06-26-14 10:07 AM
90 1234
tools
    I've talked to several people at my job that were forced into iPhones from BlackBerry Bold devices. All of them, 2 years later, want to go back.
    acovey likes this.
    06-19-14 12:31 PM
    Well thank JC (grin) and BlackBerry that they don't have the same opinion as you...
    Me and millions who left BlackBerry for companies with touch screen only phones. I'm not alone nor in the minority. A fact you cannot dispute nor JC.

JC is good with the company internals and financials, but he is backing the wrong type of horse.

BTW, Mike L thought the same thing.

We shall see.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-19-14 12:34 PM
    Keyboard phone sales probably declined because there were no good options over that time period. Anyone who wanted one would be stuck with BB7.

Also assuming total smartphone sales globally at 1.5 billion, 1% would be 15 million phones. So there's still a market there, and I think blackberry hopes to grow that.

Having said that, I'm not personally interesting in a QWERTY device. I'm interested in BB's next flagship all-touch.

Posted via CB10
    just_luc likes this.
    06-19-14 01:01 PM
    Keyboard phone sales probably declined because there were no good options over that time period. Anyone who wanted one would be stuck with BB7.

Also assuming total smartphone sales globally at 1.5 billion, 1% would be 15 million phones. So there's still a market there, and I think blackberry hopes to grow that.

Having said that, I'm not personally interesting in a QWERTY device. I'm interested in BB's next flagship all-touch.

Posted via CB10
    There have been many android pkb phones. They didn't sell well.
    06-19-14 01:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    keyboard phone sales are only down because nobody felt the q10 was what they could replace the legacy devices to, i had so many vps throw them back at me and ask for a 9900 or some other qwerty device.

i personally feel that classic is a major winner not only for enterprise but for legacy BB users, i have shown it all around my office and everyone who refuses to let go of legacy is willing to accept the classic.
    acovey likes this.
    06-19-14 02:14 PM
    So, we should just all be forced to use nothing but all-touch phones because that's what's considered "cool"?? Yah, I don't care how small the market is, I hope they keep making keyboard phones...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    06-19-14 02:33 PM
    I work in a corporate environment and I go to different corporate companies and I find that the guys at the top are still rocking the BlackBerry devices with physical keyboards. Not all of them but a good amount of them. Remember what JC said as well, he said if they sell 10 million devices a year, they're good. With their own user-base plus the segment of users who still have never owned a smartphone, they can definitely hit that. I'm not a fan of the recently announced BB-Passport but I hope that they physical keyboard devices going forward will finally do the right thing...
    acovey likes this.
    06-19-14 07:03 PM
    Keep on kind that 1% of a nearly 2 billion unit market is 20 million phones. That would be active phones each in use 2-3 yes so say 7 to 10 million sales each year.

Chen said the phone biz can make profits at 10 million per year.

So dominating PKB phones plus all touch phones can wprk..

It is a low hurdle, if they can't do it then of course they will quit that business but it would seem hard to fail.

They have been failing because they released THREE unfinished pieces of hardware in a row. PlayBook Z10 Q10. And each of them late. And expensive. And thought they owned the market. BES10 seemed to suffer from being unfinished and the same arrogant approach.

Chen is not making those mistakes.

The products are good

When enough are in circulation the Apps will follow

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    06-19-14 08:23 PM
    Keep on kind that 1% of a nearly 2 billion unit market is 20 million phones. That would be active phones each in use 2-3 yes so say 7 to 10 million sales each year.

Chen said the phone biz can make profits at 10 million per year.

So dominating PKB phones plus all touch phones can wprk..

It is a low hurdle, if they can't do it then of course they will quit that business but it would seem hard to fail.

They have been failing because they released THREE unfinished pieces of hardware in a row. PlayBook Z10 Q10. And each of them late. And expensive. And thought they owned the market. BES10 seemed to suffer from being unfinished and the same arrogant approach.

Chen is not making those mistakes.

The products are good

When enough are in circulation the Apps will follow

What "good" products are you referring too?

06-19-14 08:42 PM
    A new chart posted by Alex Barredo of Post PC shows that the percentage of mobile phones with full QWERTY keyboards was still at above 25% as recently as 2010, even though today it stands at somewhere around 1%. In fact, QWERTY-equipped phones didn't really start to drop off the map until the period between 2011 and 2012, when their share of the market plunged from around 20% to well below 10%.

QWERTY smartphone market share is now nonexistent | BGR

BlackBerry is going after that minority, and the businesses that deploy them as work devices.

Imagine the stories we'd see if they launched two touchscreen devices this year.

If there was a market for BlackBerry all-touch devices, the Z10 and Z30 would be doing a lot better. The fact is, they never did well, and the Z30 was only carried by ONE U.S. carrier (pretty much online only too!).

People may point to the Z30 screen as being "behind," but the Z10 was on par with most high end phones when it launched, and what happened? Oh yeah, that little write-down. The Z10 was an expensive mistake. We don't know how the Amazon/BlackBerry partnership will go. I hope it goes well, but had BlackBerry put out two new touchscreen phones instead of qwerty devices, it would be a huge risk. BlackBerry has no more room or time for a mistake or a risk, hoping that after YEARS of BlackBerry trying and failing to convince consumers to give their flagship touchscreen devices a chance, these same customers are like, "yeah, okay. After the last few failures and negative press around BlackBerry, now seems like a good time to get one of their touchscreen phones, never mind the brand new iPhone6."

John Chen wants to produce more of what his core customers buy, which is why he is bringing things back like the tool belt and trackpad. He/BlackBerry are playing it safe with their core features, and innovating where there's room (Passport's keyboard). Why would John Chen attempt to play catchup with Samsung and Apple, with devices that are built on commercial failure (Z10/Z30)?
    06-19-14 08:55 PM
    I can't see myself ever using a phone with a PKB, never have, most likely never will. With that being said, I see that there is a market for phones with a PKB and if BB can dominate this little niche market, well, good for them. But, on the other hand, I currently feel like I have been hung out to dry. Where's my new ultra powerful flagship device? Nope, nothing?
    06-19-14 09:00 PM
    I love my Q10 but I'm looking forward to a touch device once voice control is efficient. BUT, I want a touch device that is as comfortable to hold as the Q, not square and bulky. I'm good with something a little bigger than the Q but the roundness is a must for me.

There were some comments left on Verge's Passport article that demonstrated just how little people outside of CB know about BlackBerry. They're under the impression that BlackBerry still only makes physical keyboard devices and even went on to say that BlackBerry needs to get with the times and make an efficient virtual one.

emPowered by ?
    06-19-14 09:10 PM
    BlackBerry is tailoring the niche market and they're the only ones who really know how to do a good QWERTY phone. It's just right for them to make the Classic and the Passport.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    SK122387 and DJM626 like this.
    06-19-14 09:15 PM
    A new chart posted by Alex Barredo of Post PC shows that the percentage of mobile phones with full QWERTY keyboards was still at above 25% as recently as 2010, even though today it stands at somewhere around 1%. In fact, QWERTY-equipped phones didn't really start to drop off the map until the period between 2011 and 2012, when their share of the market plunged from around 20% to well below 10%.

QWERTY smartphone market share is now nonexistent | BGR

Ok Mr. Sunshine. It never ends with you does it?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 09:37 PM
    Your one customer and not with the majority. The majority are for and currently using touch screen phones.

Sorry but you and folks with the same preference are the very small minority in the cell world.
    I could use the same argument toward all the people who claim "I need [insert app], I can't live without it - if I can't get it on a Blackberry, I'm going elsewhere!" and point out that 99% of those apps aren't needed, they're just wanted. However, it doesn't matter what I think - it only matters what those people think ... just like it doesn't matter whether you think QWERTY phones aren't needed - it only matters that people who have/want them think they're needed.
    06-19-14 09:43 PM
    Whine, Whine you slab phone lovers have had 3 BB10 slab phones released, us Classic users are still waiting for the first one.

I can't see myself ever using a phone with a PKB, never have, most likely never will. With that being said, I see that there is a market for phones with a PKB and if BB can dominate this little niche market, well, good for them. But, on the other hand, I currently feel like I have been hung out to dry. Where's my new ultra powerful flagship device? Nope, nothing?
    SK122387 and NamelessStar like this.
    06-19-14 10:07 PM
    What "good" products are you referring too?

From Z30 on, the first 2 were not ready for release and the q5 seems unneeded but did work

What I mean is works as it should out of the box. A reasonable person would appreciate it.

I love my Z10 but my upgrade came last Aug. By the it was a good phone that I'd even better now.

06-19-14 10:52 PM
    Imagine the stories we'd see if they launched two touchscreen devices this year.
    I'm imagining it right now. It certainly wouldn't be something along the lines of, "BlackBerry finally gets it" or "BlackBerry finally makes a phone that appeals to the masses." because nobody wants touch devices.

If there was a market for BlackBerry all-touch devices, the Z10 and Z30 would be doing a lot better. The fact is, they never did well, and the Z30 was only carried by ONE U.S. carrier (pretty much online only too!).
    Yes, you're right. The Z10 and Z30 didn't sell because there is not market for touch devices. It definitely wasn't anything to do with the devices themselves or the OS. They were perfect.

Chen was dead wrong when he said that they, "over promised and under delivered."

John Chen wants to produce more of what his core customers buy, which is why he is bringing things back like the tool belt and trackpad.
    Absolutely right again. What the core customers want it keyboard phones. And those core customers are numerous. That's why BlackBerry is doing so well and Apple failed miserably.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 06-20-14 at 03:40 AM.
    06-20-14 03:16 AM
    I'm imagining it right now. It certainly wouldn't be something along the lines of, "BlackBerry finally gets it" or "BlackBerry finally makes a phone that appeals to the mases." because nobody wants touch devices.

