12-28-10 03:32 AM
46 12
tools
    How long has it been since we had our last device leak?

This is pretty strange, but there has to be a BIG reason for it.... This is not a coincidence or an accident. RIM is not allowing leaks anymore, but why? (aside from the obvious, but they never cared this much before).

What do you think it is!?
    12-16-10 11:17 PM
    Wow... Sal questioning the leaks ... something must be big if you don't know something! lol (or is your post sarcasm ... meaning you have something for us???)

At first, I thought that RIM actually did have something big coming Jan-Mar '11 (may at the latest) ... but by watching Mike talk and constantly dodge questions about the smartphone market and only talk about how amazing the Playbook is... I'm starting to have doubts. Maybe there really aren't any new top of the line devices going to be released by RIM any time soon (like no new S3 or no QNX devices) and that RIM really is focusing only on the PB.

I'm really not sure what to think anymore ... I would feel that a leak would actually be good for us blackberry users, so that we can stop our negative thoughts about RIM and to entice us to stay with BB and not go to Android or iPhone.
    teamryan15 likes this.
    12-16-10 11:31 PM
    Sometimes i have this thinking...

we all should give ourself a BIG break, pause from visiting this forum, pause to find informations for any leaks...RIM can do whatever they like, or even pause to having a BB and start to try other phones....in the end it will benefit to all of us...we'll be less stress, less speculate, less wondering and less imagine... better to just close our eyes and open it when that our dream phones just in stores near home. Thats the time we press that play buttons back..

Sadly but true..
    Last edited by janz25; 12-17-10 at 01:34 AM.
    12-17-10 01:30 AM
    Imo they want to sell there current generation OS6 phones and are afraid if they leak details of there new gen with QNX that people will wait.
    i have to wait 18/24month between upgrades so i will be waiting as i am very content with my 9700 now it has OS6.
    12-17-10 01:46 AM
    This is pretty strange, but there has to be a BIG reason for it.... This is not a coincidence or an accident. RIM is not allowing leaks anymore, but why? (aside from the obvious, but they never cared this much before).

I think you are reading far too much into it, a far more logical conclusion is simply that they have never liked leaks and have been working to plug those leaks.

We have seen some mentions of a new storm, a touch bold etc. but nothing concrete and maybe that is simply the way things are going to be going forward.
    12-17-10 03:39 AM
    It could be that they don't have anything to leak. Same old refreshes and what not. If they do have something, not they really know how to build excitement for their products. I'm so giddy about rumored RIM products that hopefully ill be toting an android device after the holidays.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 07:17 AM
    I think right now they are devoting everything to the Playbook, and phones running a new yet to be seen OS, and hitching their wagon to it. Look at their answer now for every complaint that comes up about the phones "We are ahead, look at the Playbook!". A device that no one can touch but them, and that is still 3 months from delivery. I think they know that refreshes and the limited OS 6 release just isn't going to cut it in countries where Blackberry is established, and Apple and Android are taking the lion's share of the new smartphone market. They are hopefully working hard to come out with some fantastic phones this summer or they may become irrelevant in the consumer space in the US.
    Maine likes this.
    12-17-10 07:29 AM

you tell us Sal??? or have they decided if you can't beat em join em, and put you under NDA too
    12-17-10 10:11 AM
    Wow... Sal questioning the leaks ... something must be big if you don't know something! lol (or is your post sarcasm ... meaning you have something for us???)
    My optimistic guess is that this is extreme sarcasm, and something may be perhaps coming. Such a generic/n00b type post for somebody that is very well informed.
    12-17-10 11:52 AM

what?!? where HAVE you been? yesterday we had 2 or 3... the day before that, 2 or 3... last week, i think 2 or 3. should i go on? nothing huge, but still there were quite a few.
    12-17-10 12:01 PM
    Sal we both know u know lol.....don't be afraid just post...
    12-17-10 12:40 PM

Hey friends!

First of all: Nice to "hear" something from you sal. Good know that you are still alive! ;-)

I think, I might know the reason why...

The carrierers and "we" are the reason why RIM won't bring out some leaks.
    They had a really big problem after the Storm refresh...

They just wanted to throw some more refreshs on the market, but then they realized,
    that thats not working as they wanted it...
    Carriers refused to the the "new" models - so RIM strategy came out of control.

I think, they thought:
    "Let's do some refreshes and that's it for a while - until duo cores are good enough for the market".

So, we didn't like that and RIM doesn't really have something new till then...

As Mike said: "No, 1GHz processor on a BB".
    So, there are no plans except refreshes...

But there would be a solution for it:
    RIM "only" should add Flash - and they wouldn't be that far away for competitors
    But I don't know if the 624MHz has enough power for that...
    Last edited by Slash82; 12-17-10 at 12:48 PM.
    12-17-10 12:42 PM
    what?!? where HAVE you been? yesterday we had 2 or 3... the day before that, 2 or 3... last week, i think 2 or 3. should i go on? nothing huge, but still there were quite a few.
    He was referring to device leaks, not OS leaks.
    12-17-10 01:36 PM

I wish something would come out soon, especially for verizon! Its insane their news bb is the 9650! Not the happiest consumer right now.
    12-17-10 01:37 PM
    He was referring to device leaks, not OS leaks.
    whoops! haha

I wish something would come out soon, especially for verizon! Its insane their news bb is the 9650! Not the happiest consumer right now.
    verizon needs some serious blackberry lovin right now, for sure.
    12-17-10 01:42 PM
    I hope I am wrong, but if they had something new coming out why wouldn't they leak it? It would cool the jets of many users (including storm users on vzw chomping at the bit for the s3) looking for an upgrade. Those users would be more likely to wait until after the holiday to go with a RIM device instead of going ios or android. I think leaks help keep users and RIM should know this.

After all, they had no problem telling us about the playbook months before it is going to ship. QNX is out of the bag. They aren't going to tip off the competition to some new innovative hardware that the competition is not already aware of. The competition already has seen a brief preview of what QNX can do on the playbook. Why all the secrecy with the phones? They clearly thought their storm refresh would fly on VZW until VZW canceled it. Unfortunately, based on Mike L.'s comments about how dual and quad core cpus are needed for future QNX phones I don't think we will see QNX on a phone for quite a while. A dual core phone will arrive on VZW in Q1 2011, but Mike sounded like he wanted these muti-core devices to be the standard before RIM put QNX on a phone. Moreover, he seemed to suggest that RIM doesn't have an interest in scrapping os 6 anytime soon. They want to keep os 6 as a simple phone os and have a more complex slick os for their tablet and run with that philosophy for a while. Essentially, you keep your phone for quick tasks and use your playbook for a better web and multimedia experience. RIM is still making money and adding subscribers so I don't think they feel the urgency to rush QNX to a phone in in the first half of 2011. Moreover, many blackberry users are happy with this. They want their curve or bold refresh, good keyboard, prefer the trackball/trackpad method of navigation, have no use for a touchscreen and will stick with blackberry because "it does what I need it to do." I want a more consumer friendly phone that has a little more multimedia and fun experience to it. That is why I use a blackberry and an android device depending on what my needs are at the time. I would love for a nice storm 3 to replace both of these phones as soon as possible. I am afraid we will see a refresh os 6 device at best in early 2011. Maybe a better phone this time next year with QNX.
    12-17-10 02:37 PM
    As Mike said: "No, 1GHz processor on a BB".
    So, there are no plans except refreshes...
    Bull****. CEO's will naturally evade the truth to avoid leaking plans.

But based on older leaks, what we know, and logic; we can deduce some things.

Here's what we have so far (it'll take me a little longer to get the evidence in place, as I need to find it and I'm shot on time.):

RIM will be launching the PlayBook In either February, March, or April. It will; be running a TI OMAP 4 or something very similar. We have most of the specs.

