06-06-14 02:11 PM
290 1234 ...
tools
    Release the Z30 to all carriers with 10.3 OS at a hot price in 2014. Create some excitement with some advertising.
    04-14-14 05:39 PM
    The thing is, I'm not clear where N4BB's previous story came from. As far as I've understood, the next few phones from BB will "focus" on keyboards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're EXCLUSIVELY kb phones.

Has specific, definite word come out that there is no other touch device aside from the Z3?
    Exactly!

I don't see anywhere in the linked article, nor the previous article the reference, that there will be no higher-end touchscreen introduced in 2014.

The previous article seems to head in that direction because of rumoured word that the rumoured Ontario was rumoured to be cancelled.
    It's also rumoured the Ontario was cancelled because they were accelerating release of their octacore spec monster which was previously planned for 2015.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-14-14 05:42 PM
    Isn't Christmas shopping season in 2014? Otherwise it would be boxing week and/or New Year's shopping season.
    He meant they were readying their nifty flux capacitor instead of working on a touchscreen.

What everyone fails to mention is that with the flux capacitor, we can all have a Z75 or a Q60 2 years ago!
    04-14-14 05:45 PM
    As I am now in the all-touch camp, I'd like to see an all-touch flagship about once a year. I am not one to immediately upgrade when the next flagship comes out, so if they skip a year (or however long) I could end up looking for a new phone right when the last one was a year ago and the new one is a year away.

In other words, not periodically releasing a flagship of each type would be stupid.
    04-14-14 06:04 PM
    What is the Z30 standing on top of?

The only thing that the Z30 is at the top of is a stack of other unsold Z30s in a warehouse or stock room. I'm fact it is mostly a subset of BB10 users that bought the Z30.

The Z50 or whatever they might call it, if it is actually a high spec device would serve to bring back some of the people that have abandoned the BlackBerry platform for GS series phones and iOS phones.
    Top of all the BB10 devices.

If the subset of users already bought the Z30 and there's more in the warehouses, drop the price, optimize the design in the next batch to reduce costs and keep selling it.

A high spec Z50 won't cause a bunch of non-BlackBerry users to adopt BB10. Nokia put some pretty nice high-end devices out there and it's their low-end devices that gained Windows Mobile marketshare.

Until BlackBerry decides to re-enter the consumer market and is willing to advertize, there's no point in releasing a Z50. There needs to be a compeling feature, like mobile desktop, for Enterprise to spend the extra dollars on a high-end device, where currently they're just looking for secure email and browsing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-14-14 06:09 PM
    He meant they were readying their nifty flux capacitor instead of working on a touchscreen.

What everyone fails to mention is that with the flux capacitor, we can all have a Z75 or a Q60 2 years ago!
    I hope a new flagship is coming this year. If rumours are true and it is not, I will be tempted to grab the S5 until a new Blackberry flagship comes out. I hope it's in 2014. I was pretty happy that the Z10 came out in Feb and the Z30 around 9 months later. I wish all flagships came out at that rate .

Elite1, what is a flux capacitor and what does it do?
    04-14-14 06:53 PM
    This is what might happen. By the time they get back to considering to build a new all touch device, the market will be cornered with the iPhone 6 and it will be too late. They might just decide it's not worth it. And if they do move forward and release it then, it will probably do worse in sales than the z10 and z30.

Z10
    04-14-14 07:15 PM
    "If people wanted a touchscreen BlackBerry 10 device..."
    If people wanted a qwerty BlackBerry 10 device, maybe 50%-40%-30% or
    at least 20% of the BlackBerry users owning a legacy device should have
    either a Q10 or Q5 device.
    However that did not happen...yet. First excuse was price, which surprise me
    specially from users in North America. I live in Ecuador (South America) and
    the price (at release time) to get a Q10 was USD 460 + tax (same as to get iPhone or SG4), that
    price however was on a USD 112 (2-year plan). A BB 10 phone (Q10 or Z10) unlocked without a plan can cost USD 1200.
    Yet people in North America complains about
    paying USD 200 on a 2-year plan that hardly cost USD 30- USD 40!
    Price dropped, Sprint is now offering a Q10 at USD 0 on a 2-year plan that cost USD 25.
    Second excuse, this is a new one and really funny one, Q5 and Q10 lack tool belt.
    I wonder how come millions of "hard die" BB users, many of then business people, moved to
    iPhone or Samsung devices. Those devices are not cheap, nor they have a qwerty keyboard
    or tool belts!!!
    I hardly doubt that Q20 will capture 50% or more of people using legacy devices...they will find
    yet another excuse.
    Last edited by eduzojordan; 04-14-14 at 10:35 PM.
    felixweber likes this.
    04-14-14 07:45 PM

Elite1, what is a flux capacitor and what does it do?
    I don't know what to say to this!!!

Seriously, watch Back to the Future. Maybe in Back to the Future II we actually caught a glimpse of the new BB touch device (as it is set in 2015) without knowing it before.

Not sure how BB is going to produce a battery that produces 1.21 gigawatts (pronounced one point twenty one jigawatts) by next year, but that'll be one heck of an accomplishment.
    WWBlondieDo, kbz1960 and PFman like this.
    04-14-14 07:52 PM
    I hardly doubt that Q20 is gonna get 50% or more of those people using legacy devices.
    I hope I wrong.
    Unfortunately my betting would be that the tool belt is a misguided attempt at recovering some marketshare. Other than selecting text (which I can now do fine in BB10), I'm not sure how it'll help all that much? By adding a "Home Button"? It takes all of half a second to get to the home screen, push the phone icon and start a call. It takes another half second to get to the phone screen again to end the call. I'm sure they could program the OS to use the power button to end call, so I fail to see how the tool belt will help in any way.
    mjdimer likes this.
    04-14-14 07:56 PM
    we want new touchscreens but he didnt say we wont be getting an OS upgrade. thats like getting a new phone all in itself. i hope its a very big upgrade with no new phone on the horizon we need something new to hang our hat on. its okay they are focusing on keyboards. lets just hope when they do bring out another touchscreen it makes sense and its a real change over what we have now. The z30 is actually an awesome phone. i can see if they would have made it come out at a better time where it could have been a success what really put the brakes on it is the fact they brought it out when they said they were putting the company up for sale. not exactly a great selling feature. poor timing. With new 10.3 software it could make it a very nice phone package. Panorama photos and some other cool adds to the software. The days of hardware improvements meaning alot are really over. Even the latest galaxy was a bit of a disappointment it really doesnt offer up much of anything over a z30. And no fingerprint sensors are not a big selling feature. personally i think thats the biggest waste of time there is. maybe facial recognition or eye scan makes more sense then finger print sensor. That was a whole lot of fuss over nothing.
    04-14-14 08:00 PM
    Since the Z30 USB port is bidirectional (you can plug in a mouse and/or keyboard), is there a way to make the HDMI port bidirectional also (use the phone screen as a monitor)? I would love to see BlackBerry make a the next high end device that could act as a KVM for servers and pc. I think it is possible, and would be a big draw for every tech. Also with growing trend of BYOD at companies we need to cater to the "prosumer."

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 08:26 PM
    yeah, not sure I put much weight in what the folks on that website speculate.
    04-14-14 08:40 PM
    I don't know what to say to this!!!

Seriously, watch Back to the Future. Maybe in Back to the Future II we actually caught a glimpse of the new BB touch device (as it is set in 2015) without knowing it before.

Not sure how BB is going to produce a battery that produces 1.21 gigawatts (pronounced one point twenty one jigawatts) by next year, but that'll be one heck of an accomplishment.
    Sadly I've never fully seen the back to the future flicks

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 09:09 PM
    Seeing that we're already in the midst of spring 2014, 2015 won't be that far off. Besides I don't think Blackberry is in any position to release multiple handsets in any given year.
    04-14-14 09:10 PM
    I wouldn't mind Verizon letting me upgrade to the Z30 for a reasonable price...the z10 battery life for me is awful.
    04-14-14 09:12 PM
    I have a friend who worked at BB on a co-op work term, and has openly told me and a few other friends to refrain from getting the Z30, because a kick-*** touchscreen phone is on its way. I trust my friend and everything, but hearing things like this has to make you wonder whether or not the phone he was talking about got scrapped...
    A friend of a friend also works there. Full time. Prior to the Z30, he told me that they were working on an amazing phone. He mentioned this late last year. Well, either it was the Z30, or the "amazing phone" hasn't materialized yet.

Often a company will have different departments working on different phones, different things. Things get tested and may get scrapped all the way up until mass production. Yes, they might make an initial production run and then even scrap that if the CEO says so.
    04-14-14 09:17 PM
    Let's face it Chen is fixated on physical keyboards and enterprise, he's trying to turn the clock back to 2005 and pretend nothings changed.
    Rather embarrassing really.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm very worried for the BlackBerry 'Classic' . I really hope it doesn't end up with that name. Who in earth would come up with the name 'Classic' for a new phone by a company people regard as old fashioned ?

It's also quite mad not to have a high end touch out for Christmas. Mind you, if it was only going to be a overpriced device a step and a half behind the competition it's best we don't see it.

Join the Cause @ BlackBerry Bootleg Marketing Channel - C003483F4
    alternator77 likes this.
    04-14-14 09:32 PM
    Authors Opinion. Full Touch is coming to win new customers.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 10:13 PM
    Convincing people that the Z10 and Z30 are good enough is never going to be the key to succeed on a large scale. Coming out with a device that generates its own positive feedback and publicity will.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Coming out with new devices while the public is not interested is also not the way to succeed. Chen is on the right path by fixing the name brand through enterprise endeavors. When BBRY stops bleeding money the haters will have nothing to hate on in their blogs. Only when the brand is not poison will a high end device have a chance with the fickle public.

Read Jubei's editorial posted today to get a better version of what I'm trying to say. "The biggest problem BlackBerry faces right now is that no one cares. There’s just no compelling reason for people to buy into what BlackBerry is selling. Security? Eh. Productivity? Meh. Efficiency? Yawn. For BlackBerry enthusiasts, ignoring these things are blaspheme, but for everyone else it’s just another Monday."
    04-14-14 10:20 PM
    Not a fan of creating traffic for a competing site.

Anyhoo, BlackBerry is not releasing a high end touchscreen in 2014 because that's the way it should be. To create a "Z50" at this point in their road to recovery would be foolish. It would take hundreds of millions of dollars to make it a success.
    04-14-14 10:46 PM
    Why not let the Z30 stand at the top and be reasonably priced than a high-priced Z50 that would only sell to a subset of BB10 owners?
    Because when it's time for z10 owners to update we don't want technology that is two years old. We want new.
    1magine, kbz1960 and lnichols like this.
    04-14-14 10:53 PM
    Blackberry is too slow making phones. I'm tired of waiting. If they don't release a Z50 by september I won't come back not even consider the future devices.

It,s not so difficult keep your users happy ,both of them not only keyboard aficionados.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    04-14-14 11:00 PM
    It,s not so difficult keep your users happy ,both of them not only keyboard aficionados.
    See my post above. Hundreds of millions of dollars.
    04-14-14 11:01 PM
    Isn't Christmas shopping season in 2014? Otherwise it would be boxing week and/or New Year's shopping season.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    The holiday depends on your locale I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 11:13 PM
290 1234 ...