01-15-20 12:30 PM
182 ... 34567 ...
tools
    But BB10 was not an OS that most people were interested in.

Android is.
    Android OS yes, PKB not so much
    11-15-19 02:50 PM
    I'm just shocked that it can take so long to liquidate stock that was built in 2018.
    Well, if the rumored sales numbers are correct, they might need another year to liquidate the remaining stock.
    11-15-19 04:28 PM
    Okay, back to the topic!
    Still no new device leak. Should we have concerns that TCL will not release a new device at MWC, or it technically could be a normal situation and they might release or announce a new device despite the fact of any data leakage absence?
    Well BlackBerry never manged to release a surprise device that I can remember.
    So far all of BBMo devices have shown up at least six months before it was available for purchase.

They could have a prototype device at MWC that will be released later in the year. But not sure what they gain by not letting anything leak or show signs that they aren't walking away.

It's going to be tough if they show up at MWC without a new product or without PIE for the KEY2s....
    11-15-19 04:29 PM
    Well, if the rumored sales numbers are correct, they might need another year to liquidate the remaining stock.
    What are the rumored sales numbers?
    11-15-19 05:12 PM
    I agree....

But then BlackBerry put out Radar, and I have to wonder how much money there is in that? We use assist tracking and most the cost is in the network connection, the hardware and software are "sorta" thrown in. I really can't see that being a big growth business for BlackBerry as it's a pretty crowded field that is dominated by three of four big players and then by the carriers themselves in some cases (Verizon). None of whom seemed to want to use BB hardware so they had to go it alone...

But my guess is it's a loss leader for their IoT, long term goals. So they accept the low volume and margins or even "cost" of the program at this point.
    Yes. They see IoT as a growth industry so are willing to invest in it for the knowledge, experience, relationships and reputation.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-15-19 05:57 PM
    What are the rumored sales numbers?
    https://forums.crackberry.com/news-r...umors-1177487/
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-15-19 06:09 PM
    Thank you sir!
    11-15-19 06:44 PM
    TCL has the booth. The exhibit descriptor lists TCL, Alcatel, BlackBerry and Palm as their brands. Sounds like more of the same. Expect some new TCL hardware and components on display.
    In the German fair the "Blackberry " devices were on display. Maybe they'll have them there too if they haven't sold them all. As I've said, no new model and it's all over barring the announcement.
    11-16-19 01:02 PM
    I'll take BlackBerry keyboard IP any way I can get it.
    I'm leaning towards having the same opinion. Ultimately I would love a KEY3 and a PRIV2 but I'm not positive that's in the cards.

I would like the PKB to be on something other than a Samsung to avoid the bloat but I feel like selling this PKB is going to be the only way we see it 3-5 years down the road.
    11-18-19 09:09 AM
    You have no proof this is true. Furthermore, any further dilution of the BlackBerry offering will be a waste of time and money. "Getting BlackBerry keyboard IP any way one can" is not a business case, it's the dying gasp of hopeless fanboyism.
    In response to dying fanboyism...yes I am a HUGE fan of the PKB and I want to see it live on for years to come. With BlackBerry devices by TCL possibly dying off I don't want the LE and KEY2 to be my last options for PKB devices. I also don't want a non BlackBerry PKB so getting that keyboard on other devices though other manufacturers might be our only option.
    11-18-19 09:15 AM
    In response to dying fanboyism...yes I am a HUGE fan of the PKB and I want to see it live on for years to come. With BlackBerry devices by TCL possibly dying off I don't want the LE and KEY2 to be my last options for PKB devices. I also don't want a non BlackBerry PKB so getting that keyboard on other devices though other manufacturers might be our only option.
    BlackBerry already has a strategy for that. In fact they have an entire department of lawyers dedicated to it. Wait for a competitor to copy it catering to customers such as yourself, sue them for licensing fees...and the BlackBerry IP is paid for and everyone is happy.
    11-18-19 09:38 AM
    BlackBerry already has a strategy for that. In fact they have an entire department of lawyers dedicated to it. Wait for a competitor to copy it catering to customers such as yourself, sue them for licensing fees...and the BlackBerry IP is paid for and everyone is happy.
    They aren't catering to me, I'm using an LE and will until its not longer supported. I'm hearing some sarcasm in your post, still doesn't change the fact I would like to use the BlackBerry PKB for many years to come and not sure what that future looks like.
    11-18-19 09:42 AM
    What year do you expect to see any BB PKB related hardware from anyone in any form?
    11-18-19 09:47 AM
    What year do you expect to see any BB PKB related hardware from anyone in any form?
    That's the thing.. even if someone else makes a PKB, not sure they'll bother with a BlackBerry design at all. TCL could do a PALM PKB pretty easy if they felt there was a PKB market. Samsung, Moto, LG... all have their own designs.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-18-19 10:10 AM
    They aren't catering to me, I'm using an LE and will until its not longer supported. I'm hearing some sarcasm in your post, still doesn't change the fact I would like to use the BlackBerry PKB for many years to come and not sure what that future looks like.
    I am merely pointing out the reality of the business model BlackBerry is pursuing. It is interested in continuing to sell its mobile device IP, software, and branding to its licensees. Bits and pieces of IP and monetizing them is a task for their lawyers: to dredge up lawsuits and generate revenue through the courts. We have already seen numerous examples of this.

Unfortunately, the most likely way you will get a "licensed" BlackBerry keyboard in the future, if the licensing model goes sideways, will be via the BlackBerry legal department. As in someone blatantly copies BlackBerry's keyboard IP and thinks they can get away with it, are litigated against, and forced to pay for it.
    11-18-19 10:21 AM
    As in someone blatantly copies BlackBerry's keyboard IP and thinks they can get away with it, are litigated against, and forced to pay for it.
    Doubtful.

As with the Titan, they just sent a letter suggesting they make changes, and Unihertz complied.
    11-18-19 10:30 AM
    Doubtful.

As with the Titan, they just sent a letter suggesting they make changes, and Unihertz complied.
    You mean the same way they "just sent a letter" to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp and others?

Anyone who is going out of their way to copy BlackBerry, as someone like Unihertz has with their Titan, and is not paying BlackBerry for any licensing fees - is exposing themselves to liability. Let's not kid ourselves. And the BlackBerry of today will welcome that litigation with open arms.

Not to worry. If Unihertz is sued, PKB-above-all-else affecianados can purchase a Titan guilt-free knowing BlackBerry Ltd received their IP money "any way they could".
    11-18-19 11:03 AM
    You mean the same way they "just sent a letter" to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp and others?

Anyone who is going out of their way to copy BlackBerry, as someone like Unihertz has with their Titan, and is not paying BlackBerry for any licensing fees - is exposing themselves to liability. Let's not kid ourselves. And the BlackBerry of today will welcome that litigation with open arms.

Not to worry. If Unihertz is sued, PKB-above-all-else affecianados can purchase a Titan guilt-free knowing BlackBerry Ltd received their IP money "any way they could".
    That's not how it went down.

Unihertz received a letter from BlackBerry detailing what pieces of its proposed keyboard would be subject to possible litigation. Those elements were thusly removed.
    11-18-19 11:07 AM

I doubt anybody wants to pay for the BB IP as Unihertz appeared to make changes to shut BB up. Right now the PKB space appears to small to support paying for partial licensing. Might be time for some VKB practice unfortunately.
    11-18-19 11:09 AM

Unihertz received a letter from BlackBerry detailing what pieces of its proposed keyboard would be subject to possible litigation. Those elements were thusly removed.
    Oh I see. So you work for Unihertz now? Or BlackBerry? How is it you claim to be privy to the details of their legal exposure in this matter?
    11-18-19 11:18 AM
    That's the thing.. even if someone else makes a PKB, not sure they'll bother with a BlackBerry design at all. TCL could do a PALM PKB pretty easy if they felt there was a PKB market. Samsung, Moto, LG... all have their own designs.
    And it would be better than nothing.
    11-18-19 11:39 AM

I'm surprised they didn't order a complete redesign of the keyboard.

To me that indicates that at this point, BBL couldn't care less about hardware.
    11-18-19 11:41 AM

They haven't cared since Chen came on board. They just pretended they did to try and squeeze whatever blood out of that stone they could.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-18-19 11:42 AM
    Oh I see. So you work for Unihertz now? Or BlackBerry? How is it you claim to be privy to the details of their legal exposure in this matter?
    Unihertz said as much.
    11-18-19 11:51 AM

It was capacitive it seemed they wanted to protect.
    11-18-19 11:52 AM
182 ... 34567 ...