05-20-19 08:57 AM
74 123
tools
    I hope the thought of an all touch is incorrect. Far too many slabs on the Android market and one can pick any price point and or features and throw the HUB on them. A Samsung is fully encrypted and is a safe all touch option. Buy one for half price when a new model is released and you will still have one or two OS versions and 2 years patching.

I really hope BlackBerry Mobile stays with a revised, enhanced PKB Key version. And supports existing for 3 years per the Enterprise program.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-16-19 06:08 PM
    In an ocean already full and saturated of slab phones?
    Not sure that would be a good move, since they apparently already having hard times selling unique kind of devices...
    Never said it would be a good move. Perhaps that's why I also think the name is just... leftovers. Lots of codenames have appeared for years and then just vanished. Whole series of devices earned codenames and specs and even prototypes and never hit the market.
    05-16-19 06:09 PM
    Never said it would be a good move. Perhaps that's why I also think the name is just... leftovers. Lots of codenames have appeared for years and then just vanished.
    Yeah I do remember of those.
    Sure a codename isn't necessarily relevant of the kind of device that could pop up if it pop up in the end.

Impressionnisme is the key word for me
    05-16-19 06:14 PM
    I hope the thought of an all touch is incorrect. Far too many slabs on the Android market and one can pick any price point and or features and throw the HUB on them. A Samsung is fully encrypted and is a safe all touch option. Buy one for half price when a new model is released and you will still have one or two OS versions and 2 years patching.

I really hope BlackBerry Mobile stays with a revised, enhanced PKB Key version. And supports existing for 3 years per the Enterprise program.
    ^This, period.
    Sigewif likes this.
    05-16-19 06:38 PM
    Never said it would be a good move. Perhaps that's why I also think the name is just... leftovers. Lots of codenames have appeared for years and then just vanished. Whole series of devices earned codenames and specs and even prototypes and never hit the market.
    There has never been a model number assigned (BBJ100) that didn't amount to anything though. The only exception may be the BBH100 Evolve X, but it existed - it just didn't get to production. It's also from (cough) Optiemus.
    BBuso77 likes this.
    05-16-19 07:01 PM
    There has never been a model number assigned (BBJ100) that didn't amount to anything though. The only exception may be the BBH100 Evolve X, but it existed - it just didn't get to production. It's also from (cough) Optiemus.
    Therefore, the BBJ100 is either a KEY3 or a Priv 2
    05-16-19 08:39 PM
    Its name is.....

HYPERVISOR

And it runs every non Android, non-iOS Mobile OS ever in a BlackBerry secured QNX emulator mode. Palm, BBOS, Symbian, BB10, Linux, Windows Mobile, etc. All on a modern, mid-tier hardware platform for $489. It has a headphone jack, a decent camera, and hardware kill switches for the GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi and cellular antennas as well as the camera and microphone.

And it's packaged in a foldable slider form factor with a PKB that can use either a 16:9 or 1:1 aspect ratio, depending on user preference.

It's the phone that will unite all niche markets into one 10% of market share monster!

Hallelujah! HYPERVISOR is risen!!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-16-19 08:48 PM
    Very true indeed.
    05-16-19 08:53 PM
    Its name is.....

HYPERVISOR

And it runs every non Android, non-iOS Mobile OS ever in a BlackBerry secured QNX emulator mode. Palm, BBOS, Symbian, BB10, Linux, Windows Mobile, etc. All on a modern, mid-tier hardware platform for $489. It has a headphone jack, a decent camera, and hardware kill switches for the GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, WiFi and cellular antennas as well as the camera and microphone.

And it's packaged in a foldable slider form factor with a PKB that can use either a 16:9 or 1:1 aspect ratio, depending on user preference.

It's the phone that will unite all niche markets into one 10% of market share monster!

Ah-ah-ah-ahhhh! Before your lips push out the words: slider, square, 1:1, or fold, remember, this road is not headed to crazy town. It is headed to reality town and is paved with rational thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-19 08:59 PM
    Its name is.....

HYPERVISOR

This is the kind of sane, rational speculation I expect on CrackBerry. Anything else is boring prognosticating.
    05-16-19 10:07 PM
    Funny.. I imagine Monet as a full touch while everyone suspects a 'KEY3'.
    I would like to see an all touch passport form factor. Folding phones are now talking up the wider screen aspect. There are many advantages to a phone like this:

* Huge battery capacity
    * Dual speakers
    * Excellent for business use and media consumption
    * pocketable (unlike these ridiculous 21:9 toothpicks)
    * VKB app can be modified to have adjustable width / height.

Android Q gestures, narrow bezels and a wider screen could be a market winner.
    Last edited by Gene Fells; 05-17-19 at 04:59 AM.
    05-17-19 04:28 AM
    I would like to see an all touch passport form factor. Folding phones are now talking up the wider screen aspect. There are many advantages to a phone like this:

* Huge battery capacity
    * Dual speakers
    * Excellent for business use and media consumption
    * pocketable (unlike these ridiculous 21:9 toothpicks)
    * VKB app can be modified to have adjustable width / height.

Android Q gestures, narrow bezels and a wider screen could be a market winner.
    BlackBerry TAX..... it has clearly been shown that the BlackBerry name nor the Android Secure security refinements are not enough to support a BlackBerry Slab. Whatever they build is going to be 40%+ more than the same product without the those...

The only market they have is doing something that no one else is bothering with... PKBs.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-17-19 08:38 AM
    BlackBerry TAX..... it has clearly been shown that the BlackBerry name nor the Android Secure security refinements are not enough to support a BlackBerry Slab. Whatever they build is going to be 40%+ more than the same product without the those...

The only market they have is doing something that no one else is bothering with... PKBs.
    I understand your comments in regards to the motion. The idea of a different form factor may attract those outside of the small niche PKB crowd if a wider generic slab was put to the market.

Maybe android one OS would be a better option.
    05-17-19 08:46 AM
    A person could get KEYed up about a comment like that.
    Actually I do know one person who would be happy but I don't happen to be that person.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-19 02:01 PM
    05-17-19 02:06 PM
    I doubt it will be an all-touch. Unless the Motion sold much than anyone realized, it wouldn't make sense to release yet another all-touch slab into an already over-saturated market. A PKB device (KEY3) would make much more sense, as the keyboard is what clearly sets it apart from the rest.

I expect a KEY3 (or whatever they decide to call it) would look similar to the KEY2 and KEY2 LE with only minor stylistic changes. I expect improvements with keyboard gesture sensitivity and the fingerprint sensor. I also expect the headphone jack to remain.

I don't expect the screen to go "bezel-less", although I would expect the bezels to be much thinner. I don't see why they would go with a notch, but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

The biggest improvement I expect is to the rear cameras.

That's what I expect.

Now what I hope for is different.

I hope for a portrait slider - one that addresses the major gripes of the PRIV. One that has a much better keyboard, better battery-life, and a SoC that doesn't overheat.

I think a slider, done well, would be a good seller. You can have the confidence of the BlackBerry physical keyboard when you want it without sacrificing screen real estate.
    the_boon and Tim-ANC like this.
    05-17-19 04:27 PM
    I doubt it will be an all-touch. Unless the Motion sold much than anyone realized, it wouldn't make sense to release yet another all-touch slab into an already over-saturated market. A PKB device (KEY3) would make much more sense, as the keyboard is what clearly sets it apart from the rest.

I expect a KEY3 (or whatever they decide to call it) would look similar to the KEY2 and KEY2 LE with only minor stylistic changes. I expect improvements with keyboard gesture sensitivity and the fingerprint sensor. I also expect the headphone jack to remain.

I don't expect the screen to go "bezel-less", although I would expect the bezels to be much thinner. I don't see why they would go with a notch, but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

The biggest improvement I expect is to the rear cameras.

That's what I expect.

Now what I hope for is different.

I hope for a portrait slider - one that addresses the major gripes of the PRIV. One that has a much better keyboard, better battery-life, and a SoC that doesn't overheat.

I think a slider, done well, would be a good seller. You can have the confidence of the BlackBerry physical keyboard when you want it without sacrificing screen real estate.
    What you hope for is what I hope for: an updated, awesome PRIV 2 device. Also, since you mentioned it, I think notches are quite ugly on phones. It is like a car windshield visor that you can't move out of the way. I HOPE they don't go that route.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-19 07:00 PM
    Interesting you say that...
    05-18-19 08:24 AM
    Its name is.....

HYPERVISOR

And sat phone capable
    05-18-19 01:51 PM
    If it is a BBMo product... my guess it will look much like the KEY2, but with a notch and hopefully no navigation "area".
    What does notch mean? Why is it important to have or not have?
    05-18-19 01:53 PM
    What does notch mean? Why is it important to have or not have?
    Here is an example. You decide if you want one or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Imagine with me, if you will...-img_20190518_135801_edit.png  
    Tim-ANC and hplovecraft like this.
    05-18-19 02:01 PM
    Here is an example. You decide if you want one or not.
    Oh, so it gives a modicum more of screen space? What phones have that? Never seen on a Berry or Samsung
    05-18-19 02:33 PM
    I find interesting that people say "we did this thing this one time. The results were bad therefore it won't work next time."

In this industry, timing is everything. Just because the Apple Newton didn't do too well didn't stop them from releasing the iPad years later.

When Apple railed publicly against larger screen sizes in the past when they were at 3.5in (iPhone 4, 4S; same size as K1/K2, go figure), that didn't stop them from following the market when it went bigger.

People wanted different things in the past than they do today. They'll want different things in the future.

Just because the motion did "just ok" (not great - also: my assumption, having never seen the P&L) when it came out, doesn't really preclude BlackBerry from going all touch again in the future.

In the end, we don't really know what will come out. Our wants here on this fan-boy & fan-girl site doesn't necessarily align with the broader BlackBerry market necessarily.

They'll release something. Individuals will either like or dislike it and vote with their wallets when that time comes.
    Last edited by IceCreamPlz; 05-18-19 at 04:32 PM.
    05-18-19 02:34 PM
    Oh, so it gives a modicum more of screen space? What phones have that? Never seen on a Berry or Samsung
    Pretty much any newer slab has one.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC and the_boon like this.
    05-18-19 02:47 PM
    Pretty much any newer slab has one.

Posted via CB10
    Or some variation. A teardrop like the Essential Phone, and someone did a triangular wedge in the middle.

Samsung held off until the S10 when they went for the hole-punch sized group of dead pixels in the upper right corner. Oh, yeah, that's the camera hole.

Looks stupid. They all do. Yeah, that's my opinion, and I'm owning it.
    05-18-19 03:07 PM
74 123