12-03-11 10:47 AM
48 12
tools
    4G BlackBerry in Early 2012 - Yahoo! Finance
    Zacks Equity Research, On Tuesday August 30, 2011, 8:00 am EDT
    A recent report in Light Reading stated that several analysts are expecting the beleaguered smartphone manufacturer Research In Motion Ltd. (NasdaqGS: RIMM - News) to launch its first 4G BlackBerry smarthone in the first quarter of 2012. At present, Research In Motion is developing super-fast Long Term Evolution (LTE) network based BlackBerry, which will run on QNX operating system. The company is also expected to enter into a carrier partnership with Verizon Wireless, a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE: VZ - News) and Vodafone Group plc. (NasdaqGS: VOD - News), and also with AT&T (NYSE: T - News), provided the carrier started offering LTE by that time.

Earlier, Research In Motion postponed the launch of its 4G LTE enabled PlayBook tablets till the third quarter of 2011. PlayBook also runs on QNX software. Research In Motion is facing severe problems from several fronts. The company is continuously delaying new products introduction, facing an ever increasing competitive landscape, a stagnant product portfolio, and an unfavorable product mix.

Ever since Apple Inc.s (NasdaqGS: AAPL - News) iPhone hit the market, Research In Motion started losing its leadership position. For the last couple of years, the company failed to launch any device that could capture the market from iPhone or Google Inc. (NasdaqGS: GOOG - News) developed Android-based high-end smartphones. It seems management is doing research in slow motion as the company failed to understand the changing tastes and preferences of the consumers. Meanwhile, the market becomes intensely competitive with the emergence of several low-cost Asian phone developers.

In this critical situation, it is very much necessary for Research In Motion to launch high-end BlackBerry as early as possible to capture the initial momentum of the market. LTE is an emerging technology throughout the world including the U.S. An early launch of innovative LTE-capable smartphone may help the company to regain some of its lost glories in the market.
    09-01-11 09:02 AM
    I'd be really surprised if the 1st QNX BB was LTE. They just don't seem to do things that way. I hope they do! Think about it, an OS that doesn't need app developers to go back and update every app everytime there's upgrade to the system. Add in the Android app player and WE'RE rockin' it in real BB STYLE! (not to be confused with another low end product). I need something good to keep me from going to the dark side.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 01:01 PM
    CDMA/EVDO/1XEV isn't LTE. Sprint hasn't even made the transition to wimax as far as I know, both are on CDMA.

Maybe they've increased speeds, but it sure isn't EVDO Rev. B. or EVDO Rev. C or anything else. Cannot talk and surf at the same time unless something equivalent to GSM's 3G is implemented, that doesn't count the benefits of WI-FI either.

09-01-11 06:44 PM
    I'm pretty sure most cdma user understand the difference. That's why we are hoping for LTE. Not that LTE is supposed to allow talk/surf capabilities, which it does, but for shear speed of data. Currently, nothing else compares to Verizon LTE speed.

09-02-11 04:14 AM
    CDMA/EVDO/1XEV isn't LTE. Sprint hasn't even made the transition to wimax as far as I know, both are on CDMA.

What do you mean? Who said CDMA/EVDO/1XEV is LTE??
    09-02-11 05:43 AM
    i'll believe it when i see it
    Speczorz and drjay868 like this.
    09-02-11 12:49 PM
    i'll believe it when i see it
    Rim has been developing LTE for over 3 years now...they can only implement it when it is efficient for the platform (battery). Next year the LTE networks will all be up and running. Good time to implement it then
    09-02-11 10:38 PM
    Rim has been developing LTE for over 3 years now...they can only implement it when it is efficient for the platform (battery). Next year the LTE networks will all be up and running. Good time to implement it then
    I think you meant the carriers.

09-02-11 11:39 PM
    I think you meant the carriers.

Sorry...I meant the LTE blanket will fully cover most of NA...RIM has been working on LTE at their end for 3+ years
    09-03-11 12:26 AM
    I call BULLSH*T. They CHOSE not to implement it. I've been loyal to RIM and BB, theyve more interested in pushing low end products out to the world market. They took the US consumer for granted.

09-03-11 06:21 AM
    I call BULLSH*T. They CHOSE not to implement it. I've been loyal to RIM and BB, theyve more interested in pushing low end products out to the world market. They took the US consumer for granted.

You're right. They *CHOSE* not to implement it because no one wants to carry around a 2 cm thick handset that is 3/4 battery, and because 4G LTE coverage is not widely available.

First off, for the amount of data that a blackberry actually uses HSPA+ is plenty fast. Will 4G be nice to have? Sure ... but of all the complaints we could level at RIM this would seem to be more of the trivial variety.

Second, the US is the only market with any kind of uniform 4G LTE coverage, and it is still immature at that. I think RIM is smart to hold off until 4G LTE is more widely available worldwide.
    09-03-11 10:13 AM
    yes sir, u are correct. i know RIM has been working with LTE technology for years. the reason i say "I'll believe it when i see it" is because this is RIM we are talking about here....they take their sweet time with everything. not saying theyre at fault because apple hasnt released a LTE device but i just dont believe the first QNX device will be 4G. will one be released next year??? yeah sure but i dont think the first one will be 4G. Also, when u say its because they are waiting for it to be efficient for the platform, i ask if people truly believe that RIM phones are going to last that much longer than android counterparts, or get anywhere near the battery life that their other phones get. I do believe it'll be ok battery life but i think RIM is going to perform a miracle and i just dont see that happening.

of coarse this is all just my opinion. im rooting for RIM but i still say I'll believe it when i see it
    dobiefan likes this.
    09-03-11 12:10 PM
    You're right. They *CHOSE* not to implement it because no one wants to carry around a 2 cm thick handset that is 3/4 battery, and because 4G LTE coverage is not widely available.

First off, for the amount of data that a blackberry actually uses HSPA+ is plenty fast. Will 4G be nice to have? Sure ... but of all the complaints we could level at RIM this would seem to be more of the trivial variety.

Second, the US is the only market with any kind of uniform 4G LTE coverage, and it is still immature at that. I think RIM is smart to hold off until 4G LTE is more widely available worldwide.
    I need to preface this with "I am a BB fan that has quit drinking the kool-aid, I want a Berry but, tired of the excuses"
    #1. the droid bionic is .4 mm thick (.01 mm THINNER than the thinnest BB ever). Rim might not be able to do it, everybody else can.
    #2. cdma doesn't use hspa+. so you've just aliented the largest carrier carrier in the US and the 3rd (I believe)
    you can say RIM is smart for neglecting the premature LTE market, just don't expect to get those customers back. IPHONE makes 1 cellphone, I understand them waiting on LTE market size to increase. Blackberry makes a 1/2 dozen models. As you say, theyve been working on LTE for 3 years and decided NONE of their customers are interested in a faster web experience. They missed the the US consumer market because the FACTS say US consumers ARE wanting bigger faster multimedia experiences with more apps.

I don't want to argue because we ARE on the same team. I am just tired of hearing excuses for RIM's business model. They are a phone Mfg and have sold millions of phones throughout the world at the expense of market share in the US.
    I've no reason not to believe Google will increase their security BEFORE Rim can upgrade their hardware to competitive levels. In all honesty the specs only compare favorably to other BB's. the 9900-9930 specs are similar to my 2 year old, discontinued droid X.
    I NEED a QNX LTE BlackBerry, nothing else will satisfy.
    Last edited by greeneink; 09-03-11 at 01:59 PM.
    Rello and Azeron like this.
    09-03-11 01:43 PM
    I need to preface this with "I am a BB fan that has quit drinking the kool-aid, I want a Berry but, tired of the excuses"
    #1. the droid bionic is .4 mm thick (.01 mm THINNER than the thinnest BB ever). Rim might not be able to do it, everybody else can.
    #2. cdma doesn't use hspa+. so you've just aliented the largest carrier carrier in the US and the 3rd (I believe)
    you can say RIM is smart for neglecting the premature LTE market, just don't expect to get those customers back. IPHONE makes 1 cellphone, I understand them waiting on LTE market size to increase. Blackberry makes a 1/2 dozen models. As you say, theyve been working on LTE for 3 years and decided NONE of their customers are interested in a faster web experience. They missed the the US consumer market because the FACTS say US consumers ARE wanting bigger faster multimedia experiences with more apps.

I don't want to argue because we ARE on the same team. I am just tired of hearing excuses for RIM's business model. They are a phone Mfg and have sold millions of phones throughout the world at the expense of market share in the US.
    I've no reason not to believe Google will increase their security BEFORE Rim can upgrade their hardware to competitive levels. In all honesty the specs only compare favorably to other BB's. the 9900-9930 specs are similar to my 2 year old, discontinued droid X.
    I NEED a QNX LTE BlackBerry, nothing else will satisfy.
    i agree with this. i understand that people keep saying that rim wants the battery life to be there but if theyve been working with lte tech for so many years, i would believe it should be ready by now. then along with that, why cant RIM give us choice??? they can release 15 thousand low end models with the same specs but different form factors but they cant give us one lte powerhouse. i would venture to say that not everyone absolutely needs their device to last two days. there are lte android devices that the tech sites are saying are getting some good battery life so if rim has been dealing with this tech for all these years, then where are the results.

now i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to tech and i understand there are many things that go into these different techs and releasing devices, but as someone who has been a RIM fan for a long time, sometimes its gets difficult always being told to wait for the next big thing
    Azeron likes this.
    09-03-11 03:12 PM
    i agree with this. i understand that people keep saying that rim wants the battery life to be there but if theyve been working with lte tech for so many years, i would believe it should be ready by now.
    They've been working on Cold Fusion for decades. still doesn't mean it's ready.
    09-03-11 04:13 PM
    yes u are correct but i guess im looking at it from the perspective that while yes i do want rim to "get it right", i guess i just cant seem them having battery life that are just that much better than the competitions when some sites have stated that there are lte devices out now that are getting good battery life. like i said earlier, im hoping that RIM really surprises me but i just cant see the battery life of their devices being crazy good
    09-03-11 04:52 PM
    Of course, LTE just exists in US! In Europe/Asia many countries have LTE implemented just jet!

09-04-11 03:50 AM
    you can say RIM is smart for neglecting the premature LTE market, just don't expect to get those customers back.
    While some might mention the thickness of devices, that is not the deciding factor with regards to why rim haven't introduced an lte device, it is mainly because battery life is so ****ty with the current gen of lte chipsets, once the next generation show up that combine an lte radio with either hspa+ or cdma then you will see them come out with an lte model since the battery life will be quite a lot better.

Another reason for them not bringing out an lte model right now would be the limited demand, for it to be cost-effective for them to bring one out right now including a lot of implementing the extra radio stack they would want a certain level of order from Verizon and the odds are that Verizon are happy with the 9930 and 9850 models right now and have a few android handsets for anyone who feels the need for lte right now.

As far as them not getting people back who have left for lte, that is definitely not the case because those are clearly people who have left for a particular feature or spec item and as such are far more likely to be willing to move from android to a blackberry, iphone or even wp7 if a device catches their eye in the future.
    09-04-11 09:24 AM
    I'm just so pissed about this whole deal. I was told a long time ago that the next Storm released would support LTE and would be available in Nov... then it was Sept. and now the rumored Storm 3 is released as the Torch 9850... and no LTE. Only benefit I have from going from my Storm 2 to the Torch 9850 is a 5mp camera and 16gb memory... which I'm getting along just fine with my 3.2mp camera and my 256mb memory. Looks like I'll be waiting another year... ridiculous.
    09-10-11 11:54 PM
    Current generation chip-sets are not there yet - mainly the size (need 3 radios and not all handsets are 4.3"+), cost and battery life. come next year most of the major vendors like RIM and Apple will start adapting new LTE chipsets. Marvell just released a LTE chipset this week, so far Qualcom is the only major vendor providing LTE chip-sets. And not to forget Motorola Bionic and HTC Thunderbolt are not world phones unlike Blackberries.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 09-11-11 at 12:59 AM.
    09-11-11 12:09 AM
    While LTE has a higher theoretical rate it doesn't work that way in the real world, is still unreliable and the battery life is awful. Have a look at this MSNBC real world test, T-Mobile HSPA+ actually leaves LTE in the dust. And remember, T-Mobile is now rolling out their 42Mbps HSPA+ network which will be even faster. I would rather have that with long battery life than LTE.
    Putting 4G to the speed test - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-11-11 06:13 AM
    a lot of people have their head in the sand about this issue. VZN LTE is very fast. i have used on on 2 droids and now have the 9930, coupled with a stand along 4G mi fi.

walk in to almost any vzn store and tell them you want a smartphone. see how many even mention the word blackberry. try and pull up wi fi in a vzn store. you will get dozens of droid hotspots because all of their employees are using droids.

the bottom line is that the lack of BB's with LTE has caused RIM to lose it's support from the US's largest carrier. Even with the new OS7's, BB's occupy a very small display area at vzn retail. Droids are everywhere.

VZN is all about promoting their 4G LTE network. Look at how they spends their advetising dollars.

The about article is intersting, however, in that a joint venture with vzn would go along way towards getting RIM back on it's feet. I may even buy some stock next week
    Last edited by chiplatham; 09-11-11 at 07:52 AM.
    Azeron likes this.
    09-11-11 07:50 AM
    How is it having their head in the sand to mention the flaws in the current versions of LTE which are that HSPA+ can match or beat its speed and can do so without clobbering your battery life?

Also, Verizon stopped pushing blackberries long before they had even a sniff of their LTE network launching, it makes far more sense for them to push their droid rebranding of android over anything else because it reduces the importance of the hardware makers since they will be able to play one off against another to get better pricing from them since the droid-branded devices will get advertised more often.
    09-11-11 09:42 AM
    I also don't think the LTE technology is mature as yet, remember there have been multiple outages this year. I think HSPA+ is more reliable.
    09-11-11 11:14 AM
    i see both sides.

i guess im just ready to see RIM innovate again. i know they still got it in them.

just throw me my lte qnx blackberry RIM
    09-11-11 11:21 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD