11-18-19 07:15 PM
149 ... 456
tools
    I'm surprised they didn't order a complete redesign of the keyboard.

To me that indicates that at this point, BBL couldn't care less about hardware.
    I don't know... I've seen some iPhone clones that look almost exactly like an "old" iPhone, bet you could use the sames cases on them. Your patent design can only cover so much.
    11-18-19 11:55 AM
    Unihertz said as much.
    It must be true then.
    11-18-19 11:57 AM
    It must be true then.
    Upon receiving a letter from BlackBerry:

"To make sure we can fulfill all the pledge to each backer as we promised, we have to make some changes to original design of Titan:

1. We change the screen size and resolution. The final screen of Titan will be 1430*1438 4.6 inch screen.

2. We change the keyboard touch control to TRACK-PAD NAVIGATOR. Which means the function is un changed but the tracking pad change from the keyboard to the central button."
    11-18-19 12:00 PM
    I don't know... I've seen some iPhone clones that look almost exactly like an "old" iPhone, bet you could use the sames cases on them. Your patent design can only cover so much.
    Eh, slabs are slabs so they'll just look fairly generic to some extent.
    11-18-19 12:21 PM
    It was capacitive it seemed they wanted to protect.
    Well, but how about Ryan Seacrest's cases then?

Wasn't Chen on board when they sued Typo out of existence?
    11-18-19 12:22 PM
    Upon receiving a letter from BlackBerry:

"To make sure we can fulfill all the pledge to each backer as we promised, we have to make some changes to original design of Titan:

1. We change the screen size and resolution. The final screen of Titan will be 1430*1438 4.6 inch screen.

2. We change the keyboard touch control to TRACK-PAD NAVIGATOR. Which means the function is un changed but the tracking pad change from the keyboard to the central button."
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any reference to BlackBerry patents here? .

Your apparent claim the above serves as proof Unihertz is not in violation of any BlackBerry patents with its Titan is at best, weak. It is blatantly obvious where Unihertz has drawn its "inspiration" for the Titan design. Unihertz may well be protected in its country of origin from BlackBerry patent lawsuits, and has done its best to allay the fears of its customers. Not sure the same can be said of its end users, who are potentially financiers of a patent-infringing product.
    11-18-19 12:29 PM
    Well, but how about Ryan Seacrest's cases then?

Wasn't Chen on board when they sued Typo out of existence?
    True. But that was a while back where BlackBerry devices were in a different place.
    11-18-19 12:30 PM
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any reference to BlackBerry patents here? .

Your apparent claim the above serves as proof Unihertz is not in violation of any BlackBerry patents with its Titan is at best, weak. It is blatantly obvious where Unihertz has drawn its "inspiration" for the Titan design. Unihertz may well be protected in its country of origin from BlackBerry patent lawsuits, and has done its best to allay the fears of its customers. Not sure the same can be said of its end users, who are potentially financiers of a patent-infringing product.
    They mentioned it in their blogs. It's no secret.

In any event, it was your contention that BlackBerry's future keyboard IP monetization efforts would be from litigation. The burden of proof is on you.
    11-18-19 12:33 PM
    True. But that was a while back where BlackBerry devices were in a different place.
    2013: Don't you dare make a keyboard case (not even a phone!) that has the BlackBerry style key sculpting or frets

2019: You can make a blatant copy of a BlackBerry as long as the keyboard isn't capacitive.
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-18-19 12:37 PM
    2013: Don't you dare make a keyboard case (not even a phone!) that has the BlackBerry style key sculpting or frets

2019: You can make a blatant copy of a BlackBerry as long as the keyboard isn't capacitive.
    That's a level of detail I really can't say much about. Patents expire, priorities change, etc... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-18-19 12:38 PM
    They mentioned it in their blogs. It's no secret.

In any event, it was your contention that BlackBerry's future keyboard IP monetization efforts would be from litigation. The burden of proof is on you.
    Fees via litigation is not only the most likely scenario, it is BlackBerry's ONLY option. Does anyone here expect the likes of Unihertz to voluntarily seek a licensing arrangement with BlackBerry regarding its keyboard or other bits and pieces of its mobile device IP?

Let's be realistic.
    11-18-19 12:47 PM
    Fees via litigation is not only the most likely scenario, it is BlackBerry's ONLY option. Does anyone here expect the likes of Unihertz to voluntarily seek a licensing arrangement with BlackBerry regarding its keyboard or other bits and pieces of its mobile device IP?

Let's be realistic.
    Unihertz is doing what it can to avoid BB IP since it made changes to it’s original planned design. The PKB idea will be the cheapest possible avoiding paying for anything unnecessary. It had 3K customers.

