01-15-20 12:30 PM
182 ... 23456 ...
tools
    But I think my point is made....

A IP only deal just for the PKB would attract only a fraction of the current fanbase - or BBMo customers. What advantage there would be in a partial savings of the BlackBerry tax, probable would not be enough to attract "new" users to the PKB design. Lower volume would push up the cost....
    If the "tax" goes from $50 per phone to $10 per phone, it might make it viable.

I'm just saying that's the only chance to ever see a BlackBerry keyboard again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way convinced it would be viable. This is Plan Z - the last hope.
    11-15-19 10:00 AM
    If the "tax" goes from $50 per phone to $10 per phone, it might make it viable.

I'm just saying that's the only chance to ever see a BlackBerry keyboard again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way convinced it would be viable.
    But with your high profile Ambassador position, saying negative comments like “you’re not convinced of it’s viability” has just doomed the very idea and relegated to BlackBerry stillborn products status at best.

LOL - what’s profit motive go to do with it? Sung by Tina at TCL board meeting right before CEO disappears like memories before Mao to over
    11-15-19 10:06 AM

A IP only deal just for the PKB would attract only a fraction of the current fanbase - or BBMo customers. What advantage there would be in a partial savings of the BlackBerry tax, probable would not be enough to attract "new" users to the PKB design. Lower volume would push up the cost....
    While for example a "TCL KEYsomething with a keyboard by BB" would not attract those who only want a PKB if it has the BB name on it, it should open up the doors to those who WOULD consider a PKB device as long as the toxic "BlackBerry" name stays far away from it.
    Besides, I still believe the PKB was and is the main selling point for the KEY phones, much more so than BBAndroid itself is (see the miserable failure of the Motion)
    11-15-19 10:09 AM
    But with your high profile Ambassador position, saying negative comments like “you’re not convinced of it’s viability” has just doomed the very idea and relegated to BlackBerry stillborn products status at best.

LOL - what’s profit motive go to do with it? Sung by Tina at TCL board meeting right before CEO disappears like memories before Mao to over
    It's all part of my conspiracy of one.
    11-15-19 10:11 AM
    Just remember you’re OG - aka Old Guard around here
    11-15-19 10:12 AM
    Obviously the current licencing structure doesn't work, and we won't see the entire BlackBerry Secure / keyboard / brand package again.
    You have no proof this is true. Furthermore, any further dilution of the BlackBerry offering will be a waste of time and money. "Getting BlackBerry keyboard IP any way one can" is not a business case, it's the dying gasp of hopeless fanboyism.
    11-15-19 10:27 AM
    So you’re advocating for no PKB if nobody else wants to license the whole BBAndroid package?

While I don’t think BB would license the PKB alone, I don’t think we’re going to see BB licensing continue. We beggars can’t be choosers.
    I'm advocating nothing more than the fact BBMo *exists* as an entity, and it is still selling devices. If you don't believe the model is viable in the long term, that is your opinion.
    11-15-19 10:52 AM
    I'm advocating nothing more than the fact BBMo *exists* as an entity, and it is still selling devices. If you don't believe the model is viable in the long term, that is your opinion.
    I’d love for it to be the opposite. The decline in support and retail availability from KEYone to Key2 LE suggests otherwise.
    11-15-19 10:59 AM
    Sure BBMo still "exists" and its possible they work out the issues with BB and still release another device even. Most all evidence just doesnt point that direction. I see them riding out the contract for the next 2 years with no more money put forward to the endeavour. No harm no foul to anyone really except for the 500k consumers that bought the devices and no further OS development and maybe longer periods between security updates.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-15-19 at 11:26 AM.
    11-15-19 11:00 AM
    You have no proof this is true. Furthermore, any further dilution of the BlackBerry offering will be a waste of time and money. "Getting BlackBerry keyboard IP any way one can" is not a business case, it's the dying gasp of hopeless fanboyism.
    Let's just assume, for argument sake, that I'm right about the non-viability of the current package.

Would you rather see a BlackBerry keyboard in the future, or nothing from them at all given the choice?
    tnewton3 likes this.
    11-15-19 11:07 AM
    Oh it's much more than one.... for some reason you are taking the hit. Thank you for that.

A year ago you were right there with marsellus - everything was good. As that was BBMo's message - the evidence was a lot more circumspect at that point. That it took you being knocked on the head to be "concerned" was giving BBMo the benefit of the doubt. I really don't know why at this point you are the target of some here.
    11-15-19 11:42 AM
    Oh it's much more than one.... for some reason you are taking the hit. Thank you for that.

A year ago you were right there with marsellus - everything was good. As that was BBMo's message - the evidence was a lot more circumspect at that point. That it took you being knocked on the head to be "concerned" was giving BBMo the benefit of the doubt. I really don't know why at this point you are the target of some here.
    Lol. Ya.

Although I won't say I didn't have legitimate concerns at the time. I just need to see a tangible event to corroborate rumours before I jump in with both feet.
    11-15-19 11:45 AM

I think some readers here think transactionally that a little money is better than no money. But strategically, If it's not a growth business, it's either got to offer great margins or it's simply a distraction.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-15-19 11:57 AM
    Lol. Ya.

Although I won't say I didn't have legitimate concerns at the time. I just need to see a tangible event to corroborate rumours before I jump in with both feet.
    As a fellow skeptic, I've also been accused of having an agenda aligned to some conspiracy simply because I don't try to read tea leaves or treat possible or even likely future outcomes as definite and inevitable. I for one never read any of your statements as being overly optimistic or sunny. You simply stated the facts that, at the time, BlackBerry Mobile hadn't failed to meet any actual commitments and that you, personally, wouldn't become concerned unless Android Pie wasn't delivery this fall.

I honestly don't understand how someone can read the statement, "There is no conclusive proof of A" as "A is false!" But, obviously, some people do.

11-15-19 12:05 PM
    I think some readers here think transactionally that a little money is better than no money. But strategically, If it's not a growth business, it's either got to offer great margins or it's simply a distraction.

I agree....

But then BlackBerry put out Radar, and I have to wonder how much money there is in that? We use assist tracking and most the cost is in the network connection, the hardware and software are "sorta" thrown in. I really can't see that being a big growth business for BlackBerry as it's a pretty crowded field that is dominated by three of four big players and then by the carriers themselves in some cases (Verizon). None of whom seemed to want to use BB hardware so they had to go it alone...

But my guess is it's a loss leader for their IoT, long term goals. So they accept the low volume and margins or even "cost" of the program at this point.
    11-15-19 12:26 PM
    Sure BBMo still "exists" and its possible they work out the issues with BB and still release another device even.
    Thank you
    11-15-19 12:37 PM
    Thank you
    You avoided the part where he indicated that the evidence however doesn't point in that direction.

But no doubt, we'd all love to see it.
    11-15-19 12:57 PM
    Let's just assume, for argument sake, that I'm right about the non-viability of the current package.

Would you rather see a BlackBerry keyboard in the future, or nothing from them at all given the choice?
    Thank you
    You didn't answer my question. Just curious if given the hypothetical binary decision which you would go with.
    11-15-19 01:00 PM
    Okay, back to the topic!
    Still no new device leak. Should we have concerns that TCL will not release a new device at MWC, or it technically could be a normal situation and they might release or announce a new device despite the fact of any data leakage absence?
    11-15-19 01:13 PM
    You didn't answer my question.
    So what? Am I entitled to engage you on this, or any other topic here?

You can feel free to take BlackBerry keyboard IP "any way you can". Discussion of *that* possibility for the future of "BlackBerry" devices is not an alternate universe I find remotely gratifying, let alone plausible.
    11-15-19 01:19 PM
    So what? Am I entitled to engage you on this, or any other topic here?

You can feel free to take BlackBerry keyboard IP "any way you can". Discussion of *that* possibility for the future of "BlackBerry" devices is not an alternate universe I find remotely gratifying, let alone plausible.
    Of course you don't. Just wondering what your thoughts were if all of the signs become reality and the existing deal with TCL collapses as have the other two licencing deals already.
    Last edited by conite; 11-15-19 at 01:43 PM.
    11-15-19 01:22 PM
    My biggest concern is not the lack of announcement or leak, but that BlackBerry Mobile doesn't appear to have a booth.

I’ve come back to your original post. Since you’re concerned there’s no separate booth, do you feel this means the BBMo project is winding down or isn’t supported enough to be successful or something else?
    11-15-19 02:17 PM
    I'm just shocked that it can take so long to liquidate stock that was built in 2018.
    11-15-19 02:29 PM
    I'm just shocked that it can take so long to liquidate stock that was built in 2018.
    That’s what people said about BB10 hardware three years later
    11-15-19 02:46 PM
    That’s what people said about BB10 hardware three years later
    But BB10 was not an OS that most people were interested in.

Android is.
    11-15-19 02:49 PM
182 ... 23456 ...