Around that time period, Verizon will be launching the LTE Storm.
    • It will not be called a Storm, as that name has some poor connotations.
    • It will have somewhat the same specs as the PlayBook, and most likely the same 1ghz processor.
    • It will be running BB 7, a QNX OS with the spirit (general design, personalized touches) of the current BBOS platform, but with drastic improvements to the GUI (thanks to TAT). Most likely widgets.
    • Verizon may restrict it from using North American HSPA frequencies, but there will be a version with these frequencies.
    • it will have a front facing camera.
    • no hardware keyboard. No SurePress either (likely). but it WILL have a trackpad.
    • will most likely launch with the PlayBook

There will also be a Bold. it will also be positioned as a high-end device, so it should have similar specs as the LTE Storm. It may or may not be a touchscreen, or it will come in both versions. No idea if it will have the Bold 9000 formfactor. expected to come later.

RIM will possibly launch a couple medium range devices, wich will have similar specs as the LTE Storm but no LTE, no front camera, and only 800Mhz on the processor.

RIM will continue to offer BB6 devices, but they will be delegated as low end cheap devices or for emerging markets.

that is all that I have so far.
    mover23 and Culex316 like this.
    12-17-10 03:40 PM

Here's what we have so far (it'll take me a little longer to get the evidence in place, as I need to find it and I'm shot on time.):

RIM will be launching the PlayBook In either February, March, or April. It will; be running a TI OMAP 4 or something very similar. We have most of the specs.

• It will have somewhat the same specs as the PlayBook, and most likely the same 1ghz processor.
    • It will be running BB 7, a QNX OS with the spirit (general design, personalized touches) of the current BBOS platform, but with drastic improvements to the GUI (thanks to TAT). Most likely widgets.
    • Verizon may restrict it from using North American HSPA frequencies, but there will be a version with these frequencies.
    • no hardware keyboard. No SurePress either (likely). but it WILL have a trackpad.

There will also be a Bold. it will also be positioned as a high-end device, so it should have similar specs as the LTE Storm. It may or may not be a touchscreen, or it will come in both versions. No idea if it will have the Bold 9000 formfactor. expected to come later.

RIM will possibly launch a couple medium range devices, wich will have similar specs as the LTE Storm but no LTE, no front camera, and only 800Mhz on the processor.

RIM will continue to offer BB6 devices, but they will be delegated as low end cheap devices or for emerging markets.

Maybe you are right...
    I don`t know where you got your infos from....

But your words in my ears...
    12-17-10 07:35 PM
    Maybe you are right...
    I don`t know where you got your infos from....

But your words in my ears...
    Just consolidating older rumours, simple logic, and confirmed stuff.
    I'd back it up, but I won't have access to a non-****ty computer until monday.
    12-17-10 07:58 PM
    Just consolidating older rumours, simple logic, and confirmed stuff.
    I'd back it up, but I won't have access to a non-****ty computer until monday.
    if you are right my friend, I`d be glad!
    12-17-10 08:03 PM
    I definitely see where you are coming from grahamf... and I really hope you are right.

I do remember seeing all of this leaked info before ... and just hope it stands to truth.

(Also... Sal created this thread, but hasn't posted since... I don't know, but I'm kinda suspecting he knows something from the nature of his first post and just isn't allowed to tell us)
    12-17-10 08:14 PM

LOL where are you getting this from? This is all speculation. Can you tell me how you backup the Bold? I'd like to know.
    12-17-10 10:02 PM
    One of these days I should try to post a detailed report with references. From Monday to christmas eve I have NOTHING to do, so I could work on it then. But that means going over months and possibly a years worth of posts, so who knows how well it will go.
    12-17-10 10:03 PM
    It'd be nice to see what you're saying play out. But none of it has been confirmed.

I'd like to see what references you have.
    12-17-10 10:10 PM
    Maybe we haven't had any leaks because RIM is releasing a new operating system (that widget one or whatever) that is COMPLETELY different from QNX, and more like an upgraded OS 6 on a phone like an S3 with the Playbook ... so they don't want anyone finding out.

Who knows.. again its all speculation, so we just have to wait for something like CES or an actual announcement from RIM...
    12-17-10 10:48 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD