07-14-14 08:28 AM
312 ... 10111213
tools
    The market is not vast but beggars can't be choosers. An updated reliable Slider may be just the ticket for business / govt consumers. Yes, the market is not large but the question is whether or not they can make a profit selling the device. The Q10 sells for more than the Z10 so it is likely that the Slider would sell for the same as or slightly more than a Q10.

It is not assured that android apps can run as well on the Q10 as they might on a slider. Apps are much more important now than they were when the choice was between a Bold or Torch.
    11-18-13 06:31 PM
    I'm not sure that we can definitively state that there's no market for the slider. Certainly it's fair to say that manufacturers have chased after where the market seemed to be heading, which was big slab phones. And the fact that they continue to sell becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I'm not sure what the size of the market would need to be in order to make a slider a viable investment for a manufacturer. If you're thinking that it's *only* a slim segment of the declining population of existing Blackberry users, then it might be pretty hard to make a case to develop one. On the other hand, what if a good slider could bring former Blackberry users like me to the brand, and potentially even attract other business users who have never used a Blackberry? Then it would undoubtedly be worth the risk of trying one out. (But it would need to be done well.)
    There are a lot of "ifs" in there. I think the biggest one that would help overcome the inertia of developers not wanting to invest in the OS and users not wanting to switch is communicating a vision for the company and giving potential customers and business partners a sense that Blackberry has a fighting chance of turning things around.
    Personally, I am still holding out. I won't buy a Blackberry until a slider comes out, or there's a good accessory that can turn a Z30 effectively into a slider. I'm very willing to buy a BB though once that happens.
    ... To your point though, I don't know how one figures out how many people like me are out there.
    Pardon my ignorance...but what type of accessory would that be? Meaning, what type of accessory can turn a typical BlackBerry into a slider? I've never seen an accessory like that. Thank you in advance.
    11-18-13 07:57 PM
    Pardon my ignorance...but what type of accessory would that be? Meaning, what type of accessory can turn a typical BlackBerry into a slider? I've never seen an accessory like that. Thank you in advance.
    There's one for the iPhone It's called "keyboard buddy" I think. It's a keyboard case kinda thing, Google it

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    11-18-13 08:43 PM
    IgotsThis is correct. The Keyboard Buddy is the primary device I was thinking of:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...d-case-851980/

Tech Idiot likes this.
    11-19-13 08:05 AM
    The fact of the matter is that the normal qwerty devices easily outsold the sliders during the os6 and os7 days so the idea that there is this vast untapped market for BB to bring back with such a device seems very unlikely.
    Small screens were the norm during os6 and os 7 days. The market blackberry is competing in has been spoiled by large screen cell phones. People like me that temporaraily left my Blackberry torch 2 for an S3 while Blackberry got there shyt together. My Q10 strains my eyes now. But I keep it becuase I want my keyboard and its fast. A slider would be perfect. And why BB doesn't acknowledge that people, who waited so long for them to get back into the market, may want....(and deserve) a screen size comparable to what is out NOW, in addition to a keyboard is beyond me. The only way to have both and not have a phone that looks like Logitech remote control is a slider...Seems like a no brainer.
    I dont even know why this topic is so long.
    I feel like my Q10 screen is the same size as my curve 8310, which was fine back when I was younger, and my eyes were sharper and people didnt send HD videos, and the media being transfered over the air wasnt that same thing you get from your cable box.
    We need a bigger screen.
    Everything is 16:9 now....who makes a square screen?
    16:9 on a square screen chops your screen real estate in half.

I still see people with torch 2s on the LIRR and subway, and Im Jealous! Only comfort I take is I know they're running os7, and it probably took a whole train ride to download the 40 sec. Clip.

BLACKBERRY YOU NEED A SLIDER! AND IF YOU DONT WANT TO CALL IT A SLIDER CALL IT A TOUCH SCREEN WITH A TUCK AWAY KEYBOARD!

So Make it happen! ...... I dont want the Q10 to be the last blackberry I buy.

FYI: I never had any problems with the sliding mechanisms on my Torch 1 or 2
    11-23-13 11:35 AM
    The fact of the matter is that the normal qwerty devices easily outsold the sliders during the os6 and os7 days so the idea that there is this vast untapped market for BB to bring back with such a device seems very unlikely.
    I don't know that there is this vast untapped market, however it certainly might be "more vast" than people might initially think. While I am a Tech *****, I think if BB focuses on the "corporate" or "business" marketplace -- and offers a high-quality device across all three, a touch-screen, a slider, and a keyboard -- then they might find success; at least more success than currently.

That said, I think there is one other issue regarding the slider -- as I said before -- and that is the slider (as far as I know) was only offered with one carrier (AT&T), and that limits the target market, perhaps severely. AT&T was not doing well in the NY/NJ area for many years. I don't know if that changed, but they were frowned upon for years. Personally, I would have purchased the slider device, but I would not go with AT&T so that wasn't an option for me.

BB certainly has some massive re-tooling to do -- corporate-wise, device-wise, and so on.
    11-23-13 02:16 PM
    11-28-13 07:59 AM
    Great, yet another thread where the OP makes an inflammatory statement (that is total bull) and then disappears to laugh at everyone. Mods, please close the thread.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    11-28-13 02:48 PM
    Some say there is no market for a BlackBerry slider. On Best Buy the asking price for a 9810 is over $400. There is a demand for a portrait slider. I bet it would sell as well as a Q10.
    11-29-13 08:48 AM
    I don't know that there is this vast untapped market, however it certainly might be "more vast" than people might initially think. While I am a Tech *****, I think if BB focuses on the "corporate" or "business" marketplace -- and offers a high-quality device across all three, a touch-screen, a slider, and a keyboard -- then they might find success; at least more success than currently.
    The issue there is that most people are going to have their BB as a secondary device if it is a corporate one and as such are unlikely to be happy to have a thicker and bulkier device imposed on them.

That said, I think there is one other issue regarding the slider -- as I said before -- and that is the slider (as far as I know) was only offered with one carrier (AT&T), and that limits the target market, perhaps severely. AT&T was not doing well in the NY/NJ area for many years. I don't know if that changed, but they were frowned upon for years. Personally, I would have purchased the slider device, but I would not go with AT&T so that wasn't an option for me.
    That is only true in the states, it was not restricted to any particular carriers anywhere else and was unpopular enough compared with the bold range that plenty of carriers skipped the 9810 entirely and only stocked the 9900 and 9790 when it came to os7.

In any case when you have the likes of Samsung who try out various form factors releasing flip phones but not sliders it does tend to imply something about the lack of a market for sliders.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    12-02-13 06:24 AM
    The issue there is that most people are going to have their BB as a secondary device if it is a corporate one and as such are unlikely to be happy to have a thicker and bulkier device imposed on them.

That is only true in the states, it was not restricted to any particular carriers anywhere else and was unpopular enough compared with the bold range that plenty of carriers skipped the 9810 entirely and only stocked the 9900 and 9790 when it came to os7.

In any case when you have the likes of Samsung who try out various form factors releasing flip phones but not sliders it does tend to imply something about the lack of a market for sliders.
    I don't know if there's a norm, vis a vis a second device. To me, and this is just me, the traditional form factor of the BB is the norm, and a slight increase/decrease in L or W is de minimis. I do know people get hung up on that, so to each their own. I've never used a second device because of a corporate one, but again, that's just me. None of my co-workers did either, but that to means nothing.

As far as the slider, I see your point and that could change the landscape and thoughts of what BB might do. My only feeling is that if BB is "it" in the corporate world -- and I get they are not right now -- then other companies and what they are doing might not be reflective of the target market -- as it might be a different market. I don't know what the masses would want right now in BB, but I do think their potential might be in the corporate world.
    12-02-13 07:14 AM
    But it's a thread that some of us just keep being drawn back to. :-)

Sadly, I'm inclined to agree with your statement though. If a BB slider prototype were really out there "in the wild" being used by BlackBerry employees, we should have seen a picture or a video of one by now. Even if it were the equivalent in terms of quality of the Big Foot video ( ) that kept that rumor alive.

Great, yet another thread where the OP makes an inflammatory statement (that is total bull) and then disappears to laugh at everyone. Mods, please close the thread.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055 O2 UK
    12-02-13 09:17 AM
    Remember the BlackBerry Blade concept? Many CB And BlackBerry fans, including myself l o v e d that concept. It was curved.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 02:53 PM
    Attachment 187808Attachment 187809

Does it look something like this?
    I don't mind the thickness of the Torch - but adding a case made it much thicker … I finally found one by Otterbox which was thin but tough.

IMHO - my critique about the design of the previous Torch: the lip at the bottom. The most comfortable typing position with to have your thumbs flat … but not possible if there is a lip at the bottom of the device where the two pieces meet at closure. It was especially un-ergonimic (i.e.: uncomfortable for my thumbs & wrists) is to have to arc my thumbs over the bottom lip to type. It wasn't too noticeable without a case, but I went through several case before I found one which only added minimal bulk to that bottom lip. I thought I was developing carp-tunnel in my wrists, but since I've been using the Z10, it has completely gone away!

I would trade my Z10 for a slider in a heartbeat … provided it did not have the bottom lip indicated in this design. Does it really need to be there?

Just my two cents ...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-07-13 10:49 AM

The slider may not outsell other BlackBerry phones. The question is can they sell enough to recoup their development costs and manufacturing costs. I think that the slider will sell for the same price as a Z30 and could be a profitable addition. It does not appear that they are making money from the Z10.

Most Torch users that I saw did not use cases ...just holsters or pouches especially when it is company owned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-08-13 at 09:39 AM.
    12-07-13 11:01 PM
    Well, my Dell venue Pro is about to die. Can't see to hold a charge anymore.
    Looks like my hope of holding out for a new phone until BlackBerry releases a
    BB10 slider isn't going to work out.
    12-08-13 07:08 PM
    Just had someone imply to me that a Windows OS slider may be announced next quarter.

If will be a real shame if a Windows 8 slider makes it to market *before* a BB10 slider.
    Then, even if BlackBerry releases one the next month, it will just add to the impression
    that BlackBerry is playing catch up.
    12-09-13 01:59 PM
    Just had someone imply to me that a Windows OS slider may be announced next quarter.

If will be a real shame if a Windows 8 slider makes it to market *before* a BB10 slider.
    Then, even if BlackBerry releases one the next month, it will just add to the impression
    that BlackBerry is playing catch up.
    Nokia might drop the ball with a landscape slider. Go portrait or go home.

http://www.concept-phones.com/nokia/...ding-keyboard/

Note to folks who make up renders here... Artist includes dimensions.

12-09-13 03:52 PM
    I feel a little dirty, but I'd consider buying one of those nokias. Looks like it could potentially be a nice device to use.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 07:02 PM
    I don't think I'd be happy/comfortable with a landscape slider.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    12-10-13 08:19 AM
    I wish they'd release a slider and just advertise it as 'Best of Both Worlds, Best of BlackBerry' or something like that.
    Whatever happened to OP ?
    12-10-13 10:11 AM
    I don't think I'd be happy/comfortable with a landscape slider.
    Just me, my preferences, I agree. I've tried sliders and for my functionality I prefer a portrait slider.
    12-10-13 11:27 AM
    Torch 10 slider would be great! Portrait slider is the only way. I kinda wish they would have suck with their old naming approach. They did the wacky names better than anyone. They could have put out a Bold 10 / Storm 10 / Torch 10 and have kept some of that name recognition they used to have.

edit: Just look up Pre 3 for the perfect form factor. Such an achievement in hardware, and such an abortion in software at the same time. Haven't seen anything else like it.
    12-11-13 12:26 PM
    Torch 10 slider would be great! Portrait slider is the only way. I kinda wish they would have suck with their old naming approach. They did the wacky names better than anyone. They could have put out a Bold 10 / Storm 10 / Torch 10 and have kept some of that name recognition they used to have.

edit: Just look up Pre 3 for the perfect form factor. Such an achievement in hardware, and such an abortion in software at the same time. Haven't seen anything else like it.
    They need to stay as far away from the Storm label as possible.

That turd is the reason Verizon got into bed with Android.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 09:20 PM

The screen is only 3.58 inches . Not enough.

12-11-13 09:31 PM
312 ... 10111213