08-25-14 03:26 PM
52 123
tools
    The Z3 is Jakarta.
    The Z3 LTE is Manitoba.

The Z50 doesn't exist and is pure speculation at this point.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Right for Jakarta dition and Manitoba friend

Z50 is a concept name from berry users but this is the Ontario STB100-X and will have same spec of Passport just battery will have a difference

posted via my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.xxx (don't ask)
    07-23-14 07:18 AM
    Agreed that there is still a lot more than a proper MDM does. And BES may fit the bill. With the advent of BB10, the need for BES to access emails has gone. The need for MDM has not. That's why I believe BBRY really should change the name of their MDM offering, not tie it back to Blackberry.
    BES is an MDM product, though. It always has been. Anyone who actually runs one knows it primarily as an MDM product.

BES is arguably BlackBerry's strongest brand; why would they change the name?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-23-14 06:09 PM
    The Z3 is Jakarta.
    The Z3 LTE is Manitoba.

The Z50 doesn't exist and is pure speculation at this point.

The "Z50" does exist. It will be full touch with Passport specs. Has a tentative date of mid 2015.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 06:19 PM
    The "Z50" does exist. It will be full touch with Passport specs. Has a tentative date of mid 2015.

Posted via CB10
    Your source for this? It's been discussed over and over here and the consensus is that this device is speculation.

07-23-14 06:20 PM
    Your source for this? It's been discussed over and over here and the consensus is that this device is speculation.

Speculation until you'll have more information

07-23-14 06:32 PM

I'd rather not say but it's pretty reliable.

Take it or leave it. Just mentioning it here. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 06:40 PM
    I'd rather not say but it's pretty reliable.

Posted via CB10
    I'll leave it.

On another note, I have reliable information that little green men from Mars (they call themselves Martians) do exist and are coming to Earth. Tentative date is 2015.

07-23-14 06:42 PM
    BES is an MDM product, though. It always has been. Anyone who actually runs one knows it primarily as an MDM product.

BES is arguably BlackBerry's strongest brand; why would they change the name?

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Because words have power and if a company running iOS and/or Android is looking for a MDM something called Blackberry Enterprise Server will likely not even be considered.
    lnichols likes this.
    07-26-14 11:40 AM
    Because words have power and if a company running iOS and/or Android is looking for a MDM something called Blackberry Enterprise Server will likely not even be considered.
    Totally agree with this. The BlackBerry name is an Albatross hanging around the neck of a great phone OS, and MDM solution. The name BlackBerry is permanently tied to BBOS, and that is not a good association to move a modern smartphone with.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    07-27-14 05:11 PM
    Totally agree with this. The BlackBerry name is an Albatross hanging around the neck of a great phone OS, and MDM solution. The name BlackBerry is permanently tied to BBOS, and that is not a good association to move a modern smartphone with.

The BlackBerry name is an albatross because of the OS and devices, which has resulted in a very low stock price. That can change if BlackBerry gets their act together.

07-28-14 06:34 PM
    The BlackBerry name is an albatross because of the OS and devices, which has resulted in a very low stock price. That can change if BlackBerry gets their act together.

Somewhat agree, but if you are trying to sell a MDM, tying the name to a device limits your market.Regardless of product knowledge, BES will still be perceived as a DMD for Blackberry, and BTW it can do other devices.
    07-29-14 09:40 AM
    Somewhat agree, but if you are trying to sell a MDM, tying the name to a device limits your market.Regardless of product knowledge, BES will still be perceived as a DMD for Blackberry, and BTW it can do other devices.
    That's true. And I realize it can do other devices. I do think that BlackBerry has the potential to turn things around and use the BlackBerry name to promote BES, especially in terms of security. I'm not sure if changing the name now would actually help.

07-29-14 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    The 810 chip will be coming around then and the "upgrade cycle" will be missed by months.

It better be good....

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    08-05-14 09:25 AM
    The 810 chip will be coming around then and the "upgrade cycle" will be missed by months.

It better be good....

I have to admit I don't know much about different chips. Can you give me some info on the 810 please? And what do you mean by "upgrade cycle"?

08-05-14 11:59 AM
    810.... Google it.

It's one of the best mobile chips right now.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 02:18 PM
    810.... Google it.

It's one of the best mobile chips right now.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. That was helpful!

08-09-14 09:21 AM

It better be good....

What is this "upgrade cycle" I keep hearing of?

I don't think everyone bought their phones all at once during the exact same month way back when cellphones first hit the market, and everyone kept to that upgrade time frame ever since. Aren't upgrades scattered all year long depending on when someone got their phone and that's if they even upgrade on schedule?

This is not the first time I've heard of this phantom "cycle".

Being on AT&T, my contract time is the typical 2 years, but I had only 2 phones from '97 to August '07 when I got my first BlackBerry. Then that one was upgraded almost 3 and a half years later in December of '10, then upgraded again to my current Z10 just over 2 and a half years later in July of '13.

I can't be the only person that does this.

The closest thing to a cycle that I'm aware of is the launching of a new iPhone every year and all the Apple diehards freak out and stand in ridiculous lines. While their numbers are impressive for the news reports, they don't constitute the entire cellphone buying public.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 08:54 AM
    What is this "upgrade cycle" I keep hearing of?

I don't think everyone bought their phones all at once during the exact same month way back when cellphones first hit the market, and everyone kept to that upgrade time frame ever since. Aren't upgrades scattered all year long depending on when someone got their phone and that's if they even upgrade on schedule?

This is not the first time I've heard of this phantom "cycle".

Being on AT&T, my contract time is the typical 2 years, but I had only 2 phones from '97 to August '07 when I got my first BlackBerry. Then that one was upgraded almost 3 and a half years later in December of '10, then upgraded again to my current Z10 just over 2 and a half years later in July of '13.

I can't be the only person that does this.

The closest thing to a cycle that I'm aware of is the launching of a new iPhone every year and all the Apple diehards freak out and stand in ridiculous lines. While their numbers are impressive for the news reports, they don't constitute the entire cellphone buying public.

Posted via CB10
    First, here?s a slightly aging article talking about the 810 chip: http://www.greenbot.com/article/2140...bile-chip.html

As to replacement cycle, this is what I understand from what I've heard from some industry insiders like Tommi Ahonen of Communities Dominate Brands Blog and who Forbes Magazine called most influential expert in mobile. Apologies if this isn't exactly right, but I think it's right or at least close to right.

In many mature smartphone markets, people have been buying a new smartphone faster and faster, no longer waiting for the 2 years per phone contracts to complete. For instance T-Mobile has replacement every six months on Jump Program and other carriers have similar deals. Smartphone manufacturers release upgraded phones faster and faster, too, (say at least 1 per year) with new features and better specs, so more people want latest and greatest phones. The average replacement cycle for a customer in these markets (at least among certain demographics) is now less than 1 year (say 9 months). This means that if a company only releases a phone once a year, there is built-in chance that some of its customers on 9-month buying cycle will be looking for a new phone 3-months before the current smartphone maker gets a new phone to market, meaning the customer may defect to another brand with upgraded specs. So a company wants to avoid this by offering new phones at the same pace as the average customer replacement cycle, or you could bleed customers. This is an issue even with Apple who has great customer loyalty, when say some iPhone 5S owner buys a LG G3 now, shortly (few months) before release of iPhone 6. Insiders have been predicting that Apple would need more than one new phone per year because of this consumer behavior phenomenon, which is perhaps why you saw the iPhone 5C (economy?! play) and now the iPhablet (super premium play), both in addition to the core iPhone line.

With respect to BlackBerry, the length of time between releases of its all-touch flagship phone is the question. The Z30 came out last year 2013, and the rumors are that the Z50 upgrade (if it even happens!) is not due until the middle of next year 2015, which at about 20 months between upgraded BlackBerry all-touch flagship phones is far, far outside the desired replacement schedule of 9 to 12 months. It's too slow, you see, and BlackBerry users will likely defect as they are tempted by competitors. Some loyal users will stay, but you get the idea that more and more will be tempted every day until the Z50 gets here. And the Z50 better be spec equivalent with the 2015 competition when it does arrive, which can be hard to do when you've taken nearly a full cycle off.

Z-30/STA 100-5/10.3.0.700+.296/T-Mobile USA
    08-10-14 10:22 AM
    They better start leaking or just announce a high end all touch device soon. I will want to upgrade my Z10 in the near future and if they don't have something out soon I might have to bail. My Z10 is starting to reboot due to battery starting to get loose like every removable battery BlackBerry device I have owned.

kfh227 likes this.
    08-10-14 01:45 PM
    Speculation until you'll have more information

Not speculation. This was discussed in the last BerryFlow Podcast (Podcast #8 I believe). I can't remember who it was that attended one of the BlackBerry security events, but was able to confirm that BlackBerry does have multiple high end devices, including touchscreen, planned for the next several quarters. So, the Ontario may still turn up again in the near future since it was rumored to have the same specs as the Passport. However, if it does, I don't think it will be using the Ontario name. I suspect that an all touchscreen version of the Passport will become the next phablet from BlackBerry, and the successor to the Z30.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    08-10-14 02:05 PM
    They better start leaking or just announce a high end all touch device soon. I will want to upgrade my Z10 in the near future and if they don't have something out soon I might have to bail. My Z10 is starting to reboot due to battery starting to get loose like every removable battery BlackBerry device I have owned.

At the two year mark I'm back to android if no z50 is announced yet. Bbry, you have about 5 months to talk.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-14 10:21 AM
    With respect to BlackBerry, the length of time between releases of its all-touch flagship phone is the question. The Z30 came out last year 2013, and the rumors are that the Z50 upgrade (if it even happens!) is not due until the middle of next year 2015, which at about 20 months between upgraded BlackBerry all-touch flagship phones is far, far outside the desired replacement schedule of 9 to 12 months. It's too slow, you see, and BlackBerry users will likely defect as they are tempted by competitors. Some loyal users will stay, but you get the idea that more and more will be tempted every day until the Z50 gets here. And the Z50 better be spec equivalent with the 2015 competition when it does arrive, which can be hard to do when you've taken nearly a full cycle off.
    I think BlackBerry is in worse shape than many here really want to believe. It cost a lot to develop a new devices and then to purchase components and retool factories... long before the first profit is seen. Even going the Foxconn route... I doubt Foxconn is taking ALL the risk up front.

They really need revenues from the Z3, Passport and Classic to give them wiggly room to pay for all these cost, without putting a major drain on their limited resources. Think the FOR SALE and other issues really messed up their product cycle. Thus we have the Z10, Q10 and Z30 being so long in tooth. And when BlackBerry doesn't really do Flagship devices using the latest components... it really shows when they try to keep them in the market so long.

For the average user, yes 2 years is still the "cycle". But from a sales standpoint, the "cycle" is shrinking because everyone's "cycle" started at a different time - there are always users looking for the "latest" and best devices.

In the low end of the market... it's not a big deal as sometimes to keep cost down those devices use older components are they are last years or the year before that's model. But for people willing to pay for the best... you really need to offer them the best.
    08-12-14 10:46 AM
    I think BlackBerry is in worse shape than many here really want to believe. It cost a lot to develop a new devices and then to purchase components and retool factories... long before the first profit is seen. Even going the Foxconn route... I doubt Foxconn is taking ALL the risk up front.

They really need revenues from the Z3, Passport and Classic to give them wiggly room to pay for all these cost, without putting a major drain on their limited resources. Think the FOR SALE and other issues really messed up their product cycle. Thus we have the Z10, Q10 and Z30 being so long in tooth. And when BlackBerry doesn't really do Flagship devices using the latest components... it really shows when they try to keep them in the market so long.

For the average user, yes 2 years is still the "cycle". But from a sales standpoint, the "cycle" is shrinking because everyone's "cycle" started at a different time - there are always users looking for the "latest" and best devices.

In the low end of the market... it's not a big deal as sometimes to keep cost down those devices use older components are they are last years or the year before that's model. But for people willing to pay for the best... you really need to offer them the best.
    Well I agree with you that the for sale issue hurt BlackBerry's product cycle release. However, I disagree with your product development argument. They have the cash and now the relationships needed to manage their supply chain better.

I think you are not hearing about the Z50 because they want buyers to focus on the passport. It is that simple. One of the truly frustrating aspects of previous BB CEOS was their disturbing habit of talking about their next high end product. Great way of killing sales. Chen knows to keep his mouth shut and focuses on one flagship device at a time. The classic and Z20 fall into a different category (value phone). Give the passport 1-2 months of focused attention and then the news of the Z50 will start to appear.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 08:45 PM
    And I think that the scattering of releases throughout the year hurts them as well. The upcoming shinny thing may appeal to you, but then again you may want to wait a few months to see what the next shinny will be. They would do better to announce and release new devices all at the same time, on a yearly cycle.
    08-25-14 09:15 AM
    Again, we've heard nothing that says a "z50" exists..

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 10:55 AM
52 123