06-16-12 02:41 AM
26 12
tools
    The Milan looks great. It needs a TrackPad.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    12-07-11 11:25 PM
    Agreed. Negative.
    12-07-11 11:51 PM
    Agreed. Negative.
    Trackpad equals easy editing.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    12-07-11 11:56 PM
    I hope they have a better replacement than a trackpad.

My idea is making the bezels for scrolling with precision. The bottom is for left and right. And the side ones are for up and down (for left and right handers). And on websites and such, the scrolling would be quicker. But in text fields, it'd be used for precision.

I don't even know if that's possible. But I'm hoping.
    meganVee and CosmicHeretic like this.
    12-08-11 02:30 AM
    Just make a square area at the bottom of the bezel act like a trackpad. There should also be pg up/pg down gestures that the playbook is also lacking as far as I can tell.
    robtanz and Blackberry_boffin like this.
    12-09-11 09:37 AM
    I've been using an iPhone, and the touch screen is accurate enough for precise text editing pretty easily. The copy/paste implementation on the iPhone is very easy to use and probably faster than the trackpad after you get used to it.
    12-10-11 01:32 PM
    would get used to not having one, but i use my trackpad on my 9810 99% of the time to navigate menus over the touch screen. It will definitely be a big loss.
    Just Me and maddie1128 like this.
    12-10-11 01:35 PM
    No.

For the outdated BB OS yes, but the trackpad wouldn't be ideal at ALL with the QNX UI.
    12-10-11 02:29 PM
    trackpad would be really handy on qnx, ESPECIALLY when trying to move the cursor around in those fiddly little text boxes
    jkomo001 and Just Me like this.
    12-11-11 11:21 AM
    So I test a variety of devices and I am really at a loss on the need for a trackpad on a touchscreen device. Granted this one appears to be a torch variant but still I see no reason for a trackpad unless we're looking at a Bold variant...

PG
    12-11-11 01:22 PM
    I've had a Torch since release day in 2010 (now a 9810), and I use the trackpad every day and often. I don't have to zoom in on webpages to hit links with the trackpad or to enter text in forms (to select fields), and selecting text for copying is 1000X easier.

I really, really wish the playbook had a touchpad; sites like this one would be so much more pleasant to use. For example, more often than not when navigating pages in a thread, instead of hitting "4" I hit "3" or "5". Also scrolling leads to unintentionally selecting links you happen to touch while trying to scroll - this doesn't happen with a trackpad. I'm actually thinking of getting a bluetooth mouse for the PB because the experience can be so frustrating. I can't even imagine how bad it would be on a screen half the size.

the trackpad makes the whole experience much, much, much better.
    Last edited by jonty12; 02-04-12 at 11:03 PM.
    maddie1128, nycspaces. and Just Me like this.
    12-11-11 02:08 PM
    Just make a square area at the bottom of the bezel act like a trackpad. There should also be pg up/pg down gestures that the playbook is also lacking as far as I can tell.
    Neat ideas. Id have to try it out first.

I've been using an iPhone, and the touch screen is accurate enough for precise text editing pretty easily. The copy/paste implementation on the iPhone is very easy to use and probably faster than the trackpad after you get used to it.
    Sorry mate but you are way wrong there. Holding the alt key and draging with the trackpad is way better than any iteration of select/copy/paste I have experienced on any platform.

Looks like I'll be lurking with the other original BBOS for a few years to come. Sure would have been nice to jump on right at the start with the BBX phones. Dan Dodge, you and QNX continue to impress me but BBX is no where near a replacement for my trusted BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Just Me; 12-13-11 at 02:45 AM.
    12-13-11 02:28 AM

Sorry mate but you are way wrong there. Holding the alt key and draging with the trackpad is way better than any iteration of select/copy/paste I have experienced on any platform.

Looks like I'll be lurking with the other original BBOS for a few years to come. Sure would have been nice to jump on right at the start with the BBX phones. Dan Dodge, you and QNX continue to impress me but BBX is no where near a replacement for my trusted BlackBerry.
    I'm getting a Bold 9700 in the mail today or tomorrow. I'll try out copy/paste with the trackpad compared to my iPhone and get back to you on that.
    12-13-11 03:13 PM
    I'm getting a Bold 9700 in the mail today or tomorrow. I'll try out copy/paste with the trackpad compared to my iPhone and get back to you on that.
    What he said is true. Having owned an Android and BB, I can tell you text selection is absolutely the best with a trackpad.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    12-13-11 07:06 PM
    Personally...I'd like to see all the function buttons retained
    send/menu/track pad/back/end
    Those buttons assure BB authenticity..AND, it would make the device not look so mundane.
    maddie1128, Just Me and jkomo001 like this.
    12-13-11 07:30 PM
    Im curious to know what you think...
    12-18-11 11:22 PM
    No.

For the outdated BB OS yes, but the trackpad wouldn't be ideal at ALL with the QNX UI.
    Sorry but I curse my PlayBook out all the time for not having a trackpad!
    jonty12 likes this.
    12-20-11 09:16 AM
    This phone needs to include a trackpad
    12-20-11 11:09 AM
    I agree with the majority here and want a trackpad. I will surely miss my buttons too. I use them all the time. Great that I can do so much with gloves on with my 9850.
    12-21-11 12:16 AM
    I agree with the majority here and want a trackpad. I will surely miss my buttons too. I use them all the time. Great that I can do so much with gloves on with my 9850.
    The other buttons wouldn't be that big a deal to me. In fact, soft buttons will probably make for a better user experience in conjunction with he touch screen. A button press requires different pressure and mechanics than a screen touch, which sometimes means changing your grip on the device when going from one to the other. One of the things I always said would make BBOS better on the Torch is to add duplicate soft buttons on-screen for things like the browser and messaging apps just for that reason ... especially the Back button in the browser.
    12-22-11 01:59 PM
    It's still going to be a while for the device to come out... RIM problably can add a trackpad to the final design.

I actually like the trackpad. I'm using it as a joystick for a game I'm designing and it works really really well.
    12-22-11 03:58 PM
    Track pad and rotation lock.
    05-30-12 08:16 PM

Seems very odd to me that the use of the trackpad is so important to you that it outweighs ALL the other improvements that come with BB10. Especially considering it's not the absence of a feature, it's just something [you find] not as efficient.
    06-02-12 06:16 PM
    Seems very odd to me that the use of the trackpad is so important to you that it outweighs ALL the other improvements that come with BB10. Especially considering it's not the absence of a feature, it's just something [you find] not as efficient.
    What useful improvements will BB10 bring over BB 7 ?
    06-04-12 02:37 PM
    trackpad is important for non-mobile optimized sites. This enables people to click on small buttons/links.
    06-10-12 02:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD