06-26-14 11:07 AM
90 123 ...
tools
    A new chart posted by Alex Barredo of Post PC shows that the percentage of mobile phones with full QWERTY keyboards was still at above 25% as recently as 2010, even though today it stands at somewhere around 1%. In fact, QWERTY-equipped phones didn't really start to drop off the map until the period between 2011 and 2012, when their share of the market plunged from around 20% to well below 10%.

QWERTY smartphone market share is now nonexistent | BGR

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    goran baksa and johnnyuk like this.
    06-19-14 08:06 AM
    Sorry CB10 folks for the HTML junk showing up.

06-19-14 08:07 AM
    BlackBerry makes the best keyboards in the mobile space. If anything they own that chunk of the pie as small as it may be. So yes, they are still going to make them. I'm glad that there is now a BlackBerry platform that benefits no matter if you choose a physical keyboard or a slab. If John Chen said he was only going to make physical keyboards, he'd be carted off to the crazy house. Or at least I would hope. There will be touch screen BlackBerry devices and better devices in general this year.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    06-19-14 08:27 AM
    BlackBerry makes the best keyboards in the mobile space. If anything they own that chunk of the pie as small as it may be. So yes, they are still going to make them. I'm glad that there is now a BlackBerry platform that benefits no matter if you choose a physical keyboard or a slab. If John Chen said he was only going to make physical keyboards, he'd be carted off to the crazy house. Or at least I would hope. There will be touch screen BlackBerry devices and better devices in general this year.

Posted via CB10
    I see no touch screen in 2014. Please show the evidence.

In the earnings call they mentioned two in the 4th quarter. None where touch only.

06-19-14 09:08 AM
    I have to agree. Employees who use work phones want all touch devices.

JC is out of touch when it comes to all touch.

They do not need a killer flagship phone but they need a great all touch pocket phone that can be sold for $250 unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    myq10 and johnnyuk like this.
    06-19-14 09:23 AM
    I have to agree. Employees who use work phones want all touch devices.

JC is out of touch when it comes to all touch.

They do not need a killer flagship phone but they need a great all touch pocket phone that can be sold for $250 unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree, I can't function on an all touch screen. I need the keyboard to pound out my work emails. Not everybody is gungho about all touch phones. To say so is fallacy.
    06-19-14 09:39 AM
    I disagree, I can't function on an all touch screen. I need the keyboard to pound out my work emails. Not everybody is gungho about all touch phones. To say so is fallacy.
    Your one customer and not with the majority. The majority are for and currently using touch screen phones.

Sorry but you and folks with the same preference are the very small minority in the cell world.

06-19-14 09:46 AM
    OP, you are very opinionated and by the way BGR is trash.
    bungaboy and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    06-19-14 10:10 AM
    Ouch.

I have the Z10 but as much as I enjoy it, I'm ready to upgrade to the BlackBerry Classic as soon as it's released because I want the physical keyboard and the tool belt. The all touch screen is great for some but not for all. The passport model phone pictures look great, but it's almost big enough to be a tablet! Too big for me.

There's room for all kinds of BlackBerry phone models for all wants and needs. If you insist that there should be only touch screen models, perhaps you should go visit an Apple store?

I know I'm not the only BlackBerry user who feels this way and it's great that BlackBerry is responding to the wants and needs of everyone during this difficult restructuring time!!!

Mary Margaret From my Z-10
    06-19-14 10:23 AM
    i personally want to go back to keyboard and to be honest only reason i got a Z10 is because Q10 came out later. If the Q10 came out same time i would have one to go with my Z30 as well.
    06-19-14 10:27 AM
    There shouldn't be ONLY all-touch models, but when those make up 99% of the market, you can't go more than a year without introducing a new one (not counting the Z3 - not available in US).
    06-19-14 10:30 AM
    Most people go out to a fast food restaurant and grab a quick bite For lunch. A lot fewer people go high end restaurant for a nice sit down lunch. So should you shut down all the high end restaurants because the majority of people are eating fast food?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 10:34 AM
    If BB is able to get a near monopoly on part of the smartphone market (keyboard devices), why shouldn't they? They make the best keyboard, so why not capitalize on that and get guaranteed revenue from it? Besides, there will be more touchscreen devices coming out, most likely early 2015.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    acovey likes this.
    06-19-14 10:37 AM
    BlackBerry makes the best keyboards in the mobile space. If anything they own that chunk of the pie as small as it may be. So yes, they are still going to make them.
    This is the reason why no other company makes qwerty phones. Qwerty is and has been BlackBerry. (and company's have tried Samsung, HTC, Motorola)

Also for all the people bemoaning the lack of a slab being released this year, take note of the phones already released. 3 are all-touch (Z5, Z10, Z30) and 2, well in all seriousness 1 qwerty (Q10 and kinda the Q5) the reason I say kinda is that the only one that even made a small blip on the radar was the Q10

For those that want all touch at the moment the Z30 is the best option and has yet to become (arguably) obsolete.

In the MCD (Mobile Computing Device) space everyone is producing glass slabs and form factor no longer plays a part. So with BlackBerry making 2 qwerty phones they physically differentiate themselves from the competition and they focus on a strong point of theirs, because BlackBerry is now a niche market and what is more niche than qwerty phones?
    Mr4aces and acovey like this.
    06-19-14 10:49 AM
    If BB is able to get a near monopoly on part of the smartphone market (keyboard devices), why shouldn't they?
    They already have a monopoly

Unfortunately it's a rather small market at the moment. However persuasions change all the time
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-19-14 10:52 AM
    There shouldn't be ONLY all-touch models, but when those make up 99% of the market, you can't go more than a year without introducing a new one (not counting the Z3 - not available in US).
    They have the Z30
    06-19-14 10:53 AM
    Just to weigh in here...as a long time Blackberry user, I see the need for both a physical AND touch keyboard in the marketplace at least until the traditionalists are up to speed with the touch screen devices. Eventually and in the not too distant future I would think, the physical keyboard will fade into the sunset as a historical benchmark.

And for the record, Blackberry has the best touch screen typing experience out there...no one is even close!!!
    Bonnie Bonzai and Mr4aces like this.
    06-19-14 11:03 AM
    Best pkb and best vkb doesn't seem to have helped them much.
    06-19-14 11:16 AM
    OP, you are very opinionated and by the way BGR is trash.
    The chart was not produced by BGR. They simply reported it.

Yes, I am opinionated.

kbz1960, CMcRob, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    06-19-14 11:27 AM
    Ouch.

I have the Z10 but as much as I enjoy it, I'm ready to upgrade to the BlackBerry Classic as soon as it's released because I want the physical keyboard and the tool belt. The all touch screen is great for some but not for all. The passport model phone pictures look great, but it's almost big enough to be a tablet! Too big for me.

There's room for all kinds of BlackBerry phone models for all wants and needs. If you insist that there should be only touch screen models, perhaps you should go visit an Apple store?

I know I'm not the only BlackBerry user who feels this way and it's great that BlackBerry is responding to the wants and needs of everyone during this difficult restructuring time!!!

Mary Margaret From my Z-10
    Never said to make touch phones only so stop putting words in my mouth.
    They don't sell. Their old tech. Might have a niche market in Enterprise but no real market in the consumer end of things including BYOD.

May be room but not time. If these new phones don't make them money say goodbye to them, per JC.

06-19-14 11:31 AM
    06-19-14 11:32 AM
    Your one customer and not with the majority. The majority are for and currently using touch screen phones.

Sorry but you and folks with the same preference are the very small minority in the cell world.

Well thank JC (grin) and BlackBerry that they don't have the same opinion as you...
    Mr4aces, bungaboy and acovey like this.
    06-19-14 12:02 PM
    The only reason I decided to give BlackBerry a try was the qwerty keyboard I couldn't get on any other high-end phone.

The only reason I'll be switching away from BlackBerry later this year is that I'm on my third Q10 in less than a year due to keyboard failure.

Posted via CB10
    bbq10l likes this.
    06-19-14 12:17 PM
    Just want to say BGR is full of s**t. Today they ran a story on how Amazon Fire is crap (which is all touch, and has nice functions for consumers) then they post more BS about keyboard market share. Geller is earning his Apple pay today. Keep up the good work all.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 12:44 PM
    Just want to say BGR is full of s**t. Today they ran a story on how Amazon Fire is crap (which is all touch, and has nice functions for consumers) then they post more BS about keyboard market share. Geller is earning his Apple pay today. Keep up the good work all.

Posted via CB10
    Good Lord folks. BGR didn't make the chart!!! They reported it.

06-19-14 01:21 PM
90 123 ...