Yes, you're right. The Z10 and Z30 didn't sell because there is not market for touch devices. It definitely wasn't anything to do with the devices themselves or the OS. They were perfect.

Chen was dead wrong when he said that they, "over promised and under delivered."

Absolutely right again. What the core customers want it keyboard phones. And those core customers are numerous. That's why BlackBerry is doing so well and Apple failed miserably.

Yah man, we should just ignore the people who want something different than what the cool police tells us we must like. If the trend is all-touch? Just only make all-touch devices. Those pesky people with those pesky "different" opinions, who cares about them, they better learn to jump on the bandwagon or else...

And they will never comment that "BlackBerry finally gets it" or "BlackBerry finally makes a phone that appeals to the mases." even if they made all-touch phones (since they've never done that before apparently...) because it'll still have the word "BlackBerry" in front of the model name... They won't "appeal" to the masses unless it says "Samsung" or "Apple" somewhere in the name... Physical keyboard, all-touchscreen, it makes little difference...
    SK122387 and bigbmc26 like this.
    06-20-14 03:31 AM
    Me and millions who left BlackBerry for companies with touch screen only phones. I'm not alone nor in the minority. A fact you cannot dispute nor JC.

JC is good with the company internals and financials, but he is backing the wrong type of horse.

BTW, Mike L thought the same thing.

We shall see.

Let's make this quick:

iOS does not have physical keyboard
    Android generally only has slider keyboards
    Windows Phone does not have physical keyboard.

The question is:
    "Do people not use physical keyboard because they don't like it, or because there is none?"

Think about it:
    Apple, the progenitor of the smartphone we know today, never introduces physical keyboard to their devices. People are happy with iOS devices, but do they not use physical keyboard because they don't like it or because Apple never made one to begin with?

I find it amusing that you keep saying "millions upon millions of people do not like physical keyboards". Usually, the kind of people that would cite this will also claim that Q10 failed to gain traction, pleasantly ignoring that even the all-touch, the ones that do not have keyboards, are also struggling, thanks to the fact that BlackBerry 10 doesn't currently have a lot of official big-name apps.

You might also want to claim that the Bold 9900 failed too, pleasantly ignoring that BlackBerry OS simply does not compete with other OS, and is actually moot. BlackBerry OS devices were relatively slow, are of low resolution, and they also do not have the big-name apps with matching functionality.

I will not lie. I found that BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 fulfilled my needs. Until I got my hands on Z10, and finally see what exactly do those people mean with smartphone. Apple re-defined "smartphone", that much we should concede.

So until BlackBerry 10 gains enough capability to fight and be at least no.3, getting the big name apps, the claim that "people don't like physical keyboard" is not good. How can they like it if they never had the chance to try one to begin with?

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3175
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    06-20-14 03:35 AM
    Yah man, we should just ignore the people who want something different than what the cool police tells us we must like. If the trend is all-touch? Just only make all-touch devices. Those pesky people with those pesky "different" opinions, who cares about them, they better learn to jump on the bandwagon or else...

And they will never comment that "BlackBerry finally gets it" or "BlackBerry finally makes a phone that appeals to the mases." even if they made all-touch phones (since they've never done that before apparently...) because it'll still have the word "BlackBerry" in front of the model name... They won't "appeal" to the masses unless it says "Samsung" or "Apple" somewhere in the name... Physical keyboard, all-touchscreen, it makes little difference...
    I'm not suggesting that BlackBerry should stop making keyboard phones. Not at all. There certainly is a small niche market for keyboard phones and BlackBerry is in a perfect position to have a monopoly on it.

I am suggesting that certain people need to realize what people are currently looking for in terms of technology so that BlackBerry doesn't get left behind. Some of the comments in the post I quoted were becoming a little silly.

Last edited by crazigee; 06-20-14 at 12:35 PM.
    06-20-14 03:45 AM
    I hope that Foxconn does a better job than whomever made the Q10 and Z10. Lots of returns on those phones

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:36 AM
    I have to agree. Employees who use work phones want all touch devices.

JC is out of touch when it comes to all touch.

They do not need a killer flagship phone but they need a great all touch pocket phone that can be sold for $250 unlocked.
    Don't you believe Chen has done his due diligence and probably got a lot of feedback from enterprise customers on the need for physical keyboard? The man did not reach where he is in life by being "out of touch". If anything, he comes across as a shrewd businessman who is doing his utmost to turn the company and its fortunes around. I rather give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing.
    06-20-14 08:47 AM
    I hope that Foxconn does a better job than whomever made the Q10 and Z10. Lots of returns on those phones

Posted via CB10
    Most of the returns were software based. The system software was not ready. Nothing wrong with hardware. Returns got checked upgraded software installed and resold via discounters

06-20-14 08:57 AM
    There shouldn't be ONLY all-touch models, but when those make up 99% of the market, you can't go more than a year without introducing a new one (not counting the Z3 - not available in US).
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^
    06-20-14 10:24 AM
90 1234