07-14-14 08:28 AM
312 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Why! It is so easy to go to any page that you want just buy touching one of the little squares at the bottom and then back home buy touching the virtual home button.
    Just think it looks better with another row of icons is all. Ya i understand how the UI works haha.

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    08-01-13 10:31 AM
    I had a 9800 and then a 9810 and never had a problem and really liked the form factor. But the keyboard would feel cramped after a 9900 and Q10, and the old torch line keyboards were too stiff, IMHO.
    08-01-13 11:02 AM
    **** if only I waited I'd get that over my z10....

Posted Via CB10 on a Verizon BlackBerry Z10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-01-13 11:11 AM
    As a past owner of a 9800 and current owner of a 9810 and a Q10, I think a BB10 Slider would be just the ticket they need to get back in the game. The 9810 sold well and had very little problems. I personally love my Q10 but I also love the 9810 and would welcome a BB10 Slider as a second phone. The best of both worlds! Can't say enough about how awesome the Q10 is! Best phone I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of them! Bring it on BBRY!
    Blacklatino and daveycrocket like this.
    08-01-13 11:46 AM
    Would buy IMMEDIATELY.
    08-01-13 12:08 PM
    I don't care if it's a little thicker / heavier to have all the features: all my life I've had huge monster gaming notebooks and don't regret it at all. Power and capability is most important, even if it weighs A WHOLE OUNCE MORE. I don't understand this race to the bottom on weight and thickness that undermines the utility of the device. Not carrying anything at all is a lot lighter, if it's so important.
    The problem is that the market as a whole seems to prefer thinner and/or lighter devices with the only thing that seems to be accepted as a reason for being heavier is having a much bigger screen.

I guess you're trolling, because you're in a thread full of people genuflecting to the Slider Phone gods (I think he's called "Slydee".) and trolling is bad, because you think you're funny but it's just kind of tiresome. Sorry, but whether you're serious or not, um... no.
    Somebody pointing out the realities of the mobile market nowadays is not actually trolling just because a few fans of the slider form factor are posting in a thread, while BB always owned the normal qwerty market, but other companies did used to make sliders so there would seem to be a fairly clear indication that people are not that into sliders.

I just hope they don't make the same design mistake on the BB10 slider that they made in the design of the Torch: the keyboard was smaller so the device could be 'smaller' or whatever... make the device / screen as large as is needed to put a full Q10 keyboard on the thing, even if it is Aristo-sized. DON'T EFF THIS ONE UP, BLACKBERRY! Oops... now they're sure to, to spite us... :-(
    It would not surprise me if we actually see some kind of qwerty phablet showing up before a slider now that they have made a move onto larger devices, it would offer all the same advantages as a slider without the negatives of being thicker or having that additional point of mechanical failure.
    08-01-13 01:17 PM
    I bought the 9800 on launch day and the 9810 on launch day as well. The 9810 had an improved build quality over the 9800, which tended to have "wobble" when slid open, so I have little doubt there would be no moving parts related problems. However, the keyboard really did get mushy after a year or so, and it was cramped to boot. While I imagine a BB10 slider would be larger, and the keyboard less cramped, that brings up another question: just how long vertically is this thing going to be when open if it's going to have a 4" screen?
    08-01-13 01:32 PM
    Oh man I would love that. Came to a Z10 from my Torch, and although I am addicted to flick-typing almost everything (even though two thumb typing on this glass is unbelievably good), I do miss the keyboard sometimes.
    hf199 likes this.
    08-01-13 01:48 PM
    Oh man I would love that. Came to a Z10 from my Torch, and although I am addicted to flick-typing almost everything (even though two thumb typing on this glass is unbelievably good), I do miss the keyboard sometimes.
    ...and that is the beauty of the slider! You can type or flick! BOTH, not one or the other. But... why not go all out and put the trackpad and hard buttons on it? How many BBOS fans would go apesh*t over that! I know... NOT A CHANCE. Because BB doesn't like making devices that are really different from the competitors... well, any more, at least.
    08-01-13 01:50 PM
    I would love to believe the OP, and am hoping that he's right. There is a BK literally right beside the BlackBerry campus in Waterloo, so the story could check out. However, without any recent response from him even about the fan made renders, it's hard not to doubt him.
    08-01-13 02:11 PM
    +1,000,000 for this post!!!

Said it before MANY times in the blogs (feel free to verify) I would be SO all over a BB10 Slider (with the right specs & design); I can't see how the 2 or 3 guys posting can say "naw, no market for it" when there's SUCH a HUGE positive response to the OP's posting.

PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE HAVE THIS SLIDER (or similar?) "OUT" FOR CHRISTMAS 2013 or just after NEW YEAR 2014; my contract's "upgrade block" (currently Torch 9800) runs out in January and I'm DYING FOR a similar-styled & featured replacement.
    The other unit (9810) in our operation will also be a candidate next year, so "put me down for TWO!!!"
    flyingsolid likes this.
    08-01-13 02:46 PM
    My 9810 still has plenty of life yet (famous last words) and I love it, I would like to upgrade at some point so it would be my dream for a Milan type slider. If not Ill go for the Q10. I'm still saving Jack
    08-01-13 03:29 PM
    As a new BB convert, former Palm guy, who had a Pre+ and two Pre3s, I joined BB purely because of the multi-tasking and jumped on the Z10 the minute it became available on ATT. Despite my contract, I would jump at a BB10 portrait slider. Gimme!
    hf199 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:24 PM
    As a new BB convert, former Palm guy, who had a Pre+ and two Pre3s, I joined BB purely because of the multi-tasking and jumped on the Z10 the minute it became available on ATT. Despite my contract, I would jump at a BB10 portrait slider. Gimme!
    I hear you! Had pre, pre2 and pre3! And the reason i switched to BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 04:33 PM
    08-01-13 05:03 PM
    Sliders can have problems and Blackberry does not need anymore. AT&T hates the day they decided to carry a Blackberry slider.
    Dude everyone loves the Torch
    08-01-13 07:07 PM
    I bought the 9800 on launch day and the 9810 on launch day as well. The 9810 had an improved build quality over the 9800, which tended to have "wobble" when slid open, so I have little doubt there would be no moving parts related problems. However, the keyboard really did get mushy after a year or so, and it was cramped to boot. While I imagine a BB10 slider would be larger, and the keyboard less cramped, that brings up another question: just how long vertically is this thing going to be when open if it's going to have a 4" screen?
    Not much taller than the Torch. When I did the concept, I did it with scale in mind.

(Disclaimer: This is nothing more than a CONCEPT)
    I saw a BlackBerry 10 slider-slider-2.jpg
    Along with the image I posted above a while back:
    "Size comparison. A few mm taller than the torch 9810 when opened, but same width. A mm thinner than the torch 9810. Slightly shorter compared to the Z10, if not it would be obscenely long when opened. Screen size 4.2" at a 16:9 aspect ratio. The bottom 'chin' is ever so slightly thinner than where the screen will sit when closed, so that user can easily feel where the screen starts sliding. The chin is also slightly slope towards the keyboard so that it is slightly easier to type, compared to having a straight-angle chin.

Well, one can dream. Building a slider is very challenging engineering wise. Lots of restrictions and limitations to take note of, the sliding mechanism is a big enough challenge I think.

As much as I would love to put in a bigger screen, and a keyboard that is the same as on the Q10, it is just not practical. A phone like that would be tall, thick, and wide beyond the point of being usable, or even portable. lol. Even though it is simply a concept, its still nicer to be a little more realistic.

Like the only reason I could move the call speaker all the way to the top like on the Nexus 4, is because I moved the power button to the side, if not that wouldn't be possible at all. There is only so much space available in a mobile device."
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-01-13 07:51 PM
    That thing might convince me to buy a BB10 device in spite of the missing trackpad and navigation buttons, IF it was available on Sprint. If I had to switch to AT&T, I'd just get a 9810
    08-01-13 08:28 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slider 2.jpg 
Views:	820 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	188267
    As much as I would love to put in a bigger screen, and a keyboard that is the same as on the Q10, it is just not practical. A phone like that would be tall, thick, and wide beyond the point of being usable, or even portable. lol. Even though it is simply a concept, its still nicer to be a little more realistic.
    The Torch 9810 is an anachronism: designed when devices like the Galaxy Note II existed in the form of the Dell Streak 5 and people thought it was too big. There are tens of millions of people who DON'T think that is too big any more... I think you should consider a redesign that is ready for a world where 5", 5.5", even 6" phones aren't just "available", they're wildly popular. It looks great and I'd hope that a BB10 slider would look as good. Oh, and put the BB9900 hard buttons and trackpad on it while you're at it. THAT'S the ultimate BB10 device.

Attachment 188286
    08-01-13 08:49 PM
    What the heck did you do with that post Lorax - try to post a bunch of base64 encoded binary as text? LAWLZ
    08-01-13 08:50 PM
    The Torch 9810 is an anachronism: designed when devices like the Galaxy Note II existed in the form of the Dell Streak 5 and people thought it was too big. There are tens of millions of people who DON'T think that is too big any more... I think you should consider a redesign that is ready for a world where 5", 5.5", even 6" phones aren't just "available", they're wildly popular.

It's hard to take seriously a stance about "large size doesn't matter" when the whole POINT of a slider is to try to provide "large" functionality in a smaller sized device than normally would be necessary to achieve that.

Oh, and put the BB9900 hard buttons and trackpad on it while you're at it. THAT'S the ultimate BB10 device.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...device-803252/

What I always liked about the classic Treo/Blackberry form factor are 3 things:

1. Built-in HW keyboard
    2. Able to type one-handed on HW keyboard
    3. Never have to turn device. (square or square'ish screen)

Nowadays the problem with a square screen is when you inevitably get a video or photo in 16:10 or 16:9 format, it ends up being shrunken to microscopic proportions on a small square screen.

So the slider, to me, maintains all the advantages above with the exception of #3, which I am willing to sacrifice due to the image-size issue above.

But making the device too large then also compromises item #2 as well, which is now too many compromises. Much larger than the Torch and you start to lose the ability to use it one-handed.

Here's an idea from Blackberry I posted a link to previously, trying to get the most functionality in the smallest size using a bendable display and a cantilevered keyboard:

BlackBerry Patent Shows Future Flex Screen Slider Design - N4BB

Personally I want to solve that problem with either a glasses-based display like Google Glass, or a holographic display like Minority Report.
    08-01-13 09:11 PM
    Hard to believe this is even true since you have no picture and the info is coming from Asmooh

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 09:14 PM
    Man are you sure? Maybe it was a Torch with BlackBerry 10 theme. I don't if a slider device would be a good idea the keyboard is not good and it get technical problems easily specially in the flat cable that connects the screen on device body. I face some serious problems with my torch and now im just using z10.
    08-01-13 09:34 PM
    Man i wish my z10 had that many icons on the screen at once.

Looks pretty legit.

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    +1

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:10 PM
312 ... 34567 ...