So lets make a few assumptions before we get into this:
    • The first QNX Blackberry phone will be an all-touch 4" slate
    • The phone will basically be a smaller PlayBook with phone/BIS/BES/sms funtionality out of the box
    • The phone will feature a dual core processor and be able to do all the things that the PlayBook can do

My questions are:
    • How will they transfer the gesture based UI to a phone?
    • Is there going to be a black bezel around the entire phone?
    • If so, do you think that would look dumb and take up screen space? (most slates have thick bezels at the top and bottom but not on the sides)
    • Do you think they'll throw the familiar send/menu/back/end buttons in there? How about the trackpad?
    • What do you think the battery life on this potential phone will be?

Let the speculation commence.
    08-10-11 07:24 PM
    I hope they add the same gestures. I love swiping on the PB. If they did add a. Touch sensitive bezel maybe they could limit it. How much of the bezel on the PB is touch sensitive? Maybe make the bezel on the phone that width.

I don't know if they will add in the buttons and track pad on the bottom like they did in the touch torch. I myself would like it without.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 08:36 PM
    Don't all the PlayBook gestures come from the top and bottom and corners? So they could just make it the same on the phone. Have small "gesture spaces". Not a bezel all around but just a strip at the bottom and the top.
    08-10-11 08:45 PM
    It would be great to include bevel swipes on the phone like those on the playbook. But you would need to have bezel functional all around the screen like the playbook. RIM would just disable the side swipes depending upon the devices orientation, ie when vertical or horizontal, so the top and bottom bezel can change. This would give all the bezel functionality without kicking you out of a program when holding the device vertical or kick you out of a game when horizontal. The side swipe doesn’t do much more than a bottom swipe up does.
    08-10-11 09:20 PM
    I would prefer that the BB5 Stay (Call, Menu, Trackpad, return, end), With the functionality through there (Call stays for calls, but end=swipe up, menu=swipe down, and something figured out for the corner swipes)
    08-11-11 02:57 AM
    They may add some buttons. Too many people out there can't grasp how something can work with a button, and many BB people expect the call, menu, return, and end buttons on a phone. I'd be fine with all gestures, I love it, but maybe them releasing the Playbook and seeing how some people are savvy enough to root and jailbreak a device, but not drag a finger or freak out without a home button will have them go back to buttons. Again this is probably another reason they released Playbook first to see how the market responded to features and functionality.
    08-11-11 11:55 AM
    08-16-11 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD