07-26-10 08:45 AM
38 12
tools
    Do some research. Qualcomm had 2 LTE/GSM/CDMA chips available in 2009 and one avail early 2010. MDM 9200, MDM 9600, and MSM 8630. By end of this year, early 2011 you'll start seeing LTE devices. Of course they will still have GSM/CDMA but that is the strength of LTE in that it can seamlessly hand off to 3G tech.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-10 07:42 AM
    read my post... first "approved" LTE device... not talking chips, not talking prototypes... READ
    02-03-10 09:12 AM
    read my post... first "approved" LTE device... not talking chips, not talking prototypes... READ
    Okay, I just don't understand what a device being certified by Japan's Telec service has to do with the time-lines for LTE roll-out and Device implementation in North America. Or anywhere else outside of Japan for that matter.

It's like saying we should see VZW launch LTE any day now since Switzerland is now LTE.

02-03-10 12:08 PM
    point is, we're typically YEARS behind Japan when it comes to implementing stuff... they had 3G all the was back in 2001 iirc... maybe the gap between us and them will be shorter for LTE, but point is, north america is usually quite far behind... so essentially, I personally wouldn't be holding my breath on an LTE Blackberry... let alone bet on when we'll actually have a functioning LTE network here in the first place... Again, I hope I'm wrong and it's sooner than later...
    02-03-10 03:01 PM
    point is, we're typically YEARS behind Japan when it comes to implementing stuff... they had 3G all the was back in 2001 iirc... maybe the gap between us and them will be shorter for LTE, but point is, north america is usually quite far behind... so essentially, I personally wouldn't be holding my breath on an LTE Blackberry... let alone bet on when we'll actually have a functioning LTE network here in the first place... Again, I hope I'm wrong and it's sooner than later...
    There are several posts and articles out there backing up the "thirty major markets by end of 2010" theory. Stop being a pessimist and listen to The Engine. Dudes smart.

02-04-10 08:42 AM
    There are several posts and articles out there backing up the "thirty major markets by end of 2010" theory. Stop being a pessimist and listen to The Engine. Dudes smart.

::Sniffs:: That's the first time anyone ever called me Smart.

In Truth I did not understand what he was getting at about Japan, but I do now. He's right that NA is usually far behind the rest of the world on Cell Technology. So it is fair to be suspicious of the time lines. But consider this: VodaPhone owns like 48% of VZW. That is a big part of why they are going LTE, which more of a progression from GSM then it is from CDMA as I understand it. Also that is why they are going now, and not next year when AT&T and others plan to start.

So in truth NA carriers would all be 2-5 years behind, but I am thinking VodaPhone put some foot to A$$ with VZW and LTE.

The guy I know who is running parts of that project for VZW says that nothing gets in his way. If any roadblocks occur he can escalate to any one of 4 executives to step in and regulate. He also has to answer to those same 4 execs regarding their progress, so it is a blessing and a curse. VZW is very serious about this.

I first heard about the S3 being LTE months ago over on the blackberry zone. The guys running that site always had a lot of good inside info. Remember Radio Guinea? Not sure if that site is still up, but one of their moderators said it, and it seems that BBLeaks and J Levy both just confirmed this.
    02-04-10 11:32 AM
    you could have just revealed all that in the first place!
    02-04-10 11:41 AM
    My post back on page 2 at the top has some of that. But Yes, I could have been clearer. Just never want to sound like a Know it all! When clearly I don't! LOL
    02-04-10 12:00 PM
    well Japan just came out with the first approved LTE device... so that should mean we'll see an LTE BB around, oh, 2014...

Japan certifies its first LTE device, LG says 'whoa, ours?' -- Engadget
    Did you notice that that article said that that same device was approved by the FCC (i.e. approved in the U.S.) last year?
    02-04-10 12:41 PM
    Did you notice that that article said that that same device was approved by the FCC (i.e. approved in the U.S.) last year?
    touch.
    02-04-10 01:05 PM
    makes me smile deep down reading all of this. my contract doesn't end until this time next year, so i'll keep my fingers crossed on a true qwerty lte bb q1/q2 2011.

If the new model has lte (3/4G), maybe a trackpad, the size and full faux leather of a 9000, and a updated os maybe? Sounds good to me!
    Last edited by Big Spartacus; 02-09-10 at 12:59 AM.
    02-08-10 09:49 PM
    Any updates on this?
    05-10-10 11:56 PM
    I've been looking to get a signal booster for my house. Should I wait since the ones I've seen aren't LTE compatible? Would hate to buy one and then it not work a year later. The one in particular I've been looking at is the one on Crutchfield. EZ-Boost I think it is.
    07-26-10 08:45 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD