07-13-12 10:43 AM
55 123
tools
    Whel how would you change te look of the blackberry milan?
    12-13-11 06:07 AM
    http://crackberry.com/exclusive-firs...erry-10-slider

for those wanting to know what the Milan is

12-13-11 06:43 AM
    I am looking at it going yuck! looks pretty but the following bug me

NO optical track pad, the playbook lacks fine motor abilities, the phones make up for it, losing that on the phone reduces it's appeal, BUT I can hope they allow an app developer to make an on screen thumb pad, I'd pay for such an app.

Next the Keyboard, though the layout of the ALT characters are BlackBerry, the key position is strait across, not in the traditional arch of the BlackBerry, the keyboard will be the same discomfort at the Motorola Droid Pro+ and will tarnish the Blackberry Keyboard name.

I'd expect from the image it will be rocking a 4-4.3" screen, so the Keyboard will be similar in size to the Bold 9900, which will be very nice seeing as the weight and lay out of the device will make it hard to use 1 handed, making it a 2 handed device, in landscape the user can use on screen keyboard, portrait physical keys, I like the idea.

over all RIM I really hope this is far from the final engineering drawing and things like key positioning and height are really looked at, and PLEASE have more gestures than the Playbook has

I would like to see the bottom of the device continue with RIM's rounded edges, keep the top squared off, but the bottom of the torch was comfortable to hold, I don't like the shape of the bottom of that device
    joforg, CommanderElvis and jegs2 like this.
    12-13-11 06:48 AM
    I I want it to have a 3.9 inch screen and I hope that the make the logo on the bottom smaller, like. 1/2 of the size it has now
    12-13-11 07:34 AM
    I'm not sure why RIM thinks the look of their devices is as much of a problem as the (customer perceived and sometimes proven) lack of function of their devices.

The tapered bottom corners are awful and I agree with above that the rounded corners are far more comfortable in the hand. Also, it seems incongruous to be squared-off at the top and tapered on the bottom - could be just me.

I'm not a fan of sliders to begin with but it looks wide enough to support the Bold 9900 keyboard - which is the best keyboard I've used on any device I've ever owned! Rounding the bottom corners may allow for a wider keyboard maybe?

I could live without a trackpad as long as there's another future BBX device that has one included.

The BB logo needs to be moved to the back of the device and/or shrunken - it's obnoxiously large in this rendering. **** move it to the top and add a trackpad or flush touchpad area.

Since it's a slider - if it has to be a slider - a rubberized back, like the PB, would be nice.
    12-13-11 07:43 AM
    Looks?
    Nothing as long as you assure me the keyboard is not the final thing.
    The Torch keyboard as a minimum will do for me.
    Just give the thing the premuim feel it deserves and you are onto something.
    12-13-11 09:55 AM
    i think the logo on front is important or else it could be confused as the lastest droid or idevice.
    12-13-11 07:15 PM
    I could care less about an optical trackpad BUT given that the bezels are touch sensitive why couldn't the blackberry area just BE a trackpad?

The design looks good for me. I hope the keyboard is Bold 9900/9930 style. I think there is enough room given the larger screen size.
    Vee_G, CDM76 and meganVee like this.
    12-13-11 08:34 PM
    If a track pad is needed to give it what BB users expect then put it in.

But RIM shouldn't ad it just to for the sake of putting it in, it developed for a reason - to scroll through menus as the screen was not touch sensitive.

I really like the way the phone looks. A modern UI and great specs, that's what I'd like to see
    12-13-11 10:04 PM
    Curved Keyboard. D:

And I will miss the trackpad.
    At least make new keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste.
    12-13-11 10:13 PM
    i think the logo on front is important or else it could be confused as the lastest droid or idevice.

that would be because they ripped off the design of the iPhone and the bunch of androids. A BlackBerry logo doesn't make the phone BlackBerry, the style and functions, both of which this phone has abandoned, do.
    12-13-11 10:32 PM
    i want blackberry to seriously consider making a bb10 flip/touch/qwerty. sometjing like the 9670 but with the insides on steroids and the outsides sexy. Something that Cannot be compared to Android or iphone. Innovative,different,something that would make apple and google bite off blackberry. Go outside the box and make it work!! this milan looks like a droid. i dont want people to have to read the name on my phone to know what it is. I want people to know what my phone is from ten feet away.
    12-13-11 11:24 PM
    I didn't realize there was no optical track until pointed out here, not including one is a huge mistake.
    On the one hand id like it to look like a bold but on the other hand I like the large screen. Slideout eyboard is better then no keyboard (wish the Iphone had a slideout); I would consider getting one. The design has grown on me since I first saw it.

P.S. @BB-Bmore You want it to look innovative, sure that sounds good, but what do you have in mind? This might sound stupid a few years from now, but I can't imagine a phone design much different then the designs we have now. I would love to hear a good idea for a phone design thats never been done before (so would RIM).
    Last edited by Jonny1500; 12-13-11 at 11:37 PM.
    12-13-11 11:31 PM
    I hope the rim designers are going to read this thread. Needs a trackpadand the awesome bb keyboard.. Not the squared off buttons in the picture. Id also like to see the 4 standard buttons... But that is less of a issue for me.
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-13-11 11:58 PM
    i want blackberry to seriously consider making a bb10 flip/touch/qwerty. sometjing like the 9670 but with the insides on steroids and the outsides sexy. Something that Cannot be compared to Android or iphone. Innovative,different,something that would make apple and google bite off blackberry. Go outside the box and make it work!! this milan looks like a droid. i dont want people to have to read the name on my phone to know what it is. I want people to know what my phone is from ten feet away.
    Interesting thoughts. But that would require a smaller screen. Unless the phone was massive.

As for standing out, the 97xx and 99xx are highly recognizable. Recognizable and sexy? 9800 & 9810!!! I get comments about mine regularly. And I see them on ads and shows fairly often.

But, to get back on topic. The Milan. The Blackberry name up top where it belongs. On the bottom end, put the trackpad in the center, with the regular buttons on either side. BUT make the buttons backlit in a a way that they disappear in the black normally when not lit, showing when lit for use. I've seen something similar before. The bottom needs to be rounded. Depending on the width, either a 9810 keyboard or (preferably) a 9900 keyboard.
    Last edited by kraski; 12-14-11 at 01:10 AM.
    12-14-11 01:00 AM
    I'm not too concerned about it looking like a droid. Just give it the Bold 9900 keys, a trackpad, and the regular menu/phone keys on either side or incorporate them into the touch screen.
    MTL likes this.
    12-14-11 03:41 AM
    I see everyone here posting that the lack of trackpad is such a big deal.. can you guys please elaborate?

I've gone through all of RIM's touch devices to date (Storm, Torch, Bold Touch) and although I've used the trackpad when it's available, it's not something I couldn't live without. If the Milan has similar gestures (if not better by it's release) as the PB, I can't see it being a huge loss. And I think all the suggestions about making an invisible trackpad on the bezel would just cause confusion from an design and/or usability standpoint.

Especially with some of the text selection and navigation improvements that I've seen them use in the PlayBook OS 2.0 beta. I honestly think that the previous beta had the best option but they changed it up in the most recent build.

My take on the Milan. For the love of god include the Bold 9900 keyboard-it is such a fantastic typing experience I've made instant fans out of die-hard iPhone/Droid users by just letting them use my phone to type out a quick message in the past few months. If you've never used an 9900 Keyboard, you owe it yourself to try it whenever you can, you won't regret it.

Outside of that, cosmetically they could use some improvements as others have suggested but I think they are getting an better idea of what people want and this design showcases it.
    12-14-11 06:22 AM
    u know what doesnt matter how much blackberry useres complain rim has a tenedncy to not listen to its customers. so question of the day does our opinion really counts??? I think NOT
    12-14-11 06:58 AM
    A lot of these replies want to change the look of the device to the existing, and old, style of BlackBerry devices. BB10 and the phones that run it are clearly destined to break that bond and shift the look, feel and perception away from what BlackBerry was to what BlackBerry can be.

Without breaking these ties (and moving away from the existing style of phone, keyboard, trackpad etc) the BlackBerry platform won't be able to develop further and attract back users in key markets such as the US.

I agree that for many die hard BlackBerry fans the design of these devices is going to have them clawing or moaning for the older style, but without change 3rd party support won't come - something incidentally the same die hard fans also want. It's a catch 22.

The other upside is these devices look nothing like in the market, Android and iOS devices are now essentially clones in terms of hardware, a fact dominated in the news with various lawsuits. I suspect Windows Phone and BB10 may turn out to be the under dogs that slowly gain traction again as people shift away from iClone devices.

Until we have solid specs, images, video etc it's not really fair to try and change it, I say bring it on - get them out there and lets see them running first (you never know, a trackpad could no longer be needed ;-))
    highos likes this.
    12-14-11 07:59 AM
    I see everyone here posting that the lack of trackpad is such a big deal.. can you guys please elaborate?

I've gone through all of RIM's touch devices to date (Storm, Torch, Bold Touch) and although I've used the trackpad when it's available, it's not something I couldn't live without. If the Milan has similar gestures (if not better by it's release) as the PB, I can't see it being a huge loss. And I think all the suggestions about making an invisible trackpad on the bezel would just cause confusion from an design and/or usability standpoint.

Especially with some of the text selection and navigation improvements that I've seen them use in the PlayBook OS 2.0 beta. I honestly think that the previous beta had the best option but they changed it up in the most recent build.
    Interesting points. The difference I see for me is that I'm more likely to be more protective of a laptop, netbook or tablet than a phone (even a smartphone). I'm still a "cover your ****" kind of guy with the phone, though. Maybe because I'm less cautious with a phone, I'd prefer to have ways of getting to the phone function if the screen goes out -- either by hardware issue or my own klutziness. YMMV.
    12-14-11 08:50 AM
    Add a bloody trackpad. Using a mobile phone touch screen device for text editing is crap. It certainly works better on bigger phones and tablets but surely were not all going to be stuck with 4 inch+ phones from blackberry are we?
    Not sure what the back is like but give it a less slick feel. The new bb7 phones are just to slippery in feeling.

The keyboard change better be for a good reason because the tried and tested blackberry keyboard on the current phones work great!

Sure that 2 of the 3 things have always been associated with blackberries but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. These aren't the problem areas of a blackberry phone unless you're an all touch sorta person

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-11 09:16 AM
    I would like to see the trackpad retained, but I could certainly live without it if the UI provides some other means of equal precision. What I really want is a landscape slider. That would tear me away from the candybar form factor in a heartbeat.
    12-14-11 10:11 AM
    First off this phone should have the Bold 9900 keyboard because it's the best typing experience on a hand held period. This may add to the phone size but it will still not be as wide and tall as the newer Android phones. I would not be upset to see a horizontal slider if RIM wishes to innovate. Physical trackpad and buttons should stay but if they don't there should be a virtual equivalent of all of them. Also, keep the form factor simple and clean...lose the cut off bottom corners. A scaled down playbook look is preferable.
    12-14-11 11:06 AM
    12-14-11 11:44 AM
    I truly hope they're wrong! That's what pushed me into almost 100% using screen keyboards only. I pretty much don't like landscape physical keyboards.
    12-14-11 01:52 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD