07-14-14 08:28 AM
312 ... 56789 ...
tools
    For me it's like this:

BlackBerry makes a slider, preferably with the hard buttons and trackpad, and they get hundreds of dollars more of my money.

They don't, and they don't. I keep using my Z10 'til it breaks, and if it breaks or is lost, I buy a refurb / used Z10 to replace it, not a new device.

In short, BlackBerry's got all the money they're going to get from me EVER, until a BB10+ slider is available. I'm sure they care deeply.
    08-09-13 06:05 PM
    Just to be clear this is a fan concept. Not real.

Attachment 191193
    08-09-13 07:05 PM
    Just to be clear this is a fan concept. Not real.

Attachment 191193
    You're crushing our dreams!

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    Alex_Hong and Bugmapper like this.
    08-09-13 08:16 PM
    BlackBerry finally finds a way to sell more phones. Talk about top heavy. They'll be dropping out of every ones hand as it appears by
    " these" spy shots. Better take the rip off insurance that carriers offer.

Posted via Z10
    08-10-13 07:18 AM
    In short, BlackBerry's got all the money they're going to get from me EVER, until a BB10+ slider is available. I'm sure they care deeply.
    Are you really that set on a sliding mechanism and a thicker device that you would skip other devices if they offered the same benefits of larger display and qwerty keyboard?

Just think if they made a wider qwerty device, you could readily move into the 4.2" - 4.5" display range without the device being too wide and rather than having a compromised qwerty experience as has always been the case with a slider, you could even have a better typing experience, is that not a device that could truly deserve the description best of both worlds that slider fans wrongly try to claim as their own?
    08-10-13 07:37 AM
    Are you really that set on a sliding mechanism and a thicker device that you would skip other devices if they offered the same benefits of larger display and qwerty keyboard?
    I'm dead set on a slider. I've been 'round the block a few times... I owned a 9900 for about 3 months as a business line device, with a Torch as my personal device and traded the 9900 for another 9810 on kijiji.
    08-10-13 07:50 AM

Just think if they made a wider qwerty device, you could readily move into the 4.2" - 4.5" display range without the device being too wide and rather than having a compromised qwerty experience as has always been the case with a slider, you could even have a better typing experience, is that not a device that could truly deserve the description best of both worlds that slider fans wrongly try to claim as their own?
    I think you didn't fully think through your ideas.
    A 4.5" device, with QWERTY keyboard attached to its narrower end, can you imagine how LONG such a device would be?
    Or let's take the square screen format, that BB decided to use for their QWERTY-devices. If you extend the length of such a screen, you would have to extend the width of the entire phone at the same measure, which would very soon lead to a phone that is simply too WIDE. I think there is not a lot of room to move left over the current Q10/Q5 screen sizes.
    Finally, if taking both of the above arguments into respect, what about a non-square, only slightly larger, portrait-oriented screen, with a keyboard underneath? This I think would not be a success on the market. The screen will not be big enough to please big screen lovers. And, handling would be quite clumsy, when being used in landscape format, with the protruding keyboard on one end.

I think ther ARE no other options that make sense, therefore a slider IS the ONLY way to offer both a larger screen plus physical keyboard in a way that makes sense. This also seems to be supported by most of the many slider-fans on this forum, who would accept a slightly thicker device, but get certain benefits in return that no other form factor offers.
    08-10-13 07:59 AM
    I'd like to propose another option and what I would LOVE to see:
    I love my 9930 and feel like it is the gold standard, but it is 2 years old now and I'd love to have a better camera, have more apps available to me, etc. So, the other day I sat down with a Q10 for 45mns. Now, I'm a diehard blackberry guy, but that was a HORRIBLE experience for me. I couldn't believe how un-intuitive it was!!! Most of the time with my phone, all I care about is being productive and efficient. When you have a lot of emails, texts, calendar entries and task lists, efficiency and minimal keystrokes is paramount. I couldn't believe how many keystrokes were needed to make a phone call or anything! I lost all my normal shortcuts. Anyway, then I ended up demoing a Samsung Note 2 for a few days. It is an absolute powerhouse and I love everything about it, but it's still waaaay slower than my 9930 at what I do most. Without a keyboard, it just takes too long to do everything. Also, the screen is monstrous and one handed operation is difficult. It got me thinking though that if I had my 9930 keyboard at the bottom of a Samsung Note 2, i might be in love. Unlike the Q10, you'd keep the trackpad/back button etc. The thing is big enough that even with the keyboard on it, you'd still have a ton of real estate, but having the trackpad would still allow you to use the thing effectively with one hand and navigate the whole screen. I feel like I'm currently locked into the 9930 and may have it for many more years unless someone comes out with a good qwerty. I think if Samsung came out with a qwerty Samsung Note type phone, it would be the best of all worlds and it might just be the end of blackberry. I really don't care who the manufacturer is, I just want a qwerty phone that is current and the Q10 is not an option for me, just too much of a step backwards.

I don't know how to do it myself, but would love to see a mock-up of what I described. Alex Hong?
    Last edited by forevergreen; 08-10-13 at 08:29 AM.
    sclift likes this.
    08-10-13 08:19 AM
    I'd like to propose another option and what I would LOVE to see:
    I love my 9930 and feel like it is the gold standard, but it is 2 years old now and I'd love to have a better camera, have more apps available to me, etc. So, the other day I sat down with a Q10 for 45mns. Now, I'm a diehard blackberry guy, but that was a HORRIBLE experience for me. I couldn't believe how un-intuitive it was!!! Most of the time with my phone, all I care about is being productive and efficient. When you have a lot of emails, texts, calendar entries and task lists, efficiency and minimal keystrokes is paramount. I couldn't believe how many keystrokes were needed to make a phone call or anything! I lost all my normal shortcuts. Anyway, then I ended up demoing a Samsung Note 2 for a few days. It is an absolute powerhouse and I love everything about it, but it's still waaaay slower than my 9930 at what I do most. Without a keyboard, it just takes too long to do everything. Also, the screen is monstrous and one handed operation is difficult. It got me thinking though that if I had my 9930 keyboard at the bottom of a Samsung Note 2, i might be in love. Unlike the Q10, you'd keep the trackpad/back button etc. The thing is big enough that even with the keyboard on it, you'd still have a ton of real estate, but having the trackpad would still allow you to use the thing effectively with one hand and navigate the whole screen. I feel like I'm currently locked into the 9930 and may have it for many more years unless someone comes out with a good qwerty. I think if Samsung came out with a qwerty Samsung Note type phone, it would be the best of all worlds and it might just be the end of blackberry. I really don't care who the manufacturer is, I just want a qwerty phone that is current and the Q10 is not an option for me, just too much of a step backwards.

I don't know how to do it myself, but would love to see a mock-up of what I described. Alex Hong?
    There might be a market for a new BBOS slider and or a BB10 slider but not the device you want. It would be too large to work well as a phone -IMO.

I do not see BB backsliding on the trackpad issue for BB10.

Actually the QWERTY market is just a niche. The vast majority of smartphone users are just as productive on their phones as you are on your 9930.
    08-10-13 08:49 AM
    Yeah, might not be mass market, but too large to work as a phone? It's already a phone currently and is successful as such.
    You're probably right on the trackpad, but I believe it was a mistake.
    You're wrong on the vast majority being equally productive, it just isn't possible, and I don't even consider it a matter of opinion. If I thought that after a few months, or even a year, I could be as efficient on a touch screen as I am with a qwerty, I'd bite the bullet and start now.
    08-10-13 09:16 AM
    @forevergreen - Note 2 + 9930 keyboard

I see your point, but where and how would you like the 9930 keyboard to get attached to your dream phone? As the width of the 9930 is much smaller than the Note, I only see the following options:

-make the keys bigger so that the keyboard width fits the width of the N2. But then the new phone gets MUCH longer than the already long N2 !?
    - keep the 9930 key size but move 2 rows of keys or more into one so you only have 2 or 3 rows left. Would be very cumbersme to operate for regular QWERTY typists. And, phone still significantly longer than N2
    - use lower end of the screen real estate to implement a keyboard, without making the phone longer. But then the screen gets much smaller, reducing the desirability of such a phone.

So wer'e back at the concept of a slider. Z10 sized screen, Q10 like keyboard. Phone not wider/longer than what people are used to, maybe a little thicker than a contemporary touchscreen phone, but very acceptable for many who want both. Like myself.

By the way I disagree the Q10 is unintuitive, but that is a different story.
    08-10-13 10:09 AM
    Forever never said explicitly that he wanted a Note sized slider but regardless, I took it that he wanted a big Q10. As far as productivity, it depends on the use and user. Smartphone users have voted with their pocketbooks and their definition of productivity includes Apps etc etc .. they want it all. As far as typing and general use speed and effectiveness... my money is on the college kid using one hand riding on a bus or train.
    08-10-13 10:27 AM
    Forever never said explicitly that he wanted a Note sized slider but regardless, I took it that he wanted a big Q10.
    And I never said that he said that !
    08-10-13 10:31 AM
    I hacked alex's slider into this... my precious... So, here's how it might look:

I saw a BlackBerry 10 slider-slider_mit_der_trakpad_ya.jpg

Here's a proposal for how the trackpad and buttons could work.

That would be my perfect device. One handed operation with TrackPad driving a mouse pointer, best-of-breed text editing with TrackPad for complex text selection and precise insertion point placement... slide the keyboard out of view and you have a full touchscreen device with the full functionality of a Z10 device. If it was the size of the Z30, the keyboard could be as full-sized and excellent as that of the Q10.

I have absolutely no doubt that a device with a screen the size of a Z30 that looks like that would be an international best seller on the scale of the Galaxy Note series, only with a REAL multitasking operating system and, instead of a stylus, the trackpad.

If BlackBerry makes this, they will prove once and for all they're able to integrate the best of what brought BlackBerry devices to the top of the smartphone heap AND look to the future with the best mobile operating system AND unique products that are unmatched by competitors.

You don't like? Fine. Use a Z10, or a Q10, or an iPhone, or a Galaxy S4.

THIS device WOULD be a huge hit and be the start of a true revolution in "mobile computing" not the half-arsed attempts and unrealized promises of the entire mobile device industry to this point.

As I've said before: this might not be for you, but if you say it wouldn't be successful, well, you'd be wrong, so don't bother reiterating your opinion of "but *I* don't like a trackpad" or "but *I* don't like a large screen" because the device YOU want ALREADY EXISTS. This device DOESN'T exist and if it was the ONLY device that BlackBerry released with a TrackPad, it would probably quickly become their best seller AND possibly rival the Galaxy Note series in terms of sales, devices which very many people were ALSO skeptical about when Samsung released them, but who is laughing now? Samsung, and joyful Galaxy Note users.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 08-10-13 at 12:45 PM.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    08-10-13 12:23 PM
    Did the phone look like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQoo2wECIAABk7j.jpg:large
    Essoo likes this.
    08-10-13 08:04 PM
    I've never been a fan of sliders nor had one but I like this idea. There truly is a market for this

Posted via CB10 with Z10
    08-11-13 08:04 AM
    7lwa mnk hhhh

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 08:28 AM
    7lwa mnk hhhh

Posted via CB10
    Drunk or drugs?
    sanjk1 likes this.
    08-11-13 12:45 PM
    I hacked alex's slider into this... my precious... So, here's how it might look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slider_mit_der_trakpad_ya.jpg 
Views:	2240 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	191387

Here's a proposal for how the trackpad and buttons could work.

That would be my perfect device. One handed operation with TrackPad driving a mouse pointer, best-of-breed text editing with TrackPad for complex text selection and precise insertion point placement... slide the keyboard out of view and you have a full touchscreen device with the full functionality of a Z10 device. If it was the size of the Z30, the keyboard could be as full-sized and excellent as that of the Q10.

I have absolutely no doubt that a device with a screen the size of a Z30 that looks like that would be an international best seller on the scale of the Galaxy Note series, only with a REAL multitasking operating system and, instead of a stylus, the trackpad.

If BlackBerry makes this, they will prove once and for all they're able to integrate the best of what brought BlackBerry devices to the top of the smartphone heap AND look to the future with the best mobile operating system AND unique products that are unmatched by competitors.

You don't like? Fine. Use a Z10, or a Q10, or an iPhone, or a Galaxy S4.

THIS device WOULD be a huge hit and be the start of a true revolution in "mobile computing" not the half-arsed attempts and unrealized promises of the entire mobile device industry to this point.

As I've said before: this might not be for you, but if you say it wouldn't be successful, well, you'd be wrong, so don't bother reiterating your opinion of "but *I* don't like a trackpad" or "but *I* don't like a large screen" because the device YOU want ALREADY EXISTS. This device DOESN'T exist and if it was the ONLY device that BlackBerry released with a TrackPad, it would probably quickly become their best seller AND possibly rival the Galaxy Note series in terms of sales, devices which very many people were ALSO skeptical about when Samsung released them, but who is laughing now? Samsung, and joyful Galaxy Note users.

Reading posts from Blackberry owners over this past year tells me that there is little demand for a QWERTY phone with an overall footprint width larger than the of the current Q10 or Z10. In fact many current Curve owners like a smaller size (not me !!). I think that BB would be looking at a 1280 X 780 screened slider device with a 4.2 inch screen with the overall Q10 look and feel. No track pad. The only known demand for a slider is from former and current BlackBerry owners.

There is no precedent for a popular slider phone in part because virtual keyboards have improved so much. Very few consumers are looking for QWERTY devices so the BB slider will be a niche model at best. I do think it would be popular with BlackBerry business users who do not use so many Apps. The Torches that I see around town are being used as business phones (IMO). The Note is popular with consumers who are not looking for a attached keyboard.

The Torch device works well because of it's size and any replacement needs to be comfortable in the hand as well.

Personally, I would be very interested in trying out a BB10 Torch.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 08-11-13 at 02:38 PM.
    BigRob673 likes this.
    08-11-13 02:20 PM
    Reading posts from Blackberry owners over this past year tells me that there is little demand for a QWERTY phone with an overall footprint width larger than the of the current Q10 or Z10.
    I disagree.

In fact many current Curve owners like a smaller size (not me !!).
    Source?

The only known demand for a slider is from former and current BlackBerry owners.
    Source?

There is no precedent for a popular slider phone in part because virtual keyboards have improved so much.
    I'm going to have to go ahead and just call that "completely totally wrong", because lots of Q10 users lament the small screen size.

Very few consumers are looking for QWERTY devices so the BB slider will be a niche model at best.
    Not sure that is true... there are a lot of devices with crappy keyboards... very few devices with physical keyboards come close to the intangible success that is a BB device keyboard.

I do think it would be popular with BlackBerry business users who do not use so many Apps.
    How do you figure?

The Torches that I see around town are being used as business phones (IMO).
    I ride the TTC a lot and granted "high power" business types don't even ride the subway, but I saw LOTS of Torch devices in the hands of consumers. LOTS. Its form factor makes it one of the more instantly recognizable devices in peoples hands (I can't tell the distinct Samsung or LG Android slabs apart)

The Note is popular with consumers who are not looking for a attached keyboard.
    I think the reasons for the Note's popularity are many: the large screen being key, and the stylus is a way to do things on a mobile device that aren't practical otherwise, like drawing, or more precise pointing than is possible with the sausage shaped things humans call "fingers".

The Torch device works well because of it's size and any replacement needs to be comfortable in the hand as well.
    I disagree.

Personally, I would be very interested in trying out a BB10 Torch.
    I agree. If they put out a slider, I'd check it out, but if it's just got the slider / keyboard mechanism and still a z10 sized screen which means that the keyboard will be smaller than that of a Q10, I'd probably just pass on it, because a cramped keyboard defeats the purpose of a slider.

It's also about device differentiation. Single-feature differentiators aren't going to be good for the overall device line up unless you're Samsung and putting out literally dozens of devices with every possible combination of features.

A large-screen BB10 slider with the trackpad / hard buttons would be the device for:

People who want a trackpad
    people who want a large screen
    people who want a keyboard
    people who want all of those things without compromise.

And it would be a unique device, different from the products offered by ANY other vendor... so for those who believe (I don't personally) that people care about SPECS sometimes even more than the OS platform, here would be a unique device that someone who owns, say, an iPhone 5 but who likes the full screen but would like better text entry could consider and try out.

Making it otherwise exactly like an EXISTING device but also a slider seems pointless, as it will only offer differentiation for a narrow user set... a much more distinct device will capture the large-screen types and they'll check out the keyboard etc. and I think to know it is to love it.
    08-12-13 11:37 AM
    A large-screen BB10 slider with the trackpad / hard buttons would be the device for:
    Let's face it, there will be no trackpad on BB10 devices (and btw the render with trackpad makes the bottom part awfully large for the design IMO). Hard buttons (call and end call) could be a possibility but I don't see that coming, BlackBerrys are now about gestures, not buttons. The UI and UX isn't designed to work with trackpad / hard buttons, put as far as I know you can always connect a bluetooth mouse to your device and have a pointer (as with the PlayBook, I don't have a BB10 device yet so I'm not sure). Besides not having those is what makes it different from legacy BBOS for the regular consumer who doesn't care about tech enough to research BlackBerry has a new OS.

Nevertheless I really like the idea of a BB10 slider, as I currently have the Torch 9800 and I have a BIG internal debate as whether to buy a qwerty device or a full touch one because of keyboard, screen size and battery life.
    08-12-13 11:44 PM
    Let's face it, there will be no trackpad on BB10 devices (and btw the render with trackpad makes the bottom part awfully large for the design IMO). Hard buttons (call and end call) could be a possibility but I don't see that coming, BlackBerrys are now about gestures, not buttons. The UI and UX isn't designed to work with trackpad / hard buttons, put as far as I know you can always connect a bluetooth mouse to your device and have a pointer (as with the PlayBook, I don't have a BB10 device yet so I'm not sure). Besides not having those is what makes it different from legacy BBOS for the regular consumer who doesn't care about tech enough to research BlackBerry has a new OS.

Nevertheless I really like the idea of a BB10 slider, as I currently have the Torch 9800 and I have a BIG internal debate as whether to buy a qwerty device or a full touch one because of keyboard, screen size and battery life.
    Let us hope that you get a chance to buy a good QWERTY.
    08-13-13 07:53 AM
    Tootall......... Blackberry 10 slider is a must option - like the Blsackberry Blade desihgn best - full Q10 screen,slim ,lighter and great keyboard - best oif boifth Worlds and v.cool curved dewsign Want that one!
    No

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 08:48 PM
    I'm dead set on a slider. I've been 'round the block a few times... I owned a 9900 for about 3 months as a business line device, with a Torch as my personal device and traded the 9900 for another 9810 on kijiji.

I see you a landscape slider would have been more than just nice.
    08-18-13 09:30 AM
    Tootall......... Blackberry 10 slider is a must option - like the Blsackberry Blade desihgn best - full Q10 screen,slim ,lighter and great keyboard - best oif boifth Worlds and v.cool curved dewsign Want that one!
    ...and hopefully better autocorrect.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 10:48 AM
312 ... 56789 ...