12-03-10 09:27 PM
73 123
tools
    When the Blackberry was first introduced it was driven by business. The smartphone market was originally driven by business, but what has happened (probably starting with the iphone) the average consumer has seen the value in having a smartphone and now the consumer market is driving smartphone sales. That's why Google got into it. They didn't get into it for business users, they saw the potential in the consumer market. I feel like RIM has been slow to come to this conclusion. Consumer features is what will drive smartphone sales. RIM has to develop a knock out consumer friendly phone in order to stay relevant and it has to happen soon. The smartphone roster on Verizon is insane Droid 2, Droid X, Droid Pro, Incredble and Fascinate. Adding the iPhone to that line up is almost just not fair. RIM has to go hard or go home. If they think they can be conservative with the Storm 3 and still survive, they are fooling themselves.

The best possible situation would be for RIM to drop the Playbook and shortly after drop a Storm 3 running QNX OS before April. If they can do this it could breathe life into their whole lineup. If not, then I think they are dead in the water because the iPhone 5 will be just around the corner along with some very impressive Android devices.
    The_Engine likes this.
    11-30-10 12:46 PM
    The Storm name is synonymous with problems in the smart-phone Enthusiast world. I understand you like your storm, and that is cool with me. I have owned a "S1", and will never own another Blackberry phone with the name "storm" it in.
    ^^^ Fixed

still millions upon millions of potential users out their that have no idea that the Blackberry Storm ever existed, so Millions of people Blackberry is just Blackberry, they don't know about different version, and Apple is the Cool phone, they are only starting to hear about Android because of TV commercials but they still have their feature phones and are not yet in the smartphone market place.
    11-30-10 04:01 PM
    As stated before, I dont think specs are as important as performance. The new blackberrys need to have glitz as some of the other phones that are being produced today. And have the performance to go with it. All we are looking for is a device that can run software/apps today and those that will be release 18months from now. Not a device that just cuts the mustard for todays apps. I really think RIM biggest struggle is how they continue to contract phones to cetain carriers. The torch would have sold many many more copies if it were on a different networks.
    Right now the future of devices are large sceen touch sceens. But you still have to satisify the tradtional BB users. I still prefer how a blackberry operates but when it comes to internet useage the sceen was just way to small. So what choice did I have, move over to big red and get a S2 or by and android from TMO. I would have opted for a torch if it was not on Orange.
    11-30-10 04:06 PM
    ^^^ Fixed

still millions upon millions of potential users out their that have no idea that the Blackberry Storm ever existed, so Millions of people Blackberry is just Blackberry, they don't know about different version, and Apple is the Cool phone, they are only starting to hear about Android because of TV commercials but they still have their feature phones and are not yet in the smartphone market place.
    Not fixed. I can't count the number of times that complete strangers (not enthusiasts as you like to claim) walked up to me while I was handling my Storm and asked questions like "Is that the Blackberry Storm? I heard it sucks." The Storm name is forever poisoned. Face it. That's why VZW didn't even market the S2 .
    11-30-10 04:14 PM
    ^^^ Fixed

When it comes to the UI, and OS. To most people a blackberry is a blackberry. But those of us that frequent the Crackberry forums or similar agree that the storm 1 was a POS phone and have a bad taste in our mouth about it. to the average joe and jane knucklehead that are uneducated about cell phones and all things smart(phone) they don't know. But RIMs customer base is mainly return customers. Not new customers.
    11-30-10 04:22 PM
    Not fixed. I can't count the number of times that complete strangers (not enthusiasts as you like to claim) walked up to me while I was handling my Storm and asked questions like "Is that the Blackberry Storm? I heard it sucks." The Storm name is forever poisoned. Face it. That's why VZW didn't even market the S2 .
    You know they are Not Enthusiasts?
    if they are asking about Peoples phones would you not think it is something they care about?

You don't see Random people walking up to a limited edition car and asking about it if they didn't know it existed before hand and are car enthusiast enough to know that it is special,
    11-30-10 05:13 PM
    When it comes to the UI, and OS. To most people a blackberry is a blackberry. But those of us that frequent the Crackberry forums or similar agree that the storm 1 was a POS phone and have a bad taste in our mouth about it. to the average joe and jane knucklehead that are uneducated about cell phones and all things smart(phone) they don't know. But RIMs customer base is mainly return customers. Not new customers.

Now I half agree with you, according to Polls and surveys RIM customers are NOT mainly return customers but new customers, because RIM customers are leaving in droves for other platforms.... I do agree that many of RIM's customers are in fact return Customers.
    and the Storm 1 was BAD!, that I wont deny, I just really do not think that the Storm name has been killed, I think many Storm owners would give a Storm 3 a chance AFTER it gets solid reviews, they wont gamble and be early adopters, but they are not writing off the Storm as a brandname.

And MANY Storm users are waiting for another SurePress device, I can't understand why, but it is a love hate product, I have customers who really like my torch, except the touch screen, "it doesn't click, I love my clicky screen"
    no accounting for taste
    11-30-10 05:19 PM
    I doubt the name will ever change. And despite the S1 being as uppopular as it was, I still rather it not change. And its not because the Storm name is so cool.... IT's NOT! But RIMs recent name selection shows that they have evolved neither wisdom or creativity .... Torch.... Style???? Hmmmmmm I think I rather keep "Storm" before I hear another rediculous BB name like Turbo or Typhoon
    lssanjose likes this.
    11-30-10 08:11 PM
    I agree with the portrait keyboard. Everyone I know with a droid never used the landscape keyboard and I was the same way when I had the droid. It gets annoying when you have to turn the phone, slide the keyboard out, type, slide it back in, then turn the phone back around all just to send a text and continue what you were doing. RIM was right when they made the slider a portrait one.
    I disagree. I think its more a matter of preference. I used to have a Droid 2, and I have quite a few friends who have Droids, and we all used the slide out keyboard the most, and it was the most convenient. I really think its a matter of preference.
    11-30-10 10:03 PM
    Can i ask why an 8MP camera seems to be the magic number? Are you people aware that when it comes to mobile devices the more the MP doesn't always mean a better picture?

Other than that, i think they know, and that is why they have been quite with the details regarding the next wave of phones.
    No. Most people are not aware of that, which is why it has to be there.
    11-30-10 10:48 PM
    Excellent point!
    11-30-10 10:56 PM
    As I look at the smartphone market it seems to me that 2011 will be a make or break year for RIM and it starts with the release of the Storm 3. the Torch failed to give RIM the boost they were looking for and they continue to lose market share to android phones and iphones at a brisk pace. I believe if RIM fails to deliver with the Storm 3, they will be so far behind in the consumer market that it may not even be worth pursuing any longer. A Storm 3 with a 1ghz processor, 8mp camera and 1gb RAM running a QNX OS and released in the first quarter 2011 should be their goal. anything short of that and I think they are doomed. Soon Verizon will not only be offering top of the line Android phones (Droid X, Droid 2, Incredible, Fascinate) but also the Iphone 4. The Storm 3 has a very steep hill to climb. I'm rooting for RIM.
    I'm getting a 12 megapixel camera with every feature I need for $100 so I don't need the cell phone camera for important vacation pics, just quick occasional snapshots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 12:07 AM
    Excellent point!
    I actually agree here as well

a 8MP Camera will be a selling feature over a 5MP Camera,

just like Canon was able to Sell the Rebel XSi for more Than the Rebel XS because the XSi had a higher pixel count, but the XS actually took far better photo due to density on the sensor.

WHAT would be slick of RIM to do is put a 5MP Camera on the device, and a way to attach lenses, with 2 or 3 lens options, That would be something that could really be marketed.
    12-01-10 12:15 AM
    I actually agree here as well

a 8MP Camera will be a selling feature over a 5MP Camera,

just like Canon was able to Sell the Rebel XSi for more Than the Rebel XS because the XSi had a higher pixel count, but the XS actually took far better photo due to density on the sensor.

WHAT would be slick of RIM to do is put a 5MP Camera on the device, and a way to attach lenses, with 2 or 3 lens options, That would be something that could really be marketed.
    I like this idea as well.
    12-01-10 12:24 AM
    ehh, the idea of lenses seems cool initially but i think most people just want to point and shoot with a camera phone. If they needs lenses they need a real camera.
    12-01-10 12:49 AM
    I think lenses would be over doing it. I would however like to see a front facing camera. I think the video chat thing is going to really take off with LTE.
    12-01-10 12:52 AM
    ehh, the idea of lenses seems cool initially but i think most people just want to point and shoot with a camera phone. If they needs lenses they need a real camera.
    The lenses would be added value if done well, the phone should be able to take a photo without them, because I agree, MOST people would never use the lenses, BUT those that want the "better pictures" that an 8MP phone camera apparently could bring would purchase the extra lenses for their phones.

I think lenses would be over doing it. I would however like to see a front facing camera. I think the video chat thing is going to really take off with LTE.
    I suspect front facing will be a standard moving forward.
    But I still think Lenses would be great! I would most certainly use a MacroLens on my smartphone regularly, having to have a Camera is a pain since I can't email the photo off immediately when a customer is requesting a warranty claim. but even my Torch Camera isn't quite good enough for detailed shots.
    12-01-10 12:58 AM
    Me personally, I'd prefer it if RIM stuck with a high quality 5mp camera and put in some really good lenses into the unit itself.
    lssanjose likes this.
    12-01-10 09:55 AM
    Me personally, I'd prefer it if RIM stuck with a high quality 5mp camera and put in some really good lenses into the unit itself.
    Agreed. It's all about the lens quality. I still don't know why people buy Sony digital cameras...
    12-01-10 10:23 AM
    But no single lens is good for all opportunities,
    I do agree RIM needs a quality general purpose lens, BUT if RIM made it that you could unscrew the lens from the device and screw on a different lens, maybe one with 10 times optical zoom, or a Macro Lens, or a fisheye lens,

you're not going to see much in the way of shutter speed changes, I have seem a lot of DIY things for putting lenses and flashes on iphones, so there has to be a market out there interested in this beyond just me.
    12-01-10 11:10 AM
    But no single lens is good for all opportunities,
    I do agree RIM needs a quality general purpose lens, BUT if RIM made it that you could unscrew the lens from the device and screw on a different lens, maybe one with 10 times optical zoom, or a Macro Lens, or a fisheye lens,

you're not going to see much in the way of shutter speed changes, I have seem a lot of DIY things for putting lenses and flashes on iphones, so there has to be a market out there interested in this beyond just me.
    There's no way that the average BlackBerry user will bother with unscrewing and screwing multiple lenses.

Older rumours have said that RIM is working on a liquid filled lens, which would have a focus range from ~5cm to infinity.
    This, plus a sensor that works well in low light, and RIM would have the best camera for 90% of smartphone camera use.
    12-01-10 11:31 AM
    Agreed. It's all about the lens quality. I still don't know why people buy Sony digital cameras...

I have a sony DSC-S85 that is going on 9 years old 4mp. It was one of the earlier DSLR cameras. It has Zeis lens and take better pictures than most of the point and shoot, and cheap DSLR cameras on the market today. It blows my canon 1200si 12mp out of the water. The sony is on its last leg though because 128mb memory sticks for it run about $75 because they are so rare and the camera can't use anything else other than the orginal memory stick.

It would be nice to be able to quit guessing and speculating and have some real info from RIM on what the new devices would be.
    12-01-10 12:36 PM
    I don't see the harm in saying, "here are the devices we are working on, these are some of the projected specs and release dates". I guess maybe it hurts the sale of the current devices on the market if you know that something better is coming 6 month's from now.
    12-01-10 01:14 PM
    I don't care about the Torch It isn't a Verizon phone and probably won't ever be.
    I like my Bold and am happy with it. I do wish though, there was a webkit for the 5.0
    I personally do not like how the icons are set on the 6.0 nor do I like how the battery drains on it. So I have downgraded to the .975 and it is much better for me.
    I know there are those who rave about the 6.0 and there are those of us who still prefer the 5.0 I know down the line there will be no choice.......it will be the 6.0
    But I do prefer the layout of the 5.0
    12-01-10 01:25 PM
    I don't see the harm in saying, "here are the devices we are working on, these are some of the projected specs and release dates". I guess maybe it hurts the sale of the current devices on the market if you know that something better is coming 6 month's from now.
    It gives competitors the chance to copy features before the BB comes out.
    12-01-10 02:54 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD