07-14-14 09:28 AM
312 ... 910111213
tools
    Other than an excessively vocal minority there simply isn't any evidence to back up such a claim, there is a reason why nobody else makes them either and just look back to the initial bb7 devices, there were plenty of carriers that only stocked the 9900 and skipped the 9810 entirely.
    We are talking about BlackBerry. Nothing they have sells in great quantities. They are a niche product. There are plenty of 9810's still used in govt and in business. They probably had one chance to convert those users. Did the Q10 sell better than the Z10 ? It appears so. Would the S10 have sold better than the Z10 . I bet that it would have. The main reason that the new Torch would sell is that the Q screen is too small to take full advantage of BB10 and there are still users that prefer a physical keyboard yet want to have the Z10 browsing experience. I view the S10 as a prosumer device.

There plenty of great choices other than BlackBerry for a "slab phone" . Only BlackBerry made a decent slider as far as I know. Certainly no one makes a good portrait slider. It appears that BlackBerry can only be successful by being more BlackBerry.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    10-09-13 01:40 PM
    I thinks a slider bb10 phone would be sick
    Tim Heard and Doggerz like this.
    10-09-13 04:13 PM
    We are talking about BlackBerry. Nothing they have sells in great quantities. They are a niche product. There are plenty of 9810's still used in govt and in business. They probably had one chance to convert those users. Did the Q10 sell better than the Z10 ? It appears so. Would the S10 have sold better than the Z10 . I bet that it would have. The main reason that the new Torch would sell is that the Q screen is too small to take full advantage of BB10 and there are still users that prefer a physical keyboard yet want to have the Z10 browsing experience. I view the S10 as a prosumer device.
    It was important that they release a good all-touch device to start out with in order to prove they could do one, after that going with the more popular qwerty form factor over a slider was also the right move. If the uptake of bb10 had been better then there would be room for them to branch out in form factors, but the idea that a slider should have been one of their first devices is a flawed one.

As far as an S10 being a prosumer device, the driving factors in any consumer market are thinner devices and larger displays and going with the slider blows that first part right out of the water, that n4bb-originated mock-up of a large screen qwerty device simply makes far more sense than a slider nowadays.
    10-10-13 06:13 AM
    Thin is overrated. It is just another spec for people to use to one up each other. Once they slap an Otter Box on it, thin is gone.
    Attached Thumbnails I saw a BlackBerry 10 slider-1376936316349.jpg  
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    10-10-13 06:48 AM
    Personally, I would jump on a slider device. Thick, thin, whatever. Doesn't matter to me. Sure, at a certain point it can be a PITA and all. Chocolate and vanilla. Different people like different things. The "BB should do this" or "BB should do that" is stale.

If I was making devices, I'd be looking to appeal to the masses -- keyboard, touch-screen, slider, etc. I'd offer them all. LOL.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    10-10-13 08:16 AM
    It was important that they release a good all-touch device to start out with in order to prove they could do one, after that going with the more popular qwerty form factor over a slider was also the right move. If the uptake of bb10 had been better then there would be room for them to branch out in form factors, but the idea that a slider should have been one of their first devices is a flawed one.

As far as an S10 being a prosumer device, the driving factors in any consumer market are thinner devices and larger displays and going with the slider blows that first part right out of the water, that n4bb-originated mock-up of a large screen qwerty device simply makes far more sense than a slider nowadays.
    Well the plan did not work for a number of reasons. They now need a cheap all touch model with a good camera. They need a bigger screen on their Q10 . They need to update the Z10 by bringing out a Z30-mini and after that if they are still in business they need a Z30 -mini slider.
    10-10-13 11:33 AM
    all i know is im buying a Q10 in December if they announce a slider after that i am going to be PISSED!
    10-14-13 11:30 PM
    all i know is im buying a Q10 in December if they announce a slider after that i am going to be PISSED!
    Almost zero chance of them doing that in the short term, the high-end qwerty is about a year away and not likely to be a slider.
    10-15-13 08:17 AM
    How do you know?

Almost zero chance of them doing that in the short term, the high-end qwerty is about a year away and not likely to be a slider.
    10-15-13 08:31 AM
    Slider or bust!

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 08:37 AM
    If they did a Slider, and that's a pretty big IF, maybe they should only have a few thousand for each country and sell them online.

Or at single carriers with super concentrated marketing. Pay a lot to push the Slider ahead of any other device, and you might see some traction.

I think that there is a market for a Slider, but it'll have to be reintroduced to the world.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    10-15-13 08:37 AM
    I'm sorry...what do you mean? The high-end qwerty is about a year away? For a new device?

Thanks.
    10-15-13 08:41 AM
    I don't think the concept of a slider is so foreign. Yes, maybe to die-hard BB users -- either keyboard die-hards or touch-screen die-hards. BB offered one in the past, limited to AT&T, and I can't speak to the masses, but I know many people who were AT&T subscribers, and they liked the device. Different story.

I don't think you will want to "push" a slider and make it your end-all, be-all -- because it's not. They already have all three -- use them. Across the spectrum. Don't limit it to one carrier. Everyone says what BB should do, could do, etc. Easy to say. Once you clean up your act...appeal to the masses and offer a diverse line-up.
    10-15-13 08:46 AM
    Just about everyone I know has a torch and is waiting for a BB10 torch to upgrade.
    Still love my torch, and would upgrade from the z10 if it ever gets released.
    10-15-13 09:03 AM
    Attachment 187808Attachment 187809

Does it look something like this?
    I like it
    acovey likes this.
    10-15-13 09:08 AM
    I'm sorry...what do you mean? The high-end qwerty is about a year away? For a new device?
    That would seem to be the logical timeframe, the leaks we know about seem to place the cheaper devices as coming next and then a new high-end all-touch coming before the new high-end qwerty.

You would think that at a minimum they would want 9 months between the z30 and its successor, which would mean roughly a june release and then they'd have to want another device launching around sept/oct for the lead up to the holiday season.

On the plus side, if they did leave such a long gap then it would tend to imply greater changes than just a spec bump to the q10, albeit a slider still probably isn't very likely.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    10-15-13 02:01 PM
    That would seem to be the logical timeframe, the leaks we know about seem to place the cheaper devices as coming next and then a new high-end all-touch coming before the new high-end qwerty.

You would think that at a minimum they would want 9 months between the z30 and its successor, which would mean roughly a june release and then they'd have to want another device launching around sept/oct for the lead up to the holiday season.

On the plus side, if they did leave such a long gap then it would tend to imply greater changes than just a spec bump to the q10, albeit a slider still probably isn't very likely.
    Thanks.

I think at this point, perhaps some of the "rules" or "norms" need to be thrown out the door. I get that they have backed themselves into a corner to some extent, but there's always a way out, LOL. Thanks again.
    10-16-13 09:14 AM
    Lmao.
    ...don't even know what to say.

I'm impressed that it worked.
    But getting tired of rumours.
    11-10-13 09:18 PM
    Great, so your real name probably isn't Asmooh either.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    11-10-13 10:08 PM
    Sliders can have problems and Blackberry does not need anymore. AT&T hates the day they decided to carry a Blackberry slider.
    I keeping hearing people say sliders have problems, if so why do so many people still have them and so many people still want a bb10 slider? I see a lot of old torches around still
    acovey likes this.
    11-15-13 08:46 PM
    I thinks a slider bb10 phone would be sick
    Then don't buy one, it's the one I'm waiting for, still 13 months on my contract.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    11-15-13 09:05 PM
    I think he means that in a good way, and not in the negative
    11-15-13 09:10 PM
    I keeping hearing people say sliders have problems, if so why do so many people still have them and so many people still want a bb10 slider? I see a lot of old torches around still
    So many in what sense of that phrase, there are basically no companies releasing a current one and when somebody like Samsung doesn't even think there is a market for a slider (unlike a flip-smartphone) then you have to know that the demand simply isn't there, regardless of a vocal minority on this site.

Also, if we are going to wrongly treat anecdotes as being the singular of data then on my part I have almost never seen anyone use an old torch with it all being bolds or curves.
    11-16-13 06:06 AM
    I'm not sure that we can definitively state that there's no market for the slider. Certainly it's fair to say that manufacturers have chased after where the market seemed to be heading, which was big slab phones. And the fact that they continue to sell becomes sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I'm not sure what the size of the market would need to be in order to make a slider a viable investment for a manufacturer. If you're thinking that it's *only* a slim segment of the declining population of existing Blackberry users, then it might be pretty hard to make a case to develop one. On the other hand, what if a good slider could bring former Blackberry users like me to the brand, and potentially even attract other business users who have never used a Blackberry? Then it would undoubtedly be worth the risk of trying one out. (But it would need to be done well.)
    There are a lot of "ifs" in there. I think the biggest one that would help overcome the inertia of developers not wanting to invest in the OS and users not wanting to switch is communicating a vision for the company and giving potential customers and business partners a sense that Blackberry has a fighting chance of turning things around.
    Personally, I am still holding out. I won't buy a Blackberry until a slider comes out, or there's a good accessory that can turn a Z30 effectively into a slider. I'm very willing to buy a BB though once that happens.
    ... To your point though, I don't know how one figures out how many people like me are out there.

So many in what sense of that phrase, there are basically no companies releasing a current one and when somebody like Samsung doesn't even think there is a market for a slider (unlike a flip-smartphone) then you have to know that the demand simply isn't there, regardless of a vocal minority on this site.

Also, if we are going to wrongly treat anecdotes as being the singular of data then on my part I have almost never seen anyone use an old torch with it all being bolds or curves.
    11-18-13 03:12 PM
    ... To your point though, I don't know how one figures out how many people like me are out there.
    The fact of the matter is that the normal qwerty devices easily outsold the sliders during the os6 and os7 days so the idea that there is this vast untapped market for BB to bring back with such a device seems very unlikely.
    11-18-13 06:33 PM
312 ... 910111213