12-03-10 09:27 PM
73 123
tools
    I would imagine RIM has other focus' than the consumer market that will pay itself forward more than others can imagine:

RT @crackberry: BlackBerry 6 earns FIPS Security Certification for U.S. Government Agencies - BlackBerry 6 earns FIPS Security Certification for U.S. Government Agencies | CrackBerry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 03:20 PM
    I would imagine RIM has other focus' than the consumer market that will pay itself forward more than others can imagine:

RT @crackberry: BlackBerry 6 earns FIPS Security Certification for U.S. Government Agencies - BlackBerry 6 earns FIPS Security Certification for U.S. Government Agencies | CrackBerry.com

Only OS6 on the 9800 is approved. No other devices running OS6 are approved. Also was interesting to see that the 9700 is not approved at all (or at least I can't find it). You can go to NIST website and look at all the approved devices here: Validated 140-1 and 140-2 Cryptographic Modules

If it isn't the exact hardware/software listed on the approval, running as stated in the security policy, then it isn't FIPS approved.
    12-01-10 03:58 PM
    There's no way that the average BlackBerry user will bother with unscrewing and screwing multiple lenses.

Older rumours have said that RIM is working on a liquid filled lens, which would have a focus range from ~5cm to infinity.
    This, plus a sensor that works well in low light, and RIM would have the best camera for 90% of smartphone camera use.
    the Average user isn't using an 8MP camera either, they are changing the settings to a 4MP or so Camera for file size,
    liquid filled lenses still wont make up for quality real lenses,
    It would be an add on product to sell the extra lenses

How many DSLR owners run 18-55mm lenses, which are just horrible, and that is the only lens they every buy, but they spend the extra knowing that they COULD buy more lenses, that is an expansion RIM could work on.

but really I bet that someone like Canon will Partner with a Mobile phone maker and build a Real Digital Camera Smart Phone before smart phone makers look to really offer improvements on camera technology
    12-01-10 04:07 PM
    The Storm name is synonymous with problems in the smart-phone world. I understand you like your storm, and that is cool with me. but for those of us, and i am one of those, that have owned a "S1", well never own another Blackberry phone with the name "storm" it in.
    Well until the Storm 3 is released anyways.

You'll be there buying one along with the rest of us.

I am 100% certain that knowing what's at stake, RIM is nog gonna spend all this time and take losses in the market to release another crappy OS.

12-01-10 06:52 PM
    It gives competitors the chance to copy features before the BB comes out.
    I sure hope the new Storm has something worth copying! I can't think of anything the iPhone or Droid would want to copy off the BBs, other than their keyboard...I would love to finally see the other companies rushing to copy what we have!
    12-01-10 07:29 PM
    Great post, I think the Storm 3 is highly anticipated but as far as market share it will not have enough impact to upset the iphone or the droid line up. RIM would have greater success if they didn't give carriers exclusivity on certain devices. There are a lot of verizon and sprint customers that want the torch but simply can't get it. Droid is open to all carriers and is constantly putting out new hardware which is why its appealing.

Android is also improving the devices a lot faster than RIM. We went from 5mp and 600mhz processor in the original droid to 8mp camera and 1 ghz processor in Droid X with HD recording. And now a 1.2ghz processor in the Droid2 global and this all happened in 1yr. I'm sure the Storm3 will be a good device but its too little too late.

12-01-10 08:02 PM
    . We went from 5mp and 600mhz processor in the original droid to 8mp camera and 1 ghz processor in Droid X with HD recording.
    Do you work for android?

12-01-10 08:21 PM
    I sure hope the new Storm has something worth copying! I can't think of anything the iPhone or Droid would want to copy off the BBs, other than their keyboard...I would love to finally see the other companies rushing to copy what we have!
    Chances are they may not do a good copy.
    Take the Droid pro. It has the keyboard that the Bold has, but it's missing the space between the bottom of the keyboard and the bottom of the device.
    that may seem like nothing, but you try typing 100 words on each device, and you WILL see a difference.
    12-01-10 08:33 PM
    Do you work for android?

Nah don't get me wrong I love my bold and will be a blackberry user for life but they've gotta do something before they're left even farther behind.

12-01-10 08:34 PM
    Pretty sure that even droid has some exclusives with carriers too. I think the DX is vz only. The evo a sprint deal, etc.

lssanjose likes this.
    12-01-10 09:07 PM
    Hooty, you're right. The droid/2, X, are VZW exclusives. But there are Androids who are cross-carrier - the Galaxy S being the most obvious example.
    12-01-10 09:20 PM
    Great post, I think the Storm 3 is highly anticipated but as far as market share it will not have enough impact to upset the iphone or the droid line up. RIM would have greater success if they didn't give carriers exclusivity on certain devices. There are a lot of verizon and sprint customers that want the torch but simply can't get it. Droid is open to all carriers and is constantly putting out new hardware which is why its appealing.

Android is also improving the devices a lot faster than RIM. We went from 5mp and 600mhz processor in the original droid to 8mp camera and 1 ghz processor in Droid X with HD recording. And now a 1.2ghz processor in the Droid2 global and this all happened in 1yr. I'm sure the Storm3 will be a good device but its too little too late.

You are right on the money. RIM really only need to have the Torch, Storm, Bold, Curve and Pearl form factors, available on all carriers. That would solve a lot of the problems. You would have a Touch screen/Full Qwerty, A Full Touch Screen, A Full QWERTY high-end and low-end and a small form factor device. That is exactly why the Curve is always the best selling smartphone, it's available on all networks. You would think RIM would see the value in this.
    12-02-10 04:05 PM
    You are right on the money. RIM really only need to have the Torch, Storm, Bold, Curve and Pearl form factors, available on all carriers. That would solve a lot of the problems. You would have a Touch screen/Full Qwerty, A Full Touch Screen, A Full QWERTY high-end and low-end and a small form factor device. That is exactly why the Curve is always the best selling smartphone, it's available on all networks. You would think RIM would see the value in this.
    The curve is a big seller because it is a phenomenal device for $29. Or free with a BOGO offer. If are looking for a low cost device for texting and FB and some light web browsing you can't beat that value. Far better then a feature phone and much cheaper than the high and smartphones. It was a clear upgrade path for many people looking to get a smart phone but who didn't have $200.

In the end RIM has become a low cost, secure, messaging solution. The next gen of their devices may change this, but for now they are clearly an entry level device, or one for people have specific security needs, or don't sleep and need a 48 hour battery life.

12-02-10 04:43 PM

For the hundredth time.... Android DOES NOT...I repeat....DOES NOT MAKE ANY OF THESE PHONES!!!! Android is an OPERATING SYSTEM. Think Windows. So ANDROID isn't releasing a ton of phones or making phones "better".

makaveli28 likes this.
    12-02-10 05:27 PM
    For the hundredth time.... Android DOES NOT...I repeat....DOES NOT MAKE ANY OF THESE PHONES!!!! Android is an OPERATING SYSTEM. Think Windows. So ANDROID isn't releasing a ton of phones or making phones "better".

I'll agree with the fact Android doesn't make these phones, but the interface of Android, does make the interaction, or experience of these phones, better. That's the only part I disagree with. But, it's not exactly a shoe-in; hence, the need for a good manufacturer to make the Android experience good for users looking to move toward it.
    12-02-10 05:37 PM
    Could it be the aftermarket stuff that's the problem for RIM rather than the actual product itself?

I mean iPhone and Android devices have a far greater choice of apps for their phone. Apps for productivity and for fun and a huge number of free apps. Blackberry still lags way behind in the app game.

There are so few decent apps that take advantage of the Torch's capabilities despite that phone being available for some time now and I therefore guess that when a next generation of the Storm comes out there will be a long wait forapps again.

And to me it seems obvious but now the Torch is out and in the market why would you go back to developing a product line that never really caught on anyway and that is in essence superseded by the Torch concept?

The Torch has the touch screen capability and a slide out keyboard, the Storm 1 and 2 have just the touch screen. Now you've added to that with the Torch why go back and develop a superseded platform when you've already enhanced it. By all means develop the Torch, enhance it technically but also make encouragement for app developers to get their fingers out.

There are so many apps that I'd love to have on my BB that I see annoyingly advertised as being available for both iPhone and Android and I think that reputation is what puts a lot of people off.
    12-02-10 06:29 PM
    I'll agree with the fact Android doesn't make these phones, but the interface of Android, does make the interaction, or experience of these phones, better. That's the only part I disagree with. But, it's not exactly a shoe-in; hence, the need for a good manufacturer to make the Android experience good for users looking to move toward it.
    The hardware side of RIM has been a failure in the past yes. But the fact that OS6 didn't make it onto the majority of phones is a good sign that QNX when available will bring with it phones with the specs everyone is hoping for.

12-02-10 06:30 PM
    Could it be the aftermarket stuff that's the problem for RIM rather than the actual product itself?

I mean iPhone and Android devices have a far greater choice of apps for their phone. Apps for productivity and for fun and a huge number of free apps. Blackberry still lags way behind in the app game.

There are so few decent apps that take advantage of the Torch's capabilities despite that phone being available for some time now and I therefore guess that when a next generation of the Storm comes out there will be a long wait forapps again.

And to me it seems obvious but now the Torch is out and in the market why would you go back to developing a product line that never really caught on anyway and that is in essence superseded by the Torch concept?

The Torch has the touch screen capability and a slide out keyboard, the Storm 1 and 2 have just the touch screen. Now you've added to that with the Torch why go back and develop a superseded platform when you've already enhanced it. By all means develop the Torch, enhance it technically but also make encouragement for app developers to get their fingers out.

There are so many apps that I'd love to have on my BB that I see annoyingly advertised as being available for both iPhone and Android and I think that reputation is what puts a lot of people off.
    This may seem like an ehancement to you personally, but to many other people, myself included, the lack of surepress and adding a physical keyboard were taking away the things that WE loved in the Storm series.

corymcnutt likes this.
    12-02-10 06:34 PM
    I had my Storm from about two months after launch. I used it up til about two weeks ago when the backlight died. It wasn't much more to buy a used Storm 2 as opposed to replacing the LCD so that's what I did. And I'm happy with it. The added physical keys and lack of surepress is the main reason I went with it rather than upgrading to a torch.
    12-02-10 06:37 PM
    The added physical keys and lack of surepress is the main reason I went with it rather than upgrading to a torch.
    I'm Confused with this statement... The storm doesn't have physical keys... in fact the front piece is now all 1 piece of glass. No individual buttons like the storm 1 and it has a much better surepress than the storm 1 had... So yeah... Very confused on your comment.
    12-03-10 05:16 AM
    I'm Confused with this statement... The storm doesn't have physical keys... in fact the front piece is now all 1 piece of glass. No individual buttons like the storm 1 and it has a much better surepress than the storm 1 had... So yeah... Very confused on your comment.
    Sorry I was at work where they frown upon being on my phone so I couldn't get to descriptive with my post lol. Let me clarify. The added keys and the lack of surepress on the Torch is the reason that I chose to buy a used Storm 2 to tie me over til the Storm 3 rather than using my free upgrade to get a Torch. Hope that helps you understand.

12-03-10 05:22 AM
    I completly agree with this as well. The only device you can find common to all the carriers is a curve. A curve is all that most people need. It will do any type of comunication other than video chat. It has internet capabilities, and is cheap. But in order to sell more devices RIM needs to quit contracting their best devices to 1 carrier. I have so many friends that would have bought a torch if it would have been available on a CDMA network. I know 4 poeple in my family alone that would have loved to have purchased another BB if they had some type of device competing with the same form as the devices running android. 2 bought samsung moments, 2 bought samsung intercept. Not high end devices but touch screen is what they wanted.

Personally I couldn't care less about a physical keyboard. That is one thing I have had trouble with the keys on RIM's full QWERTY keyboards. They are too small for me. But I made due. Many here like the tiny little keys. So to make the masses happy RIM needs more devices on all the networks. And the high end devices must have performance that will support future software/apps.
    12-03-10 09:30 AM
    This may seem like an ehancement to you personally, but to many other people, myself included, the lack of surepress and adding a physical keyboard were taking away the things that WE loved in the Storm series.

Similar experience. I thought that if I had a torch it would be full of BB goodness. I was stoked when my friend was getting a torch, because I could play around with it. Then I borrowed it and played around with it... and suddenly realised how much I like the SurePress. So much that I no longer have any desire to get a torch!
    12-03-10 09:27 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD