06-06-14 03:11 PM
290 12345 ...
tools
    You have to spend money to make money. It certainly does not just happen. Put in a half baked effort and your sales will reflect that as we know all too well. The Z30 is a half baked flagship and until they have a great device available to everyone in major markets, they will not have a proper flagship. There are two sides to the coin and although qwerty phones are important, we can't forget that the full touch screen is what is selling most globally.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:14 AM
    If true this does not surprise me. BlackBerry is NOT a Samsung -- who can put out multiple devices in a year and not break a sweat. Not to mention that ever dwindling cash pile BlackBerry has is now getting to a level where there are only so many chances they can take. So making the classic qwerty with BB10 is really their safest strategy. They know there will be sales in markets that are not so price sensitive. A chance to generate some positive cash flow.

But the Q20 really better knock the socks off the diehard qwerty fans. If they cut any corners ... well...
    Bishkin, RH1Pearl and BlackQtCoder like this.
    04-15-14 12:25 AM
    Convincing people that the Z10 and Z30 are good enough is never going to be the key to succeed on a large scale. Coming out with a device that generates its own positive feedback and publicity will.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    My Z10 should easily last me another 3 years. I cannot see what a better spec phone or larger screen can do me any good. But a keyboard with belt, now that is something else altogether.
    04-15-14 12:37 AM
    Another nail in the coffin....when are BB going to get through their thick heads the UBER device of 2014 with mark up to shame Apple and Samsung pricing and BIS incoming subscriptions to pro/consumers WILL put them back on top, its not blooming ROCKET science...

This company has me aghast for SO long not to recognise their strengths and weaknesses

:rollseyes:

At least one thing is going UP - Chens airmiles travelling 1st on BB expenses account around the world, great retirement gift to himself.
    04-15-14 01:24 AM
    One good thing about the future.... it only comes one day at a time.
    If we were to believe every article about what's in store for BlackBerry... We'd all be back to using pagers!

But, I'm prepared... just in case. I keep an old touch tone phone with me at all times and when needed I just hot wire it into someones phone line.
    I keep a roll of quarters with me too.

Come to think of it......When's the last time you remember seeing a pay phone or using one?
    04-15-14 01:29 AM
    He meant they were readying their nifty flux capacitor instead of working on a touchscreen.

What everyone fails to mention is that with the flux capacitor, we can all have a Z75 or a Q60 2 years ago!
    Haha. That's good. Made me laugh.

04-15-14 01:36 AM
    Elite1, what is a flux capacitor and what does it do?
    I'm speechless.

With a question like that I'd watch out. Doc Brown might just pay you a visit!

fragment137 likes this.
    04-15-14 01:43 AM
    Sadly I've never fully seen the back to the future flicks

Posted via CB10
    I intended to kidnap you, take you back to 1776, and then challenge you to a duel, Sir.

Never seen Back to the Future. That's a travesty.

fragment137 and mrfreeze like this.
    04-15-14 01:46 AM
    What if he's just good at keeping it silent?
    04-15-14 01:54 AM
    What if he's just good at keeping it silent?
    The article implies that Chen has directly said that there won't be another touch this year. There no quote but the implication is there.

04-15-14 02:05 AM
    If the Z30 didn't and doesn't sell well, then neither will any other touch flagship BB phone. I think going for the low/middle cost market is the right thing to do and should have been the initial strategy for the BB10 launch.
    04-15-14 05:07 AM
    Given the dismal sale of both Z10 & Z30, the touch screen devices will have to take a back seat for now. I'm sure BlackBerry has a road map of possible devices to be push out in the market or scrapped for that matter. A positive response to the Z3 could help push for earlier release of touch screen as well. I doubt it will happen this year. The consumer's market is just not there for BlackBerry to continuously push out devices at this point.
    fragment137 likes this.
    04-15-14 06:35 AM
    OP, please edit your post and correct your grammar to say what you mean to say.
    04-15-14 06:54 AM
    Going back in time us not so bad, look at parachute pants, pogo balls, 750ml glass bottles of pop and mullets.
    So let's try going only keyboard.....
    Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:01 AM
    You have to spend money to make money. It certainly does not just happen. Put in a half baked effort and your sales will reflect that as we know all too well. The Z30 is a half baked flagship and until they have a great device available to everyone in major markets, they will not have a proper flagship. There are two sides to the coin and although qwerty phones are important, we can't forget that the full touch screen is what is selling most globally.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand how the Z30 is a half baked device. If anything, it's a very smart device from it's hardware layout.
    04-15-14 07:39 AM
    Releasing a high end phone on a saturated market would be an example of mismanagement of the worst form. Samsung and Apple are both declining in sales and diversifying with new product roads. The low and middle price points are the only growth areas in smartphones now.

As someone mentioned BlackBerry needs penetration with the Z3 and they need a hook to bring in the buyers. A feature that is a must have for users and brings them into the ecosystem of the future once BlackBerry recreates it.

Mobile computing may be the next growth buzz category such as your phone is able to replace a traditional PC completely in some form either with a docking station or a projected screen with gesture based activation. The OS is 50% of the way there already. BlackBerry has to clear out the negative perception with solid movement and clear logical moves toward its niche. Once the public forgets the Zombie press attacks they will come back if BlackBerry and John Chen continue to be smart and listen to the market.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    southlander likes this.
    04-15-14 08:08 AM
    The company has time to build a portfolio worthy of BlackBerry, and at its roots that starts with physical keyboards. The Z30 is a wonderful device and I've not once had a problem and thought "If only I had an Android". Ironically? The only thing they could improve is the Runtime, which is software anyway.

There's a lot of people in this article acting like this is the end of the world. Seriously? To those people I say -- Buck up. Stop whining about every little piece of negative news that comes out about BlackBerry. What a disappointing way to live every day. I'd love to see BBRY bring out a killer touch-screen device this year, but I'm more concerned that it just snowed in the middle of April than whether or not they are going to release another all-touch device in 2014.
    04-15-14 08:15 AM
    Given the dismal sale of both Z10 & Z30, the touch screen devices will have to take a back seat for now. I'm sure BlackBerry has a road map of possible devices to be push out in the market or scrapped for that matter. A positive response to the Z3 could help push for earlier release of touch screen as well. I doubt it will happen this year. The consumer's market is just not there for BlackBerry to continuously push out devices at this point.
    I'm thinking the Q5 and Q10 haven't done any better.....

Ten years ago a BlackBerry was a very unique device that could do things no other device could do nearly as well. Price didn't really matter, Form Factor didn't really matter, heck even marketing didn't matter... It wasn't the level of security that was achievable on a BlackBerry that pushed sales. It was the PUSH email when no other device had it, and the much longer battery life that BlackBerry's had at that time.

Today the market is MUCH different - the DEVICE is only a small part of the overall puzzle that is the smartphone market.
    04-15-14 08:19 AM
    "Because N4BB said so.."
    Why do we have to trust them? Still hoping that something will come out around December 2014...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 09:17 AM
    I have a Z30, and for the first time since I owned the Storm 1 and heard about the S2 I am completely satisfied with the device I have. It does everything I need it to do (and well) and more. The one thing I really don't like about BB is You wait and wait for that next level device (for me Storm, then Torch, then Z10) and after all the waiting you finnally get it and BAM a few short months later it is outdated.
    04-15-14 09:25 AM
    OP, please edit your post and correct your grammar to say what you mean to say.
    No idea what you're talking about. If you know what I meant to say then there is no need to change anything.

Thanks for your contribution to this topic.

04-15-14 09:40 AM
    I think we will see the Z50 high end spec phone that Chen talked about, will be released in 2015. They were aiming for Q3 of 2014 but that ain't going to happen. The Z50 is coming, they just don't want to promise something and then not deliver. I'm content with my Z10 for now, its awesome, fast and smooth. I can wait until the Z50 comes out and when my contract expires I will upgrade to the beast.
    04-15-14 09:58 AM
    The only thing surprising with this article is that any more touchscreen devices are coming at all given the abject failure of the BB touchscreens to date. It seems pretty clear that this is a part of the market that BB cannot effectively compete in against new flagship devices coming from the big players.

I actually support this move because it allows BB to focus on a portion (sliver) of the market it actually knows and does well. Rather than introducing yet another device to the market and generating yawns or outright indifference, BBRY is well advised to actually launch new QWERTY devices that have a fighting chance.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 04-15-14 at 12:50 PM.
    04-15-14 10:01 AM
    Is a high-end consumer device really what BlackBerry should be focusing on? Honestly the Z30 works great for now, even though it wasn't highly marketed and available in all markets. I know, I know the screen and other features are lacking, but it really runs BB10 great and that will suffice for now. Heck most people are on 2 year contracts anyways...

BlackBerry is not Samsung, it is not HTC and it's not even Apple. They can't just release 1 high-end touchscreen every year and be fine. They also can't make 1 of every type of phone and be fine. They are testing the waters to see what is going to work best and they ultimately need to keep their legacy and enterprise users happy first. Would I personally rather see a high-end device? Yes. Do I think it would be the best business decision at this point? No.

Remember BlackBerry does not only make handsets and they are also needing to cut staff and resources heavily. They need to be profitable if we want to even continue to see them making handsets.

BlackBerry 10 device history:

Z10 4.2" touchscreen - Considered mid-grade in its class - Started releasing January 2013
    Q10 3.1" fixed keyboard - Considered high-end in its class - Started releasing June 2013
    Q5 3.1" fixed keyboard - Considered low-end in its class - Started releasing July 2013
    Z30 5" touchscreen - Considered high-end in its class - Started releasing October 2013

Then there was management shifts and business changes...

Z3 - 5" touchscreen - Considered low-end in its class - Releasing April 2014
    Q20 (Classic) ?? - ?? - Q1 2015

That's a big change from 2013 to 2014 in phone releases. Are there more devices being released? Probably.. But it is my understanding that many have been scrapped. Chen is trying to stop the bleeding and rebuild the mobile device portion of the company. They need to act like a start-up company making devices and not act like Samsung releasing 5 devices a year. I think by 2015 the OS will be much better and then by 2016 they can start to rebuild the device life-cycle and it will probably be a 2 year cycle. Which would give them more time to please all users.

Here is an example of what I believe the ultimate goal could look like (keep in mind the devices could be mixed around):

Year 1 (possibly 2016):
    4.2" all touch mid-grade (foxconn)
    3.1" fixed keyboard high-end
    5" all touch high-end
    3.1" fixed keyboard low-end (foxconn)

Year 2:
    5" all touch low-end (foxconn)
    larger screen classic device fixed keyboard
    specialty device (like a slider or mini)
    tablet (maybe in varying sizes) (foxconn?)

More than likely I am wrong but that's my $.02
    04-15-14 10:14 AM
    It is good news actually, they need to continue with the inventory clean and try to penetrate the market with the Z3
    04-15-14 10:16 AM
290 12345 ...