As in "Jesus! Can't believe they are going to release another low end all touch device while ignoring the high end users that need an upgrade path."

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 and mode_m like this.
    02-20-15 06:04 PM
    As in "Jesus! Can't believe they are going to release another low end all touch device while ignoring the high end users that need an upgrade path."

Posted via CB10
    Are we sure this is a non-flagship device? I hope it is a flagship and has better than Passport specs. Don't tell me it's based on the Z3 or something...
    02-20-15 10:25 PM
    Are we sure this is a non-flagship device? I hope it is a flagship and has better than Passport specs. Don't tell me it's based on the Z3 or something...
    Both CrackBerry and N4BB people said in the upstream podcast it is definitely not high end. Everything seems to point to a Z30 size screen with a Z10 equivalent processor.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    02-20-15 10:41 PM
    Both CrackBerry and N4BB people said in the upstream podcast it is definitely not high end. Everything seems to point to a Z30 size screen with a Z10 equivalent processor.

Posted via CB10
    Oh man that's not good news.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 01:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Then what's the goddamn point?! Hope it's not true. So many different, yet so similar, phones.
    02-21-15 02:08 AM
    The "Leap" is supposed to be a "Z3 Upgrade" for those who intend on upgrading next year, and it's a rather late "Z10 Replacement" for those who have had their Z10s for just over 2 years now.

That being said, with the Leap, with regards to the specs (leaked).

Compared to Z10
    Bigger Battery
    Lower screen resolution <--- Going backwards, not good.
    Larger screen "5 inches
    Penta band radio (better signal)

So even though it's not an "Upgrade" I'm sure it will still perform very well and meet your everyday requirements. I say everyday because it's not high end, so not meant for gaming.

There have also been rumours of a "Z40" for a December / January launch which could possibly have Passport specs for the full touch fans. But right now nothing is for sure and we will know much more on 2nd March.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    Last edited by Matty; 02-24-15 at 05:04 AM.
    02-21-15 02:13 AM
    March will definitely tell the tale. I'm waiting for the Visa/Victoria, but this tale of an all-touch flagship being released later in the year has my full attention.
    02-21-15 02:23 AM
    Guys it ain't high end. You can say it is the "Z3 evolved ".

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:39 AM
    Compared to Z10
    Bigger Battery
    Lower screen resolution
    Larger screen 5 inches
    Sounds like the Z30.
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    02-21-15 09:11 AM
    Blasphemy! Burn the blasphemers! ; )

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 09:25 AM
    at least its not the devil phone ie , IP and SS lol
    02-21-15 09:39 AM
    I just hope that these rumors of low-spec devices ultimately prove to be false. Even if low-spec was the initial plan, hopefully there is time to upgrade the internals before launching any devices.

BlackBerry needs high-end devices to be taken seriously as a high-tech company. This idea of making new devices out of old components with non-competitive performance metrics (especially given that they are to launch in 2015) just seems like a risky strategy to me.
    DJM626 and NecroSemen like this.
    02-21-15 11:02 AM
    The "Rio" is supposed to be a "Z3 Upgrade" for those who intend on upgrading next year, and it's a rather late "Z10 Replacement" for those who have had their Z10s for just over 2 years now.

That being said, with the Rio, with regards to the specs (leaked).

Compared to Z10
    Bigger Battery
    Lower screen resolution
    Larger screen "5 inches
    Penta band radio (better signal)

So even though it's not an "Upgrade" I'm sure it will still perform very well and meet your everyday requirements. I say everyday because it's not high end, so not meant for gaming.

There have also been rumours of a "Z40" for a December / January launch which could possibly have Passport specs for the full touch fans. But right now nothing is for sure and we will know much more on 2nd March.

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    Passport specs a year from now are a joke. If they delay that long for high end then they better go 64 bit or something to justify the delay, and it better be better than passport specs a 15 months after the Passport release.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:57 PM
    Surely the components of making a Z10 are much cheaper now (coupled with the infamous write down of course) so I don't really get the Z3 going forward. R and D resources and focus must go to making a new flagship. And then further discount the Z10 to reflect it's age and specs to cater for cost sensitive markets/buyers.
    Somebody explain why the have to bother with a Z3 in 2015?
    02-22-15 02:01 AM
    Surely the components of making a Z10 are much cheaper now (coupled with the infamous write down of course) so I don't really get the Z3 going forward. R and D resources and focus must go to making a new flagship. And then further discount the Z10 to reflect it's age and specs to cater for cost sensitive markets/buyers.
    Somebody explain why the have to bother with a Z3 in 2015?
    I think the Z10 processor is just not good at all. It ran way too hot under minimal load I found in the Z10. There are newer, more efficient, and probably cheaper processors that BlackBerry could get from Qualcomm now in the 400, or upgrade to the 425 and he would be better. Unless they bought a ton of these lame MSM9860 that they are just trying to use, they really need to be moving to the newer processors, even in the value devices to get the newer GPU's, more efficient cores, and better efficiency. Low end Qualcomm 4xx, mid-high, 6xx, and high 8xx. Using the Z10/Q10 processor in the Classic was simply a joke.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 11:57 AM
    IF true about it not being high end, the only thing I can think of at this point is "The more things change the more they stay the same" Sounds as if BB still doesn't get it. I think part of the problem with the Z10 and Z30 still has to do with marketing, or in this case the serious lack of. With a new O/S that is supposed to be that much better, I can not believe they are still considering making low end devices and then wonder what they are doing wrong if they don't sell them as well as they anticipate. SMH
    02-22-15 06:37 PM
    They need more bandwidth and speed in general. I hate rebooting my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 07:22 PM
    They need more bandwidth and speed in general. I hate rebooting my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    More bandwidth? What?
    02-22-15 08:09 PM
    More bandwidth? What?
    #morebandwidth
    02-22-15 08:17 PM
    IF true about it not being high end, the only thing I can think of at this point is "The more things change the more they stay the same" Sounds as if BB still doesn't get it. I think part of the problem with the Z10 and Z30 still has to do with marketing, or in this case the serious lack of. With a new O/S that is supposed to be that much better, I can not believe they are still considering making low end devices and then wonder what they are doing wrong if they don't sell them as well as they anticipate. SMH
    This. I completely agree.

I understand that companies like BlackBerry need products at different price points, but ignoring the flagship all-touch segment is a gross mistake IMHO. I just hope that the BlackBerry Visa/Victoria phone that is rumored to be shown at the MWC next month is impressive to those interested in a flagship all-touch device.
    02-23-15 11:21 AM
    More bandwidth? What?
    CPU/memory integration needs to be faster. I'd take faster memory over a faster CPU.
    02-23-15 06:11 PM
    CPU/memory integration needs to be faster. I'd take faster memory over a faster CPU.
    Newer processors are needed to get increased memory pipelines and speeds.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 07:08 PM
    The news... they hurt..

I'm still not losing hope, because it's not official.

That thing is going to make exactly 0 people "Leap" over.
    02-24-15 12:11 AM
    This. I completely agree.

I understand that companies like BlackBerry need products at different price points, but ignoring the flagship all-touch segment is a gross mistake IMHO. I just hope that the BlackBerry Visa/Victoria phone that is rumored to be shown at the MWC next month is impressive to those interested in a flagship all-touch device.
    I think I can see the point of this device…

If the price-point is low enough, and it is marketed in bulk to enterprise as a fleet phone, I think the specs in it are decent enough to work reasonably well with BB10. I can see it being good enough that many users might not see the point in paying an extra $70 a month or so for a private iPhone or Android contract and opt to use one of these as their sole device if it is given to them by their employer. It may be a way for BB to put BB10 in the hands of a lot more consumers via their enterprise customers.

What was it 1-2 years ago the mid-spec Moto G was one of the best selling smart phones on the market? Maybe this is intended as BB's bread and butter phone….

That said, I agree a high-end full-touch is what many customers want, and a market segment they shouldn't ignore.
    02-24-15 01:36 AM
    It's just a recycled Z3, nothing interesting to see here move along.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 04:06 AM
104 12345