05-22-15 06:07 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Didn't the Leap just come out?
    Hey, this is Crackberry, no truth allowed in whine threads.

Posted via CB10
    devin266 and CDM76 like this.
    05-02-15 10:00 AM
    Hey, this is Crackberry, no truth allowed in whine threads.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I know. People should be elated at a downgrade to the previous all touch devices.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-02-15 10:06 AM
    Yeah I know. People should be elated at a downgrade to the previous all touch devices.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    They should be. You on the other hand are still whining and crying about the playbook. Keep up the bad work Mr/Ms.Sunshine!!!
    05-02-15 10:09 AM
    I think the funniest responses here are the ones that suggest that the market will let BB know when they need to release a new high end all touch device. That ship sailed a long freakin time ago. Since BB missed it, there's not much to do. If you're gonna play catch up you need to release a better product than what is currently available from the competition. When I say better what i am saying is "Better" in the eyes of those who are buying it and not "Better" in the eyes of those on a forum. Buying a Z30 as an upgrade to a Z10 is just insane! The Z30 is at least 1.5 yrs behind the times.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-02-15 10:17 AM
    Agreed. Likewise, the Leap isn't much of an upgrade path either....basically it's a z10 with a bigger battery. That's not to say making the Leap was a bad decision, I think it was a needed device for a certain market segment,but it's not what's needed for an upgrade path.

I'm legitimately worried for bb10's market share. There are a lot of z10/30 users that bought into bb10 with high hopes for the platform that are ending their contract with no clear upgrade path. The passport is a niche product and the leap doesn't cut it. So, what's a user to do? Some will keep using old (z30) products, some will stick with their old phone for an indefinite time waiting on a proper upgrade, some will try the passport, but I bet most will give up and jump ship.

With the lack of announcement of an all touch, I could upgrade to android today and be a year into that contract before BlackBerry announces a proper z10 upgrade. Sad.

Posted via CB10 using my Zed Ten
    CDM76, bp22_ca and extisis like this.
    05-02-15 10:34 AM
    You know, I seriously wish I knew when I was going to die. When I become a Toronto Police Officer it would be nice to know the EXACT day someone will shoot me in the chest or when someone will T-bone my cruiser.
    wait.. canada? who's shooting you in the chest? lol
    05-02-15 12:44 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I can absolutely understand the OP's point. I'm at the end of my Z10 contract and have the ability to upgrade. If I don't, my contract price doesn't go down, so in a way I lose money/value as every month that's money not going towards paying off another device.

I'm not about to upgrade to a z30, the phone is 2 years old at this point. Sure, it's better than the z10 but that's beyond the point.

I looked at a Passport, and as interesting as it is, it's not the device for me.

I love the elegance of bb10 and would greatly miss the hub, but BlackBerry has completely failed in providing a natural upgrade path for the Z10's and z30's coming off contract. I'm seriously looking at picking up an HTC One M9 today as the upgrade.

I already know the response I'm going to get from the forums here; get the device that's right for you, or goodbye, or something like that. The problem with those responses is they miss the point. There are bb10 users like myself that want to upgrade or renew to a 2015 all touch but cannot. Worse, there's no indication we will be able to any time soon (at least 6 months till the slider is released and even then that's not an all touch).

Why not get a LEAP to tide you over until next year?

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 06:06 PM
    Seriously, if you are still using a Z10, the Z30 (or the Leap, for that matter) would be a very decent upgrade for you. I know that there are Z30 owners that feel the same way as you but, in your case, you have an upgrade available and at a great price!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    The leap would be a downgrade in everything apart from battery. No NFC, crappy screen, no HDMI, etc...

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-02-15 09:20 PM
    Well they clearly said they aren't making one till at least mid 2016. You have plenty of options if you like BlackBerry regardless. Passport, z30 and the upcoming slider (if you're impatient) are all huge upgrades to a z10
    No, they said end of this year

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 10:42 PM
    Why not get a LEAP to tide you over until next year?

Posted via CB10
    As someone else mentioned, the Leap is a repackaged Z10 with a bigger battery and less functionality. Not a viable upgrade path.

