09-28-14 12:36 PM
40 12
tools
    So John Chen , the CEO of BlackBerry, talked about a possible phablet device in the future,I think that making a professional looking phablet device looks far more promising and better looking to a bussiness man than a phablet made by Samsung.BlackBerry still holds a strong brand name in the enterprise area and I think with the correct advertisement and marketing the device will be a huge selling point and the best device ever made by BB.
    PS: I would also love to see a pen made by bb!
    Whats your on opinion on it?
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-11-14 06:16 AM
    I think it is not a bad idea, but I thought businessmen like qwerty keyboard (hardware of course) and if they are trying to win back teens, this will be a really good device!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:28 AM
    My opinion is "Too much talking. Let's get doing"
    06-11-14 06:30 AM
    I just do not get what he means by phablet. Considering the Q30 and Z30 are already (or will be) pretty big, I thought that was what phablet meant. Like a device that is larger than the traditional smartphone (iPhone size), but not tablet-sized.

I just do not see a 1" larger Z30 be that much different, same would go for the Q30.

If he wants to go any bigger it would just become PlayBook sized. And considering BlackBerry marketed that as a tablet, what dimensions is he thinking of now?

Of course PB owners have been asking for a BB10 tablet all this time, so if this phablet ends up being around 6~7" I guess they finally get what they want. And at the same time BlackBerry can still say: "see we are not making tablets anymore this is a phablet".

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 06-11-14 at 06:44 AM.
    06-11-14 06:33 AM
    By saying phablet I think he means something like the Samsung Note that rules the phablet market, A phablet with a 5.5 inch screen at least and a professionaly looking design with a pen( i think this is a must )
    06-11-14 06:38 AM
    John Chen is basically gearing up for the Windermere launch that is gonna happen in September. We have already seen leaked pictures of the device and it is massive, it will be termed as a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:52 AM
    In my experience, whenever someone pulls out an iPad or a SGNote or any other Phablet-type device in a meeting, or just to take a phone call in a professional/business setting, they look ridiculous. They immediately lose credibility; it looks like they're just playing with toys, not wanting to get sh*t done. When I met with a new client last year in Toronto (well a replacement for a former posting at my client's company), she pulled out a Q10 and I immediately knew she was all business. We're able to touch base almost immediately and work has taken off between our two firms.

I think there's a place for Phablets (because obviously there's a market for them), but it's just not my taste. More for the consumer side of things than the business/professional side. As much as the BB10 Keyboards are amazing for mobile, I can't pump out 115 WPM on anything but my laptop or PC keyboard.
    06-11-14 10:05 AM
    Something like Samsung's Note from BlackBerry?.... Wrap it up! I'm taking it! )))))))
    06-11-14 10:10 AM
    John Chen is basically gearing up for the Windermere launch that is gonna happen in September. We have already seen leaked pictures of the device and it is massive, it will be termed as a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    The LG Pro 2 is 157.9 x 81.9 vs the Q30 approx 120 x 88 (?) . So the latest phablet is 22% larger than the Q30.

Personally I am not into really large phones but I would hope that BlackBerry keeps the same size of screen that is on the Z30 but reduces the bulk of the body. I would also love to see a Z30 mini . Any new Z phones have to increase the ppi's of their screens. The Z30 screen is not good enough. I have no doubt that the iPhone 6 will have a fantastic screen.
    06-11-14 10:20 AM
    I don't know if it is a good a idea or not, but I will buy it. There are not too much devices in this area so is a way maybe to get noticed, there are about 5 models in the >5" area? So getting one in there may give attention to the brand.
    06-11-14 10:23 AM
    In my experience, whenever someone pulls out an iPad or a SGNote or any other Phablet-type device in a meeting, or just to take a phone call in a professional/business setting, they look ridiculous. They immediately lose credibility; it looks like they're just playing with toys, not wanting to get sh*t done. When I met with a new client last year in Toronto (well a replacement for a former posting at my client's company), she pulled out a Q10 and I immediately knew she was all business. We're able to touch base almost immediately and work has taken off between our two firms.

I think there's a place for Phablets (because obviously there's a market for them), but it's just not my taste. More for the consumer side of things than the business/professional side. As much as the BB10 Keyboards are amazing for mobile, I can't pump out 115 WPM on anything but my laptop or PC keyboard.
    I work in construction and most of the time you have to do sketches on hand, and I have to recognize that the Note 3 with the sketching abilities is a very good thing, I have stylus pen for my Z30 with some sketching apps that do the job but have not all the precision that the Note 3 has in this area, and a bigger screen does help here.

It is true that when you look someone answering a call with a Note 3 it looks ridiculous but the productivity I would get from a bigger screen with better sketching capabilities is worth it, so it is all relative to the use you give to it, and those Notes 3 are everywhere now and people seems to get used to it very fast and stop seen them as ridiculous as they may look now.
    06-11-14 10:31 AM
    I work in construction and most of the time you have to do sketches on hand, and I have to recognize that the Note 3 with the sketching abilities is a very good thing, I have stylus pen for my Z30 with some sketching apps that do the job but have not all the precision that the Note 3 has in this area, and a bigger screen does help here.

It is true that when you look someone answering a call with a Note 3 it looks ridiculous but the productivity I would get from a bigger screen with better sketching capabilities is worth it, so it is all relative to the use you give to it, and those Notes 3 are everywhere now and people seems to get used to it very fast and stop seen them as ridiculous as they may look now.
    Very good points. Probably a bigger market for this device than the Q30. I think when it comes to the all touch line up FoxConn calls the shots anyway.
    06-11-14 10:38 AM
    I'd rather have a cell phone I can fit into my pocket and then a tablet if I need one tethered to my phone. I don't want something with a cumbersome form factor that I have to lug around everywhere.

Posted via my Q10, USA
    06-11-14 12:30 PM
    I think a phablet with a pen all made by BlackBerry does look professional and fairly nice, anyway whatever the device is , I hope its gonna sell like hotcakes
    06-11-14 01:14 PM
    That attitude will kill any phone manufacturer and the networks won't thank you for propagating that nonsense either.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    06-11-14 01:29 PM
    That attitude will kill any phone manufacturer and the networks won't thank you for propagating that nonsense either.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    While you do have to take time to get things right.....

About all that BlackBerry had done for the last four years is talk - they have yet to delivery (successfully) on any of their great ideas. I understand Shadowyugi frustrations and desire for less talk and more action!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-11-14 01:41 PM
    Minimize the bezels on the Z30 and you are much closer to a phablet! I wonder how big of a screen the Z30 could handle? I've been saying the same for my Z10. These ridiculously large bezels need to be shrunken as much as possible.
    06-11-14 02:59 PM
    Minimize the bezels on the Z30 and you are much closer to a phablet! I wonder how big of a screen the Z30 could handle? I've been saying the same for my Z10. These ridiculously large bezels need to be shrunken as much as possible.

The Z30 appears to do a better job on the bezels but the Z10 could have been better. The Moto X is basically the same size as a Z10 but has a 4.7 inch screen. I think the designers were caught up with the idea of "active bezels" like the playbook but I could be wrong about that. Personally, I am really liking my z10.
    06-11-14 03:51 PM
    The Z30 appears to do a better job on the bezels but the Z10 could have been better. The Moto X is basically the same size as a Z10 but has a 4.7 inch screen. I think the designers were caught up with the idea of "active bezels" like the playbook but I could be wrong about that. Personally, I am really liking my z10.
    Active Bezels... I remember how proud we were of those active bezels. Today when I sit my PlayBook next to my wife's iPad mini, I'm not as proud of those active bezels anymore. Get rid of the bezels and the PlayBook's Screen is Phablet size.
    06-11-14 03:55 PM
    Agreed. The old days of BlackBerry had the CEO stringing folks along with quotes about their plans. I'd rather they remained silent, let folks speculate (like an Apple), and then talk when there's about to be something to buy.
    06-11-14 03:58 PM
    A 6" all touch BB10 phone would placate most of those calling for a second PlayBook. The main difference would be that, as it's just a very large phone, it would be mainly used in portrait orientation rather than landscape like the PlayBook. Chuck in handwriting recognition at OS level and a stylus and you could have a good product on your hands.

But BlackBerry please please please forget physical Qwerty. It's not the lack of physical keyboard phones or the "tool belt" holding BlackBerry back. Right now in the UK you can buy a brand new P9981, 9320, 9720, 9790, Q5, Q10 and soon the 9900 (again). That's 7 different models with a physical keyboard and some even with a tool belt and still BlackBerry's phone sales are dismal. It's the software ecosystem and the marketing currently at fault.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3175 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    06-11-14 05:03 PM
    What are your opinions on a phablet torch device? If it also came with a stylus, I think it'd be a winner with industries that have personnel on the field, such as construction, couriers, etc..

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:18 PM
    THANK YOU!!!! Too much long talking. Action over words

Posted via CB10
    planemaker likes this.
    06-11-14 06:20 PM
    I just do not get what he means by phablet. Considering the Q30 and Z30 are already (or will be) pretty big, I thought that was what phablet meant. Like a device that is larger than the traditional smartphone (iPhone size), but not tablet-sized.
    I agree about the Z30 being already big. I don't want a phone that is larger than the Z30 because the Z30 is the largest phone I'm willing to buy. In my opinion, 4.7 inch screens are a good balance between too large and too small. I can still use only one hand on a 4.7 phone.

It sounds like John Chen was saying a possible phablet would be an additional phone rather than a replacement for current phones, so that's okay for people who like phablets. I wouldn't buy one.

I am concerned with Chen's phablet statement because BlackBerry might not release a 4.7" phone if they think the future is larger phones. Give me a 4.7" Z30 with updated specs like higher resolution and a brighter screen. That's the phone I would want.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-11-14 07:17 PM
    And the galaxy note is ridiculous but it still sold 55 million units. So who cares if it looks ridiculous.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    06-12-14 01:25 AM
40 12