Originally we all thought that the Onyx was the new super flagship BB replacing the Bold. We now know that there will be a Bold 2 coming up.

So is the Bold 2 another super flagship device sitting next to the Onyx or will it be even more super ultra flagship?

And on top of that what will the Bold 2 have to differentiate itself from the Onyx in the lineup?
    08-06-09 12:05 AM
    That's RIMs "roadmap" make small changes to the earlier devices slap a new model number/name and release it.
    08-06-09 12:08 AM
    The way I see it is that the Bold 2 is not needed if the Onyx is the new big daddy. Or if they are working on the Bold 2 as the king of the ring device they could of saved themselves money and never have developed the Onyx.

Bold -> Onyx -> Bold 2 = Why?

Bold -> Bold 2 = Makes sense to me, especially since I am sure that bold users are very pleased with their device and would have no problem waiting for the Bold 2.
    08-06-09 12:13 AM
    Look at the curve 8900 and Bold. Why didn't they add the 3.2MP camera and 256MB to the Bold? Both devices were probably in development at the same time. But if they did that Bold users wouldn't want to upgrade for the next 2 maybe 3 years now would they?
    08-06-09 12:19 AM
    Look at the curve 8900 and Bold. Why didn't they add the 3.2MP camera and 256MB to the Bold? Both devices were probably in development at the same time. But if they did that Bold users wouldn't want to upgrade for the next 2 maybe 3 years now would they?
    With the same logic, why didn't RIM add 3G to the Curve 8900? Because it would unseat their supposed flagship (and it would have)? I would have killed for my 8900 to have T-Mobile 3G. But I guess I'm going to have to buy the Driftwood for that.
    08-06-09 12:39 AM
    With the same logic, why didn't RIM add 3G to the Curve 8900? Because it would unseat their supposed flagship (and it would have)? I would have killed for my 8900 to have T-Mobile 3G. But I guess I'm going to have to buy the Driftwood for that.
    Flag this ship. STORM2odin!
    08-06-09 12:44 AM
    I have a theory about how RIM decides which features each one of their devices will get...

I think they first decide on the number of features a device will get. Then they put all of the possible features on individual slips of paper and drop them into a big bowl. They shake 'em up and then pull out the specified number of features.

This method explains why their "flag ship" devices can get a mediocre camera and memory whille their non "flag ship" devices get a better camera and better memory. And why some devices get GPS and some don't - no matter where they fall in the line-up.

But seriously - II just wish that RIM and Olympus would at least collaborate on a shatter-proof/water-proof BlackBerry. They can call it whatever they want to. I don't care - but as long as it's as good as my Bold is. I'll buy it!

I hope you at least got a smile out of this post. However - I am dead serious about that last part!

Peace...
    08-06-09 12:46 AM
    I have a theory about how RIM decides which features each one of their devices will get...

I think they first decide on the number of features a device will get. Then they put all of the possible features on individual slips of paper and drop them into a big bowl. They shake 'em up and then pull out the specified number of features.

This method explains why their "flag ship" devices can get a mediocre camera and memory whille their non "flag ship" devices get a better camera and better memory. And why some devices get GPS and some don't - no matter where they fall in the line-up.

But seriously - II just wish that RIM and Olympus would at least collaborate on a shatter-proof/water-proof BlackBerry. They can call it whatever they want to. I don't care - but as long as it's as good as my Bold is. I'll buy it!

I hope you at least got a smile out of this post. However - I am dead serious about that last part!

Peace...
    Wow.....good job....lmfao!
    08-06-09 12:51 AM
    I think the process is a bit more complicated than that....anyone watch South Park? Episode Margaritaville they cut the head off a chicken and throw it into a pit with the possible features and where the chicken stops that's the feature that's added.

@ CardStorm sorry the )din should be a nice device but no way its gonna be RIMs 'flagship'
    08-06-09 12:55 AM
    Actually its really simple. RIM really only upgrades devices once every 2-3 years. Devices within the same series are usually based off almost the same hardware. For example the 8700,81xx,83xx,88xx,82xx all used the exact same processor with some changes to the amount of memory. The Bold was the first 9000 series device so its fair to assume that any 9xxx device will have fairly similar specs, the form factors and some of the features will change but there probably won't be a substantial hardware bump for another year or two.
    08-06-09 09:47 PM
    I dnt think the Onyx is a replacement for the Bold because of its smaller size, the Bold comes from the 88xx series which has bigger keyboards which users need. Bold2 makes sense because its probably goin to be around the same size as the current Bold.
    08-06-09 09:54 PM
    I think the Onyx is the high end Curve successor. While the 8900has the keyboard that makes it a successor to the Curve line, I think the Onyx is the 9xxx high end version of the Curve line. It is a good consumer qwerty.

Personally, I think if the 8900 had 3G it would have been the perfect 9xxx Curve successor, but RIM is moving away from that style keyboard and repurposing it for the more mid-range market long-term I think. I have used the Tour's keyboard and I can honestly say thatfrom my perspective it is far better than the 8800's or the Bold's keyboard, and if they are going away from the Curve/8900 style keyboard, at least the latest one (Tour) is an improvement on its 8800/Bold predecessors. I still prefer separated keys though.

So the Onyx is the flagship Curve and the Bold 2 will be the new 8800/Bold.

Personally, it made more sense when each line had more individual distinction, e.g. The Curve had a cooler rounded-edge look with separated keys and an overall consumer-focus with a camera. The 8800 had a wider size and no camera for the purely business types not able to have cameras, and then the Storm as a consumer touchscreen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 02:31 PM
    I think the Onyx is the high end Curve successor. While the 8900has the keyboard that makes it a successor to the Curve line, I think the Onyx is the 9xxx high end version of the Curve line. It is a good consumer qwerty.

Personally, I think if the 8900 had 3G it would have been the perfect 9xxx Curve successor, but RIM is moving away from that style keyboard and repurposing it for the more mid-range market long-term I think. I have used the Tour's keyboard and I can honestly say thatfrom my perspective it is far better than the 8800's or the Bold's keyboard, and if they are going away from the Curve/8900 style keyboard, at least the latest one (Tour) is an improvement on its 8800/Bold predecessors. I still prefer separated keys though.

So the Onyx is the flagship Curve and the Bold 2 will be the new 8800/Bold.

Personally, it made more sense when each line had more individual distinction, e.g. The Curve had a cooler rounded-edge look with separated keys and an overall consumer-focus with a camera. The 8800 had a wider size and no camera for the purely business types not able to have cameras, and then the Storm as a consumer touchscreen.

yep, that's what I think too. The Onyx is the 3G curve, NOT the Bold replacement. so the only thing more than the 8900 would be 3G.
    08-07-09 03:36 PM
    Wow, I wish I had the money to blow on a new model each time one came out!

08-08-09 05:00 AM
    Onyx this Onyx that, everyone seems to be so psyched about the Onyx. I hope it lives up to expectations.

RIM must be doing something write, we're all on here writing about them.
    08-08-09 05:54 AM
    Onyx is not the high end Curve successor, it's in the same class as the Bold.
    08-08-09 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD