06-06-14 02:11 PM
290 ... 89101112
tools
    Thread title should be updated to False!

Check Out TechCraze
    Is that a link to a BBM channel?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-13-14 11:33 AM
    lol.

On a five inch phone, its slightly noticable yes. In a minor way. But that extra resolutions costs both battery life (to a large degree) and system speed (to a large degree).

The slight increase it sharpness is offset my a major loss of both speed and battery life.

With multiple cores the story is even more of a jib. The average consumer just knows that these are numbers that people want, and they are higher. They don't really know what impact they have on the experience of using the device.

I would go for 50% under retina display every time offered the choice, until the battery tech advances in a major way, and the cpu speed and ram skips ahead. Thats me, id rather have a faster device that lasts longer, than a minor increase in pixel sharpness.

I cannot even comprehend why tablets and phones are using class 4 type nand flash for storage instead of ssd or enhanced speed nand flash - and no one even mentions read or write speeds EVER, on any of these devices. Thats insane!

.....At least windows 8 tablet users are smart enough to pay attention to the right things. They don't buy anything octacore - they know its total waste of time - in fact manufactures are pushing that because despite being useless it avoids them dealing with heat sink issues by using actually more powerful chips, rather than just more of them.

For a windows tablet user, dual core is fine, quad is too.

They have ssd, or enhanced speed nand flash with good amounts of storage space (at least twice the speed of class 10, uhs-1 micro sd, and that is much faster than your average smart phone internal storage on its own. But usually this is ssd, and its more than four times the speed of uhs-1, which is a still much faster than most smart phone internal storage).

They have highspeed ram (ddr3 or higher, dual channel or better, high mhz speed), at least 2gb (2-4 usually, but windows is ram hungry). They look for good higher resolutions that don't compromise battery life or system performance, and a battery with decent mah. Retina might be great in principle, till your device starts to lag. Your resolution needs to match the rest of your hardware spec. And because smart phones are not that fast yet, and still have horrible battery lives, it probably shouldn't be something everyone maxes out just yet.

They understand more about what the numbers mean, the system architecture, the windows tablet users.

Compare the listed specs of a windows tablet, with a chinese android smart phone - the former lists and prioritizes all the right things in the design, the later is all backwards, because the users are on average, are just not particularly tech smart.

The average smart phone user wants a device that just isn't as good as it could be, in reality, if it was designed not to wow the ignorant with numbers, but actually work really well, to really fly.

For example, most smart phone users want good multi-tasking, smooth performance, fluid interface - that doesn't come from more cores or even particularly cpu speed. Your smart phone isn't doing intensive math anyway outside of games. Its impeded by very high resolutions - double the resolution, and your not doubling your veiwing experience, but you are basically halving the battery life and the speed of the system. Good fluid multi-tasking comes primarily from a good easy flow from storage to ram and the graphics card.

If you have a good fast ram system, and good fast storage, a decent enough graphics card (with some of its own fast ram) - with whatever the threshold for the OS is in terms of operating ram (usually I think probably 1.5-2 gbs for a lot of smart phones depending again on resolution) - multitasking and fluidity will be all there - and it will load programs quickly, install quickly , browse quickly, boot quickly.

Smart phone users are looking at the wrong specs.

And I don't think blackberry has to compete on largely poorly conceived specs either - because "mid" tablets and phablets are going to kill large screen smart phones anyway. They have bigger numbers, lol (and bigger screens). Just wait and see - if your a technophile type or show off, you won't be picking up a note or an iphone in two years, you'll be picking up a mid 6-7 inch phablet. Possibly with a keyboard case - itll slip into your jacket pocket, or your shoulder bag or purse but - you'll probably want something else that actually fits in your pants pocket to use as a phone when your not carrying it or at home where you'll possibly use your ten inch tablet, or 7-8 inch novel style tablet.

The whole market will be split on specialization, size, and function.
    You might be on with a 720p screen. Clearly most people aren't or BlackBerry would be doing much better.

eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-13-14 11:33 AM
    Is that a link to a BBM channel?

Try it and see

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 11:37 AM
    Try it and see

Check Out TechCraze
    I did. All it does is take me to a BBM channel. No article or useful information about any upcoming BlackBerry touch device.

Looks like you're just trying to promote your BBM channel.

05-13-14 11:59 AM
    I did. All it does is take me to a BBM channel. No article or useful information about any upcoming BlackBerry touch device.

Looks like you're just trying to promote your BBM channel.

?? That's because it's my signature? My comment was this thread should be retitled to say False (as I have been saying for a long time) there is a high end device coming?

What's in my signature has nothing to do with my comment

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 01:36 PM
    ?? That's because it's my signature? My comment was this thread should be retitled to say False (as I have been saying for a long time) there is a high end device coming?

What's in my signature has nothing to do with my comment

Check Out TechCraze
    Oh. So it should be retitled because you say so. Got it. I stupidly thought you had some evidence to present. But, clearly your say so is good enough.

05-13-14 01:48 PM
    Oh. So it should be retitled because you say so. Got it. I stupidly thought you had some evidence to present. But, clearly your say so is good enough.

?? Do you read Crackberry posts?

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 01:53 PM
    ?? Do you read Crackberry posts?

Check Out TechCraze
    Yes. Do you?

All evidence is that there is no flagship touch coming in 2014. If you have "evidence" to the contrary please present it.

05-13-14 01:55 PM
    Yes. do you?

All evidence is that there is no flagship touch coming in 2014. If you have "evidence" to the contrary please present it.

Btw the thread says high end touch, not flagship..

Are you sure you read?
    N4BB: No New High End Touch in 2014-img_20140513_200350.png

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 02:05 PM
    Btw the thread says high end touch, not flagship..

Are you sure you read?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140513_200350.png 
Views:	931 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	270288

Check Out TechCraze
    First. There's no real difference between high end or flagship. You can argue semantics all you want.

Second. That's a picture. And it says nothing about launching in 2014.

Post a link next time.

05-13-14 02:10 PM
    First. There's no real difference between high end or flagship. You can argue semantics all you want.

Second. That's a picture. And it says nothing about launching in 2014.

Post a link next time.

Ooh is it an unreal difference?

Well done for recognising a jpg clap clap
    I would but I'm on 10.3 and I can't paste inside Crackberry app

And the thread says no new in 2014.. but above is news of that and the news is in 2014? ?

Thread title says nothing about launch of the actual device, just that a new one does not exist, evidently.. it does

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 02:16 PM
    Ooh is it an unreal difference?

Well done for recognising a jpg clap clap
    I would but I'm on 10.3 and I can't paste inside Crackberry app

Check Out TechCraze
    You're a funny guy. A funny guy without any evidence. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for making me laugh.

05-13-14 02:17 PM
    You're a funny guy. A funny guy without any evidence. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Says the crazigee...

Time will tell

Check Out TechCraze
    05-13-14 02:21 PM
    We will have to wait and see what develops, but I don't see BlackBerry launching more than one devices in the Fall time frame. Think the "Classic" is the one they are focused on.

I do think a replacement for the Z10 and Q10 are needed, just to give reviewers a reason to take a look at BB10 again. But then if the whole APK/Google Play/Amazon Store situation is not ironed out and operational... there isn't much of a need for anyone to look at BB10 again. HUB, Peak & Flow and now Fuse.... these are GREAT features that improve a persons productivity, but they aren't the apps that people have a "desire" to use.
    05-13-14 02:25 PM
    Time will tell
    Here's some info I have for you:

1. Aliens from Mars exist (they are are called Martians).

2. They are green.

3. They are coming to Earth in 2014.

I don't know exactly when they are coming, but it will be 2014.

Don't believe me tinochiko?

"Time will tell"

Insert scary music here:

Last edited by crazigee; 05-13-14 at 02:39 PM.
    tinochiko likes this.
    05-13-14 02:27 PM
    Blackberry needs to realize they need to use low prices to people into the platform. I hope them do because I love my q10. I think many people would to if they tried it. Low prices are the only way to get normal people to try something different. 699 when the q10 came out was ridiculous. They need to sell the off contract q20 at 399. I bet they don't though.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 07:06 PM
    Blackberry needs to realize they need to use low prices to people into the platform. I hope them do because I love my q10. I think many people would to if they tried it. Low prices are the only way to get normal people to try something different. 699 when the q10 came out was ridiculous. They need to sell the off contract q20 at 399. I bet they don't though.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're right. Even if they release a really high spec device that is on par, or superior, in specs to Android and iPhone devices they need to sell it at a lower price than the competition until they have regained market share.

Last edited by crazigee; 05-13-14 at 10:36 PM.
    05-13-14 07:33 PM
    I think you're right. Even if they release a really high spec device that is on par, or superior, in specs to Android and iPhone devices they need to sell it at a lower price than the competition until they have regained market share.

Not in developed markets.. people like expensive things there they see them as more valuable.. so BlackBerry needs to add value to the brand rather than just relying on low prices to sell the phone..

Market share they can regain in developing markets from low prices

Check Out TechCraze
    05-14-14 12:09 AM
    Personally I've been thinking this for a while, the next high end all touch BlackBerry won't be released this year.

The reason for thinking that is that we have heard and even seen quite a lot about the 2 phones that we know are coming in late summer or autumn this year, the Classic and Windermere, but nothing at all about the next high end touch phone other than the codename Manitoba.

If it's coming in early 2015 then we should start hearing about it after the two phones mentioned above have been released. I think BlackBerry may be playing a wait and see game before releasing another high end touch phone, using the sales performance of the Z3 and the two upcoming physical Qwerty phones to judge whether it's worth the R&D costs of a high end full touch if it just isn't going to sell well to Enterprise.

I don't like that approach. In my Enterprise physical Qwerty is dead and buried, we are full touch BlackBerry all the way.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-14-14 12:52 AM
    Not in developed markets.
    Yes, just in the developed markets. North America and Europe etc.

05-14-14 07:34 AM
    Thread title should be updated to False!
    Why? If it happens, it's likely for 2015.
    05-14-14 09:10 AM
    Yes, just in the developed markets. North America and Europe etc.

Just in developed markets? So make it expensive everywhere else except developed markets?

What would you rather buy? A Bugatti or a ford mondeo? Developed markets like high value stuff.. developing markets build the market share developed markets build the image

It would hurt BlackBerry more to price it's high end device lower than the competition.. would you buy a S5 or IPhone 5s from someone selling it to your for $1?

Or would you think there was something wrong with it?
    Gross exaggeration, point remains

Check Out TechCraze
    05-14-14 09:38 AM
    Just in developed markets? So make it expensive everywhere else except developed markets?

What would you rather buy? A Bugatti or a ford mondeo? Developed markets like high value stuff.. developing markets build the market share developed markets build the image

It would hurt BlackBerry more to price it's high end device lower than the competition.. would you buy a S5 or IPhone 5s from someone selling it to your for $1?

Or would you think there was something wrong with it?
    Gross exaggeration, point remains

Check Out TechCraze
    BlackBerry isn't building Bugatti Veyons. It's building Honda Accords and trying to convince people to buy them at the same price as a BMW. Isn't going to work.

eyesopen1111 likes this.
    05-14-14 10:38 AM
    BlackBerry isn't building Bugatti Veyons. It's building Honda Accords and trying to convince people to buy them at the same price as a BMW. Isn't going to work.

Wow.. maybe for you.. for me BlackBerry devices are premium.. especially the ones referred to as 'high end'?..

Check Out TechCraze
    05-14-14 10:43 AM
    Wow.. maybe for you.. for me BlackBerry devices are premium.. especially the ones referred to as 'high end'?..

Check Out TechCraze
    Then you're deluded. Sorry but true.

BlackBerry isn't a status symbol and isn't considered a premium device at the moment. Trying to price them in the same range as other premium devices is ludicrous. It's a major reason BlackBerry is having trouble right now. They need to accept their current situation and adjust accordingly. So do you.

05-14-14 10:46 AM
290 ... 89101112