This is where BlackBerry has a market share risk (for what little slice of the consumer market remains). The upgrade path for people like myself coming to the end of their contract is to tide themselves over with a competing phone. So, while we wait, a good percentage of us are going to use android or iOS phones, and a healthy percentage are never going to come back.

I really like the bb10 os, it's so elegant and useful. Unfortunately though, BlackBerry hasn't provided people an upgrade path. The writing has been on the wall for a while and has been mentioned or alluded to in these forums many times. Well, contracts are coming up and users are looking around and seeing nothing to upgrade to.

If only they put out a Z30 v2.

CDM76 likes this.
    05-03-15 09:46 AM
    As someone else mentioned, the Leap is a repackaged Z10 with a bigger battery and less functionality. Not a viable upgrade path.

This is where BlackBerry has a market share risk (for what little slice of the consumer market remains). The upgrade path for people like myself coming to the end of their contract is to tide themselves over with a competing phone. So, while we wait, a good percentage of us are going to use android or iOS phones, and a healthy percentage are never going to come back.

I really like the bb10 os, it's so elegant and useful. Unfortunately though, BlackBerry hasn't provided people an upgrade path. The writing has been on the wall for a while and has been mentioned or alluded to in these forums many times. Well, contracts are coming up and users are looking around and seeing nothing to upgrade to.

If only they put out a Z30 v2.

always have to keep in mind they are not providing "upgrade paths" to normal consumers like us (unless your a pro-sumer). Leap is geared towards enterprise so bulk purchasing and no definite upgrade in the next 1-2 years. Leap is just another phone thrown out there like the Z5 which was geared towards emerging markets. Z30 pt. 2 would be awesome, but since the slider is coming next I guess i'll have to consider it- I am a former 9810 user.
    05-03-15 12:23 PM
    I get it, and in a lot of ways I think the leap is a good product for what it's made for.

I also get that they're focusing on holding on to the corporate / government market. Again, I don't disagree with that focus.

The issue remains though that there are more than a few consumers that bought on to bb10 and are looking for that upgrade. By not offering them anything but a "coming soon" slider, BlackBerry is going to lose more than a few to competing platforms.

I really hope this enterprise focus pays off since they seem to be actively ignoring what little of the consumer market they still have.

05-03-15 12:44 PM
    To those who say get the Leap I say really? I have a Z30 which is far and away better than what the Leap offers. Kind of ignorant for those who say what about the leap it is not a flagship touch device but a low budget touch device to try to get enterprise customers to get it on the cheap. John Chen has done a lot right but he is making one huge mistake and that is ignoring the average consumer that remains loyal to BlackBerry. I am really wrestling with the decision of staying with BlackBerry or going to another platform. I love the functionality of BB10 but the lack of some of the more popular apps and John Chen's deafness to the consumer maybe the tipping point for me and others to go to another platform. Oh yeah a full touch and slider or not the same so please stop saying get the slider and don't use the hard keyboard I don't want it as many of us have stated.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-07-15 05:10 PM
    To those who say get the Leap I say really? I have a Z30 which is far and away better than what the Leap offers.
    The Leap is a sidestep to the Z30. It has almost exact same components. Even the same weight.

The only thing the Z30 has on it is style.
    05-08-15 09:31 AM
    Not the same at all, Z30 HD MI the leap none, Z30. NFL leap none, Z30 better camera etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 12:48 PM
    Not the same at all, Z30 HDMI the leap none, Z30. NFC leap none, Z30 better camera etc.
    The Leap has more LTE bands. Same camera. You're right about NFC. HDMI is not a factor.
    05-08-15 12:55 PM
    The Leap has more LTE bands. Same camera. You're right about NFC. HDMI is not a factor.
    Leap has an inferior SOC. Z30 is an S4 Pro with quad core GPU, Leap is S4 Plus with a lame GPU.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 02:46 PM
    I'd take Leap over my Z30. No LTE with Z30 on AT&T but there is with Leap.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 05:59 PM
    If you're gonna play catch up you need to release a better product than what is currently available from the competition. When I say better what i am saying is "Better" in the eyes of those who are buying it and not "Better" in the eyes of those on a forum
    So let's say that BlackBerry decides to release a flagship all touch. Stereo speakers, NFC, Hdmi out (although no one uses that anymore), 4 gb RAM, Snapdragon 808, 32 gb storage, and anything else you want. You know what will happen next? People will complain about the price BlackBerry will ask for it, and people will still complain about lack of apps, or lack of customization, and why it's not carried by T-Mo or Verizon, etc.

My point to all this, is just because there seems to be a demand for such a device, albeit a small one on an Internet forum, doesn't mean it will sell. BlackBerry is not in a position to spend a ton of money to develop an all-new high end full touch that people will easily confuse with iPhones and androids, only to find it doesn't sell. Hey wait, sounds like the Z10 and Z30. BlackBerry of today is way different than BlackBerry from two years ago. Going back 2013 they were still competing in the consumer market, now they are not, why is anyone surprised at this revelation? Just because they don't have a proper upgrade path for the current full touch crowd, doesn't mean they won't eventually. They are focused on winning and sustaining enterprise users, not consumers. If you want high end full touch, either be patient to see what 2016 brings, or go to the competition. They can't, and won't, try to please everybody in the meantime until they are sure they can sustain themselves outside of hardware first.

Posted via CB10
    audio_Rx, CDM76 and extisis like this.
    05-08-15 08:10 PM
    So let's say that BlackBerry decides to release a flagship all touch. Stereo speakers, NFC, Hdmi out (although no one uses that anymore), 4 gb RAM, Snapdragon 808, 32 gb storage, and anything else you want. You know what will happen next? People will complain about the price BlackBerry will ask for it, and people will still complain about lack of apps, or lack of customization, and why it's not carried by T-Mo or Verizon, etc.

My point to all this, is just because there seems to be a demand for such a device, albeit a small one on an Internet forum, doesn't mean it will sell. BlackBerry is not in a position to spend a ton of money to develop an all-new high end full touch that people will easily confuse with iPhones and androids, only to find it doesn't sell. Hey wait, sounds like the Z10 and Z30. BlackBerry of today is way different than BlackBerry from two years ago. Going back 2013 they were still competing in the consumer market, now they are not, why is anyone surprised at this revelation? Just because they don't have a proper upgrade path for the current full touch crowd, doesn't mean they won't eventually. They are focused on winning and sustaining enterprise users, not consumers. If you want high end full touch, either be patient to see what 2016 brings, or go to the competition. They can't, and won't, try to please everybody in the meantime until they are sure they can sustain themselves outside of hardware first.

Posted via CB10
    So the Z10 and Z30 haven't sold more than the PKB devices have? Enterprises aren't leaving BlackBerry for high end iOS and Android devices? Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    bp22_ca likes this.
    05-08-15 08:56 PM
    Roadmap?!? Oh you mean Chen blabbering and already backtracking on what was said. Got ya!

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Oh please, cut the melodrama nonsense. JC has been remarkable clear in his approach. He focuses on one device at a time. When it is launched, he starts talking about the next. Steady and methodical. If you want the previous wild west show, maybe we can get Mike and Jim back.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys and CDM76 like this.
    05-08-15 11:40 PM
    So the Z10 and Z30 haven't sold more than the PKB devices have? Enterprises aren't leaving BlackBerry for high end iOS and Android devices? Interesting.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have numbers to back up that sarcasm? So you had two all touch devices vs just one pkb device (Q10) and that would not surprise you they outsold it? Part of the reason enterprises were leaving BlackBerry for iOS and android, was because a) byod was easier and cheaper for enterprises and b) EMM solutions from competitors supported byod, but BES 10 and under had byod baked in as an add-on and was therefore not as good an intergration/harder to use than current BES12. Now with BES12 and the current crop of devices, BlackBerry is more focused on one thing (enterprise) as opposed to being all things for all people. Please tell me you understand that much?

If you think his current plan for the company isn't working, please explain how BlackBerry has lately posted a small profit, instead of being in a freefall the past couple of years? Because we know Z10 and Z30 didn't do much to stop that freefall. Albeit, I personally think a new highend full touch would be a good idea, but they have to take corrective measures before re-entering the market with one, because commanding 600-700 for a full touch from BlackBerry will make it strictly compete with the likes of iPhone, Sammy S6, HTC M9 and the rest, so it better do something damn special to stand out, and I don't think we have the brand recognition to do that yet. At least the current handsets are different, and offer something the competition does not...

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 06:29 AM
    Do you have numbers to back up that sarcasm? So you had two all touch devices vs just one pkb device (Q10) and that would not surprise you they outsold it? Part of the reason enterprises were leaving BlackBerry for iOS and android, was because a) byod was easier and cheaper for enterprises and b) EMM solutions from competitors supported byod, but BES 10 and under had byod baked in as an add-on and was therefore not as good an intergration/harder to use than current BES12. Now with BES12 and the current crop of devices, BlackBerry is more focused on one thing (enterprise) as opposed to being all things for all people. Please tell me you understand that much?

If you think his current plan for the company isn't working, please explain how BlackBerry has lately posted a small profit, instead of being in a freefall the past couple of years? Because we know Z10 and Z30 didn't do much to stop that freefall. Albeit, I personally think a new highend full touch would be a good idea, but they have to take corrective measures before re-entering the market with one, because commanding 600-700 for a full touch from BlackBerry will make it strictly compete with the likes of iPhone, Sammy S6, HTC M9 and the rest, so it better do something damn special to stand out, and I don't think we have the brand recognition to do that yet. At least the current handsets are different, and offer something the competition does not...

Posted via CB10
    Enterprises are abandoning BlackBerry for one reason: apps. The days of a smartphone being a communications only device are over. BlackBerry is only holding on to some customers because of the FIPS approvals and great security built into the OS, but apps, unless addressed quickly, will be the undoing of BB10. Integration with Corporate IM, Presence, video and voice systems at the enterprise level is what most companies are looking to do with a $600+ device, not just email and BBM. We are testing the competition now at work, highly regulated customer, because the vendor we are working with doesn't support BlackBerry, and says they won't, and the Android app doesn't work well on BB10.

As for the numbers the devs have told us that all touch is what has shown up on all their metrics as the dominant platform. Z10 was only a sales failure in relation to how many they made, but is almost certainly the highest selling BB10 devices to date. The Classic now being picked up by the bigger carriers might change this, especially with the lack of a mid level or higher all touch option. I personally expect the lack of compelling and desirable devices to continue the drop in sales in BlackBerry phones and this could be what Chen wants anyway.

As for the small profit, they have hacked back the company to a skeleton crew and are still pulling in BBOS revenue on about 20 million devices. Chen has said the hardware division is still losing money. They won't comment on EZ Pass conversion numbers. Until BlackBerry shows me some numbers, which they are notorious for not doing, Chen is still running a smoke and mirror show IMHO to keep the stock from dropping like a rock again.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:19 AM
    Z30, 1.7 gHz processor!

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:26 AM
    Enterprises are abandoning BlackBerry for one reason: apps. The days of a smartphone being a communications only device are over. BlackBerry is only holding on to some customers because of the FIPS approvals and great security built into the OS, but apps, unless addressed quickly, will be the undoing of BB10. Integration with Corporate IM, Presence, video and voice systems at the enterprise level is what most companies are looking to do with a $600+ device, not just email and BBM. We are testing the competition now at work, highly regulated customer, because the vendor we are working with doesn't support BlackBerry, and says they won't, and the Android app doesn't work well on BB10
    So the main reason enterprise is moving away from BlackBerry is apps? What kind of apps do they need to use that can't be used on BlackBerry?

As for the numbers the devs have told us that all touch is what has shown up on all their metrics as the dominant platform. Z10 was only a sales failure in relation to how many they made, but is almost certainly the highest selling BB10 devices to date
    So still no numbers to show us? Well, I spoke to a guy, who works for someone, who has a cousin in their I/T dept who says that Z10 sold like crap...does this prove much to you? I didn't think so either. And, of course the dominant product is full touch. Aside from BlackBerry, what else is there to use? That's why the brief BYOD policy has altered the dynamics of what's popular with who. Companies are now finding out the hard way that their whiny employees who want to use their toys...er...phones for work use, isn't what's best for that company. Security and efficiency is, and that's where BlackBerry shines.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 04:11 PM
113 1234 ...