BB only real concern now is getting paid for actual monies due under existing licensing contracts. BBMo is required to keep terms of agreement. BB has shown it will enforce agreements. Obviously BBMo does owe money or will owe money under the agreement if their attempts to show Key2 as current meets some proof as ongoing concern.
    11-18-19 01:20 PM

Let's be realistic.
    I'm not speaking to likelihood, but I'm hoping the keyboard may live on with (a) licencing deal(s).

Otherwise, why would BlackBerry be shutting down the Titan's of the world?
    11-18-19 02:49 PM
    I'm not speaking to likelihood, but I'm hoping the keyboard may live on with (a) licencing deal(s).

Otherwise, why would BlackBerry be shutting down the Titan's of the world?
    Because it's their IP and if they don't protect it now, they maybe at some future point they can't charge someone else...
    11-18-19 02:52 PM
    maybe at some future point they can't charge someone else...
    Would there even by a "someone else" ?
    11-18-19 03:19 PM
    Part of defending IP means even when you don’t really care. Got to encourage the copycats that you always mean bizness
    11-18-19 03:26 PM
    Based on what I've seen on Star Trek.... button do make a comeback by Kirk's time.

QNX might be powering the starships of the future, and BlackBerry might even be going so far as to do the control interfaces.
    11-18-19 03:28 PM
    Because it's their IP and if they don't protect it now, they maybe at some future point they can't charge someone else...
    That's my point.
    11-18-19 04:00 PM
    That's my point.
    BlackBerry:

"Just waiting for someone to license our PKB patents..."

*Insert meme*
    11-18-19 04:08 PM
    BlackBerry:

"Just waiting for someone to license our PKB patents..."

*Insert meme*
    Or this (crickets) which is where I was going with this from the outset. My point seems hopelessly lost on some.

BlackBerry won't be getting any patent money for its keyboard IP because nobody needs it or wants it. Unihertz is laughing in their face. The only chance of BlackBerry seeing a dime will be by suing the likes of Unihertz...or anyone else foolish enough to blatantly copy their work and not realize BlackBerry Ltd has precious little else to do in the mobile space these days besides trawling for lawsuits.
    11-18-19 04:34 PM
    Eh, yeah I guess.

Maybe BB could get a tiny percentage on each Titan sold or something.

It must really be frustrating to have all that sunken costs in keyboard IP and nobody license it to
    11-18-19 05:14 PM
    Or this (crickets) which is where I was going with this from the outset. My point seems hopelessly lost on some.

BlackBerry won't be getting any patent money for its keyboard IP because nobody needs it or wants it. Unihertz is laughing in their face. The only chance of BlackBerry seeing a dime will be by suing the likes of Unihertz...or anyone else foolish enough to blatantly copy their work and not realize BlackBerry Ltd has precious little else to do in the mobile space these days besides trawling for lawsuits.

Eh, yeah I guess.

Maybe BB could get a tiny percentage on each Titan sold or something.

It must really be frustrating to have all that sunken costs in keyboard IP and nobody license it to
    Except BlackBerry was more interested in protecting their IP rather than litigating to make money.

They warned Unihertz ahead of time instead of waiting and suing them after. If BlackBerry only wanted a cash play, they would have done the latter.

This to me indicates they have other hopes they may be entertaining.
    11-18-19 05:44 PM
    Except BlackBerry was more interested in protecting their IP rather than litigating to make money.

They warned Unihertz ahead of time instead of waiting and suing them after. If BlackBerry only wanted a cash play, they would have done the latter.

This to me indicates they have other hopes they may be entertaining.
    You really need to let go of this delusion. There is no money to be made on BlackBerry keyboard IP by anyone other than BlackBerry or the licensees making BlackBerry branded devices. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

If that letter even exists...and I have my doubts...it was little more than a feeble demonstration that BlackBerry's highly paid IP monetization department is doing *something* in the face of this flagrant copy of its Passport.
    11-18-19 06:53 PM
    You really need to let go of this delusion. There is no money to be made on BlackBerry keyboard IP by anyone other than BlackBerry or the licensees making BlackBerry branded devices. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

If that letter even exists...and I have my doubts...it was little more than a feeble demonstration that BlackBerry's highly paid IP monetization department is doing *something* in the face of this flagrant copy of its Passport.
    I'm not delusion as I have said a number of times that I don't know if it would be viable, or if there would necessarily be any takers. But I'm not sure why you believe (out-of-hand) a BlackBerry keyboard could never work outside of a BlackBerry-branded device.

If the tax got down to $10 instead of $50 or so, it would present more options and opportunities to a prospective OEM. I know I would certainly be interested. I'd also wager that if it was the only option on the table, you might be too.

If you don't think I would like nothing more than to have the existing licencing deal with TCL succeed, then you are misunderstanding me. Unfortunately, I've been pretty plugged in to all things BlackBerry for over 10 years, and the indications I get, are that it's not working. So, at the end of the day, I have to be pragmatic and look to the future.
    Last edited by conite; 11-18-19 at 11:00 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-18-19 07:15 PM
149 ... 456