01-30-15 06:35 PM
92 123 ...
tools
    The camera focus my z10 broke after an unfortunate incident involving the roof of my car and me being forgetful.

My contract is almost up and I don't want to jump ship. I'd be all over a passport of they had one for verizon. I have no desire for a z3. I like the z30 but it's older as devices go already and I don't want to waste my contract update for something that will be antiquated in the next few months. I actually use my camera a lot for mobile banking and video of my athletes. I don't know what to do.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 01:37 PM
    I personally would suggest a z30... sure by spec fiend standards it is antiquated by their standards but in real world use it is the most productive phone I have used... have not given the Passport a look yet.... what should be of concern is actual world usage... majority of z30 owners seem more than happy with their units.... If you switch platforms... I would suggest trying to play with the unit you are considering... BB OS is known to you... unsure how familiar with other OS's you are..... big jump so do the jump as a well informed consumer versus an impulsive jumper...
    Cody Salter likes this.
    01-01-15 01:45 PM
    I really don't want to jump platforms. I'm on around 7 straight years with BlackBerry and that's where I want to stay. I'm just afraid the minute I pick up a z30, they will announce whatever high end device is coming in a few months. Maybe I'll just buy a cheapo little tablet for my mobile banking

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 04:03 PM
    Do you have an old BB you could use for now, until a new device (say classic) come out for Verizon?
    01-01-15 04:27 PM
    The camera focus my z10 broke after an unfortunate incident involving the roof of my car and me being forgetful.

My contract is almost up and I don't want to jump ship. I'd be all over a passport of they had one for verizon. I have no desire for a z3. I like the z30 but it's older as devices go already and I don't want to waste my contract update for something that will be antiquated in the next few months. I actually use my camera a lot for mobile banking and video of my athletes. I don't know what to do.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    If you can get a Z30 at the $299 or less price, buy outright, save your upgrade for a next good offering, and sell the Z30 when that new device comes out. Based on the specs of the Classic, it is clear the Z30 will remain relevant for a while since it is a much better spec'd device. You might even be able to get a discount in service while waiting.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    01-01-15 05:13 PM
    If you can get a Z30 at the $299 or less price, buy outright, save your upgrade for a next good offering, and sell the Z30 when that new device comes out. Based on the specs of the Classic, it is clear the Z30 will remain relevant for a while since it is a much better spec'd device. You might even be able to get a discount in service while waiting.

Posted via CB10
    He would have to change carriers to do that.
    01-01-15 05:22 PM
    I would pick up a used z30 or wait for BlackBerry to have another sale. That way, you can just go month to month until BlackBerry releases something you like, mean while you can use the z30.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 05:35 PM
    He would have to change carriers to do that.
    Ah missed that.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 06:01 PM
    Take the best phone they offer on a free upgrade then sell it and buy an unlocked Passport

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    01-01-15 06:03 PM
    Best way would be to grab a used z30 which you can manage to get at cheap rate....play with it until march when they are planning to announce their next beasts...
    Me too waiting for march announcements...if nothing comes great for me to replace my Q10, I would jump to classic.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 06:44 PM
    I'm concerned as well and also playing the waiting game. However, I did manage to get two Z30s on eBay for a good price - including three cases. So, I don't mind waiting for awhile longer. Upgrades are still intact.

Really....CTFD! Sent from my Z30 on .1949 w/ Tap-a-Talk. (*_~)
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-01-15 09:26 PM
    I believe they're announcing at least two phones at the MWC
    01-01-15 09:40 PM
    They need to do something.

Some people may be surprised to learn that Blackberry are still selling in and selling through Blackberry 7 devices despite the last device coming out in 2013. BB7 devices still account for more than 30% of total Blackberry devices sold to channel and the number is ever decreasing. I fully expect the ratio to be under 10% by the end of the year if not under 5%.

The main issue at the moment is that BB10 devices aren't filling the void left by declining BB7 device sales. Especially when the Z3 was launched in a few markets and Passport is a niche device and Classic didn't launch till end of the year. It'll be interesting to see if BB10 devices in 2015, starting with global roll out of the Classic, are able to fill the gap left by declining BB7 devices and even increase shipments.

But what It looks like at the moment is only 3.82m BB10 devices have been shipped in the past 9 months. In the same period during 2013 we saw cumulative Blackberry shipments at just under 12.5 million in total with the overwhelming majority being BB7 devices. This year is 5.7 million with those 3.82m accounting for BB10, in this case BB10 was the majority in 2014 yet total sales were less than half that of last year during the same period. Blackbery can't afford for BB10 device shipments to fall or stand still, they need to grow.
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 01-01-15 at 10:21 PM.
    01-01-15 10:01 PM
    Don't fall for the Z30 hype here on CrackBerry. Get another Z10 or wait for the Rio in February.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    mode_m likes this.
    01-01-15 10:05 PM
    Z30, faster and more CPU power than Z10

I liked my Z10but I like my Z30 better, especially running 10.3.1.1154.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    01-01-15 10:08 PM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Go unlocked. There is nothing free about an update.
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    01-02-15 12:00 AM
    Definitely agree with OP, ill take myself for an example.

I currently own a Q5 as my daily driver which I bought in October 2013. So I would be due for an upgrade this year October. But I can't really see myself buying a Q10 since its pretty much the same phone but just has a batter camera and it's over 2 years old. (nearly 3 by October this year)

The Classic isn't really an option since I believe the BlackBerry 10 OS is designed for gestures and not a tool belt that the previous OS was built around.

Passport, not only too big for me but also out of my price range. So I'm hoping for a Q5 upgrade at the end of this year or early 2016 otherwise... ill just have to bite the bullet and purchase a Z30 (don't like full touch)

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    Last edited by Matty; 01-02-15 at 09:56 AM.
    01-02-15 12:43 AM
    I really don't want to jump platforms. I'm on around 7 straight years with BlackBerry and that's where I want to stay. I'm just afraid the minute I pick up a z30, they will announce whatever high end device is coming in a few months. Maybe I'll just buy a cheapo little tablet for my mobile banking

Posted via CB10
    For the price of any top end phone upgrade on VZW you can probably come close to paying for a gently used Z30 from a good used phone source.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-02-15 02:09 AM

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Thought....Don't ever put your phone on the roof of your car. That was easy.

I'm joking of course. Seriously I would check ebay first...then maybe amazon for a phone right now. Also I hear that Gazelle now sell phones too. I, like yourself want a passport desperately but I can't do shyt till my contracts are up @ Sprint. As much as I want to buy a pp and use it on AT&T, I would have 3 phones and that's freakin insane. I can justify 2 active phones but 3??

Good luck!!

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    01-02-15 08:31 AM
    I'm debating leaving Blackberry at the end of this month, when my upgrade is due. I really don't want to but they aren't giving me a choice, I won't be getting a phone with any lower specs than my Z30 and the only rumoured device is just that.

What are people's honest opinion here, is BlackBerry just isn't suiting my needs, is it time to leave?

Also any opinions on Android or Windows? I 100% will NOT Be getting an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 08:39 AM
    I like how it "officially" becomes a problem when the OP suddenly needs to upgrade

Actually, I think it's always a problem when upgrade time comes and there isn't a logical path to do so since there is a premium that you pay each month that goes towards your next upgrade, probably $12 to $15. I learned my lesson a long time ago with Palm when they were floundering as I hung onto my Centro about a year longer than I should have, waiting for a new Palm OS device to appear. It was only then that I realized that I was throwing that upgrade premium down the toilet because Palm didn't know what to do with their platform after the iPhone.

Even if they do announce something at MWC, the Classic is taking almost a year to show up for most users and that had mostly the same specs as existing models. Companies like Blackberry are vulnerable to component "shortages" because companies that order 50-100M units get first dibs on everything while other companies that order 200K batches wait. Do you think that TH really wanted to order that many BB10 devices at launch? I'm sure he had to in order to get the units made on time and decided that he had to roll the dice.

John Chen isn't going to roll the dice with volume so any new hardware he announces will probably be doing well to show up by the end of 2015.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-02-15 at 09:10 AM.
    01-02-15 08:59 AM
    You seem to be connecting to your phone appliance on a emotional level. I have both a Android and Apple and in my opinion the Android is a clunker OS. Once you get used of BB10 as you are you are going to find it hard to switch. I would be trying out a Passport. They give you 15 days to try out do they not?

Just me but from now on I prefer to be off contract. Look for the best carrier deal. Save up some cash and wait.
    01-02-15 09:06 AM
    I'm debating leaving Blackberry at the end of this month, when my upgrade is due. I really don't want to but they aren't giving me a choice, I won't be getting a phone with any lower specs than my Z30 and the only rumoured device is just that.

What are people's honest opinion here, is BlackBerry just isn't suiting my needs, is it time to leave?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately for us regular users, BlackBerry is not concerned with keeping us on their platform. They have chosen to focus on enterprise users.

So for us, that means dealing with what is available now or leaving for another platform. It sucks, but that's the unfortunate reality we are being dealt at the moment.

As for the android/windows/apple conundrum, for me, I would go apple for sure. Great hardware, great software, great app selection, great case and accessory selection. The only downside I see is the boring in and out of OS. It is much much more boring than bb10. But it all "just works" very well.

Via CB10, Passport 10.3.1.1154
    01-02-15 09:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well do you really need to upgrade just because your due? If so then yeah BlackBerry options at this point are a bit of a joke compared to the Z30 you have now. I really don't know what BlackBerry is thinking waiting till MWC to release a roadmap. Z10 owners are all sitting at 2 years or close to it at the end of this month, Z30 will be about 15 months at that point. The fact they are holding off may indicate that they have nothing really to show to Z owners that will be compelling enough to make them stay. If you can't wait till MWC and must upgrade then I would just get whatever device has the best function combined with high resale. That way if BlackBerry does come out with something you want later this year then you can sell that device and buy the BlackBerry.

I bought one of my sons an iPhone 6 for Christmas and another the Samsung GS5. They both seem to like the devices. If I were to abandon BlackBerry I'm not sure which way I'd go myself. I wouldn't go Windows because of apps. Apple has the best app catalog and app quality, Android is close on the apps and has customization.

I just bought a Z30 unlocked in November, so I have time and the phone is running great. Also it should run OS good for a whole as BlackBerry is going to have to keep supporting the ancient SOC on the Classic/Z10/q10/Q5 and possibly Rio for a long time, and the Z30 SOC is superior to that one in every way. Unfortunately I also believe that supporting hardware that old will limit what features they bring out in BB10.

All in all it is a time of great uncertainty with BlackBerry. I expect them to remain conservative in hardware and software but not pass the savings this should imply to the purchaser.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and gfondeur like this.
    01-02-15 09:54 AM
    Well do you really need to upgrade just because your due? If so then yeah BlackBerry options at this point are a bit of a joke compared to the Z30 you have now. I really don't know what BlackBerry is thinking waiting till MWC to release a roadmap. Z10 owners are all sitting at 2 years or close to it at the end of this month, Z30 will be about 15 months at that point. The fact they are holding off may indicate that they have nothing really to show to Z owners that will be compelling enough to make them stay. If you can't wait till MWC and must upgrade then I would just get whatever device has the best function combined with high resale. That way if BlackBerry does come out with something you want later this year then you can sell that device and buy the BlackBerry.

I bought one of my sons an iPhone 6 for Christmas and another the Samsung GS5. They both seem to like the devices. If I were to abandon BlackBerry I'm not sure which way I'd go myself. I wouldn't go Windows because of apps. Apple has the best app catalog and app quality, Android is close on the apps and has customization.

I just bought a Z30 unlocked in November, so I have time and the phone is running great. Also it should run OS good for a whole as BlackBerry is going to have to keep supporting the ancient SOC on the Classic/Z10/q10/Q5 and possibly Rio for a long time, and the Z30 SOC is superior to that one in every way. Unfortunately I also believe that supporting hardware that old will limit what features they bring out in BB10.

All in all it is a time of great uncertainty with BlackBerry. I expect them to remain conservative in hardware and software but not pass the savings this should imply to the purchaser.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your well thought out and detailed reply!

I've been leaning towards Android to be honest and yes I do want to upgrade the minute I can, that's just me, impatient!

Thanks for the 'Get a Device with High Resale Value' input, I hadn't thought of that, maybe I'll get a Note or something and if Blackberry does bring an appealing all touch out then I suppose I could sell it on and pay off the difference!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 04:44 PM
92 123 ...