This was posted on Berryreview.com. Shows all the devices we have heard about and maybe a few we have not seen too much info on. One thing that is noticeable is the lack of any mention of a storm3 device which is disappointing for me. Tell me what you guys think.
    RIM’s BlackBerry Device Roadmap for 2010? BerryReview

06-17-10 07:29 PM
    When is RIM going to realize that the users want touchscreen devices! We all saw that eye catching video of BlackBerry 6 on a touchscreen device. Yay! But this roadmap appears to be contrary to that. The reality is that RIM is stuck in the world of hard keyboards. Hard keyboards are fine perhaps for some users, but far too many of RIM’s products have them, including every one of the upcoming devices in 2010! What about users who want more screen space to browse the Internet for research or just for fun? I don’t want to carry my laptop when I have my BlackBerry. That should be the goal!

RIM, please don’t fall asleep at the wheel. Why not develop the Storm line further? The Storm 2 is nice, but it is already obsolete, and the current OS 5.0 browser is far too slow and disappointing to use. With only 256 MB RAM, it will likely not get an upgrade to OS 6. If it does, there is no room for apps! Perhaps the new 9800 will be the only one in RIM’s arsenal that can truly showcase the new webkit browser and put BlackBerry on the same page as the iPhone and Android for web browsing experience. If RIM has such a fantastic browser which can put them on equal footing with the competition, scream it out! Showcase it with newer devices featuring large touchscreens! The 9800 won’t please everyone as many won’t want to carry a thicker device with a hard keyboard they won’t necessarily use.

This “roadmap” was fine in 2008, but in 2010 we are just not seeing the evolution of BlackBerry towards being web-friendly. RIM is holding back and holding on to its base. The best way to beat the competition is to SHOWCASE what you’ve got.

RIM’s competition have heard and understood that message loud and clear, and they are pushing large touchscreen devices such as the new Droid X and even the Dell Streak. Apple’s new iPhone 4 is shouting to the public, “We have the sharpest display to enhance your web experience…” Motorola and HTC are selling Androids with 4.3-inch displays — more display space equals more sophisticated apps… and a better user experience! They are all pushing the envelope on what is possible: larger screen sizes, faster 1 GHz and 2 GHz CPUs, larger on-board RAM, faster 4G data rates. I can’t believe RIM is still releasing devices today that are not even 3G capable. So disappointing!

iPhone, Android? Do they have hard keyboards? They’ve seen the light. BlackBerry has to evolve from a simple messaging device and embrace the Internet for where it’s going: web apps! To browse the web, you need screen space… which is what the competition is giving web-addicted users. What is RIM doing for us now?

I have a Storm 9550 running OS 5.0. With only 128 MB RAM, the device is very limiting. I can’t easily upgrade to a Storm 2 without paying a huge penalty. I have the screen space but not the browser to take advantage of it or the memory to support it. I can’t install any more apps so, for me, why even visit App World? If RIM wants App World and BlackBerry apps to proliferate, put more RAM in the devices! “If you build it, they will come…” As my term is coming to an end, what new touchscreen BlackBerry device can I look forward to? Please don’t suggest a 9800.

The main reasons I carry a BlackBerry is: 1. Security (built-in app security, encryption, etc.); 2. Robust & reliable hardware; 2. Superior messaging. I hope to see RIM build on their strengths!

Question to RIM: are you willing to go the path of obsolescence? I tell you this, you are walking that path right now.

I have three quick ideas:

1. Shorten your test cycles by reducing the number of different products you have to support (as well as 3rd party developers!). Stick to three or perhaps three lines: (a) Pearl Flip/Clamshell (small form-factor, hard keyboard), (b) Bold (premium, hard keyboard), (c) Storm (premium, touchscreen), and (d) Tablet? Push all product lines equally!

2. Forget the cheap smartphone line of products like the Curve. They will be drowned out by even cheaper Asian devices. The Curve was good for it’s time, but now it is seen as a cheap Bold. It’s time to drop it. Instead move users who want a smaller & cheaper phone to the Pearl line, which will highlight power in a smaller package.

3. Greatly expand the Storm line giving it equal footing as the Bold & Pearl lines!

BTW, the 9800 is a Bold in Storm clothing… not a true Storm!
    06-17-10 07:39 PM
    I fully agree, I love my Storm2 and would love a Storm3 that is on equal footing with the iPhones and nexus ones of the world. Also on the roadmap 3 out of the 6 devices are touch in someway. the curve at the bottom shows touchscreen and keyboard, as well as the 9800, and the bold 9700 redesign. Supposedly the clamshell will be touch on the outer screen but not the inner. but yeah i think they need more touch devices as well overall.
    06-17-10 07:52 PM
    You are correct TeaBoy. I expect more from a tech company, not more of the same. My Storm VZW contact expires in 9 months. I hope the don't have more of the same or I will hae to jump ship.
    06-18-10 10:04 AM
    When is RIM going to realize that the users want touchscreen devices!
    You speak for most blackberry users? I would highly disagree with that statement. Majority of users use bb's b/c of the physical keyboard. So not sure where you got that crazy idea that users want touchscreens....
    06-18-10 11:57 AM
    How can you guys believe this. This is just news gathered from different sites and just put together seriously this is pure BS think about it the touchsreen with no trackpad is the mockup we saw on cellulurguru we've seen all this stuff on different sites and how about the 9900 there's no picture don't you think there would be a picture come on guys
    06-18-10 01:24 PM
    Agreed, PI Guy. I am dying for a touchscreen but not enough to give up my real keyboard. Both touch and keyboard is my ideal device but until they(BB) makes it, I am not giving up my keyboard for one of those flat, touch screen, numb ones. Speaks for everyone, hmph!

Chad
    06-18-10 01:40 PM
    I just came to the realization that the Debut of OS6 shown on a touch screen device IS A CLEAR SIGN A STORM 3 IS COMING. Come on everyone. Even in the vid a virtual keyboard was pulled up. Look at the vertical length of the window in the vid. Everything in those screen shots layouts says STORM 3. None of the devices shown in this post have a big enough screen to do that. And why in the world would you put a virtual keyboard on a device with a physical keyboard. Think about it, like a volcano, all this rumbling from us current Storm owners and RIM is like "Man do we have a trick up our sleeves." When The Storm 3 erupts, its going to blow us away and silence the haterz. Everyone just wait and see. Patience is a virtue. This is perfect marketing for RIM, hmmmm Lets leak this and that and keep eyebrows raised when it comes to our big shabang. Its coming, I feel it, I can't say when but I'm tellin you all its coming. So hold on to ya butts!!!
    06-18-10 03:47 PM
    How can you guys believe this. This is just news gathered from different sites and just put together seriously this is pure BS think about it the touchsreen with no trackpad is the mockup we saw on cellulurguru we've seen all this stuff on different sites and how about the 9900 there's no picture don't you think there would be a picture come on guys
    Agreed. I have a hard time believing that the 9900, as its described here, actually exists.
    06-18-10 04:00 PM
    I moved to a Storm from an iPhone and just recently got the 9650...not going to lie, the precision you get from the trackpad is amazing. I for one will have to think hard before moving back to another touch device! RIM's hardware is/was never the problem, it's been their implementation of software for consumers!
    06-18-10 04:36 PM
    I'm sure we will see more of the same. So, I wouldn't get worked up until it actually happens. But a Dakota without a trackpad. Really?
    06-18-10 04:51 PM
    You speak for most blackberry users? I would highly disagree with that statement. Majority of users use bb's b/c of the physical keyboard. So not sure where you got that crazy idea that users want touchscreens....
    Let's see...has RIM ever had an opening weekend of sales anywhere near any iPhone release, or the incredible, or the Evo? The closest they ever came where people lined up at stores was, hmmmmm, let me think... Oh yeah, the F'N STORM! Their touchscreen device. I think it is safe to say that people want touch screens.

Now just have to think about what RIM is gonna do that a bunch of qwertY's are dropping on Android....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 07:07 PM
    Let's see...has RIM ever had an opening weekend of sales anywhere near any iPhone release, or the incredible, or the Evo? The closest they ever came where people lined up at stores was, hmmmmm, let me think... Oh yeah, the F'N STORM! Their touchscreen device. I think it is safe to say that people want touch screens.

Now just have to think about what RIM is gonna do that a bunch of qwertY's are dropping on Android....

I didn't think anyone would buy the Android qwerty's since everyone wants touch screens
    06-18-10 10:48 PM
    I think most people want a touch screen, they just don't want to give up their keyboard for it. If the onyx delta is what that says it is, I'm getting it. Period.

06-18-10 11:15 PM
    The 9670 "Oxford" showed up on a video with Sprint as the carrier, so maybe not just a Verizon exclusive.
    And no Storm 3
    06-19-10 04:50 AM
    The Storm reputation has really been tarnished due to the original Storm's failures/shortcomings. Even with the much improved Storm2, I have seen the majority of my friends go with the Tour over the Storm2, based on bad press the original Storm received.

In my opinion, the only way to really catapult the Storm series back as a legitimate touch-screen contender to the iPhone and Android devices is if RIM/Verizon release it on their 4G network in Q1/Q2 2010 (I think that's when LTE devices are first expected). Obviously, OS 6.0 will be a much needed upgrade, but OS 6.0 alone may not be sufficient.

Who knows?
    06-19-10 10:33 AM
    The Storm reputation has really been tarnished due to the original Storm's failures/shortcomings. Even with the much improved Storm2, I have seen the majority of my friends go with the Tour over the Storm2, based on bad press the original Storm received.

In my opinion, the only way to really catapult the Storm series back as a legitimate touch-screen contender to the iPhone and Android devices is if RIM/Verizon release it on their 4G network in Q1/Q2 2010 (I think that's when LTE devices are first expected). Obviously, OS 6.0 will be a much needed upgrade, but OS 6.0 alone may not be sufficient.

Who knows?
    As we are almost in Q3, I think by your summation, RIM is doomed.
    06-19-10 11:54 AM
    As we are almost in Q3, I think by your summation, RIM is doomed.
    I'm thinking he meant 2011.
    06-19-10 12:00 PM
    Oops. Meant 2011.
    06-19-10 12:46 PM
    I highly doubt Verizon and especially AT&T will have LTE deployed by Q2 2011. Verizon may have decent deployment by that time, but not full nationwide coverage. AT&T still has major issues with its 3G network and it's going to get worse with iToy4. The have not backup plan whatsoever and a network on the verge of collapse. Sprint does not have true 4G, they can claim all they want, but technically WiMax is not true 4G, its still a 3G technology.
    06-20-10 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD