06-06-14 02:11 PM
290 ... 45678 ...
tools
    If a Honda Accord and a McLaren are both being sold for the same price it is going to be pretty hard to convince people to buy the Honda even if the Honda is just as good in "real world" scenarios.

It's just a fact.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Makes sense.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-16-14 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry Touts 'BlackBerry Classic' Phone, Cross-Platform Support | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

With the company's new tight focus on enterprise sales, the upcoming QWERTY-packing BlackBerry Classic (formerly known as the Q20) will be a key product, he [J. Chen] said. BlackBerry Bold loyalists, who he and Sims called out several times during the roundtable, can expect to see more keyboarded phones.
    "We'll concentrate on high-end phones for the enterprise customer," Chen said. "the majority of our phones will be keyboarded, but there will still be touch screens."
    Easy with forecasts, guys.
    Thunderbuck, kbz1960 and Nharzhool like this.
    04-16-14 07:49 AM
    That "limited availability" must refer to the US market ... because "here" in Canada, it's quite widely available. AND reasonably priced!

BBRY sells it "direct" at:
    BlackBerry US Online Store - BlackBerry Z30

AND considerably cheaper (about $50, factoring in the currency exchange ... but still!) than the Canadian carriers who'll also sell it "no-term" ...

So, even US-based buyers can order one (Direct from BBRY) or come visit the Great White North and pick one up as a souvenir.

Cheers, Eh!

The Z30 has extremely limited availability and no marketing. It's too late to push it now and I will be due for an upgrade in March 2015, though I usually buy out early. I'm on att and cannot get the proper device for LTE. That is not a flagship.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 08:48 AM
    Why do you describe yourself as a loyalist when non-loyalist iPhone users were willing to wait 1.25 years for the iPhone 4s?
    If there was a wait of an extra three months for the 4S, we've already passed that on the Z10. And we don't know when the next iteration will come out. So the analogy is not quite right.
    04-16-14 08:56 AM
    lol...so is this not just a rumour and should be discussed as such? or maybe it is just another stimuli to start the BB bashing?
    It's probably nothing more that some dodgy rumour from dodgy "sources." I didn't click on that link.
    04-16-14 08:59 AM
    In Apple standards, it is a flop. Even Ferrari can say Ford had some flops in the past even though Ferrari sells less vehicles. Apple had ordered massive amounts of 5Cs. Lots of stock. And even had to push the 5C through businesses at a bigger discount to make a sale. Somewhat Blackberryish IMO when a good portion of sales are actually business instead of consumers. At least in the USA.

Again, in Apple terms...the 5C is a flop. I don't know how you can flip this any other way. Fact is , I've seen more BB10's than 5C's, that's how pathetic the 5C is.
    And yet I have seen many many many more of this "flop" on the DC Metro since its release last summer than I have seen of the Z10 since its release over a year ago.

Go figure.
    04-16-14 09:03 AM
    In Apple standards, it is a flop. Even Ferrari can say Ford had some flops in the past even though Ferrari sells less vehicles. Apple had ordered massive amounts of 5Cs. Lots of stock. And even had to push the 5C through businesses at a bigger discount to make a sale. Somewhat Blackberryish IMO when a good portion of sales are actually business instead of consumers. At least in the USA.

Again, in Apple terms...the 5C is a flop. I don't know how you can flip this any other way. Fact is , I've seen more BB10's than 5C's, that's how pathetic the 5C is.
    Apple really created the iPhone 5C to replace the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 (especially the black one) was rumored to have serious quality control issues and the 5C is slightly cheaper to assemble.

The 5C has sold better for people on contract - it doesn't make much sense to buy a 5C if you are off contract. Most of those people are buying the 5s.
    04-16-14 09:21 AM
    This would be a big mistake.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:32 AM
    I'm guessing many of us have already read this article from N4BB that says there will be no new high end touch device released in 2014 by BlackBerry.

For those that haven't:
    Chen: There Will Be Touchscreen BlackBerry Devices Going Forward - N4BB

I find this very disappointing. I'm glad that the Z3 won't be the last ever touch screen, but I think it's a big mistake not to release a flagship touch in 2014.

Waiting to 2015 or even 2016, as the article suggests is too long for me.

Well, curiosity got the better of me so I clicked the link.
    The article states, and I am paraphrasing, that we know that there will be no new touchscreen devices in 2014. And the writer quotes an editorial where he makes a case that because Chen didn't reveal an all touch device in his interview that there won't be one.
    Memory fails me.....has BlackBerry at any point revealed a new device eight months before it's released?

Not surprisingly, the article gives no actual information that can be corroborated and utilises an editorial as proof of what we supposedly know.

Editorials and fiction tend to take hold of the public psyche. I know Bigfoot exists. There are many pictures of it on several magazines. Further, I know Nessie exists. A picture taken in 1923 and several movies corroborate its existence. And right now I know that the Wooly Mammoth exists because I saw renderings of it. And I cannot be proven wrong any more than the quoted article can be proven right.

In any case, I am subscribing to this thread and I'll check back on December 31, 2014.
    04-16-14 11:49 AM
    Well, curiosity got the better of me so I clicked the link.
    The article states, and I am paraphrasing, that we know that there will be no new touchscreen devices in 2014. And the writer quotes an editorial where he makes a case that because Chen didn't reveal an all touch device in his interview that there won't be one.
    Memory fails me.....has BlackBerry at any point revealed a new device eight months before it's released?

Not surprisingly, the article gives no actual information that can be corroborated and utilises an editorial as proof of what we supposedly know.

Editorials and fiction tend to take hold of the public psyche. I know Bigfoot exists. There are many pictures of it on several magazines. Further, I know Nessie exists. A picture taken in 1923 and several movies corroborate its existence. And right now I know that the Wooly Mammoth exists because I saw renderings of it. And I cannot be proven wrong any more than the quoted article can be proven right.

In any case, I am subscribing to this thread and I'll check back on December 31, 2014.
    I agree on this with you...that article doesn't prove anything!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:05 PM
    A "certified flop" that sells more in a month than BB10 did in a year with all 4 models combined. BB would LOVE to have a flop like that!

Pot: meet kettle.
    Funny I don't remember apple releasing specifics on how many sold for that particular model. Just iPhone as a whole.

And when I say flop I'm referring to the general consensus from the same media who people say are in cahoots with apple. Also as far as apple is concerned it was a flop compared to other years and products.
    So for them yeah it was a flop.

Also funny how people pull one statement out of a comment and completely ignore the rest. But that's the beauty of online forums....everyone is an expert ROTFL!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:54 PM
    You may not have seen it but believe me when I say the 5C sold 10x the amount of BB10 devices and then if you make it fair and say compare the sales of the Z10 to the 5C it looks worse.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    So your saying you've met with Tim cook and talked numbers???

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:56 PM
    If this turns out to be true it will be difficult for me to stay with BlackBerry. The only reason why I am sticking to BlackBerry is the BB10 OS, the efficiency it provides for communication, and the security. All of their current devices are just average for everything else. My Nexus 5 is twice as good as the Z30 pure performance wise. KitKat 4.4.2 runs smoother than BB10 and the screen is substantially better. The Z30 can tout...well...battery life. Yes, it is an important factor but I can also get monster battery life with a LG G2. Even the rumored 5+" iPhone is starting to look appealing. BlackBerry better step things up for touchscreen or they will be further relegated to nothing. I really do not get why we are going back in time.

If it turns out that iOS 8 moves to gestures as rumored, introduces an equivalent of the HUB, improves the keyboard, and Apple releases a large screen format phone with a full HD screen or better I'm most likely making the switch. Alternatively, Android may get some of the key features of BB10 before Apple does in which case they may be an option too. I swore many years ago never to make the switch but BlackBerry is really making it difficult for me to stay with them. The Z30 may be good by 2012 standards, but it is hardly an up to date device for 2014+. Also, after experiencing unaltered Android experience on the Nexus 5 I have to admit that BB10 could use extra horse power.
    04-16-14 02:06 PM
    You can definitely install paid apps. I installed Shiftsmart and that's a paid app.

Cool. Yeah. I tested it and it queried my Google Play purchase history. It was an app I had never bought. But it appeared it would have installed it if it found I had bought the app in the past. So I thought so.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-16-14 02:08 PM
    And yet I have seen many many many more of this "flop" on the DC Metro since its release last summer than I have seen of the Z10 since its release over a year ago.

Go figure.
    By Apple's standards it was a flop. The key here is the context given in

"By Apple's standards".

We all realize that this flop for Apple would be equivalent to the total rebirth of BlackBerry. Lol

But again, "by Apple's standards" the 5C was a flop. By Apple's standards... not BlackBerry's standards (which are a couple orders of magnitude less than Apple's sales standards).

Anecdotes about seeing 5C's on the subway or not seeing Z10's are irrelevant to this.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 04:27 PM
    Let's face it Chen is fixated on physical keyboards and enterprise, he's trying to turn the clock back to 2005 and pretend nothings changed.
    Rather embarrassing really.
    I would like to know where you got your business degree.

Aka S.Jizzle Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141
    04-16-14 04:32 PM
    I understand what you're trying to say but my question is isn't BlackBerry going to lose specifically these people, the ones who can't differentiate a superior device and who want to buy something that just popped into the market?

Posted via CB10 on my lovely z30 B)
    I agree with what you and others are saying about specs and their marketing importance.

My comment was directed specifically at you, and I was just pointing out that you may be dissapointed with a new "hot and fresh" device (if you drop your Z30 for one), since you will likely not notice any difference in performance with your higher spec'd device.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 04:32 PM
    By Apple's standards it was a flop. The key here is the context given in

"By Apple's standards".

We all realize that this flop for Apple would be equivalent to the total rebirth of BlackBerry. Lol

But again, "by Apple's standards" the 5C was a flop. By Apple's standards... not BlackBerry's standards (which are a couple orders of magnitude less than Apple's sales standards).

Anecdotes about seeing 5C's on the subway or not seeing Z10's are irrelevant to this.

Posted via CB10
    Not so irrelevant. I am pointing out the irony of such a "flop" in an area where BlackBerry reigned above all others. I did not say that is was a success to the level of an iPhone 4S, I am providing the juxtaposition of a "flop" that is seen more often in a city where the BlackBerry was so ubiquitous that people still use the work BlackBerry to mean "smartphone", like people use the word Kleenex to mean tissue, than the number of BB10 devices since last January.
    04-16-14 04:39 PM
    Not so irrelevant. I am pointing out the irony of such a "flop" in an area where BlackBerry reigned above all others. I did not say that is was a success to the level of an iPhone 4S, I am providing the juxtaposition of a "flop" that is seen more often in a city where the BlackBerry was so ubiquitous that people still use the work BlackBerry to mean "smartphone", like people use the word Kleenex to mean tissue, than the number of BB10 devices since last January.
    BB10 phones sold around 1 million devices last quarter. That was a flop. If my basement-startup phone company sold one million handsets last quarter, that would be an incredible success!

A flop is not an "absolute". It is a measure that is meaningless without the context of the company involved and the expectations on sales.

I maintain that -- By Apple's standards -- the 5C was a flop. But Apple has much higher sales standards than BlackBerry does in 2014.

I don't know how else I can explain my point

We will simply have to agree to disagree.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 04:49 PM
    I also point out that BlackBerry hasn't been the company you describe above for, what is approaching, half a decade now.

When I discuss BlackBerry (and 'flops'), I am discussing Apple and BlackBerry as they stand today in 2014.

I'm discussing BlackBerry and the expectations placed upon them today -- not when they were at their peak in 2008 with a 200 dollar stock price.

I'm not comparing 2008 BlackBerry against 2014 Apple.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 05:13 PM
    With the return of their focus predominantly towards the business users, it is sort of understandable why they are reducing the amount of high-end models they are intending to launch this year, companies are more likely to buy a q20 or the LTE version of the z3 for the employees over a high-end model.

Their one foray into the higher end of the market would seem to be this larger screen q30 and while not everyone likes the look of it at this point, nobody can really claim that it isn't a much more distinctive model than a generic 5" 1080p all-touch phone where people have a vast range of options already.
    04-16-14 07:43 PM
    I would like to know where you got your business degree.

Aka S.Jizzle Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141
    Why does he need a business degree to believe that focusing on keyboards is not the key to success for BlackBerry?

04-16-14 08:13 PM
    So your saying you've met with Tim cook and talked numbers???

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence...

Posted via CB10
    Why do I need to talk numbers when we both know the 5C sold more phones than BlackBerry ever sold since BB10`s inception. This "well numbers! and it`s a flop!" can stop because it`s not a good look.
    04-17-14 02:08 AM
    Could No New Touch screen device mean that they're going to improve the existing devices?

Z10
    04-17-14 09:04 AM
    I'm very interested to see how the next year goes for HTC and blackberry. I read an article where htc's strategy is to build the best smartphone on the market to build a loyal following. They face similar challenges to blackberry and know they don't have the capital to compete with apple and Sammy in device sales. What they are receiving is free advertising by tech sites claiming they are producing the best smartphones on the market. They are targeting the tech savvy consumer and selling devices at a premium price to make up for low sales numbers. It will be interesting if their philosophy pays off. What they do have is a focus that doesn't seem to change quarterly. I know Chen is new, and is probably trying to create a consistent business plan to ride out instead of changing directions over and over. I am not convinced keyboard device focus is the way to go, but will be interested to see where both companies end up with similar challenges.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 11:16 AM
290 ... 45678 ...