05-22-15 06:07 PM
113 ... 345
tools
    In many ways, I think BlackBerry is in a position of increasing strength. Hardware is unique and the high end devices simply give you more than the competition. BB10 is way better than the competition and devices are priced to sell. PKB, battery life and screen space are all positives. App selection is improving but still needs a bit of work on the consumer side. That is the last issue which holds consumers back just a bit. If this gets fixed as Chen is suggesting, then sales volumes will change accordingly. Things are starting to change.
    Without advertising, none of that matters.
    05-17-15 11:20 AM
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I do want BlackBerry to get off their duff and release this powerful full slab device because loyal BlackBerry users DESERVE to have the devices they want.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, bp22_ca and lnichols like this.
    05-18-15 07:32 PM
    I do want BlackBerry to get off their duff and release this powerful full slab device because loyal BlackBerry users DESERVE to have the devices they want.
    And have it become outdated in a month or two? Sounds like a bad idea.
    05-18-15 08:07 PM
    You're ideas of 'outdated' are outdated.

Smartphones are hitting a ceiling where performance gains are marginal and the screen resolutions are getting ridiculous and unnecessary: battery life and build quality are becoming more important to customers on all platforms as device hardware hits a point where CPU upgrades don't deliver a better UX... and what does BlackBerry do almost better than everyone? Battery life and build quality. BlackBerry devices have better legs than most. We've seen their devices going upmarket so check cynicism or... whatever.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 09:01 PM
    You're ideas of 'outdated' are outdated.

Smartphones are hitting a ceiling where performance gains are marginal and the screen resolutions are getting ridiculous and unnecessary: battery life and build quality are becoming more important to customers on all platforms as device hardware hits a point where CPU upgrades don't deliver a better UX... and what does BlackBerry do almost better than everyone? Battery life and build quality. BlackBerry devices have better legs than most. We've seen their devices going upmarket so check cynicism or... whatever.
    I agree with your point about the hardware plateau. But what does BlackBerry do worse than anyone else? Native app selection.
    05-18-15 09:05 PM
    I agree with your point about the hardware plateau. But what does BlackBerry do worse than anyone else? Native app selection.
    It's a start, I guess?
    If they're smart they are working on an Android phone in a hidden lab somewhere for Plan C3/5.

But not having an all touch flagship definitely hurts BlackBerry.
    The least it does, is chase away loyal BlackBerry users who want something with current tech.
    The worst case would be a scenario in which not having a better phone prevents Android/iOS users from upgrading to a BlackBerry.

Yes the ecosystem is a problem.
    But the device portfolio isn't exactly great either.
    05-18-15 10:43 PM
    Right now I'd rather have something that will be outdated in two months, rather than something that is running three year old SOC at release. BlackBerry should have at least put a Snapdragon 600 in the Leap, quad core, and then it would still have been behind, but an upgrade for existing Z owners. If they do end up going a hypervisor and multiple OS then they are going to have to bump cores and RAM to support it.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 03:36 AM
    And we're back to the chicken and egg again: we can't expect apps to come in quantity until MARKET SHARE increases significantly: a powerful full touch is the best way for BlackBerry to wring short term cash from existing BB10 users but the way for BlackBerry to gain market share is slow:

Continue to make sales to the 'ideal customer': those customers have the kinds of positive experiences we have: the skewed reputation BlackBerry has starts to shift positive: the interest in BB devices broadens outside the "ideal": revenues increase and BlackBerry becomes profitable: consumer sentiment improves: further broadening of BB device appeal as potentially individuals begin to seek BlackBerry out again like in their heyday... THEN the app developers come.

If you can't wait for all that to happen, however long it takes, you really need to abandon BlackBerry Fandom for something less soul destroying like being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-19-15 at 02:21 PM.
    bp22_ca likes this.
    05-19-15 07:53 AM
    If you can't wait for all that to happen,however long it takes, you really need to abandon BlackBerry Fandom for something less soul destroying like being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.
    That's a stretch
    05-19-15 07:56 AM
    If you can't wait for all that to happen, however long it takes, you really need to abandon BlackBerry Fandom for something less soul destroying like being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a CAPS fan and Washington Wizards fan. My soul is crushed annually, and this year was torture! Just waiting for the NATS to F it all up down the stretch for the trifecta.

Posted via CB10
    RyanGermann likes this.
    05-19-15 10:18 AM
    Cisco Jabber is the one we are testing now that we can't use on BB10. I can get the instant Messaging Side and presence to work, but making voice and Video calls with the app doesn't work, crashes the app, etc., but the app works great on iPhones and Androids. Their are plenty of other users here who have had to abandon BlackBerry for iPhone and Android, the examples are all over the forums.

I really like the BB10 OS and platform but BlackBerry has literally put zero effort into making it successful. They just thought they could throw the OS on some devices over the wall and people would buy them and they would sell themselves. If BYOD is replaced with work bought phones, then businesses are not going to flock back to BlackBerry. They will simply buy work issued devices from the competition.

As for the numbers, yeah you win. BlackBerry is too cowardly to release them.

Posted via CB10
    Avaya's IP phone app works like crap on BB10 as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 04:25 AM
    Avaya's IP phone app works like crap on BB10 as well.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah they were our vendor prior to the new contract. They wouldn't develop a BB10 app either. Really sad that business oriented solutions providers won't even develop for BB10 given its market share in business and Government is much higher than consumer side. The iOS Jabber client is pretty awesome for both video and voice. BlackBerry needs to get the Android runtime working flawlessly and get whatever deal with Google in place to make that happen, and secure those apps in the work space. BlackBerry let that Genie out of the bottle prior to the PlayBook and it destroyed native app development. Now they have to work with they created and make it the safest solution possible.

Posted with my Z30
    05-20-15 06:12 AM
    Is a new device compelling enough? I try to ask myself that objectively and discovered I'd rather have a z30 refresh.

Bb10 is still the most efficient os imo. I'd rather see them develop the os at a much quicker pace than push out handsets that aren't really going to change the overall experience.

Fix the app gap. Improve voice recognition. Drastically approve the assistant. Buy a smaller company or develop your own version of something like Google now. Can you imagine how much more awesome it would be with those improvements? Even adding functions similar to the moto assist actions would be amazing!

The whole spec race is even slowing down slightly in the android world. Now they're looking for new gimmicks Ala curved screens etc.

I'm a fan of the BlackBerry platform, not necessarily the handsets. I realize in the past the handsets were a big deal but I'd rather have a better overall experience.

It certainly is frustrating at the slow dribble of information out of BlackBerry but there's not much we can do about it.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:07 PM
113 ... 345