03-19-15 08:05 AM
104 ... 2345
tools
    Passport specs a year from now are a joke. If they delay that long for high end then they better go 64 bit or something to justify the delay, and it better be better than passport specs a 15 months after the Passport release.

Posted via CB10
    i don't think you understand the concept of "64 Bit"..... It simply means the OS can utilise more memory. So unless your phone has MORE than 4GB there is absolutely no point. so if the device came out with 4GB of memory then you can still use 32 Bit so at the moment its useless.

I personally think that the "Leap" aka "Rio" will be what the Z3 was supposed to be. It has the volume buttons on the right side. get it "right" side.. lol and it also has some very nice "stainless steel" on the sides. (more likely silver plastic) which is similar to the Passport. This gives it a really nice look and makes its easily differentiated from the Z3 so people ant get confused.

People must really stop looking at specs and concentrate on the actual performance. (and judge it on what its designed for)

No point saying the "Leap" is so bad at gaming when its not designed for that.... For example, if you judged devices from 1 - 100 on their battery life. Do you think Apple will still be at the top?? NO simply because Apple doesn't design their iPhones for battery life. They concentrate on looks and performance.
    02-24-15 05:13 AM
    i don't think you understand the concept of "64 Bit"..... It simply means the OS can utilise more memory. So unless your phone has MORE than 4GB there is absolutely no point. so if the device came out with 4GB of memory then you can still use 32 Bit so at the moment its useless.

I personally think that the "Leap" aka "Rio" will be what the Z3 was supposed to be. It has the volume buttons on the right side. get it "right" side.. lol and it also has some very nice "stainless steel" on the sides. (more likely silver plastic) which is similar to the Passport. This gives it a really nice look and makes its easily differentiated from the Z3 so people ant get confused.

People must really stop looking at specs and concentrate on the actual performance. (and judge it on what its designed for)

No point saying the "Leap" is so bad at gaming when its not designed for that.... For example, if you judged devices from 1 - 100 on their battery life. Do you think Apple will still be at the top?? NO simply because Apple doesn't design their iPhones for battery life. They concentrate on looks and performance.
    I don't think you understand 64 bit if you think it only increases the memory. It can process larger integer values with less operations. So it can be up to twice as fast at some operations, and be more efficient per clock cycle. This is very important in graphics intensive applications where large numbers are being used in calculations constantly.

The Leap is a giant leap backwards. This is the exact same thing BlackBerry did with BBOS using the same processor for years and getting labeled for using it. Using ancient processor will only ****** the capabilities of the OS as they have to make sure updates will continue to run on three or four year old hardware. Bet they charge way too much for it too. It should only cost $200 max for those specs.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime, mode_m and Matty like this.
    02-24-15 08:55 AM
    I don't think you understand 64 bit if you think it only increases the memory. It can process larger integer values with less operations. This is very important in graphics intensive applications where large numbers are being used in calculations constantly.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly why I think 64 Bit is a waste... The "BlackBerry Leap" is not designed for graphic gaming ect. It's designed for work. This is why I think BlackBerry will """"never"""" use 64 bit. Simply because it's a work device and you don't need a "big" graphics card with 64 bit and 5 GB ram to processes 100 e-mails all at the same time.

But anyway I don't want to get into a big discussion. Back on topic

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    02-24-15 09:05 AM
    Exactly why I think 64 Bit is a waste... The "BlackBerry Leap" is not designed for graphic gaming ect. It's designed for work. This is why I think BlackBerry will """"never"""" use 64 bit. Simply because it's a work device and you don't need a "big" graphics card with 64 bit and 5 GB ram to processes 100 e-mails all at the same time.

If your device is just for email and basic communications, sure. Medical and other businesses they want in, then they will need it. Work is different for different industries and not always email.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 10:13 AM

Then it should be cheap AF. Like, 200 dollars cheap. There's obviously minimal R&D with that.. thing, since it's a slightly refreshed Z3. Apple has their huge ecosystem to justify the price, Android has premium specs, the "Leap" has neither.

But knowing BlackBerry, it will (would, since it's not official) be 400USD.

Let's also not forget there's info, specs and a name for a refreshed Z3 that hasn't been out for too long, but nothing for the "high end" that has been out in the market for longer.

Let's also not forget that thing would make four devices with astonishingly little differences.
    02-24-15 10:34 AM

Never said never. If for no other reason. BBRY will be forced to move by general market trend.
    I don't know if you're aware the soon to be rectified ARM v8.1 will drop AArch32 requirement for good. Within two years, all high-end/mid-end mobile SOCs will migrate to AArch64. BBRY will have no choice but to accommodate the market wide movement.
    ATI nsider likes this.
    02-24-15 05:21 PM
    BlackBerry is obviously trying to keep development and manufacturing costs low by using the same internals and just changing the form factor.

What this means is that whatever other higher end device that eventually gets released will surely share much in common with Passport.

BlackBerry is never going to be a company using the latest and greatest in hardware every year.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 07:45 PM

What? The Z10 can play any game you throw at it. Same for the Z30. Sure you do not require 64-Bit based smart phones. The key features of the Z10 and Z30 is there powerful Quad-GPU, that helps drives the BB10 interface.

In time BlackBerry will eventually utilize 64-Bit chips in its phone, when the time is right. BlackBerry is not only geared to the Enterprise. Not according to John Chen's 2015 growth and mass distribution strategy. The Enterprise focus was then, now is now. He's rectified BES12. Released the Classic per what the Enterprise asked for, and the Passport, most unique innovative masterpiece that helped put BlackBerry's image back in the media.
    02-24-15 09:01 PM
    I think I can see the point of this device

If the price-point is low enough, and it is marketed in bulk to enterprise as a fleet phone, I think the specs in it are decent enough to work reasonably well with BB10. I can see it being good enough that many users might not see the point in paying an extra $70 a month or so for a private iPhone or Android contract and opt to use one of these as their sole device if it is given to them by their employer. It may be a way for BB to put BB10 in the hands of a lot more consumers via their enterprise customers.

What was it 1-2 years ago the mid-spec Moto G was one of the best selling smart phones on the market? Maybe this is intended as BB's bread and butter phone.

That said, I agree a high-end full-touch is what many customers want, and a market segment they shouldn't ignore.
    Assuming this is a device aimed at enterprise users that are given a device by their employer, then this will be perfectly fine. Many companies lock down their corporate issued devices to the point it can only do corporate email and phone calls. The android runtime and BB world are also usually disabled. My only concern is if the geniuses at BB decide to sell this to consumers for $299 off contract. They will get laughed out of the USA once and for all if they do anything dumb like that. $199 is the absolute maximum this phone should be sold for off contract. $149 would be better. If I had it my way I'd sell it for $99 off contract. THAT would get people's attention in a good way.
    slegros likes this.
    02-24-15 11:26 PM
    If your device is just for email and basic communications, sure. Medical and other businesses they want in, then they will need it. Work is different for different industries and not always email.

Posted via CB10
    If potential customers in medical, etc require a phone with more horsepower they will have the Passport and hybrid Visa/Victoria to choose from. It's not like they will be locked out of BlackBerry due to lack of a competent device.

In terms of the Classic and Leap, I would use the rental car analogy to describe those. If BlackBerry were Avis, then those devices would be their Chevy Cruze with no AC and manual roll down windows. Good enough to get you from 'A to B', aka read emails, make phone calls, browse the web, view PDF's and other utterly basic functions that a phone with those specs can handle.
    02-24-15 11:33 PM
    If potential customers in medical, etc require a phone with more horsepower they will have the Passport and hybrid Visa/Victoria to choose from. It's not like they will be locked out of BlackBerry due to lack of a competent device.

In terms of the Classic and Leap, I would use the rental car analogy to describe those. If BlackBerry were Avis, then those devices would be their Chevy Cruze with no AC and manual roll down windows. Good enough to get you from 'A to B', aka read emails, make phone calls, browse the web, view PDF's and other utterly basic functions that a phone with those specs can handle.
    Problem is (expanding your rental car analogy) that the passport today is already a base model civic. Meanwhile Apple & Co have everything from a Maserati to a BMW lined up for the same price.

FOR THE SAME PRICE

Why would I ever buy a BlackBerry. This is madness. This is why they will never produce a successful phone again. Among a plethora of other reasons including brand image.

But this is not helping brand image. Phones with Z10 specs should cost sub 100 today. Passport is only semi modern. We better not see another phone with passport internals, that would be pathetic. There are more power efficient choices out there today, and battery life is important. I don't even care about the performance aspect but when BlackBerry leaves battery life on the table.... It's disappointing.

People need to stop justifying this behavior by BlackBerry. It's unacceptable, and I say that as a fan. I want my next phone to be a BlackBerry. I just don't want to see them run their handset division into the ground.

Posted via CB10
    Marco Mecelli likes this.
    02-25-15 04:28 AM
    Problem is (expanding your rental car analogy) that the passport today is already a base model civic. Meanwhile Apple & Co have everything from a Maserati to a BMW lined up for the same price.

FOR THE SAME PRICE

Why would I ever buy a BlackBerry. This is madness. This is why they will never produce a successful phone again. Among a plethora of other reasons including brand image.

But this is not helping brand image. Phones with Z10 specs should cost sub 100 today. Passport is only semi modern. We better not see another phone with passport internals, that would be pathetic. There are more power efficient choices out there today, and battery life is important. I don't even care about the performance aspect but when BlackBerry leaves battery life on the table.... It's disappointing.

People need to stop justifying this behavior by BlackBerry. It's unacceptable, and I say that as a fan. I want my next phone to be a BlackBerry. I just don't want to see them run their handset division into the ground.

Posted via CB10
    In fairness, when the Passport was released it had top of the line specs. I wouldn't call it a base model Honda Civic. It certainly doesn't have as broad and deep an ecosystem, but HW and OS are on level footing with competitors.

In terms of not using Passport internals in their next phone, ideally they would not. But this is BlackBerry we are talking about. At the end of the day, I am OK with whatever internals they use as long as they price it accordingly. Charging flagship prices for outdated specs is what annoys me, not that they actually use outdated specs. BB10 and native apps run well even on Z10 HW. The issue is the reliance on Android apps. To create a smooth Android experience they need to throw more horsepower at their devices.
    02-25-15 08:51 AM
    In fairness, when the Passport was released it had top of the line specs. I wouldn't call it a base model Honda Civic. It certainly doesn't have as broad and deep an ecosystem, but HW and OS are on level footing with competitors.

In terms of not using Passport internals in their next phone, ideally they would not. But this is BlackBerry we are talking about. At the end of the day, I am OK with whatever internals they use as long as they price it accordingly. Charging flagship prices for outdated specs is what annoys me, not that they actually use outdated specs. BB10 and native apps run well even on Z10 HW. The issue is the reliance on Android apps. To create a smooth Android experience they need to throw more horsepower at their devices.
    I agree that BlackBerry has under-specced and overpriced nearly every device of its BB10 line. That, along with focussing on the miniscule and shrinking keyboard phone market and ignoring the need for an all-touch flagship device have caused BlackBerry to fall far short of the 10 million devices sold target set by Chen. By reversing the strategy and embracing all-touch phones, perhaps Chen can get the sales growth that he's looking for.
    02-25-15 10:42 AM

Tell that to every enterprise customer with a CAD system.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 11:49 AM
    Exactly, I use my device to review drawings in the field. Create markups using a stylus, connect to tv's in motel rooms, use a bt keyboard for typing. Need a high end spec to power it all.

I may be on the extreme end of communications, but this is my life.
    02-25-15 11:56 AM

Even with the passport the snapdragon 805 was a little outdated. Not as bad as BlackBerry had been in the past but it was already being replaced in the android world with something better. The point is I don't get how they can charge the price and consistently lag at least one generation behind. That won't end well.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-25-15 02:35 PM
    I have the Passport, but would certainly welcome all touch. I love my Passport because it's the most advanced phone BlackBerry offers. The physical keyboard does present some challenges as far as typing speed even with flick technology.

Posted via CB10
    Denzal J likes this.
    02-25-15 07:45 PM
    I have the Passport, but would certainly welcome all touch. I love my Passport because it's the most advanced phone BlackBerry offers. The physical keyboard does present some challenges as far as typing speed even with flick technology.
    Agreed. And welcome to the forums!
    02-26-15 02:23 AM
    I'm Catholic and the term 'Jesus phone' is cracking me up. I look crazy laughing here alone at my desk.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 08:49 PM
    I'm Catholic and the term 'Jesus phone' is cracking me up. I look crazy laughing here alone at my desk.

Posted via CB10
    Just wait until they premier the Lazarus phone next year.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:33 PM
    Hopefully this ends up being a high end All Touch. The Z30 deserves a true replacement.

Posted by Q5
    03-10-15 02:08 PM
    Hopefully this ends up being a high end All Touch. The Z30 deserves a true replacement.

Posted by Q5
    I'm done waiting. I don't think BlackBerry has any intently of releasing a high end touch device. I think it's time for me to start evaluating other platforms as a potential replacement.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    03-14-15 10:13 AM
    Tell that to every enterprise customer with a CAD system.

Posted via CB10
    I have several enterprise customers and even small architectural firms as customers. Not ONCE has any bothered looking at a CAD drawing on a 4-5 inch screen. These users all have dual 30 inch monitors on their desktops.
    03-14-15 10:32 AM

May not be designed for Graphic Gaming, but let me stress the Leap can play any game you throw at it. The Z10 can play any game and so can the Z30.

I'm done waiting. I don't think BlackBerry has any intently of releasing a high end touch device. I think it's time for me to start evaluating other platforms as a potential replacement.

 Posted using my Z30 via CB10 
    The High End Full Touch Slider will make a great Z30 replacement. John Chen only announced 3 devices at World Mobile Congress 2015. He will be announcing a 4th device. Not sure when, but that could very well be a Full Touch none physical keyboard phone. The QWERTY physical keyboard segment has already been meet with the Passport and Classic.
    03-15-15 01:24 AM
    May not be designed for Graphic Gaming, but let me stress the Leap can play any game you throw at it.
    How do you know? Have you tried one?
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    03-15-15 01:59 AM
104 ... 2345