06-06-14 03:11 PM
290 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Not going to lie, I am disappointed to hear this as I was fully prepared to ditch my Z10 to upgrade to the next flagship full touch screen model that was rumoured for this year.

Looks like I will be waiting this one out a bit longer. In the tech world, a year is a long wait, that is for sure. All I can hope is that BlackBerry doesn't drag it's feet come 2015 when releasing a full touch screen device; by this, I mean I want to see a Q1 release of the next flagship touchscreen.

I have been a BlackBerry loyalist for many years, but if we are well into 2015/entering 2016 before the next touchscreen comes out, I may have to look into different brands if the Z10 isn't cutting it for me anymore.
    Why not get a Z30 if you're looking to upgrade?
    04-15-14 06:39 PM
    Why not get a Z30 if you're looking to upgrade?
    Quite simply due to overall costs within that short of a time span. I dropped a lot of money as an early adopter on the Z10 which I don't regret, but supposing I go out and buy a Z30 by the start of May, at around $600 unlocked and on no contract, then the new "Z50" comes out Q1 of 2015, that is too much in a short time period to spend on phones in my opinion (at least given my budget, etc.).

Supposing that Z50 is very price heavy, anywhere from $600 and up, that would be roughly $1200+ in the span of 8/9 months. Far too unrealistic for me. If the wait were about a year and a half, I would not be as hesitant. I cannot simply justify nearly 2 grand in the span of 2 years on phones, early adopter or not; "that's what you pay for technology" is true, but you dictate that on the frequency of your purchases.
    04-15-14 08:03 PM
    Not going to lie, I am disappointed to hear this as I was fully prepared to ditch my Z10 to upgrade to the next flagship full touch screen model that was rumoured for this year.

Looks like I will be waiting this one out a bit longer. In the tech world, a year is a long wait, that is for sure. All I can hope is that BlackBerry doesn't drag it's feet come 2015 when releasing a full touch screen device; by this, I mean I want to see a Q1 release of the next flagship touchscreen.

I have been a BlackBerry loyalist for many years, but if we are well into 2015/entering 2016 before the next touchscreen comes out, I may have to look into different brands if the Z10 isn't cutting it for me anymore.
    Why do you describe yourself as a loyalist when non-loyalist iPhone users were willing to wait 1.25 years for the iPhone 4s?
    04-15-14 08:40 PM
    lol...so is this not just a rumour and should be discussed as such? or maybe it is just another stimuli to start the BB bashing?
    smart548 and Nharzhool like this.
    04-15-14 09:00 PM
    This is great! My dad was wondering if he should wait but now for sure he should pull the trigger and get the Z30! We will be getting my mom the Q5 as well. Sweet times!
    04-15-14 09:06 PM
    Why do you describe yourself as a loyalist when non-loyalist iPhone users were willing to wait 1.25 years for the iPhone 4s?
    You are telling him what to do with his money?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Smitty13 likes this.
    04-15-14 09:09 PM
    lol...so is this not just a rumour and should be discussed as such? or maybe it is just another stimuli to start the BB bashing?
    What are you talking about?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    04-15-14 09:20 PM
    I describe myself as a loyalist because of a few important criteria: I have been with BlackBerry since 2005, owning a 8700 series phone, I own stock in the company, I am a constant supporter in day-to-day conversations of BlackBerry and their products, and always talk up their highlights of the new OS and phones.

I am one of those people who waited very patiently for the Z10 to be released as I was envious of the screen real estate that my iPhone and Android counterparts had versus my 9900 series and wanted to step up.

All throughout this rebrand and relaunch I have been a staunch supporter of BlackBerry and have never lost faith. It was my understanding that we had turned a corner and were looking into all touch devices as well, which I, as a BlackBerry loyalist, had been wanting for a long time.

While I understand there is a method to the turnaround madness, you quite simply cannot ignore your core, loyal customer base by not giving them at least something close to what they want. Yes, I love the physical keyboard as most other BlackBerry users do, but now that I have the Z10, I am not going back. The OS definitely picks up the slack for the communication end of things, which I easily outpace my iPhone and Android friends with now.

I would not even try to compare a loyal BlackBerry user to an Apple fan due to the fact, as we have all seen in various opinion polls, Apple fans have even admitted to blindly buying whatever Apple puts out. I am not that gullible nor am I that suggestible. I wait for quality that is for sure, but when I know production is being focused on products that are not in my area of likes, I feel I am being afforded/pushed into the chance to check out other brands (as much as I would hate to stray away from BlackBerry).

Merely because another brand of people wait 1.25 years for the same rehashed product, does not mean I have to. If they wish to justify $800-$1000 every year for a new phone, so be it, but I am not one of those people.

With Apple, you know what you are getting, with BlackBerry, there is a certain air of uncertainty of what is coming down the pipe next, but when there is a certainty what is coming down the pipe is not what you are looking for in a phone, then you have an obligation to yourself and your finances to seek out a phone you will be as close to 100% satisfied with as possible.

This is why I am a loyalist, but this is also why I choose to not wait again for an indefinite period of time for a device that may not come for well over a year, much as I did with the Z10.
    Last edited by Smitty13; 04-16-14 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
    04-16-14 12:00 AM
    Seeing as how BlackBerry is still working out the kinks with BB10 and BB10 is rapidly improving it simply does not make sense to release a top-of-the-line flagship phone until the OS is solid and ready to go. Look at any top Android phone over the years: the user experience is talked-up as much as the hardware. If BlackBerry were to release a top-of-the-line handset now they would just repeat themselves over the early days of the Z10.

Chen is also looking to market lower-end BlackBerry's to emerging markets and markets that are dominated by low-cost phones. Do you think Android got big because of some exclusive deal with the G1 and T-Mo U.S.A.? Nope. Android blew up because of the millions upon millions of cheap handsets that shipped with an Android OS. To this day you can still buy a brand-spanking new Android handset complete with a "new" install of Android 2.3.4. Guess where those Android handsets are being sold? Yup, in the exact same markets that BlackBerry is going to take their low-end phones. Heck, the mid to low-range markets might be BlackBerry's consumer's niche.

For what it is worth, BlackBerry do need to release at least one solid phone in time for the Holiday season. I do not know about the rest of the World but here in the U.S. if anything is going to sell it is going to sell between the day after Thanksgiving and New Years Day.
    04-16-14 12:10 AM
    This is why I am a loyalist, but this is also why I choose to not wait again for an indefinite period of time for a device that may not come for well over a year, much as I did with the Z10.
    Well said. I'm loyal to BlackBerry too, but since they are intentionally unclear about what products are coming I won't blindly wait for them to release another touch device. Who knows when they will actually release it, if ever. There is also the question of whether it will have the high end competitive specs that I want, or if they will once again try to convince me that it is good enough.

04-16-14 12:11 AM
    Let's just wait then. The company has not confirmed or denied anything about future high end touch devices.

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-16-14 12:41 AM
    You can`t get paid apps or games that are on Android, and you still have to sideload apps (whether through the browser or through your computer it`s still sideloading). Even then you can`t use apps that require Google Services.
    I think Snap can install apps from Google Play that are in your purchase history. Thereby allowing you to install paid apps. I think. Not positive though.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    04-16-14 01:35 AM
    This whole physical keyboard is going to fall flat on its face. The z10 sold a hell of a lot better than the q10. If they think it's why people are buying legacy devices, they are dead wrong. Emerging markets are buying legacy due to low data usage and some of the remaining enterprise customers are buying because they are on the previous bes servers. It has very little to do with keyboards tool belts etc for the majority of customers.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:57 AM
    Off my cuff (because if I think too hard, I won't say it), most recognize a BlackBerry if it has a keyboard (in my experience). I think BlackBerry could capitalize in America (where I live anyway) on those that mostly text. This would require a lower priced entry model, but I believe BlackBerry could take advantage of the fact that cheap sliders are fading out of circulation where there is still a demand.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 02:22 AM
    I think Snap can install apps from Google Play that are in your purchase history. Thereby allowing you to install paid apps. I think. Not positive though.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    You can definitely install paid apps. I installed Shiftsmart and that's a paid app.

04-16-14 02:53 AM
    The thing is, I'm not clear where N4BB's previous story came from. As far as I've understood, the next few phones from BB will "focus" on keyboards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're EXCLUSIVELY kb phones.

Has specific, definite word come out that there is no other touch device aside from the Z3?
    Yeah. N4BB has gotten things WAY wrong before.

Their very recent article that said that Apple's CarPlay "runs on QNX" was so misleading I would -- without hesitation -- classify it as false-reporting. Yes CarPlay can use QNX to display the CarPlay user interface (which is actually running on an iPhone 5 or 5S), but almost any car infotainment system can also do this, not just QNX. CarPlay isn't reliant on QNX, so to say CarPlay "runs on QNX" is an egregious misrepresentation.

N4BB never clarified or fixed this blatant twisting of facts.

So my respect and belief in what N4BB says goes with a huge giant grain of salt from now on.
    04-16-14 03:26 AM
    They're just going to lose more market. The Z30 isn't a revolutionary device for the average mainstream consumer. It's just one device to ignore and then that's all that is needed to forget about BB. If there were multiple devices to fight the war, it would at least look like an army and people would start wondering what all the fuss is about. At least they'll give a second look.
    And of course, consumers who want to have the latest device will start to ignore the Z30 by the second half of the year. It'll just be an old device that BlackBerry fans keep babbling about. It maybe a small margin of customers, but hey, even I was in that bandwagon when I bought the Z30.
    Let's put it this way, I know the Z30 is a lovely device, but if I hadn't bought it yet and was going to upgrade my phone later this year, I'm not so sure I would get Z30, rather something hot and fresh in the market.

Posted via CB10 on my lovely z30 B)
    04-16-14 03:29 AM
    Despite the fact that N4BB has proven itself to be an unreliable source of information, IF the claims made by them are true, then I will have to switch to another phone manufacturer.

I still have more than a year with my current contract, so I'll have time to see if N4BB was right, or if they just twisted the facts again.
    04-16-14 03:30 AM
    They're just going to lose more market. The Z30 isn't a revolutionary device for the average mainstream consumer. It's just one device to ignore and then that's all that is needed to forget about BB. If there were multiple devices to fight the war, it would at least look like an army and people would start wondering what all the fuss is about. At least they'll give a second look.
    And of course, consumers who want to have the latest device will start to ignore the Z30 by the second half of the year. It'll just be an old device that BlackBerry fans keep babbling about. It maybe a small margin of customers, but hey, even I was in that bandwagon when I bought the Z30.
    Let's put it this way, I know the Z30 is a lovely device, but if I hadn't bought it yet and was going to upgrade my phone later this year, I'm not so sure I would get Z30, rather something hot and fresh in the market.

OK. However, keep in mind that most reviewers of the iPhone 5S (with its 'amazing' 64-bit A7 processor) can't tell any difference in performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S (in ACTUAL real-world use).

Sure, the benchmarks will tell you that the 5S is twice as fast as the 5, but a human being cannot discern the difference between an app that loads in 2 ms (iPhone 5) to one that loads in 1 ms (iPhone 5S).

You need to wait two generations to see any noticeable difference in performance these days, since the rate of technological advancement in smart phones is starting to plateau.

By the time software comes out that can actually utilize the newest "hot and fresh" device, today's "hot and fresh" phones will already be out of date.
    04-16-14 03:36 AM
    OK. However, keep in mind that most reviewers of the iPhone 5S (with its 'amazing' 64-bit A7 processor) can't tell any difference in performance between the iPhone 5 and 5S (in ACTUAL real-world use).

Sure, the benchmarks will tell you that the 5S is twice as fast as the 5, but a human being cannot discern the difference between an app that loads in 2 ms (iPhone 5) to one that loads in 1 ms (iPhone 5S).

You need to wait two generations to see any noticeable difference in performance these days, since the rate of technological advancement in smart phones is starting to plateau.

By the time software comes out that can actually utilize the newest "hot and fresh" device, today's "hot and fresh" phones will already be out of date.
    I understand what you're trying to say but my question is isn't BlackBerry going to lose specifically these people, the ones who can't differentiate a superior device and who want to buy something that just popped into the market?

04-16-14 04:37 AM

So basically having the hot and fresh device with the hot processor is free marketing for them that sold phones even if there was no real world difference.

Only proves the point that you sell more phones by having high end specs because the phone sells it self. Much better than trying to convince everyone that in the real world your device with the low specs is good enough.

In the real world where the speed limit is 100 kph or 65 mph there is no difference between having a Honda Accord or a McLaren P1. But people still want the McLaren.

kbz1960 and Drew808 like this.
    04-16-14 06:36 AM
    A "certified flop" that sells more in a month than BB10 did in a year with all 4 models combined. BB would LOVE to have a flop like that!

Pot: meet kettle.
    In Apple standards, it is a flop. Even Ferrari can say Ford had some flops in the past even though Ferrari sells less vehicles. Apple had ordered massive amounts of 5Cs. Lots of stock. And even had to push the 5C through businesses at a bigger discount to make a sale. Somewhat Blackberryish IMO when a good portion of sales are actually business instead of consumers. At least in the USA.

Again, in Apple terms...the 5C is a flop. I don't know how you can flip this any other way. Fact is , I've seen more BB10's than 5C's, that's how pathetic the 5C is.
    04-16-14 07:12 AM
    In Apple standards, it is a flop. Even Ferrari can say Ford had some flops in the past even though Ferrari sells less vehicles. Apple had ordered massive amounts of 5Cs. Lots of stock. And even had to push the 5C through businesses at a bigger discount to make a sale. Somewhat Blackberryish IMO when a good portion of sales are actually business instead of consumers. At least in the USA.

Again, in Apple terms...the 5C is a flop. I don't know how you can flip this any other way. Fact is , I've seen more BB10's than 5C's, that's how pathetic the 5C is.
    You may not have seen it but believe me when I say the 5C sold 10x the amount of BB10 devices and then if you make it fair and say compare the sales of the Z10 to the 5C it looks worse.

04-16-14 07:17 AM
    And now car analogies have made it into the conversation. Knew it was going to happen eventually. >_>

04-16-14 07:18 AM
    And now car analogies have made it into the conversation. Knew it was going to happen eventually. >_>

If a Honda Accord and a McLaren are both being sold for the same price it is going to be pretty hard to convince people to buy the Honda even if the Honda is just as good in "real world" scenarios.

It's just a fact.

kbz1960 likes this.
    04-16-14 08:04 AM
290 ... 34567 ...