11-12-17 09:22 PM
57 123
tools
    It would be a surprise. Porsche seems to have jumped ship, and although I really wish Blackberry had some pkb with a large screen to replace the Priv (along with a better name), I just don't see it happening. I looked at the KeyOne and cannot see going to a smaller screen, and in fact, need to look for a larger screen because of a lazy left eye. I found the width of the Passport helped alleviate my condiction a great deal, so unless a miracle happens soon, I'll have to see what the competitors offer.
    poloandpearls likes this.
    07-20-17 06:45 AM
    I keep looking for some information on an upcoming touch device to replace some DTEK 50's and 60's but seems very quiet everywhere I look.
    08-14-17 10:36 AM
    Yup just cobwebs in this part of the forums these days.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 04:26 PM
    I check here periodically and it's like a ghost town. My Priv has been freezing a lot lately. I've been checking out the Note8 and V30, or perhaps an S8+. It's sad because I really like the Priv design (other than that stupid pointless speaker grill that just collects dust and has one crappy speaker), but I don't use the physical keyboard and only slide the screen up for scrolling on the keyboard. It's more of a parlor trick than anything.
    08-21-17 11:57 PM
    I'm with you...love the Priv but the freezing, the overheating and the poor battery performance are pushing me to the end. I'm hoping for an announcement of a new premium phone with or without a PKB at the IFA coming up in two weeks, but if all they announce is a black KeyOne I'm heading out to get an S8+, time is up.
    08-23-17 03:22 PM
    It's not inconceivable that a further device could be mentioned at IFA Berlin in just over a week. BlackBerry Mobile don't seem to have an aversion to teasers and prototypes!
    08-24-17 09:36 AM
    Sorry to learn that since Passport is great and now I want another PKB maybe not Keyone though
    What is wrong with KEYone. This is such a great phone. Only BlackBerry in a ve...ry long time that has positive reviews across the board.
    08-24-17 09:41 AM
    I'm with you...love the Priv but the freezing, the overheating and the poor battery performance are pushing me to the end. I'm hoping for an announcement of a new premium phone with or without a PKB at the IFA coming up in two weeks, but if all they announce is a black KeyOne I'm heading out to get an S8+, time is up.
    I wish someone would explain to me why anyone would consider purchase of a Blackberry phone without physical keyboard when other phones of lesser cost and higher quality are available in the slab category??

Sent from my STV100-1 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-24-17 10:08 AM
    Lack of bloatware is reason number one, a little extra security is reason number two and Blackberry hub and additional blackberry software included is number three.
    jurgvonschmurg likes this.
    08-24-17 10:11 AM
    I wish someone would explain to me why anyone would consider purchase of a Blackberry phone without physical keyboard when other phones of lesser cost and higher quality are available in the slab category??

Niche products are always more money. Everyone thinks it's crazy except for the people who want them.
    08-24-17 11:02 AM
    Niche products are always more money. Everyone thinks it's crazy except for the people who want them.
    I totally agree with that but what I wonder is why anyone would consider buying a slab from Blackberry meaning a phone that does not have a physical keyboard what with all the difficulties that heating the screen popping the battery issues the leg and all the company degradation in many quarters it seems to me one would need to be a little bit nuts to want to buy a flat phone with no Blackberry unique feature which means physical keyboard from Blackberry. I would buy any other phone but Blackberry if it were not for the uniqueness of the keyboard which I require and therefore I pay for.

08-24-17 02:17 PM
    I totally agree with that but what I wonder is why anyone would consider buying a slab from Blackberry meaning a phone that does not have a physical keyboard what with all the difficulties that heating the screen popping the battery issues the leg and all the company degradation in many quarters it seems to me one would need to be a little bit nuts to want to buy a flat phone with no Blackberry unique feature which means physical keyboard from Blackberry. I would buy any other phone but Blackberry if it were not for the uniqueness of the keyboard which I require and therefore I pay for.

Likely BlackBerry mobile slabs are going to be rebranded alcatels so not a whole lot will be invested into them and it's just a larger market for TCL. The Priv/KEYᵒᶰᵉ are BlackBerry parent designed phones (supposedly) and they come with their own unique problems that won't be mirrored in rebranded alcatels. I would bank on the reputation of Alcatel phones for the slabs over the PKB devices.

There seems to be enough people here interested in a BlackBerry slab and rebranding another device is probably the most profitable way of going about; TCL is in the position to do this. I think they would be wise to focus on 1 PKB as their poster device and rebrand a mid range and flagship for slabs. Look at alcatels current offerings and you'll see the future of BlackBerry slabs
    08-24-17 09:39 PM
    I have been using my z30 for almost 4 years, and would welcome a BlackBerry branded replacement which gives me the full look and feel of BB10 but in a secured Android environment. No PBK required.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 06:32 AM
    The KeyOne is a good phone but for less than $200 more you can get a MUCH better phone with a premium processor and display and download the Blackberry software on to a much more powerful platform that will last two years at least. I anticipate that the K1 will start lagging once all the apps I require are downloaded and used for a few months. Just not worth taking the chance, if it had the latest 835 processor as the premium phones are equipped with today I would have already bought it. If the announcement they make this week is for a premium phone, I'm in....if not I'm off to an S8, first non Blackberry phone for me in over ten years.
    08-26-17 11:36 AM
    well if a slab is coming, they should focus on products like oneplus 5, nokia 8 or Xiaomi Mi Note. I don't believe TCL can compete with Samsung or Apple at any point.
    08-29-17 06:50 AM
    well if a slab is coming, they should focus on products like oneplus 5, nokia 8 or Xiaomi Mi Note. I don't believe TCL can compete with Samsung or Apple at any point.
    Isn't that what TCL does already with their Alcatel brand in some countries as well as other branded phones they sell in their base markets?
    08-29-17 06:54 AM
    Isn't that what TCL does already with their Alcatel brand in some countries as well as other branded phones they sell in their base markets?
    I think Blackberry brand and software would be a better choice. No matter what the name is better in Europe and Asia.
    08-29-17 07:12 AM
    The brand was about getting TCL better exposure into US carriers than previously with the Alcatel brand. Alcatel brand has been mostly prepaid and BlackBerry will hopefully be more postpaid.
    08-30-17 08:47 PM
    Sure making a BlackBerry slab would be better because that's what majority of the market uses, but in slabs TCL will have no edge in the competition that is being dominated by Samsung and Apple. And if it's not them, then it's LG, Motorola, Google Nexus/Pixel, and other Chinese brands. BlackBerry is a name that has become obsolete over the years, sadly.
    09-09-17 05:05 AM
    Sure making a BlackBerry slab would be better because that's what majority of the market uses, but in slabs TCL will have no edge in the competition that is being dominated by Samsung and Apple. And if it's not them, then it's LG, Motorola, Google Nexus/Pixel, and other Chinese brands. BlackBerry is a name that has become obsolete over the years, sadly.
    That's why the PKB was first. BB's niche PKB market is probably bigger than their focus outside of the niche with the big players. In the niche they're king but outside it's just another slab that can't compete.
    09-09-17 09:24 AM
    That's why the PKB was first. BB's niche PKB market is probably bigger than their focus outside of the niche with the big players. In the niche they're king but outside it's just another slab that can't compete.
    Unless they make their slab completely unique in looks, I don't think they'll do well. They should use OLED display with high quality aluminum body because it seems like Samsung is getting sloppy with their phones and making them look like cheap plastics rather than anything premium.
    09-09-17 01:21 PM
    Unless they make their slab completely unique in looks, I don't think they'll do well. They should use OLED display with high quality aluminum body because it seems like Samsung is getting sloppy with their phones and making them look like cheap plastics rather than anything premium.
    A quality slab is still a slab. It easy to be king of PKB when you're the only one but in the slab market, regardless what you dress it up with, it's still a slab. There's nothing wrong with that it just means a whole lot bigger competitive market.
    09-09-17 11:35 PM
    Sorry to learn that since Passport is great and now I want another PKB maybe not Keyone though
    I understand that very is morning over the issue of passport it may be coming to Android in a slightly different variation
    09-11-17 02:41 AM
    I understand that very is morning over the issue of passport it may be coming to Android in a slightly different variation
    How did you come to understand this? (LINK)

Been a lot of wishing for such a device here... but many explanations as to why it's probable not going to happen.
    09-11-17 07:38 AM
    How did you come to understand this? (LINK)

Been a lot of wishing for such a device here... but many explanations as to why it's probable not going to happen.
    There is a huge stock of BlackBerry passports brand new, sitting on Warehouse shelves, they are not going to sell very easily with the old BlackBerry operating system. However they are still good for running Android with some minor modifications; upgraded memory and upgraded processor. If it is indeed to run Android as we know it.

The re-coding of the operating system for the Samsung Galaxy S8 was done as a collaboration between Samsung and blackberry.

There are a good number of rumours about a new operating system that is believed to be worked on by blackberry and Samsung and since Google seems to be separately interested one themselves they are likely to be on board as well.
    Their alleged new operating system may well be the same one.

Samsung have a number of BlackBerry passports which they would not otherwise need and these are being used by their test Labs and have been seen as such but nobody knows what they are running.
    Last edited by Neville A Daniels; 09-11-17 at 08:47 PM.
    09-11-17 07:48 AM
57 123