that their devices are good enough doesn't work. They may be right that BlackBerry devices are good enough, but that isn't helping them to sell devices.

04-26-14 04:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 wasn't "behind.". It is an excellent device that came out when BlackBerry was ready to put it out. When the Z30 officially launched in September 2013, it was superior to most other devices on the market. The superficial review of the "specs" did not do justice to the quality of the Z30.

Posted using my Z30
    04-26-14 06:33 PM
    The Z30 wasn't "behind.". It is an excellent device that came out when BlackBerry was ready to put it out. When the Z30 officially launched in September 2013, it was superior to most other devices on the market. The superficial review of the "specs" did not do justice to the quality of the Z30.

Posted using my Z30
    And again if a company putsut a phone with a lower res screen and specs across the board, then the device should be cheaper than devices with bleeding edge specs, unless you name is Apple. BlackBerry prices the devices poorly and sales reflect this issue!

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    04-26-14 09:15 PM
    And again if a company putsut a phone with a lower res screen and specs across the board, then the device should be cheaper than devices with bleeding edge specs, unless you name is Apple. BlackBerry prices the devices poorly and sales reflect this issue!

Posted via CB10
    I disagree.... That's like saying Apple should lower the price on the iPhone relative to the BlackBerry Z30 because up to now the iPhone does not have a 5" screen like the Z30, long lasting battery like the Z30, Paratek antenna like the Z30, FM radio like the Z30, or the BlackBerry Hub. You can't really compare any two devices purely on a few arbitrary specs. Moreover, the iPhone has been plagued in the past by faulty antenna, overheating battery, small screen, iOS bugs, faulty on/off switch, and poor map app.

Posted using my Z30
    04-27-14 10:56 AM
290 ... 678910 ...