It's called the Leap

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 12:49 AM
    Never seen so many unappreciative and entitled people in the forum in one spot my entire life. If you don't like BlackBerry go somewhere else. Your annoying.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-10-15 12:53 AM
    So the main reason enterprise is moving away from BlackBerry is apps? What kind of apps do they need to use that can't be used on BlackBerry?

So still no numbers to show us? Well, I spoke to a guy, who works for someone, who has a cousin in their I/T dept who says that Z10 sold like crap...does this prove much to you? I didn't think so either. And, of course the dominant product is full touch. Aside from BlackBerry, what else is there to use? That's why the brief BYOD policy has altered the dynamics of what's popular with who. Companies are now finding out the hard way that their whiny employees who want to use their toys...er...phones for work use, isn't what's best for that company. Security and efficiency is, and that's where BlackBerry shines.

Posted via CB10
    Cisco Jabber is the one we are testing now that we can't use on BB10. I can get the instant Messaging Side and presence to work, but making voice and Video calls with the app doesn't work, crashes the app, etc., but the app works great on iPhones and Androids. Their are plenty of other users here who have had to abandon BlackBerry for iPhone and Android, the examples are all over the forums.

I really like the BB10 OS and platform but BlackBerry has literally put zero effort into making it successful. They just thought they could throw the OS on some devices over the wall and people would buy them and they would sell themselves. If BYOD is replaced with work bought phones, then businesses are not going to flock back to BlackBerry. They will simply buy work issued devices from the competition.

As for the numbers, yeah you win. BlackBerry is too cowardly to release them.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    05-10-15 10:07 AM
    Do you have numbers to back up that sarcasm?
    Most critics of any BlackBerry strategy that doesn't include catering to their specific desires a.s.a.p. will bring up correlations that supposedly "prove" this or that... non-science that they will hammer on with until you just give up. Fortunately or hopefully BlackBerry strategists are smarter than that.

"People like iPhones therefore people hate PKB devices". Perhaps people like large screens and app variety and iOS itself to a degree that displaces their appreciation of PKBs because they currently have no choice for a large screen app-rich device WITH a PKB? I hope that the Slider will provide new data in support of PKBs because the Slider won't be saddled with a small square screen and will also be sufficiently speced... but it will still be running BB10 so it's market will be limited from the get go... and for my part, BlackBerry device hardware isn't the problem: it is BB10 itself and the limited app selection, and BB's market perception that is a limiting factor in market acceptance: the PKB is an asset, not a liability, but I'm not going to try to convince anyone of that.

To some people correlation = causation and adopting such premises is how you run a business into the ground, unless you're lucky: in fact, I think our 20/20 Heins-sight shows what a disaster 'correlation = causation' ('people want all-touch devices') can be. The market rejection of BB10 full-touch devices SHOULD be an object lesson in the dangers of over-simplified market analysis, not identifying your target market properly, and not fully understanding their needs, but CrackBerry members spend hours a day hammering their points home.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-10-15 at 10:48 AM.
    05-10-15 10:37 AM
    At the end of the day, I wish BlackBerry all the best, and as a recently returned user to BlackBerry, I hope to see them continue with relation to their hardware business, but I'm not an employee of BlackBerry, nor do I have any pull or say with what they do for their handset side, or their marketing side. What I do see though, is a refocusing on what matters. Their previous regime lost focus, and their new one is regaining that focus. How they accomplish what they set out to do is none of my business, but, for the sake of themselves, and their shareholders (of which I am a small part of), I hope they succeed. As BlackBerry fans, you should be hoping the same. If you want to make a real difference and not be just another armchair CEO, by all means, step up to the helm. If Chen was doing so badly, work your way to the top, force him to resign, and see how easy it is to do what he has already done. I would expect you guys to first and foremost, announce a new high end all touch so that BlackBerry can be saved. Oh, all the latest and greatest specs, and keep cost below $500, because you can...don't forget to spend a third of your budget on marketing, because everyone needs to know and appreciate this high end all touch device your putting out right away.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 11:16 AM
    You know as much so build your own phone line and get the heck off the forums.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 02:12 AM
    So many people are getting bent out of shape over arguing about business focus and what works for the company. While all valid arguments, I think they miss the point of the thread.

Yes, the re-focus of the company is working to a degree. Yes, re-focusing on enterprise customers is key. Trying to compete with Samsung, Apple, HTC, etc directly is probably a great way to loose money.

Still, the point remains that the small number of consumers actively looking for an upgrade path to their Z10/30 are being actively ignored. These people (myself included) are supporters of the company. Our use of the handsets keeps some visibility of the brand in the public eye. Some of us work in positions of influence in organizations that buy enterprise phones.

We don't really want much. Heck, if they took a Z30 specs, threw in maybe a bit more ram or storage space for apps and put a better camera on it and called that the leap, that would have been my upgrade path. Wouldn't have taken much and wouldn't have cost that much and would have kept me happy at least.

Posted via CB10 using my Zed Ten
    05-11-15 12:49 PM
    Buy a Z30, or the slider at the end of this year.
    Don't bash the slider just yet, judging from my old torch, it's not going to be thicker than your z10
    John Chen "Clearly" stated this BB10 Slider is going to be revolutionary and share nothing in common with the old Torch. The Torch had its mechanical issues. This BB10 Slider will have no such thing.

Want to talk about another disruptive device? This BB10 Slice is that device. And should be "A Lot" more disruptive than the Passport ever was.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:17 PM
    We don't really want much. Heck, if they took a Z30 specs, threw in maybe a bit more ram or storage space for apps and put a better camera on it and called that the leap, that would have been my upgrade path. Wouldn't have taken much and wouldn't have cost that much and would have kept me happy at least.
    I can appreciate what you're saying in your post, and I get that it wouldn't have taken much to provide a few extra features which would have been 'good enough'. I don't know why BlackBerry built the leap with the specs it has as opposed to something with a bit more punch to it, and I hope they build something better, sooner. That being said, let's be real for a moment. Look around you on these forums, and you'll discover users who want a full touch with the latest and greatest specs. Some users won't even settle for the specs of the passport, they just want more. Just goes to show that you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. And, we know full well that if tomorrow BlackBerry announced such a device, then you'd have people screaming and bellyaching about the price, or the lack of a feature or two, or that it doesn't have QHD, or battery is not as good as Z30, etc.

My thoughts are this. If you want a phone that BlackBerry is not going to provide you anytime soon, there is a wealth of options you can turn to. Would it suck to go back to android or iOS? For me it would, but nothing is ever permanent.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:33 PM
    They did they released the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 07:34 PM
    I don't know why BlackBerry built the leap with the specs it has as opposed to something with a bit more punch to it, and I hope they build something better, sooner.
    I honestly believe that they either still have lots of Z10/Q10 components left that they over bought before and are trying to get rid of them, or they simply wanted to put as little changes as possible over existing devices to keep OS changes and costs associated with those as low as possible. I'd actually like to compare an teardown of a Leap to to the Z10 and Q10 and see what the differences are.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 09:10 PM
    I think businesses have been telling BlackBerry that , indirectly, with their mass defections to iPhone and Android.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:34 PM
    I can absolutely understand the OP's point. I'm at the end of my Z10 contract and have the ability to upgrade. If I don't, my contract price doesn't go down, so in a way I lose money/value as every month that's money not going towards paying off another device.

I'm not about to upgrade to a z30, the phone is 2 years old at this point. Sure, it's better than the z10 but that's beyond the point.

I looked at a Passport, and as interesting as it is, it's not the device for me.

I love the elegance of bb10 and would greatly miss the hub, but BlackBerry has completely failed in providing a natural upgrade path for the Z10's and z30's coming off contract. I'm seriously looking at picking up an HTC One M9 today as the upgrade.

I already know the response I'm going to get from the forums here; get the device that's right for you, or goodbye, or something like that. The problem with those responses is they miss the point. There are bb10 users like myself that want to upgrade or renew to a 2015 all touch but cannot. Worse, there's no indication we will be able to any time soon (at least 6 months till the slider is released and even then that's not an all touch).

Posted via CB10 using my Zed Ten
    I would then get most expensive device your contract allows, preferably iPhone.
    Sell iPhone and purchase Z30 , swap Sim. (caveat, some operators require you to register your Z30 s.n. with them)
    Pocket the difference ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:31 AM
    Yeah man soon as the Oneplus Two drops I'm on it. I'm tired of promoting BlackBerry 10 and they not giving they're loyal customers on a Z10 or Z30 a clear high end upgrade. Maybe one day I'll come back but my white Z30 getting tossed in the drawer next to my black one.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    05-12-15 09:28 PM
    John Chen "Clearly" stated this BB10 Slider is going to be revolutionary and share nothing in common with the old Torch. The Torch had its mechanical issues. This BB10 Slider will have no such thing.

Posted via CB10
    The new slider will share that same Function as the BBOS one, a slide function.

Had the 9800 and the 9810. Exchanged the 9800 several times but not due to the slider function- it was the tool belt or keyboard. 9810 was never Replaced, worked like a charm.

And you don't know that the new slider will have or not have any issues.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    05-13-15 05:08 PM
    Maybe one day I'll come back but my white Z30 getting tossed in the drawer next to my black one.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    Um.. I'll take them.

05-13-15 05:11 PM
    anyone willing to switch platforms for power will switch right back when BlackBerry releases a suitably powerful device, or BlackBerry will never do that and best these people switch now.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 05:39 PM
    anyone willing to switch platforms for power will switch right back when BlackBerry releases a suitably powerful device, or BlackBerry will never do that and best these people switch now.

Posted via CB10
    Switching platform is no easy task for many people. The work needed ranges from mere annoyance to simply lots of work. I know when I switched to Android I would never ever switch back to BlackBerry, nevermind how truly wonderful the next device or the app ecosystem will ever be. The only way I would switch back would be for Google to make all the mistakes BlackBerry made and end up royally messing up Android both the OS and the ecosystem...and BlackBerry took over Android as the other dominant OS. I switched because the ecosystem situation had become so bad and unbearable for me. Once your user base has gone to the competition, they are most likely gone for good.
    05-13-15 06:31 PM
    Switching platform is no easy task for many people. The work needed ranges from mere annoyance to simply lots of work. I know when I switched to Android I would never ever switch back to BlackBerry, nevermind how truly wonderful the next device or the app ecosystem will ever be. The only way I would switch back would be for Google to make all the mistakes BlackBerry made and end up royally messing up Android both the OS and the ecosystem...and BlackBerry took over Android as the other dominant OS. I switched because the ecosystem situation had become so bad and unbearable for me. Once your user base has gone to the competition, they are most likely gone for good.
    Which is why people who are still on BB10 won't switch from BB10 to something else. You switched for apps. Not just because you thought your BB10 device wasn't powerful enough. You won't switch back to BB10 for 'power' because you didn't LEAVE for power in the first place.

My point that wasn't made well was that people don't switch platforms because the flagship device on their preferred platform isn't powerful enough. They switch for apps or compatibility with friends or that they actually prefer that platform... people who switch from BB10 for those legitimate reasons don't switch back to BlackBerry because BlackBerry releases a powerful device but none of the other factors are different. Likewise, people happy on BB10 despite lack of apps etc. who have held out this long are not 'flight risks' to BlackBerry management because if they WERE, they would already be gone.
    extisis likes this.
    05-13-15 09:18 PM
    Which is why people who are still on BB10 won't switch from BB10 to something else. You switched for apps. Not just because you thought your BB10 device wasn't powerful enough. You won't switch back to BB10 for 'power' because you didn't LEAVE for power in the first place.

My point that wasn't made well was that people don't switch platforms because the flagship device on their preferred platform isn't powerful enough. They switch for apps or compatibility with friends or that they actually prefer that platform... people who switch from BB10 for those legitimate reasons don't switch back to BlackBerry because BlackBerry releases a powerful device but none of the other factors are different. Likewise, people happy on BB10 despite lack of apps etc. who have held out this long are not 'flight risks' to BlackBerry management because if they WERE, they would already be gone.
    Don't agree. I haven't left yet, but have just about had it. BlackBerry converts me to all touch then doesn't release anything for me to upgrade to. I have upgraded from Z10 to Z30, will need to upgrade this year due to T-Mobile's rapidly expanding LTE network using frequencies that the Z30 doesn't support, and I'm not downgrading to the Leap. The Slider isn't something that interests me, and BlackBerry will likely be late with it. I think you are going to see all touch users, who make up over 50% of the BB10 base, start defecting soon. Lots of 2 year contracts ending, and BlackBerry doesn't care about keeping those customers on board, and has generally treated the base like garbage for a while. I've been dropped by them with the PlayBook, dropped now with the Z line, and now maybe it's time to drop them and look to companies that care about the customers and customer satisfaction. Been seeing plenty of posts here from Z users that aren't happy with the lack of attention from the company.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:55 PM
    They did they released the Leap.

Posted via CB10
    They did what? Release a high end all touch? If you're referring to the Leap as their high-end all touch, I'm sorry to tell you, but that's not what the Leap is intended for. It would be a downgrade to the Z30. It's a mid tier business-focused device made to be cost effective, not a high end all touch for consumers. Different devices for different purposes.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 08:12 AM
    For those suggesting the Leap as an upgrade to the z10 or z30. If you were on either of those devices right now and wanting to upgrade would the Leap be satisfactory for you? No I didn't think so.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 08:31 AM
    They did what? Release a high end all touch? If you're referring to the Leap as their high-end all touch, I'm sorry to tell you, but that's not what the Leap is intended for. It would be a downgrade to the Z30. It's a mid tier business-focused device made to be cost effective, not a high end all touch for consumers. Different devices for different purposes.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair the thread title does not mention anything of it being high-end, just an all touch.

05-14-15 09:29 AM
    Just put an order in for a used Z30... I hope I like it coming from a z10. It's sad I've got nothing else to upgrade to from BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 09:35 AM
    Don't agree. I haven't left yet, but have just about had it. BlackBerry converts me to all touch then doesn't release anything for me to upgrade to. I have upgraded from Z10 to Z30, will need to upgrade this year due to T-Mobile's rapidly expanding LTE network using frequencies that the Z30 doesn't support, and I'm not downgrading to the Leap. The Slider isn't something that interests me, and BlackBerry will likely be late with it. I think you are going to see all touch users, who make up over 50% of the BB10 base, start defecting soon. Lots of 2 year contracts ending, and BlackBerry doesn't care about keeping those customers on board, and has generally treated the base like garbage for a while. I've been dropped by them with the PlayBook, dropped now with the Z line, and now maybe it's time to drop them and look to companies that care about the customers and customer satisfaction. Been seeing plenty of posts here from Z users that aren't happy with the lack of attention from the company.
    Sure people will post threats on CrackBerry to try to cajole BlackBerry into making a powerful full touch a priority (I doubt BlackBerry is actually paying attention to these forums very much at the moment) but I know and BlackBerry knows that they don't grow market share with full slab devices, only unique "BlackBerry" devices will grow their market share. And the risk of SHRINKING market share i.e. BB10 users switching to another platform because the Z30 isn't as powerful as the HTC One M9, is very low, so they are setting their priorities wisely, in terms of managing their business.

What I don't understand is why they're not just taking the internals of an HTC One M9, adding in the BlackBerry bits and putting that device onto the market. The HTC One M8 is very similar component-wise to the Passport... so they just have to modify the FCC approved M9 components for their own device,and bob's yer uncle.

BlackBerry shouldn't release a powerful full-touch device to keep from losing current BB10 users, or to grow market share: they should do it because a bunch of BB10 users have money in their pockets they want to spend and BlackBerry can get that money quickly if they release this device tomorrow.

They should do a run of 100,000 devices and charge enough to make a decent profit on them, and only produce more to meet pent up demand.

I honestly think BlackBerry should do something like kickstarter: get $200 deposit as a commitment from a bunch of customers, then produce the device and charge the kickstarter contributors $700 ($500 more), but the device is $800 retail.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 10:22 AM
113 12345