06-06-14 02:11 PM
290 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The only thing surprising with this article is that any more touchscreen devices are coming at all given the abject failure of the BB touchscreens to date. It seems pretty clear that this is a part of the market that BB cannot effectively compete in against new flagship devices coming from the big players.

I actually support this move because it allows BB to focus on a portion (sliver) of the market is actually knows and does well. Rather than introducing yet another device to the market and generating yawns or outright indifference, BBRY is well advised to actually launch new QWERTY devices that have a fighting chance.
    The Z30 is a device that can compete. It is just not being marketed.
    04-15-14 09:22 AM
    It is priced at $500 unlocked. You can get a SGS4 unlocked for less. The HTC One M7 is the same price. You can get a iPhone 5 or 5C for $50 more.

The Moto X and the Z10 are very similar in specs - the Moto X cost $150 less than the Z30.
    BlackBerry is trying to gain mindshare and produced a very good phone - and then they price it high. Motorola did the same thing with the Moto X last year - and then had to lower the prices to move phones.

I like where BlackBerry is going with the Z3 and Q20 - they are getting back to their roots with a QWERTY flagship in the Q20 (similar to the Bolds) and back to their consumer roots by producing a low cost solid performing consumer device in the Z3 ((hopefully regaining the magic of the Pearl and Curve). I do wish that the Z3 had a 720p screen though.
    Dirtymike14 likes this.
    04-15-14 09:58 AM
    Unfortunately, no amount of marketing can correct the apps deficit that the Z30 faces which is what a touchscreen side-by-side comparison forces the Z30 into. Having used the iPhone 5S for 7 months now, I can say that this is not a small problem. Physical keyboard devices at least have that one distinction to make up for the app deficit.
    04-15-14 11:54 AM
    It is priced at $500 unlocked. You can get a SGS4 unlocked for less. The HTC One M7 is the same price. You can get a iPhone 5 or 5C for $50 more.

The Moto X and the Z10 are very similar in specs - the Moto X cost $150 less than the Z30.
    BlackBerry is trying to gain mindshare and produced a very good phone - and then they price it high. Motorola did the same thing with the Moto X last year - and then had to lower the prices to move phones.

I like where BlackBerry is going with the Z3 and Q20 - they are getting back to their roots with a QWERTY flagship in the Q20 (similar to the Bolds) and back to their consumer roots by producing a low cost solid performing consumer device in the Z3 ((hopefully regaining the magic of the Pearl and Curve). I do wish that the Z3 had a 720p screen though.
    Specs are specs. I decide on device how it performs. How is the battery life on all those devices? I will bet not as good as the Z30. Who cares how much specs a device has when it needs to be near a plug all the time.
    04-15-14 11:57 AM
    Unfortunately, no amount of marketing can correct the apps deficit that the Z30 faces which is what a touchscreen side-by-side comparison forces the Z30 into. Having used the iPhone 5S for 7 months now, I can say that this is not a small problem. Physical keyboard devices at least have that one distinction to make up for the app deficit.
    What app deficit? With loading Android apps, it is much less that you make it out.
    04-15-14 11:58 AM
    Specs are specs. I decide on device how it performs. How is the battery life on all those devices? I will bet not as good as the Z30. Who cares how much specs a device has when it needs to be near a plug all the time.
    So besides battery life, how does your Z30 perform in relation to other devices you have used? Before I got my iPhone 5S, I was always under the impression that my BB devices were the best around. I no longer feel that way even though I still carry my Q10 with me.
    04-15-14 12:00 PM
    So besides battery life, how does your Z30 perform in relation to other devices you have used? Before I got my iPhone 5S, I was always under the impression that my BB devices were the best around. I no longer feel that way even though I still carry my Q10 with me.
    The Z30 is the best smartphone I have ever used. I keep trying everyone I get my hands on and this is the best yet.
    A co-worker got caught out in the back country with someone else. They had an emergency. It was so cold, his 5S refused to work, they were saved by the guy carrying the Z10. So if your smartphone doesn't work in an emergency, it is not of any use.
    04-15-14 12:13 PM

As of your posting the sgs4 has been replaced by the sgs5. Same for the HTC one as its been replaced by the M8. The iphone 5 is discontinued in favor of the 5S and the 5C is a certified flop WITH SMALLER SCREENS. Point is you are comparing a current flagship and it's price with competitor's products that have been replaced by newer models. As for the moto x your talking about a phone that can be made and sold for cheaper because it is made by Google to collect data. They can afford to drop the price. And with economies of scale it's probably cheaper to produce. When an update to the z30 comes around then we can make the argument for lower pricing.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:19 PM
    A Moto X has excellent battery life. I own one.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    04-15-14 12:40 PM
    What app deficit? With loading Android apps, it is much less that you make it out.
    You can`t get paid apps or games that are on Android, and you still have to sideload apps (whether through the browser or through your computer it`s still sideloading). Even then you can`t use apps that require Google Services.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    04-15-14 12:42 PM
    The Z30 is the best smartphone I have ever used. I keep trying everyone I get my hands on and this is the best yet.
    A co-worker got caught out in the back country with someone else. They had an emergency. It was so cold, his 5S refused to work, they were saved by the guy carrying the Z10. So if your smartphone doesn't work in an emergency, it is not of any use.
    Low temperatures affects a lot of smartphones, heck a lot of electronics period don`t work in lower temperatures. That`s not something to really brag about. Your phone just happened to not mess up too.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    04-15-14 12:44 PM
    As of your posting the sgs4 has been replaced by the sgs5. Same for the HTC one as its been replaced by the M8. The iphone 5 is discontinued in favor of the 5S and the 5C is a certified flop WITH SMALLER SCREENS. Point is you are comparing a current flagship and it's price with competitor's products that have been replaced by newer models. As for the moto x your talking about a phone that can be made and sold for cheaper because it is made by Google to collect data. They can afford to drop the price. And with economies of scale it's probably cheaper to produce. When an update to the z30 comes around then we can make the argument for lower pricing.

Posted via CB10
    1.) Moto X was not made by Google.

2.) The Moto X, just like any android phone uses Google Services, it`s not extra susceptible to Google.

3.) Don`t read into the media, the 5C was one of the best selling phones outside of the 5S and S4 all on U.S. carriers and the world over. It just didn`t meet analysts high expectations.

4.)We should be making an argument for lower pricing now, Moto X is not subsidized at all. Motorola decided to take a lower margins on it. The Z30 has been out since like, November yet it still costs $500+ a lot of places.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    04-15-14 12:47 PM
    A Moto X has excellent battery life. I own one.
    I did too. Mine didn't get excellent battery life.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:50 PM
    I did too. Mine didn't get excellent battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Shame. If you would reference the sister site AndroidCentral there are dozens if not hundreds of people who do get good battery life. Are you a heavy user? I know there was one person who had Moto X and did not get good battery life because they were on it for 3-4 hours straight but, would not give it up because they loved the phone.
    04-15-14 12:57 PM
    What app deficit? So you mean the sideloading of Android apps that is now less cumbersome on the Z30 is something consumers need to put up with just to have apps on a Z30?
    04-15-14 01:17 PM
    It is true the Z30 has excellent battery life and that is one of its strengths.

BlackBerry Z30 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

The key is use - the Z30 is excellent for people that make phone calls and watch video.

However, most flagship phones have batteries that last for 24 hours with moderate use. If a person is a heavy user but doesn't want big - then they buy a phone with a swappable battery (like a Z10 or SGS) or they buy a battery case.

I have a Moto X and it has just average battery life but it easily gets me through the day - I normally am at around 40% around bedtime after a full day (from 7:30 am to 11:30 pm) and I am a moderate user.

I definitely want better battery life - my old Curve had incredible battery life - I charged it once every 5 days or so.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-15-14 01:54 PM
    I'm guessing many of us have already read this article from N4BB that says there will be no new high end touch device released in 2014 by BlackBerry.

For those that haven't:
    Chen: There Will Be Touchscreen BlackBerry Devices Going Forward - N4BB

I find this very disappointing. I'm glad that the Z3 won't be the last ever touch screen, but I think it's a big mistake not to release a flagship touch in 2014.

Waiting to 2015 or even 2016, as the article suggests is too long for me.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    My Z10 will likely be my last BlackBerry device EVER. I am waiting for the Samsung Note 4 which will be out later this year, at which I will be going down that path and will also be switching to WindMobile's $60 North American plan (Unlimited voice, data, txt'n, roaming in Canada and the USA).
    NYC10065 and mf1982 like this.
    04-15-14 03:03 PM
    Eh, I'm not very bothered by it, the Z30 is going to tide me over for quite awhile. I do hope that they can succeed in moving the majority of legacy users onto BB10 with the release of the Q20 though. Chen is playing BBRY's strong suits and I don't blame him.
    04-15-14 03:25 PM
    What app deficit? So you mean the sideloading of Android apps that is now less cumbersome on the Z30 is something consumers need to put up with just to have apps on a Z30?
    That ship has sailed. It wasn't easy to install Android apps when the public made up their minds about BB10 phones.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    04-15-14 03:45 PM
    I want a new touchscreen, latest in the beginning of 2015!!!
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    04-15-14 03:49 PM
    this is a big mistake, they should just do a Z30 sequel like HTC One MT8 barely any R&D involved with that :P

Upgrades:
    3GB of ram would kill the current competition right now
    3000MAH battery
    1080P screen only if it doesn't kill battery
    new casing

that's all they need to do :P
    04-15-14 04:13 PM
    5C is a certified flop
    A "certified flop" that sells more in a month than BB10 did in a year with all 4 models combined. BB would LOVE to have a flop like that!

Pot: meet kettle.
    NYC10065 and Drew808 like this.
    04-15-14 04:28 PM
    A "certified flop" that sells more in a month than BB10 did in a year with all 4 models combined. BB would LOVE to have a flop like that!

Pot: meet kettle.
    Exactly. A "flop" by Apple standards would be a record year for Blackberry. And given Apple's profit margin on each and every device sold, you have to wonder when the 5C is considered a "flop".
    04-15-14 04:53 PM
    Yup. Have to agree there. The ability to install Android apps makes BB10 bearable in the short term. It isn't a solution for the majority of users. Installing Snap is cumbersome and not something that the average BlackBerry user will do.

Many of the Android apps don't work properly, and some don't work at all.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    04-15-14 05:01 PM
    Not going to lie, I am disappointed to hear this as I was fully prepared to ditch my Z10 to upgrade to the next flagship full touch screen model that was rumoured for this year.

Looks like I will be waiting this one out a bit longer. In the tech world, a year is a long wait, that is for sure. All I can hope is that BlackBerry doesn't drag it's feet come 2015 when releasing a full touch screen device; by this, I mean I want to see a Q1 release of the next flagship touchscreen.

I have been a BlackBerry loyalist for many years, but if we are well into 2015/entering 2016 before the next touchscreen comes out, I may have to look into different brands if the Z10 isn't cutting it for me anymore.
    04-15-14 05:07 PM
290 ... 23456 ...