03-18-15 04:16 AM
63 123
tools
    I'm pretty sure the Google play store is not a priority for Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    I actually disagree. I understand why it might not be a priority, but it is. Without the Google play store, Samsung devices will not sell.

That being said it's possible that this IS a forked version of Android without Google play, but people, even enterprises won't buy it just like they are not buying Blackberries.

It will also not be Android running on a QNX kernel because that's a complete re-write of Android, and to take that much effort, even assuming you can pull off 100% compatibility you might as well make a completely new OS.

Now, if this were to run a completely new OS made by Samsung, Blackberry, Secumart and IBM, then it would be a different matter.

But no, it's just gonna be a slightly modified version of Android with a "secure" workspace like BB10 or Knox or some such thing.

The other software improvements may come in the form that apps are installed in ways they can't data mine or a run features they are not supposed to in the background.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 04:48 PM
    So you are saying that BB is letting its arms spin different solutions for different customers?
    Yes. It looks so to me...
    03-14-15 06:37 PM
    I actually disagree. I understand why it might not be a priority, but it is. Without the Google play store, Samsung devices will not sell.

That being said it's possible that this IS a forked version of Android without Google play, but people, even enterprises won't buy it just like they are not buying Blackberries.

It will also not be Android running on a QNX kernel because that's a complete re-write of Android, and to take that much effort, even assuming you can pull off 100% compatibility you might as well make a completely new OS.

Now, if this were to run a completely new OS made by Samsung, Blackberry, Secumart and IBM, then it would be a different matter.

But no, it's just gonna be a slightly modified version of Android with a "secure" workspace like BB10 or Knox or some such thing.

The other software improvements may come in the form that apps are installed in ways they can't data mine or a run features they are not supposed to in the background.

Posted via CB10
    It could also be a dual boot device...

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 07:45 PM
    I can't think of much that less secure than a dual boot device. It isn't appropriate for the target user either who is presumably a security-minded professional who is a non-techie.

One has to wonder why Samsung did not buy Secusmart if this is an important technology for them. This is probably too much of a niche device for them to be really interested in it as a consumer oriented smart phone maker.
    03-14-15 08:03 PM
    You guys are all crazy. It runs Android. Not BB10, not some crazy dual boot wonder OS, not Tizen, not OS/2. Android. Secusmart is a BlackBerry subsidiary that works with EVERYONE who will make use of their services. Please, for the love of all things technology, stop expecting BlackBerry 10 to be injected into everything because that's NOT how BlackBerry is going to work going forward. BlackBerry (the company) is making everyone a part of their ecosystem and sooner you realize this, the better off everyone will be. It also costs $2380 so clearly, it's not aimed at consumers.

03-14-15 08:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not in a million years. You saw how Windows 8 was received. That was basically two OSes in one. Blackberry 10 is even less different GUI and function wise than Android compared to desktop and Metro and the switching tactic would be even more time consuming. Two OSes are useless >99% of the time. It's a fun little easter egg for tech enthusiasts; but, horrible for everyday use.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-14-15 08:13 PM
    You guys are all crazy. It runs Android. Not BB10, not some crazy dual boot wonder OS, not Tizen, NOT OS/2. Android. Secusmart is a BlackBerry subsidiary that works with EVERYONE who will make use of their services. Please, for the love of all things technology, stop expecting BlackBerry 10 to be injected into everything because that's NOT how BlackBerry is going to work going forward. BlackBerry (the company) is making everyone a part of their ecosystem and sooner you realize this, the better off everyone will be.

Well... you're not gonna be very popular. No sir.

But seriously... I would agree: BBRY is making the smart play here by injecting itself into other platforms.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-14-15 08:15 PM
    Well... you're not gonna be very popular. No sir.

But seriously... I would agree: BBRY it's making the smart play here by injecting itself into other platforms.
    If reality makes me unpopular so be it. BlackBerry is no longer just about 'BlackBerry' as we once knew it. Chen told everyone this was coming months ago and the message has been consistently relayed and put into play. He will make BlackBerry money off the backs of others success by offering what BlackBerry is best at on those platforms.
    03-14-15 08:16 PM
    BlackBerry probably should have done the same thing with the Playbook: made it an Enterprise only device and not released it in consumer outlets like BestBuy! They wouldn't have faced the same level of blowback I think.

This is a smarter way for BlackBerry to enter the hyper competitive tablet market - through partnerships and software. A BB10 tablet would be nice but given the state of the market it would almost certainly fail. Better that BlackBerry partners with IBM, Samsung, etc. in this area and concentrates on making interesting mobile devices to keep their mobile division alive!
    03-14-15 08:25 PM
    So What does this mean for a consumer? Does the tablet itself have any enhanced privacy features for consumer use? Any photos or how it will be made available to the market?
    This Tablet is not for consumer consumption, just for Enterprise and Government. No consumer is going to spend $2,000 on a Tablet for the sake of Security, which requires BES12 anyway.
    BlackBerry probably should have done the same thing with the Playbook: made it an Enterprise only device and not released it in consumer outlets like BestBuy! They wouldn't have faced the same level of blowback I think.

This is a smarter way for BlackBerry to enter the hyper competitive tablet market - through partnerships and software. A BB10 tablet would be nice but given the state of the market it would almost certainly fail. Better that BlackBerry partners with IBM, Samsung, etc. in this area and concentrates on making interesting mobile devices to keep their mobile division alive!
    BlackBerry's mistake with the PlayBook was not having the appropriate apps and native e-mail integrated into the OS. The actual device was ahead of its time by 8 to 12 months. Just lacked some features that were a must.
    Had it come out with the last PlayBook OS update, would have been a different story. Within 3 to 6 months time, after its official release, BlackBerry would have released OS updates to enhance efficiency and speed.
    With regards to a BB10 based tablet, I believe its a good idea, now that Inventory is no longer the issue. Enterprise, Government and Consumers would be much better served with a BB10 based tablet over an Android.
    03-15-15 12:33 AM
    03-15-15 12:47 AM
    PlayBook is that you?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:55 AM
    Samsung tab + IBM software improvements + Secusmart SD card-based encryption software = this thing.

It's not a BlackBerry product.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, Troy Tiscareno and dolco like this.
    03-15-15 12:57 AM
    PlayBook is that you?

Posted via CB10
    Far from it.

Posted from an ME173X
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-15-15 01:02 AM

It's not a BlackBerry product.
    True, but I defy you to quickly read the BB press release on this and come to that conclusion.

The person who wrote that PR, with its frequent references to BlackBerry 10, deserves an immediate pay rise. It's a masterclass in "leading people to believe". LOL
    serbanescu likes this.
    03-15-15 05:01 AM
    True, but I defy you to quickly read the BB press release on this and come to that conclusion.

The person who wrote that PR, with its frequent references to BlackBerry 10, deserves an immediate pay rise. It's a masterclass in "leading people to believe". LOL
    Good point!
    03-15-15 05:18 AM
    I called this last week when the deal was annouced.Good luck BB!! At least they won't have inventory write downs,Great move!!!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-15-15 06:42 AM
    I wonder how Apple is going to compete with this,IF they can,I don't think so.
    03-15-15 06:51 AM
    If reality makes me unpopular so be it. BlackBerry is no longer just about 'BlackBerry' as we once knew it. Chen told everyone this was coming months ago and the message has been consistently relayed and put into play. He will make BlackBerry money off the backs of others success by offering what BlackBerry is best at on those platforms.
    Ohhhhhh.... This is sooooooo unfair!

I've pretty consistently said much the same for months now... And all I get for my trouble is being labelled a "Negative Nancy"

LOL
    Mecca EL and mikeo007 like this.
    03-15-15 07:53 AM
    So you are saying that BB is letting its arms spin different solutions for different customers?
    Isn't that what QNX does? The flexibility is an advantage of being an independently run subsidiary.
    03-15-15 09:21 AM
    I wonder how Apple is going to compete with this,IF they can,I don't think so.
    I'm not sure that Apple will care very much frankly.

I certainly don't see Apple trying to create a rival product.

According to the SecuSmart info I've seen, the product is available (or soon will be) for iOS and Android. Apple will have already made their money by selling you the device. It doesn't worry Apple if an App developer also makes money... The opposite is true, Devs that make money from a platform are keen to support and improve their App on that platform.

I'm sure Apple will see this as a good thing. Increases their reach into this niche without them spending a penny. It might even sell a few more iPads.
    03-15-15 09:40 AM
    So bb sneaks in the back door,again
    03-15-15 10:42 AM
    I know this is isn't a BlackBerry product but like others said, judging by how it was spoken of in the press release and by how BlackBerry first dismissed tablets completely (leaving playbookers to bite the dust) and then got into bed with these people, it's easy to think that they would say "well if they want a tablet, this is as far as we will go. Take it or leave it".

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 01:49 PM
    The deal with secusmart was al ready there before BlackBerry took over.

They hope at the end of 2015 it will be proved by goverment maybe another knox story. Why not getting BB10 on it and use android runtime. It's beyond me and why i BlackBerry not filling this space with there own tablet for lesser money. Also the reporter asking him over and over of it is really secure.

the tablet will cost near 2000 euro. Samsung knox for the boot security and the rest by BlackBerry BES 12.1. The apps with app warapping are running on the SD card .

It looks good but still why not using BB10 and Android runtime and BlackBerry should bring out there own tablet with Samsung Tab S 8.4 or just work with SONY.
    Last edited by whatsever; 03-15-15 at 03:46 PM.
    03-15-15 03:34 PM
    You guys are all crazy. It runs Android. Not BB10, not some crazy dual boot wonder OS, not Tizen, not OS/2.
    i was going to guess Garnet OS.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-15-15 04:30 PM
63 123