07-14-14 08:28 AM
312 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Wrong. Any audiophile will tell you that vinyl had the best capture of actual sound than any other medium.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    Agree, 100%. Digital easier to manage and manipulate, but good vinyl is much richer than commercial digital music.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    09-12-13 05:21 PM
    A physical keyboard is to text entry what a vinyl record is to the ears of an audiophile. There's no substitute for the real thing.

Much like reading a real book vs. Reading a novel on a tablet.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    09-12-13 05:23 PM
    Let's agree and say that at least *some* audiophiles will say that. I think part of the issue has to do with how music is being recorded and distributed now. There is a lot less attention to detail because of the way most music is compressed and distributed through MP3.
    But this is straying a lot from the original point that you made. Whatever it was, I think I agreed with you. :-)

Wrong. Any audiophile will tell you that vinyl had the best capture of actual sound than any other medium.

09-13-13 09:29 AM
    I saw this!!!
    Attached Thumbnails I saw a BlackBerry 10 slider-images.jpg  
    09-13-13 09:31 AM
    I would trade my Z10 in for a BB10 slider phone, as long as the screen was at least 4". The Z10 is great and im getting used to the touch screen, but a QWERTY keyboard is what I really want.
    09-13-13 10:06 PM
    I would trade my Z10 in for a BB10 slider phone, as long as the screen was at least 4". The Z10 is great and im getting used to the touch screen, but a QWERTY keyboard is what I really want.
    A slider is the best of both worlds, large screen with full app selection and qwerty keyboard for great typing. Love my Q10 but want a slider more.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 10:29 PM
    My original point was the parallels between the apathetic virtual keyboard user/ non-BlackBerry physical keyboard user and the disenchanted iPod/mp3/CD user who needs the best sound but isn't getting it that way (vinyl was arguably the next best thing to being in the studio while it was recorded). Long story short, synthetic typing experience and synthetic music reproduction.

09-13-13 10:47 PM
    A slider is the best of both worlds, large screen with full app selection and qwerty keyboard for great typing. Love my Q10 but want a slider more.
    No, it is simply a different set of compromises than either all-touch or qwerty, while it has the larger screen and a qwerty keyboard, the device will be bulkier than either of the other two and the keyboard is generally not up to the standard of a proper qwerty either.
    09-14-13 07:27 AM
    No, it is simply a different set of compromises than either all-touch or qwerty, while it has the larger screen and a qwerty keyboard, the device will be bulkier than either of the other two and the keyboard is generally not up to the standard of a proper qwerty either.
    Well, there is no reason that the keyboard couldn't be of the same or even better quality than e.g. the Q10's.
    And yes, the device would be bulkier, but that doesn't have to be a lot. The technology to make a reasonably thin slider with a great keyboard is available. The producer just has to want to make one.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:09 AM
    I saw a BlackBerry 10 slider-slider-patent-11-620x303.jpg

Was it anything like this? This is actually a new patent.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:13 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slider-patent-11-620x303.jpg 
Views:	986 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	201804

Was it anything like this? This is actually a new patent.

Posted via CB10
    Can you imagine the sales of something as innovative as this?

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    09-15-13 07:27 AM
    The patent drawing looks a bit quirky. However a production version doesn't have to look exactly like that, and if they manage to fit all the electronics into the small space that the slide-in keyboard will leave free, then why not? It would also allow for a thinner as usual slider, and therefore address the expectation of many, who want a slider but fear it will be too bulky, based upon today's standards.
    I still strongly believe that there is a market for such a device. Even in the circle of my friends only, there are a few iphone and android users who would immediately buy one. Myself included.
    09-15-13 08:11 AM
    I just don't know if there would be enough interest.

Regardless, IMHO BlackBerry should be making as many form factors as possible to see where interest is sparked and for the ripple affect it would have on their ecosystem.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    09-15-13 01:07 PM
    I just don't know if there would be enough interest.

Regardless, IMHO BlackBerry should be making as many form factors as possible to see where interest is sparked and for the ripple affect it would have on their ecosystem.

I think there would be massive interest imho. It just has to be a convincing & sexy design and provide a great keyboard and a large screen.
    The reason why the old torch sliders were not liked by everybody was that the keyboard was not as good as the Bold's, and more cramped, and that the device was quite bulky and didn't look overly sexy.
    And still they continued the series, for a while at least, and they had a fan base.
    Imagine if a BB10 model gets released that pulls all the right triggers.
    I think the demand would be massive. Too much moaning about touchscreen typing around me to not believe in that.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-15-13 07:15 PM
    I loved my Torch. It was sturdy as hell, but slow at times. Also, I had the 9800 which lacked OpenGL for 3D gaming (added to the newer Torch line beginning with 9810). That, plus no OS upgrade, were what buried the phone. The slider design was my favorite though as was the included (but unnecessary) track pad. It was a great design, just not enough specs to keep it afloat.

09-15-13 09:34 PM
    I've heard a few sightings of this "bigfoot" as well, so don't be too skeptical. We still have a few BB10 devices coming shortly and the Z30 has already been under pretty good wraps considering it's nearly going to be released if the rumours are correct.
    09-15-13 10:23 PM
    Lol dell already tried something like that, it looks way to big for a slider, it's a great concept and hopefully BlackBerry can make a way better design
    Attachment 199341
    I own that device. It's not that huge, but it is NICE and big and I love it. Too bad I don't also love Windows Phone 7.8. I just LIKE Windows Phone, not LOVE it like BB10.

Look at all the wasted space on the top and bottom of the touchscreen though.
    That's a bit of an illusion... you have to look at that pic closely, but the blue tiles aren't the top of the screen area... there's a lot of black on the screen and because it's AMOLED, it's BLACK black, not gray black, so you're not seeing the screen until you notice that white text which is the I think time and carrier / network signal strength that is closer to the actual top screen edge. I have as much above my Z10 screen and the top edge of the phone.

BlackBerry put us in a jam. We want a bigger touch screen with better resolution, but we also want a physical keyboard, and what they have done is split the product down the middle forcing us to pick which feature we can live without. If I go Q10, it's OLED and touch but 3.1" at 720x720...but there's my physical keyboard that I love. Choose Z10, lose keyboard and OLED but pick up one inch of screen and higher resolution. It's just not right that they haven't offered a "best of both worlds" device yet.
    Very well put... but to that I'd add the hard buttons / trackpad: they've also made us abandon one of the unique BlackBerry OS 7 legacy device features that really made people like me (who like precision position control for the mouse pointer and insertion point) stick with BlackBerry through thin and thinner... I hope the new management team will also put out a device with the hard buttons again, while of course keeping their eye on the full touch slab devices that most consumers want. I'd pay a premium for such a device, because I know it would be a niche-market device with fewer prospective customers. The problem is, I think, that to put hard butttons and a track pad on a BB10 device would be some kind of admission of failure of BB engineers or developers to build a full-touch OS... so because BlackBerry is afraid of school playground teasing, they're leaving a branch of their loyal hardware fans out to dry. If a company like Samsung who clearly doesn't mind device diversity takes up the cause, it may just push more of us over to them. I hope that doesn't happen.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 09-16-13 at 01:40 PM.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-16-13 12:58 PM
    Actually, they cannot afford to be making form factor gambles right now, they need to focus on form factors where they are more likely to get sales, it is somebody like Samsung who is in the position to be trying out more form factors as losses on an unpopular one can be covered by the more popular ones.
    NickMcBride likes this.
    09-17-13 06:58 AM
    I just dont believe it... i want to though. i plan on getting a bb10 phone early next year and i hope a slider is announced by then. ... with a actual good keyboard.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-25-13 11:50 PM
    All the keyboards are good imo, just the matter if they will make it or not.
    09-30-13 10:08 PM
    Oh sweet Odin mead I wish this were true.
    10-02-13 12:55 PM
    I found a possible alternative, if enough BB users would express an interest in this accessory:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yboard-856125/
    10-06-13 09:10 PM
    I like the idea, but just like Hostess makes the original Twinkie and knock offs don't taste neatly as good, such is the situation with the BlackBerry keyboard.

10-06-13 10:19 PM
    Actually, they cannot afford to be making form factor gambles right now, they need to focus on form factors where they are more likely to get sales, it is somebody like Samsung who is in the position to be trying out more form factors as losses on an unpopular one can be covered by the more popular ones.
    I think that a slider would have been the most popular BlackBerry. There is a need for a larger screen than there was two or three years ago. No one has a good portrait slider.
    10-09-13 09:22 AM
    I think that a slider would have been the most popular BlackBerry. There is a need for a larger screen than there was two or three years ago. No one has a good portrait slider.
    Other than an excessively vocal minority there simply isn't any evidence to back up such a claim, there is a reason why nobody else makes them either and just look back to the initial bb7 devices, there were plenty of carriers that only stocked the 9900 and skipped the 9810 entirely.
    10-09-13 12:01 PM
312 ... 89101112 ...